“Great first Costa Rica experience” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
A Rosa Blanca XMAS gift!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Sydney, Australia
“Great first Costa Rica experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

We only stayed for 2 nights as we are beachbums that need sun and waves on their holiday. But our stay was definitely worth it. To sum it up, everything is pretty amazing, the staff, the rooms, the food and the location. We were greeted at the airport by our lovely driver and as we arrived at FRB the delightful experience with nice staff continued. They are not just serving you, they are engaging in conversations about culture, food etc. and also willing to improve my basic Spanish language skills. The coffee tour was a highlight and opened our eyes to a more sustainable way of living. The food is incredible especially the Ceviche and the steak. Don't forget to visit the pool and relax in the jacuzzi. This place will make you forget about any worries and relax you after just a day. We can highly recommend it.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ElGrandote, Owner at Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation & Inn, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear Robert H; Such a nice review and all the way from Australia! Thanks for all the observations and for sharing them with the TA readers. I can tell you really took advantage of many of our activities and food menus which really adds to the enjoyment. As I always mention, a stay of at least three nights is really best to enjoy, as you did, all the attributes of the hotel. Thanks so much for writing in and letting the readers know about your experiences here. Hopefully, there will be another trip to Costa Rica in your future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Stayed at Finca Rosa Blanca at the end of August almost a year ago and just now getting around to post my review. Really wanted to because this is such a special place! Showed up late Friday night, spoke with the front desk on my thoughts of what I might want to do during my 4 nights......woke up to an organized agenda typed out, including all my requests.

Loved the coffee plantation tour, my room was amazing, food was great and overall the service was fabulous. Highly recommend! I will be beck!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dear Dld8; Thanks for coming back to write this nice review- we appreciate your efforts. it will be one year soon and maybe it is time to come back?
Thanks again for remembering and for taking the time to write in.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

What an amazing experience at the Finca! First and foremost, the place is aesthetically beautiful and has that awe factor! The staff here are first rate.
They are kind, professional, and genuinely nice people! They go out of their way to be helpful! We were picked up at the San Jose airport on time and had a smiling face to greet us at the airport. When we arrived at the Finca, we met the receptionist Toto who could be called "mr. personality"... He was welcoming, funny, and singing!

Then Willison gave us the tour of the grounds, and brought us to our room. He made sure to show us the features, specifics, and gave us our itinerary. He is an amazing guy and makes you feel welcome and as if you were a long time friend!
The food at the Finca is superb! We had everything from hamburgers to Tilapia in banana leaves! The service was outstanding ! The waiters, Jorge and Omar are so funny and accommodating! They don't just serve food, they tell jokes, share info about CR culture and make dining fun!!! We went on the coffee tour with Leo and learned how to professionally sample coffee! He was the most knowledgeable, and intelligent guide! The tour was informative and fun!!!
After the coffee tour, my hubby and I both got spa treatments. He got the coffee detox, and I got the the chocolate bliss! Two hours of pure blissful indulgence. The massage practitioners are a husband and wife team and are consummate professionals! We will remember the aromatherapy used in the treatment probably forever!
On our last day at the Finca we took a guided tour with guide Manolo to San Jose. We went to the National Museum, the Fine Arts Palace, the Market and many other noteworthy places. Manolo was incredibly knowledgeable about San Jose and made the tour memorable!
All in all, La Finca Rosa Blanca is a wonderful place and if there is a heaven, I hope it will be like here! Pura Vida!!!!

• Stayed May 2013
ElGrandote, Owner at Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation & Inn, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Hola Iwasko; I want to thank you for writing about our coffee resort and for sharing your experiences with others who may be looking for a place like ours. Toto is such a charming and funny man who as you found out, loves to sing and dance. Also, I will make sure to copy this review and your nice observations to Wilson,Omar, Jorge and of course Leo, who is just a superb coffee expert and really makes the coffee tour an exciting adventuresome and delicious activity. His disciple and also a certified guide, Ulises is also wonderful and enthusiastic and if you come back soon, you will have to try a coffee tour with him. Manolo, of course, is our famous bird expert and naturalist guide- he has been with us for 16 years- and he loves to interpret the experiences with a super interesting, educational yet exciting tour. You enjoyed the capital city San José and next time we will take you tot he Casa de Cultura (The museum of culture) and then off to the Heredia Central Market, which is as authentic and interesting as it gets, where you can see stalls of everything from saddles to toys to every food you can imagine, to spices to little restaurants- all under one roof and taking up a city block.

Again thanks for taking the time to write in to Trip Advisor.
Stony Plain, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

This was my husband's and my first stop on a four-ecolodge tour of Costa Rica, our first trip anywhere tropical (we're from Alberta, Canada) and our first experience with ecolodges. Finca Rosa Blanca had its work cut out for it when we arrived. First of all Costa Rica was my bucket-list trip - I didn't know why but I needed to come here at least once in my life, so I had planned it for about a year, a long time for expectations to grow. Second, my husband and I are both chained to computers and other soul-sucking technology in our daily lives so we had to unplug.

We were warmly greeted when we arrived in a way that said, "You've made it here, relax and drink it all in." Our travel expert suggested we stay at least two nights here to begin our vacation and she was right. Sometimes it takes time to relearn how to allow yourself to take time, and it started for us when we first sat down in the beautiful dining area to have our first lunch, a casado style meal we would soon be seeking out everywhere we went (I love them!).

We strolled along the trails, played in the awesome pool and hot tub, watched birds and fireflies from our terrace and allowed ourselves to take in this new and wonderful country. Gradually, checking on email became unnecessary and the iPad saw less and less daylight. There are many different impressions I got from Finca Rosa Blanca. It is relaxed and cultural and very romantic! The solar-lit winding stroll to supper was something I looked forward to each night. It is beautiful in the sunshine and in pounding rain. The rooms and buildings have a home-made quirky feel to them with curves, windows and doors you don't quite expect. Tiles and stone floors are cool to the touch and not so perfect that they lose their soul. Finally the owner's artwork (and other's) could be seen in various places when you look around and for me they gave me sense of place and of a past that lies just under the surface, exactly the way you feel when you are a guest in someone's home. Leo, the plantation's coffee expert, led us on, what I can only call an odyssey, of not just organic coffee growing but of history, culture, politics and economics. I still can't figure out how he can speak so seamlessly about so much interconnected information! Our small group, especially two 40-something ladies me included, were enthralled (he is handsome), and I am still thinking about many of the things I learned from him.

We returned to FRB for our final night in Costa Rica about 10 days later. This time it was like returning home to our old friends. We stayed in another room, so different from the first one and just as charming. This time I knew where everything was, like home, and we both soaked in one last wonderful evening and morning. I will be thinking and daydreaming about this place and about Costa Rica for some time to come. I think this is the perfect place for someone unfamiliar to the country to start off from, and return to. My warm thanks to all the staff and the owner.

A final note: We stayed at both lower-cost and higher-cost ecolodges and it was fascinating to me to see how four very different five leaf ecolodges interpret the concept of sustainability. FRB is one of two higher-end places we chose and it was worth every penny of saving up (and it is, I think, the only one with a perfect eco score). Finally, ecolodges in general offered us an intimate interaction with the people, flora and fauna of this beautiful country and it felt empowering to leave it with minimal impact. Maybe a grandchild will come visit someday and experience it the way we did :-)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Gale; Thanks so so much for writing such a sweet review of our little resort. It is always a thrill to see such nice comments, made with a sincere feeling of satisfaction, and also we appreciate the time you took to write up such a thorough review. We are very proud, as are all the hotels in the CST program (sustainability) to create high end luxury experiences while still committing 100% to conservation, education, client services and socio economic participation in our communities. The fact that you appreciate this- as do most of our guests- -really motivates us to do even more and to try to keep this balance between exceeding expectations and making our guests feel that they are staying at a hotel that cares about the planet. I hope next time you will be able to stay for many more days so you can try some more of our activities, tours and services we offer here in the Coffee Highlands..
Again, thanks for the nice comments.
Commerce Township, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My husband and I spent our last night in Costa Rica at this hotel. We experienced the coffee tour with Leo, whom provided lots of useful information. The room was very cute and had a large bathroom. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on. Compared to the other hotels we stayed in during our week long trip, the price was more on the higher end. We couldn't afford to spend more than one night. The restaurant food was delicious and Marcos made the best mojitos!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
ElGrandote, Owner at Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation & Inn, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Dear Laura; Thanks for writing in. It is unfortunate that you couldn't stay for 3 or 4 days, as this really allows you to experience the incredible activities, sights and relaxing that goes on in and around Rosa Blanca. One of the areas most important to us as travelers and we believe everybody who wants to feel really energized wherever they might be landing, is a great bed with wonderful mattress, linens, pillows and lots of room. So thank you for mentioning that as we try to make sure that our sleeping experiences at FRB are the best in the world.
Saludos and thanks for taking the time to tell us about your stay.
northridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful time at this colorful, friendly, lovely hotel up in the hills, a 45 minute drive up from San Jose. The view of the farmland and trees, and the far-distant city lights were gorgeous. I remember the colorful tiles, relaxing patio, quiet ambience, soft bed, jacuzzi-bath -- indescribably pretty and relaxing.. We ate at their restaurant, which was surrounded by trees, and had the best waiter named Jorje. We met Carlos at the front desk when we arrived, and he was so welcoming, with his bright smile and pleasant personality - he was very helpful in many ways. Barbara was nice too, as was all of the staff.
We plan on taking our family there next year, and know they will love it as much as we do!!
Neal and Judy Webb

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Neal and Judy Webb; We really appreciate your nice comments and observations about our hotel, and of course we have told Carlos and Jorge specifically how much you appreciated their service and personalities. When we hire staff to work at FRB, we usually look for that kind of person: smart, lively, charismatic and exuberant - some would say "bigger than life". After we hire them, we then begin to train them in our unique style of service and a feeling of family.
Muchismas gracias por sus comentarios!
Hillsborough, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We traveled with 2 adults and 2 children and this provided a great location and facility for a first night stay arriving in San Jose, Costa Rica. The rooms were very nice and they were quite unique in the large house built by an Architect where he formerly lived. Take your time to look at the large room options and pick something appropriate to your needs. The staff was very friendly and nice! They also have what I hear and believe is one of the best restaurants in the area. It was very nice atmosphere and great food. You also must do the ranch and coffee plantation tour! This was very informative and our tour guide was great and the hike and view was worth the stay alone. Always nice to learn something new like this while relaxing and just enjoying the local culture. I highly recommend the whole package here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Christopher; Thanks for writing in with such nice comments- particularly about our food. The main house was built by my mother with my wife and I in tow and working alongside and she designed it with Francisco Rojas Chaves, a Costa Rican visionary architect. Although my father was an architect, he never lived there nor was involved in the construction or design.
I am so glad you enjoyed the two nights you were there, but we are really a resort so I hope next time you will be able to spend some more days (we recommend 3 nights and four days minimum) to really take in all there is to see and all the myriad activities we offer around the resort.
Thanks again for taking the time to express your comments.

Been to Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation & Inn? Share your experiences!