“Peaceful” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Santa Barbara
Commerce Township, Michigan
“Peaceful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My husband and I spent our last night in Costa Rica at this hotel. We experienced the coffee tour with Leo, whom provided lots of useful information. The room was very cute and had a large bathroom. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on. Compared to the other hotels we stayed in during our week long trip, the price was more on the higher end. We couldn't afford to spend more than one night. The restaurant food was delicious and Marcos made the best mojitos!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
ElGrandote, Owner at Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation & Inn, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Dear Laura; Thanks for writing in. It is unfortunate that you couldn't stay for 3 or 4 days, as this really allows you to experience the incredible activities, sights and relaxing that goes on in and around Rosa Blanca. One of the areas most important to us as travelers and we believe everybody who wants to feel really energized wherever they might be landing, is a great bed with wonderful mattress, linens, pillows and lots of room. So thank you for mentioning that as we try to make sure that our sleeping experiences at FRB are the best in the world.
Saludos and thanks for taking the time to tell us about your stay.

382 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
northridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful time at this colorful, friendly, lovely hotel up in the hills, a 45 minute drive up from San Jose. The view of the farmland and trees, and the far-distant city lights were gorgeous. I remember the colorful tiles, relaxing patio, quiet ambience, soft bed, jacuzzi-bath -- indescribably pretty and relaxing.. We ate at their restaurant, which was surrounded by trees, and had the best waiter named Jorje. We met Carlos at the front desk when we arrived, and he was so welcoming, with his bright smile and pleasant personality - he was very helpful in many ways. Barbara was nice too, as was all of the staff.
We plan on taking our family there next year, and know they will love it as much as we do!!
Neal and Judy Webb

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Neal and Judy Webb; We really appreciate your nice comments and observations about our hotel, and of course we have told Carlos and Jorge specifically how much you appreciated their service and personalities. When we hire staff to work at FRB, we usually look for that kind of person: smart, lively, charismatic and exuberant - some would say "bigger than life". After we hire them, we then begin to train them in our unique style of service and a feeling of family.
Muchismas gracias por sus comentarios!
Hillsborough, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We traveled with 2 adults and 2 children and this provided a great location and facility for a first night stay arriving in San Jose, Costa Rica. The rooms were very nice and they were quite unique in the large house built by an Architect where he formerly lived. Take your time to look at the large room options and pick something appropriate to your needs. The staff was very friendly and nice! They also have what I hear and believe is one of the best restaurants in the area. It was very nice atmosphere and great food. You also must do the ranch and coffee plantation tour! This was very informative and our tour guide was great and the hike and view was worth the stay alone. Always nice to learn something new like this while relaxing and just enjoying the local culture. I highly recommend the whole package here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Christopher; Thanks for writing in with such nice comments- particularly about our food. The main house was built by my mother with my wife and I in tow and working alongside and she designed it with Francisco Rojas Chaves, a Costa Rican visionary architect. Although my father was an architect, he never lived there nor was involved in the construction or design.
I am so glad you enjoyed the two nights you were there, but we are really a resort so I hope next time you will be able to spend some more days (we recommend 3 nights and four days minimum) to really take in all there is to see and all the myriad activities we offer around the resort.
Thanks again for taking the time to express your comments.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My family (including 2 daughters ages 12 and 10) stayed at Finca Rosa Blanca for two nights at the end of a recent 8-day Costa Rica vacation. We came to the Finca from its sister hotel Lapa Rios Ecolodge on the Osa Peninsula, where it was 95 degrees and 99% humidity every day. The weather in San Jose was high 70s, low humidity, and breezy. It was like heaven. We loved our villa, and the kids thought the pool was awesome, if a bit cold. We were there for Holy Thursday and Good Friday -- not the best time to visit Latin America, as everything is closed. Everything. We couldn't do a coffee tour because it was not offered; we couldn't go to the market because it was closed. The restaurant could not serve alcohol of any kind, something no one told us until we tried to order wine with our Thursday dinner. All of the closures ended up being a good thing -- we relaxed and just hung out, which meant that we returned home well-rested. But I was sad not to experience more of urban Costa Rica, and if we go again we'll be sure not to go the week before Easter!

Room Tip: The villas are lovely and spacious, and have their own balconies with a beautiful view of the valley...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
ElGrandote, Owner at Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation & Inn, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear ALTSwiss; I am so glad you wrote in about your stay with us. Easter week (Semana Santa) is really fun, with lots of processions, mask and "cimarron" (street bands) music and certainly a very culturally significant holiday throughout Latin America. Our little town of Santa Barbara is one of the oldest int he country and the old "blue" laws restricting any alcohol use has its challenges and I am sorry that you were not able to be served alcohol for those two days. We do however, as you know, stock up the minibars with wine and beer so you can enjoy these beverages int he privacy of your own room and deck. I hope that you will try Costa Rica again as these laws are certainly going to be ended very shortly, so that you can enjoy it to the fullest if you come back during this wonderful time in Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Just got back from a 10 day trip to Costa Rica and Finca Rosa Blanca was the first hotel we stayed at. It's a lovely hotel that sits on top of a hill with a beautiful view. We stayed in El Valle which was a nice enough room (we had La Gauria booked but there was a mix up with booking, so make sure you confirm your room) but a little tight with a 3 1/2 year old. In retrospect I might have sprung for the master suite to have more room.
I would also advise not to travel at night as we did, since we got lost from the airport to the hotel even with a gps. The roads are difficult to navigate and there are no signs which makes driving at night even more challenging. I personally found the gps to be so annoying I used my IPhone to route the majority of our travels (for free since most hotels have WiFi).

Activity highlights include Zoo Ave and La Paz Waterfall and Gardens. If you are wanting to do Poas Volcano call the day of to check the weather, we spent 1 1/2 hrs driving up winding roads only to find out it was cloudy, rainy and too foggy to see anything. Luckily La Paz isn't too far and was clear and sunny so the day was saved.

Overall great place to stay, away from major city and felt very peaceful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Amita78. We appreciate you letting us know about your stay here at our small hotel and for your nice comments about the hotel. We are very sorry that your GPS experience was not very good. Usually the GPS from the rental car companies are excellent but I think all of us have had experiences where they didn't seem to work at all. As you know, there are no real street signs or addresses in Costa Rica, so it is a valuable tool to depend on when traveling.
As per the Poás volcano, unfortunately the weather is variable, and because it is in the cloud forest zone of the mountains, sometimes it can be just cloudy and drizzly all day. I hope next time you come you will be able to enjoy its splendor and be amazed at the second largest crater in the world. Usually, if one travels to Poás in the morning there is a high probability that you will have a good view of the crater.
Thanks again for writing in with your comments.
Vienna, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

On our recent trip to Costa Rica, I was really looking forward to staying at the Finca Rosa Blanca. It's eco friendly, beautiful and was highly recommended. Out of the 4 hotels we stayed at, it was consistently the second highest rated among the 10 members of our group, and was by a large margin the most expensive. That's just something to know up front, because it affected our experience. For example, I was very much looking forward to viewing the plantation, but there was a $35 per person tour to see it. You couldn't drink the coffee free of charge unless it was at breakfast or at the afternoon tea (which which we missed both days due to a slightly later arrival and taking the actual tour, where we didn't get to drink coffee). Additionally, breakfast is included, but my son ordered French Toast with a side of bacon. We received a bill for the side order, so that was an annoyance, given that the stay was costing a fortune. I thought there would be opportunity to take long beautiful hikes, but the hiking trails were somewhat short. We did thoroughly enjoy the food--even the kids meals were fresh and healthy. Loved the super fresh gazpacho. The rooms were just completely incredible. The Ranchito suite for 5 looked like a treehouse, with beautiful paintings and great access to the chemical free pool area. The Boyero villa had 2 rooms, to bathooms, to lovely balconies to enjoy the sweeping landscape, and a small bedroom for the younger child in our group. Everyone also commented about loving the delicious smelling toiletries provided in the showers. We opted to take the tour--we weren't charged for children under 11 so that did provide some relief. The tour guide, Leo, was very informative. I know so much about coffee and how it's made and have a great appreciation for the process. At the end, there is a tasting (using coffee grinds, not drinking the coffee) that also was interesting. The staff was helpful and friendly. I do think this place would be perfect for a honeymoon or romantic getaway!

Room Tip: For a family that would like privacy, the Villa Boyero is excellent because it has 2 separate balcon...
Dear Jade 618;
Thanks for writing in and for letting us know about your stay at Finca Rosa Blanca. I am sorry you felt the coffee tour was too expensive, as it is a 2 and a half hour hands on tour with a full cupping at the end, with Leo Vergnani, one of the country's most knowledgeable experts on coffee.
However, I am glad you liked the food and that we were ranked so high on your family poll. I hope that if you come again, you will be able to take some other tours that we offer liek our volcano tours, our zip-line canopy tours, horseback riding or the central market and cultural tour in the Heredia central market, one of the oldest in the country.
Again, we appreciate your writing in and letting us know about your experience.
Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Costa Rica is a beautiful country. Unfortunately, its capital city, San Jose, and the surrounding urban areas do not share in the country's great beauty. That's why we were delighted to find Finca Rosa Blanca and begin our stay of Costa Rica there.

Finca Rosa Blanca is a little outside San Jose itself. If memory serves, its about a 30 minute ride from the airport. Traveling through the metropolitan streets was quite depressing, but suddenly the front gate of FRB opens up and it's like you're in a different world.

The Inn is not one building but a collection of villas and rooms scattered throughout a large piece of property. My family and I stayed in one of the villas for a couple of nights. It has what some might call a "rustic" feel to it -- no electronics other than a digital clock and a little coffee maker, for example. It was lovely, however -- roomy for us and tastefully decorated. The grounds are immaculately maintained with many paths provided to enable peaceful strolls throughout.

The Inn offers a pool with crystal blue water that is not chemically treated in any way. My kids loved that. What I loved was one of FRB's crown jewels -- its restaurant. Open for desayuno, almuerzo y cena, it provided us with some of the best meals we had during our stay in Costa Rica. The only quibble was a couple of disappointing desserts one night -- otherwise, every dish was a success.

If you stay, you should take advantage of the tours and other activities provided. One day, we took the tour to the Poas Volcano, which is stunning. I also recommend the coffee tour. The guide, a delightful gentleman named Leo, runs the coffee operations at FRB and taught us so much during a two hour tour. Even my fidgety 10-year old loved it.

The lasting impression I have of Finca Rosa Blanca is the courtesy extended to us by every single member of its staff. Everyone was so polite and helpful! I am at the stage of life when service and courtesy are most important, so I was completely won over by the exemplary service shown by the staff of Finca Rosa Blanca. Such professionalism reflects well on its owners and management.

If your travels take you to the central area of Costa Rica, you must stay here.

Room Tip: In addition to several rooms, FRB has two villas, which can each accomodate a family of five.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Rorytory; Thanks for taking the time to write into Trip Advisor. We are particularly happy to hear such great comments about our staff- so many of them have been with us for many many years, and Leo started with us in 1995 ( we opened in 1989) and others almost as long. We pride ourselves on our guests comfort, feeling of security and great service and food, and then to have the 30 acres or more of gardens and coffee fields around us adds to the tranquility, the beauty and the fresh tropical air and climate.
Thanks again and we hope to see youa again. Please tell your kids hello for me.,

Been to Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation & Inn? Share your experiences!