“Great start to trip” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Santa Barbara
Farmington Hills, Michigan
“Great start to trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed at FRB for the first 3 nights of our 12 day trip to Costa Rica. A great choice. Our room (El Guarumo) was very comfortable, although a little smaller than the presentation on the FRB website. The entire staff was friendly, helpful and personable. One of the best places we have ever stayed at. The tour guides are fantastic...Manolo, who made our day really enjoyable with his extensive knowledge of the area on our Poas Volcano and La Paz Waterfall Gardens tour and Leo on our coffee tour. Our waiters deserve kudos...Jorge and Marcus. Also, the owner came by our table at dinner and we enjoyed a pleasant conversation along with making us feel very welcome. The food at the restaurant was excellent, and the view of San Jose was beautiful and unique. What a great place! We recently returned home and started planning on our return visit to FRB next February.

Room Tip: Use the FRB website to help choose your room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ElGrandote, Owner at Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation & Inn, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Hello again Izers; It was a pleasure meeting you and I enjoyed hearing about your tour with Manolo and all the great stuff you did with our guides and staff. That is exactly why we always recommend to our guests and travel agents that a three night stay is really the minimum to really gtet to know our farm and the Central Highlands. I hope you can stay in one of our other rooms next time so you can experience something different. Don't forget to look at the bottom of the photos page of the rooms where there is a schematic, drawn to scale drawing of each room so you can see the exact size - this will help a bit with determining where you want to stay, although all of them are at least 350 square feet in total. Thanks for sharing you perceptions and we really appreciate all of your nice comments.

382 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We stayed in la Carreta and spent two nights at Finca Rosa Blanca. We added one night at the very last moment as we flew in early trying to stay ahead of winter storm Nemo...They were very accommodating and efficient and sent a confirmation via email right away.
We loved this place, la Carreta was spacious with a private yard overlooking the Central Valley and felt like a dream after several hours on a plane and leaving the cold and snow in New York. Certainly a very tasteful hand at work and the murales all around were beautifully made and full of character. We were welcomed with a fruit drink and the staff was cordial, warm and very helpful. We had two meals at the restaurant and the food was tasty and nice and a bit pricey.
The room was extra quiet and very very comfortable.
We had the coffee farm tour and it was very interesting and the views from the hill are amazing.
Overall on the pricey side but worth every penny...highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hola Dani66; I want tot hank you for writing in about your stay in "La Carreta" room- it is where the kitchen used to be many years ago when the restaurant was still in the main house. I personally love the huge mural painted by Oscar Salazar and the incredibly huge deck with those great views to the Central Valley. Please come back and visit again and try another of our rooms- they are all different with a particular style. Again, thanks for taking the time to write in.
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Our guide Manolo showed us the unique plants, animals and especially birds of this area. The entire experience is warm and friendly yet private and peaceful. The amenities are superior, lovely pool and restaurant. Our waiter, Marco was suave and very helpful with the menu and wine, In short we had a fab and unforgettable stay. Next trip will stay longer and take more of the sight seeing tours..

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
ElGrandote, Owner at Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation & Inn, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Hola Janemartian; I am so pleased that you got to spend some time with Manolo, our renowned bird expert and guide. We have over 125 seen species here at Rosa Blanca, including the Montezuma Oropendola, the Blue Crested Mot-Mot, the Gray Necked Wood Rail, the Painted Bunting, Scarlet Tanager and so many more beautiful birds. In fact, Chris Wood, the Cornell Birding Center expert just spent about 2 days here with us birdwatching in the coffee farm with us and it was really a splendid morning. Next time you will have to stay for 3 or 4 days at least to see all the other wonders of Rosa Blanca and to go on many of our wonderful authentic and personalized tours of the Central Highlands and volcanoes.
Thanks for writing in!
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We recently stayed for a few nights at this hotel. We booked it based on reviews on Trip Advisor comparing it to perfection and heaven on earth. While we enjoyed our stay, I think it would be fair to take the level of enthusiasm over this place down a notch.

Oh, and please, if you are trying to find this place on your own, get a GPS. We have driven all over Costa Rica in the past few years but have never become hopelessly lost like we did on our way to this hotel. We had a map, an iPad and printed out directions, but that doesn't help when there are no street signs anywhere. Some locals helped us out, but the problem is, most of them don't know the names of streets either! To the MAJOR credit of this hotel, they really came through. I emailed them telling of our dilemma (as my phone can't make outgoing calls internationally) and they phoned us in minutes. To avoid this in the future, we will always travel with a GPS. Life lesson learned.

The good:

-The staff are outstanding here. They are so friendly, respectful and helpful and genuinely seem to care about the guests. They are really top notch and we enjoyed getting to know them.

-The coffee tour was really interesting and well worth it. The guide, Leo, knows everything there is to know about coffee and opened our eyes to the reality of the problems in the coffee industry and how difficult it is to know whether what you are purchasing actually reflects what is on the label.

-The food was enjoyable and the restaurant wasn't badly overpriced, which is good, considering it's the only food available on the resort other than the cashews, chips and chocolate bars left in the minibar in the room (for a price...)! The Tico breakfast is great, the steak is so-so (but I knew that going in, as beef isn't the shining star of Costa Rican cuisine...) and of course, the coffee is delicious.

-The grounds are really lovely and there's a great view of the city

-The jacuzzi tub in the room is a great place to relax, drink a glass of wine and contemplate the tough questions of life, like "When should we leave for dinner?"

-The look of the pool--it's really quite something to take in. But it has some drawbacks. (Foreshadowing!)

The bad:

-The rooms weren't quite what I expected based on the frenzied fervour that appeared in other reviewers' posts. One thing is for sure: they are definitely "unique." But "unique", as I discovered, doesn't necessarily mean "wonderful." The small kitchen area was nice, but there was no real place to sit down and relax. The bedroom was much smaller than it appeared on the website photos, which were obviously taken with the same space-enhancing cameras that are used to take real estate photos. We left a package of crackers on the counter for 10 minutes and it was infested with ants. This does come with the territory, but I've never seen them this bad, even at other "eco" lodges. The overall feel was a bit dated and although clean, not totally fresh. Basically, for the amount we were paying, I was expecting comfort, freshness, luxuriousness and tranquility. It's not that the room was bad, but it didn't reach the level you normally get when you are paying more than $300 a night. If it was half the price, I'd say the value for the money was well worth it. And although I did enjoy the stay, I'm not sure I would do it again because I don't think it is a justified splurge. To put it another way: this place was, by far, the most expensive room we booked during our stay at three separate areas in Costa Rica, and it was our least favourite.

-The pool was cold. Not a huge catastrophe, but as my travel companion said, it requires a "leap of faith" to jump into the water. That was a bit disappointing because we had really been looking forward to making good use of the pool.

So that's it: a nice place that seems to cost way too much. Not exactly what you'd be expecting based on other raves on this site.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Dionne_ssm; Thanks for writing in- I am so sorry that you got lost here, although sometimes it happens as Costa Rica does not nor has it ever used street names, numbers or signs- we rely on landmarks and verbal descriptions which is an art form-unto itself. I did receive your email asking for assistance and I am glad we were able to get back to you quickly so you could find your way. We do suggest to everybody that they get a GPS when they arrive here and usually they are quite efficient, but sometimes there are glitches..
I am really sorry we didn't meet your expectations with the room.. Our photos of the rooms are taken by us with no tricks or special lenses, other than a wide angle one, so we can get as much of the unique hand made furniture and vast art collection into the frame as possible. I am also sorry it seemed as if the rooms were larger, although the smallest room in the hotel is more than 400 square feet and all have quite large decks outside as well.
However, thanks for taking the time to write in and for trying to be objective- i am just sorry we didn't leave you with the same general excitement that almost all of our other guests write in about.
Burdett, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Landing at Finca Rosa Blanca at the end of my trip was like stepping from the realm of mortals onto Mount Olympus. Everything about the hotel was perfection. The inn combines a perfect balance of elegance, comfort, and eclecticism. The inn exudes and exemplifies Costa Rica and works hard to immerse guests in all of the amazing experiences, artwork and vegetation that the country has to offer without coming off "touristy" or "gimmicky."

I have stayed in numerous high-end hotels throughout the world, including many Exclusive Resorts locations and high-end boutique hotels, but this inn swept me off of my feet. It had all of the details that I wanted in a beautiful hotel: ethnic identity, luxury and welcoming charm.

I stayed in the room, El Cafetal. The room was stunning and filled with natural light and hand-made furniture. The views out the windows and off of the private porch across the coffee plantation were stunning. It was a dream to be able to sit in the over-sized tile Jacuzzi and look out the window over the plantation at the mountains in the distance. The circular, cylindrical shower was inspiring, especially with the light coming down from the overhead skylight.

From the buildings to the decor, the entire hotel is absolutely stunning and illustrates the essence of Central American aesthetics. The artwork throughout all of the buildings and rooms are sublime, unique and tasteful and the tiles that are used generously throughout the property are absolutely beautiful.

Located at a coffee plantation, the Inn offers a unique window to one of the major and most infamous exports of Costa Rica. Tours of the coffee plantation are easily available. I was visiting during harvest season and it was wonderful to watch as employees picked the coffee. The opportunity grow my understanding of the cultural impact that coffee has on Costa Rica and also witness different sustainable organic methods of raising coffee was unforgettable.

The inn's gardens are absolutely majestic and transport you out of Santa Barbara (San Jose) and into a magical and tropical paradise. Throughout the grounds many of the indigenous plants and trees are labeled, making the entire property feel akin to a botanical gardens.

However, what really made this hotel a memorable experience was the staff. From the first moment when I arrived through the beautiful gates, the staff was welcoming, friendly, accommodating and sincere. Everything was perfect about the service, from the fantastic waitstaff at the restaurant to the fact that when I returned from dinner they had turned down my bed for me in my room.

I also had the opportunity to meet and get to know the owners.Glenn and Teri, during my visit. They are a passionate, vivacious, creative and up beat American couple who has fully embraced Costa Rica. Their drive to share their love of the country is phenomenal, as is their dedication to their inn.

This hotel is a must see, must stay awhile.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Hola E; Thanks for writing in and for sharing your experiences with the readers on Tripadvisor. It was so great for us to meet you and to hear your wonderful stories about your horse stables in the center of New York state. I am so glad you could go riding in Santa Ana and we loved hearing your observations about the difference3s between Costa Rican horses and our own "Criollo" version, which are great dancers and very hardy horses.
Your trip sounds really amazing and I am glad that Finca Rosa Blanca brought you so much happiness, especially because you had a lot to compare us to. And thanks for mentioning our sustainability efforts, that is something that both Teri and I are completely dedicated to, as we feel that people and businesses have a responsibility to give back to their communities, conserve the environment and not to waste our natural resources. We take pride in the facet that after 28 years we have learned to do this without sacrificing the luxury, comfort and high expectations of our guests.
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

The property is slightly removed from close by activities but, for a honeymoon or relaxation spot this could be a fabulous place to visit. The food and service were commendable and the accommodations unusual but comfortable. The infinity pool and jacuzzi set up were great places to visit on the warm weather days; the pool is an excellent lap swim pool. Nearby villages can be walked to but provide limited eating options. Anything more requires cab or rental vehicle to reach the venue. Choose this place for recovery or celebration for couples. This is not a place for young families with kids. The coffee plantation tour was outstanding.

Room Tip: We were in the Gariaria / Robles unit providing a perfect spot for a couple and our two adult childr...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear NeedSher;
Thanks for writing about how relaxing our place can be, it indeed is a fabulous place with the world's best climate for relaxing and indulging in food, spa and other de-stressing activities. It is also great for families, as we offer a myriad tour opportunities and on ground walks so that families can enjoy themselves together and come back from hours of excitement to slow down, swim or just lay around the rest of the day. Something for everyone!
Of course if you are honeymooners... well you know, this is perhaps the most romantic spot on earth to spend time with your loved ones, surrounded by our lush gardens, private nooks and crannys everywhere and the romantic "El Tigre Vestido" restaurant where you can dine by the fireplace at night (yes it gets a bit chilly at night) or on our deck looking down to the coffee farms and Valley below. You choose.
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My husband and I booked a coffee tour with Finca Rosa Blanca. We were amazed at the knowledge and enthusiasm of the tour guide, Leo. His clearly loved what he did and it came through in the tour. We learned so many amazing facts about coffee and the environment; it has changed our views on large coffee companies. Even if you are not staying at Finca Rosa Blanca (we did not, we stayed in a beautiful B&B in Barva called Casa de Flores) I greatly suggest taking the coffee tour at Finca Rosa Blanca.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear AmandaH;
I am so glad you got to take the coffee tour at Rosa Blanca. next time you should try and stay for a few days with us to take advantage of all the other activities and pampering we offer at our little resort (I say little even though we have 35 acres of coffee and gardens because we only have 13 rooms).
If you want more of our coffee, you can order it online at CafeMilagro.com
Thanks for writing in.

Been to Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation & Inn? Share your experiences!