“If perfection is what you need” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Summer Coffee Special
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Epe, The Netherlands
“If perfection is what you need”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

There is no doubt about the fact that this is a very comfortable, well-organised hotel. As soon as we parked our car in the parking lot (close to the hotel), the porter came to us to hand over an umbrella. Another member of the staff drove us (!) to our room in one of their golfcarts, which was just about 30 meters ahead. The decadence of it… The waiters will call you in no time by your name, which confused me a little… I don’t know which feeling dominated: did it feel amicable or uncomfortable/strange? The manager was around from time to time, which I think is important. He was friendly, a real gentleman and he came over to talk to us twice. The other members of the staf are very friendly too and many people are working all day to maintain the beauty of this inn.

The rooms have just about everything one can desire, especially when coming straight out of the jungle to recharge. Our room (Las Aves) had it’s own little garden. Each room is different with it’s own advantage. Ours was very pretty with all kind of bird paintings (of course) on the walls. After one week jungle we were happy to give our clothes to the laundry service. It was ready in just a few hours. Close to perfection…

Also the food is, as one might expect, delicious. Breakfast, lunch and dinner is served in their romantic open-air restaurant. I think the best part of our stay was the coffee tour with the Italian Leo. He is like a walking dictionary, this man is unbelievable. Not only he knows everything, he is also a real good story teller with a lovely sense of humour. It was a privilege to have met and listened to him.

Although this is a beautiful place to stay, it is for a certain kind of tourist/visitor. I think we are way too adventurous and far too economical to stay here again. It is expensive and it deserves people that love to hang around in the spa, the swimming pool or get a massage after a half day of sight seeing. People who come to Costa Rica who don’t want to get dirty... Too civilized and proper for us, but still a very nice location and with a great contribution to sustainability. Bravo!

Room Tip: Las Aves is a beautiful room with it's own small garden. The bathroom is 'hidden' in the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ElGrandote, Owner at Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation & Inn, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Groenpepi; Thanks so much for your detailed and sincere review of our hotel and coffee plantation. Unfortunately you didn;t have the time to partake in some of our more adventurous tours, like the climb up to Barva Volcano, only 12 kilometers from us. Depending on your level of activity one can spend all day climbing and trekking in the cloud forest and eventually arrive to a very remote and beautiful lake at the base of the volcano. We offer all kinds of day trips and adventures, from the most passive to the very difficult and I hope next time you come, you will be able to participate in some of these.
Our staff love our guests and remember their names because they want to "embrace" our visitors as part of our family at FRB. And thank you for commenting on our food, we believe in the farm to table approach, using ingredients from our own organic greenhouse, the multitude of fruit from our trees and the creative dishes brought forth by Oscar Picado our chef, all of which add to the end of the day experience.
See you next time for some new adventures?

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Morristown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

After staying at the Finca Rosa 8 months ago with my girlfriend (and now fiance) and having traveled to many places since, I've decided to write a quick review after realizing NOTHING compares to this Inn. If you are looking for a warm and relaxing destination, look no further. The Inn does not have many rooms and we loved that about it. Its not so big that you get lost on the resort and forget what country you are even in. The rooms are amazingly clean and the views from the room are so relaxing and wonderful. They have a terrific restaurant on site and it is a 60 second walk from the rooms. The staff here is SO warm and friendly. They truly make you feel as though you are home and they even get to know you on a first name basis when they see you. At dinner you have the option to eat inside next to a beautiful fireplace or outside where you have a spectacular view. Finca Rosa truly made us understand what life is like outside of technology and the hustle and bustle of our real life. We have never, NEVER been so relaxed and peaceful. We sometimes think back of our last night eating desert in front of the fireplace and remember how happy and relaxed we felt. If you are looking for a wonderful Inn to get away from the fast paced life back home, look no further. We went on tours every day and got back to the Inn in the afternoon giving us enough time to rest before a fantastic and peaceful dinner. I highly recommend the ziplining and Poas volcano tour...you are literally above the clouds at this volcano! We spent four nights at the Finca Rosa and it is to this day our favorite vacation we've been on...and we have been to Paris, London, Heidleberg, Hawaii, Napa, Sonoma, Aruba, Puerto Rico, etc etc etc...nothing compares. Finca Rosa is a hidden gem in this world.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
ElGrandote, Owner at Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation & Inn, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Dear Snardiello; What a wonderful and stimulating review of Finca Rosa Blanca. I am so moved that you felt the need to write to Tripadvisor after so many months, as this means the experience stuck with you all this time, something we strive for. And you know, when our staff receives a list of achievements and successes in giving our clients the best experience possible, it really makes them feel elated and they feel so proud and rejuvenated. We try to offer the best service, accommodations, food and personalized treatment possible and it is so rewarding to hear your experience included all of these attributes. Spending four days is the perfect amount of time to be here, and as you well know, the tours, activities and down time really have a great symbiosis with the whole experience. Until next time!
Thanks again for really detailing your perspective of your stay here and we hope to see you very soon.
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

This place is wonderful. The service was great, and the room was beautiful. The restaurant was very good too. Definitely do the plantation tour - the guide is very knowledgeable and nice, and makes the whole tour lots of fun. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear MK1010;
Thanks for taking the time to write in to TripAdvisor with your thoughts on our small hotel. We very much appreciate it.. We hope we will see you again soon for a longer stay so you can really get the benefits of all the activities and our central location.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed at Finca Rosa Blanca at the end of September for the first 2 nights of my 7 night trip to Costa Rica from New York. I had just completed a very long and stressful summer job and managed to fall ill right before my trip. I just wanted to catch up on sleep, feel better, and rest, so that I could do some more adventurous things during the rest of my trip. I found this Inn originally on Trip Advisor while searching for a relaxing place to stay close to San Jose for the beginning of my trip. At the last minute, I booked 1 night (the 2nd one, as I couldn't book same day) and prayed that when I arrived at SJO I could take a taxi and there would be a room available that night.

Upon arrival, Ed greeted me with a big smile and quickly took care of me. He honored the same Trip Advisor rate for the night and also made it so that I could stay in the same room both nights. They quickly prepared the room for me while I had a bite to eat. He gave me some information about the Inn and activities that were available.

The room was perfect. Very clean and with a beautiful view. The pillows were the most comfortable ones I have ever slept on!

The best part about Rosa Finca Blanca is the attention and service you receieve from all of the staff. Ed, Toto, Wilson, Javier, and Barbara at the reception area were all very helpful with any questions that I had. Marvin took amazing care of me in the restaurant for every lunch and dinner and even noticed the first evening that I was ill, and made a very special ginger tea for me. Luis took care of me both mornings for breakfast with a big smile. Miguel, the F&B Manager, was very present and continually checked in on me. Although I only spent 2 nights/3 days, I felt like I knew the entire staff.

All of the food was incredible. It was fresh and all had a great presentation, and of course, the views from the restaurant were incredible!

Pablo, the Massage Therapist was wonderful! I booked a last minute appointment and opted to do the 90 minute Coffee Detox to include a 60 minute massage, coffee body scrub, and mini steam/facial. It was amazing and in fact I think it was closer to 2 hours. I felt great after! I chose this particular one as the massage was meant to drain your system, and given I had a cold, thought it would be a good choice, and it was!

Upon departure, Barbara took great care of me. She helped me with a taxi to the bus station, and gave me some suggestions on where I should visit. I took her recommendation the last 2 nights and went to Manuel Antonio. Boy, am I glad that I did!!

It was so nice to be so well taken care of, as I manage hotels for a living, I pay very close attention to the details and must say that this was the best guest service I have ever received while traveling.

I was also traveling alone, and received such care and attention. At no point did I feel uncomfortable there. Javier gave me some tips on traveling alone in Costa Rica and a card with information and local phone numbers.

A huge kudos to Finca Rosa Blanca and their entire staff. I couldn't thank you more for starting my trip off so nicely!
Wishing you all the best, and hoping to be back in the near future!

Room Tip: The room, El Cafetal, was perfect. Although I did not see the others, this one was located in the ma...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
ElGrandote, Owner at Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation & Inn, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Kimo384; Wow, what a great ego boost for us at FRB! All of the staff read this with such smiles on their faces, Ed, Toto, Wilson, Javier, Barbara,. Marvin, Luis and Miguel, the F&B Manager. I also showed this to Karina and Pablo in the spa and they grinned from ear to ear. Your reaction is what we hope every guest will have and we really work hard to make sure the experience is something beyond what they had hoped. Of course, it is easy for the staff to do this, as they love the guests and they all live close by, so it is a kind of pride in their community that also spawns this kind of mega service.
Oscar Picado our chef said to say thank you for your observations about the food, as he is so focused on the fresh food, in season slow food approach to cooking and loves to share the Costa Rican ingredients and cuisine with our guests. he grew up and lives only a couple of kilometers from here, so for him it is showing off his home town recipes.
Again, thanks so much for your kudos and for taking the time to tell us how much you enjoyed your stay.
Ojai, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

This is "responsible luxury" at it's finest! Once a barren hillside, tortured by a "motor cross" course, the Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation is now a reforested, lush, tropical hidden jewel nestled in the foothills around San Jose, Costa Rica. Finca Rosa Blanca is a lovely, magical, romantic retreat where you can have all the amenities, and feel good about choosing an environmentally and socially responsible destination…

We know you are addicted to your Starbucks, but here you can have some of the world’s best brew, and its organic too. There are many things for us stewards of the planet to feel good about while we linger at the lovely Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation and Inn. A destination in itself, offering top notch, but unpretentious, accommodations that are some of the most sustainably built structures in the lodging industry. Finca Rosa Blanca includes a variety of energy saving methods, a spring fed, chemical free solar heated pool with its own 16 foot waterfall, a mini rainforest preserve were meandering paths lead you to the hiding places of elegant orchids, 5 star dining including organic and vegetarian offerings coming from their own permaculture gardens… oh, and did I mention the organic, shade grown coffee plantation?

The service provided by the Finca Rosa Blanca staff is personable and first class. The resort makes a great way to "bookmark" any trip into Costa Rica. We traveled in September during the "Green" (rainy) season that wasn't actually as rainy as one would imagine. We arrived at the San Jose airport late into the evening on the first day of our week conducting sustainability reviews for Cayuga Sustainability Management properties throughout Costa Rica.

We were first met by a representative whose sole job it was to whisk us through customs and on to our awaiting Driver / Concierge / Coffee Barista Leo Vernari. Leo conducts coffee plantation tours and will teach you how the experts discern and rate gourmet coffee by participating in a “coffee cupping” (catación) session. It was a short drive through the typico neighborhoods with closely set, metal roof stucco homes on narrow, winding roads filled with locals commuting under their own steam. Leo cheerfully began enriching us with a myriad of information about the area, the culture and Finca Rosa.

A sudden, romantic contrast to the neighborhood streets, we turned through a gated wall into the Finca Rosa Blanca property shrouded in fog and beautiful mystery by night. The rainforest provided a veil, filtering the light rain, but immediately upon arrival, we were presented with umbrellas by the staff. At the Reception Building, the staff welcomed us with smiles and offers of beverages, and immediately went to task arranging all of our departure information since we were leaving the next day to tour other properties. A bellman provided an electric cart to our room, Le Guardia, one half of the Villa Laguna that can be reserved as a larger unit for families or groups.

All of the buildings at Finca Rosa, designed under the supervision of Francisco Rojas Chaves, a renowned architect for his understanding and implementation of sustainable practices, offer a very organic architectural style reminiscent of Gaudi. The undulating curves of the stucco buildings are an elegant fit in the rainforest setting. Carefully chosen building materials include framing timber reclaimed from highway construction, roofing tiles of recycled plastic and bamboo pole ceilings. Each room is unique... whimsical and elegant at the same time. Throughout the property, you are surrounded by fabulous murals depicting the flora and fauna of the region. Mattresses from recycled and organic materials, natural cotton sheets, bamboo towels, low flow toilets, solar powered faucets, and reclaimed material furnishings were selected for use in the rooms. Skylight domes conserve on energy by providing natural daylight and passive ventilation. Hand crafted rain chains help to divert water away from buildings. At 4000 feet elevation, all the rooms have heavenly views of the valley below.

The El Tigre Vestido restaurant on the premises creates nuvo delectible variations on the local cuisine utilizing organic produce from their own gardens and local suppliers. Memorable complimentary breakfasts are offered on the veranda overlooking the shade grown coffee fields and on to the Central Valley below.

The Finca Rosa Blanca property was originally purchased and developed with the idea of creating a socially, architecturally and biologically friendly home on a former “motor cross” field. Later, that purpose evolved to include a center for the interchange of ideas and experiences, and then the Inn to accommodate the guests who could participate in the experiment. We agree that the Inn "continues to be a leader in sustainable tourism, proving that deluxe accommodations and excellent service are compatible with sustainable development", and feel that the owners at Finca Rosa Blanca have achieved their goal "to be a global example of biological, architectural, educational and social responsibility that both enhances tourists’ experiences and develops their social and environmental conscience".

The property has been awarded top honors in the EcoLogic LifeStyle EcoExcellence Award for sustainability practices, along with numerous other awards. We hope this property will serve as a role model to lodging facilities and resorts throughout the world.

Room Tip: The El Ranchito Master Suite is the most secluded in its own casita, so it's perfect for Honeymo...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Hola Ecologiclifestyle; What a wonderfully written and considered review. I am so proud to be part of your award where our property has been awarded top honors in the EcoLogic LifeStyle EcoExcellence Award for sustainability practices. It makes me glow when I read about how the sustainability policies that are so dear and important to us are part of the overall positive experience.
As you wrote, the time you spent at Rosa Blanca made you "... feel good about choosing an environmentally and socially responsible destination".

Also, the detail in the descriptions of your experience were so well thought out, profoundly experienced and very pleasing for all of us at Finca Rosa Blanca to read. Thanks so much for really delving into what makes us tick and I hope you will be back with friends!
Grand Cayman
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Every summer my mother, sister and I take a trip somewhere for a week or two. I went to Costa Rica for a school trip in 2006 and LOVED it and thought it would be fun to take my mother and sister. We were in Costa Rica for a full week and decided to spend the entire time at FRB! The place itself was awesome! Everyone was so friendly and always available to help. We did a lot of excursions as there is not too much to do on location. FRB had a lot of information about the different things to do and also did all the planning for us. We went river rafting, zip lining, on a city tour, coffee tour, and saw the waterfalls, volcano and gardens. We stayed in El Higueron, which was very cozy but quite small for 3 people. There wasn't much space for us to put our luggage and we were living out of suitcases for the week. There is one restaurant which had amazing food!!! The service at the restaurant and bar was also very good. One day we went on a long excursion from 6am until 7pm and when we got back we were absolutely exhausted and did not feel like getting dressed and going down to the restaurant for dinner so we asked one of the waiters if it would be possible to get 3 pizzas brought to our room, he said it was no problem and brought our food promptly! The coffee tour done by the hotel on their very own coffee plantation is amazing! We learned so much and now have a completely different view of coffee. I will for sure look into going back to FRB on my next visit to Costa Rica!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hola Meged5; I just reread your review from your stay here a short while ago and I want to thank you for taking the time to write about us on Trip Advisor.. I really enjoyed meeting you all and spending some time talking to you while you were enjoying Chef Oscar Picados' delicacies. I was sad to see you go after so many days here and I know you didn't have enough time to enjoy all we had to offer, so I hope you will return again and take advantage of some of our other activities. Please say hello to your mother and I hope we will all be able to share some more stores soon.
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We loved staying here. The food was really good but the best part was the place itself. It is loaded with interesting details ,that have an organic feel to them. They are too numerous to mention. For instance the balcony supports look like jungle vines. We enjoyed our vanilla oil soak in the tub that had privacy with the windows open. The place is tastefully decorated with local art and is wonder to take it all in. The owner is an artist and it certainly reflects in the architectural nuances of the place. The staff was first rate and very helpful. For instance the day manager gave us a map of the country and circled where we could go shopping for art. We bought several pieces at the galeria Namu in San Jose.
We did mention that it may be a good idea to have a directions page on the web site with tips on how to locate the place. it is very hard to find. For instance, on the GPS if you type in Finca Rosa Blanca it does not find it. However if you type in Rosa Blanca and leave out the Finca it comes up.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Bruce; Thanks for writing about Finca Rosa Blanca- it appears you have a particular affinity for architecture and design as do we. As you mentioned, I am indeed an artist and view
Rosa Blanca almost as a sculpture unto itself, and all the nuances, love, care and soul that we could muster went into it. The staff are very participatory in making sugg4estions, helping to maintain the grounds and the structures and their price really shows, which of course makes me immensely happy. I am glad that this pride rubbed off on you. We always love to hear remarks like the one you wrote, "The place is tastefully decorated with local art and is wonder to take it all in."
Thanks again for commenting on your experiences here.

Been to Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation & Inn? Share your experiences!