“Great experience, views, and local food” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Great experience, views, and local food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

The trip to the restaurant is 70% of the experience. A scenic drive up the mountains to the Dos Bocas lake, then a boat trip across the lake to one of the restaurants, in this case El Fogon de Abuela. The service was friendly, the view was pleasant from our table looking across the lake, the ambiance is rustic, the food is typical Puertorican country cooking. The whole experience is worth getting off the beaten track. It's the country, so remember to relax and slow down, not a place to be in a hurry.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

San Juan
“The Best Arañitas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Went here with my family on february on our visit to Jayuya and Utuado. Love the lake, the environment and the plantain "arañitas". Great puertorrican food. Try the "fricasé de cabrito" !!! is incredible.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Puerto Rico
“Nice Boat ride & view, but terrible service and food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

What a disappointment. As soon as we got to the Restaurant we were seated. Luisa our Waitress was very nice taking the order. I am allergic to Tomatoes and made it very clear that I get very sick if any of my food touches tomatos. I ordered Churrasco with Mushroom sauce with Tostones. My plate came with green salat and a slice of Tomato, which I immeiatly brushed the whole salad onto my Husbands plate. The Waitress just ignored that. My steak was totally overcooked, did not have any searing on it, so I guess they boiled it. No Taste, because it did not have any seasoning. The " Mushroom sauce was with canned Mushrooms and totally liquid with a light beef broth flavor.I ask for salt, which never arrived (got it from the neighoring table) The Tostones where soggy and dry inside. Which means that they pre fried them, mashed them down and refried them later. My Husbands grilled Churrasco did have grill marks, but also not seasoned, He also ordered Rice with Gandules, but they never came ( but showed up on the bill). He ask for Oil & vinagre, but the Waitress dissapeared. So he used the Mayo/ketchup from the Tostones as a dresssing. 15 minutes after we finished eating ( ate 1/2 only because we were starving) , I got up and went to the Bar to pay. Since we did not get the chance to even order dessert or a Cordial, we had some nice Coffe and Cake at Sweet Ann Cakes in Isla Verde on our return trip. NEVER AGAIN , SO DISSAPOINTED.

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
US
“Great food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I went with a group of friends to this place last Sunday. You can get to the restaurant by boat or car, but we heard that by car is about 50 minutes from the lake. So we decided to get the boat, which is free but you have to pick the boat for the restaurant you want, because there are about 5 different restaurants. The place was crowded and we had to wait about 45 minutes to the into the boat because our gruop was big. When we were at the restauant it was also crowded, so we waited about an hour to get our food, but it was delicious. We all were really happy with our food and the waitress were always asking if we were ok. I will definately return!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Beautiful view & ride but poor Food!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Mofongos were ok. Shrimp with Mojo was very sweet (not supposed to be like that) and the churrasco did no taste like churrasco (skirt steak) at all. Willing to make another dish but when told them we did not want to wait for another dish they wanted to make us pay for the dish we returned because we eat from it!... Silly I know. Too bad such a great day in the area. Visit the lake just go somewhere else!!!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere