“The perfect getaway spot” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Grande Mountain Retreat

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Utuado
Casa Grande Mountain Retreat
You added Casa Grande Mountain Retreat to your Saves list
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Road 612, Km. 0.3 | Barrio Caonillas, Utuado 00641, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Utuado
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
“The perfect getaway spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for a secluded get-away spot, this is sooooo it. Beautiful scenery, peaceful surroundings, and nice accomodations. This is not luxury, this is Ahhhhhhh, relax. Rooms are comfortable, clean, free of bugs and other creepy crawlies. Hot water, and cieling fan. No TV, no radio, no AC, none needed. The pool is great and the food is wonderful. Also, there are great PR Cuisine rests., within a stone's throw away. Hiking trail on the property, and the Dos Bocas and Caonillas lakes a nearby, the former surrounded by great restaurants which you can get to by boat and enjoy the ride on the Dos Bocas lake. The staff is excellent, and fully bilingual. Cel phone reception is non existent, which makes it easier to truly disconnect. There is WiFi service at the main restaurant and reception area but it is slow and drops constantly, but again its great for the disconnect of everyday hustle and bustle. Definately recommend, and will visit again sooooooon!!!! This sleepless beachcomber was truly at peace with this place.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
St. Pete, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I hosted a yoga retreat here Memorial Day weekend and everything was absolutely fantastic.

To start, Steven, the owner of the resort, was incredibly patient with me the months beforehand as we planned the retreat. I must have sent him a thousand questions and he was always beyond helpful. He helped us plan the entire thing, recommended transportation, worked with our schedule, organized our outside activities and even made it a point to accommodate my groups multiple dietary restrictions which was no easy task.

The resort is immaculately maintained and beautiful. The rooms were exactly as expected for a retreat center, plain, simple, clean and beautifully peaceful. I particularly loved the hammocks outside. I spent time reading in my hammock every day while we were there. The yoga room is large and serene, decorated in iron work and antique wood. We practiced every day with doors open, enjoying the breeze. There is even a special room for massage up the hill that is a really magical space in the rain.

The food was fantastic. They gave us vegan and gluten free choices for every meal with meat options on the side for those so inclined. They have a bar, but also offered tea at night, and some of the best coffee ever. I think everyone in my group brought coffee home.

Steven and his staff were just as accommodating while we were there. We brought a 72 year old woman with us on the waterfall hike (which I HIGHLY recommend) and Jose helped her along the entire way. She made it to the waterfall! We were gone so long that Steven got concerned and came looking for us. The next day, he spent 3 + hours of his day off helping us in a very special mission we decided to take on.

One of my primary concerns was that it would be hot at the end of May, but it was never hot at all. There was always a really sweet mountain breeze. The evenings were even cool enough for blankets and long sleeves!

I can not possibly recommend Casa Grande, Steven and his staff highly enough. Go here. Its a very special place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

The property is well situated in the beautiful mountains of Utuado. Waking up there in the morning is breathtaking, especially while watching the sun rise over the mist and fog of the mountains. This is also just the spot for a tranquil night, as the most we ever heard was the croaking of the native Coqui frogs outside.

My husband and I chose to stay here several nights last year as part of our honeymoon. Unfortunately, the accommodations are not as large as the name implies, and the rooms and beds were lacking. While the rooms were quite private, the overall look was minimal and dismal. The room reminded me of a childhood summer camp, with limp pillows, a stiff mattress, no furniture and really no decor other than a ceiling fan. The bathroom was also fairly small and dated to the early 90s. The staff was pleasant and the level of service was great, but not enough to overcome the updating needed.

The grounds are decently maintained, with a nice pool and a hammock on each porch. We ate at the restaurant a few times and generally found the quality of food to vary depending on the dish ordered. The bartender's pina coladas were the biggest redeeming factor.

Be warned that if you drive here, it's best to do so during daylight hours - due to the winding mountain roads. Additionally, don't rely on your GPS and instead call the front desk for precise directions - otherwise you'll end up like we did, in the middle of a jungle, on a long abandoned road with no civilization in sight. Also note that after you arrive, you will need to park in the parking lot down the hill from the lobby and cabins, which necessitates climbing a bunch of uncovered stairs with luggage in tow. Not a recommended trek in the rain.

Overall, while the location is beautiful this place falls short in several critical accommodation categories.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
proprietor44, Owner at Casa Grande Mountain Retreat, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. The name Casa Grande has an historical significance and refers to the main house, not the guest quarters. The guest rooms are neither spacious nor small but somewhere in between with walls painted a soft sage green with a high ceiling painted white. Each room is appointed with one or two beds with freshly laundered bedding, blankets and bedspreads. The blankets and bedspreads are purchased from Linen Source, a seller of high quality products. The pillows are of medium density, neither hard nor soft. The mattresses are somewhat on the firm side as we have found that the majority of our guests favor that choice. Each room has handmade wooden table height shelves, a generous size clothes cubby and an additional shelf with a clothing pole. There's a good size mirror with light above and a nicely framed colorful poster from one of the many annual festivals held in the local towns. The bathroom has a modern Eurostyle sink and vanity and the floor and walls are done in ceramic tile.

We agree that it's unwise to use the GPS to find us. We have a cautionary note on our Map and Directions page to use our directions instead. When entering the driveway you can take the left fork up to the hacienda, unload your baggage and then park down below.
Blacksburg, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

On their website they recommend a two night stay and after staying only one night I must agree. It is not the easiest place to get to so it's not much fun to have to turn around and leave the next day. The rooms do not have a/c but do have a ceiling fan. I found this to be sufficient at night. I usually like to sleep in cold rooms, in summer I set my a/c at 65 F at night for sleeping. I slept fine here. The rooms are on the more rustic side but quite comfortable. The bathroom has a shower, no bathtub. I was sharing my room with my sister and we were both perfectly comfortable on our little porch. The views are beautiful and it seemed every porch had a good view. The hotel has done a nice job with plantings so you always feel like you are in a garden. I absolutely agree with LimasMom experience with there being a group there. When my sister and I were there, there was a yoga group staying. I found them to be overbearing and felt like the hotel catered to their needs at the expense of mine. I too felt like I was intruding when I went to eat dinner and breakfast. They would sit at tables around ours and then converse between the tables as though my sister and I weren't there. Additionally, since this group apparently had diet restrictions the meals were all vegetarian and a third gluten-free. I think this hotel is nice and the pool is WONDERFUL but if they keep catering to these groups as they do they will lose people like me. I recommended that they find a way to serve the groups their meals in a separate area so the rest of us don't wind up feeling like party crashers.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Rincon, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

A must see for anyone looking to relax and connect with nature. I've never been inspired to write a review on TripAdvisor but after a weekend getaway at Casa Grande in the peace & quiet, I felt it deserved at least a review as amazing as my experience. Everything exceeded my expectations from the journey (super easy to get to, just follow the directions on the website), a warm welcome by the staff and finally the beautiful property. The rental was spacious, clean and the bed was comfortable. Bathrooms are been recently updated. But enough of that, let's get to the good stuff. What makes this place so special are the amenities and surrounding grounds. You can create your own relaxing retreat like I did with a Massage by Jiva (simply divine), Yoga with Steven (perfect way to start the morning), Hiking (afternoon exploration) and Cuisine at the restaurant (vegetarian/vegan friendly!). There are plenty of adventure trips close by too if you want to explore outside of Utuado (Arecibo Observatory, Ziplining, Cave exploration). I felt everything was affordable from the accommodations to the food and well worth it. I'd like to express my sincere gratitude to Steven the owner who really made Casa Grande what it is today. He has a great energy about him and it coincides with the peaceful, tranquil feeling to Utuado. Aside from the hotel aspect, I highly recommend this property for yoga retreats. Whether you come alone and take class everyday or arrange your own group, this is the idyllic location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

The two rooms by the pool of my favorites. If you are looking for a quiet place in the mountain just relax this is the place. The yoga room is open to all the guests and it's my favorite place to just be. The staff is great and helpful, The landscape is exactly what you want from a tropical getaway. Careful plantings have made a dreamlike beautiful space. The trails up the mountain are part of a hundred acre plus area owned by the retreat. I took the river trail and found it easy with guided walkways leading to a great vista overlooking the river and the nearby mountains. At anytime during your hike it begins to rain so be prepared for that. I stood under a tree for five minutes and all was good. At anytime during your hike you can opt for a road down to the main road which I found extremely beautiful. The staff was very nice and the food at night was very good at a fair price. During the day we explored the area towns and tried to eat while we were out . The roadside spots offered some very good chicken and rice for about five dollars for two people. I really enjoyed staying at the the casa and relaxing. There is time to party when you are back in the city.

Room Tip: The two rooms by the pool of my favorites. If you are looking for a quiet place in the mountain jus...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Clarksville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

This is our second trip to Casa Grande and it was better than our first in 2006; "Mountain Retreat" says it all.
If you're looking for phones, TV, nightlife and greasy fast food around the corner, this place is not for you, go somewhere else.
If you're looking for peace and quiet, relaxation, a sense of adventure and being close to nature, this is your place.
A converted coffee plantation nestled in the mountains of Utuado, this Retreat is not primative by any means; the rooms were roomy, clean and comfortable with all the needed basics. A nice pool allowed for cooling off on those warm sunny days, although the mountains keep the ambiant tempurature a mild 75 to 85 deg. The new trail on the premises promises to be a great feature once completed, giving you a nice addition to the garden on the premisis.
While in the mountains, it was still close to many attractions such as the Arecibo Observatory, Heritage sites, hiking, horseback riding, lakes and other outdoor activities.
The restaurant food was excellent in quality and presentation, with a flair for tweaking local dishes for the better, and a blend of American and local flavors. They also had a great selection of drinks for the evenings along with thier wonderful mountain coffee...
Small children may have little to look forward to, but I would recommend this Retreat more for adults looking to get away from it all, rather than for small children. Also, be sure to air out your clothing, as the humidity can be high: it is the tropics!
What made this wonderfull place a great one, was the service and support of the Staff and Management; they went out of their way to please thier guests and make sure they had a relaxing and enjoyable stay, always friendly and accomidating. They made the place #1 in my book, and I'll be back for a third stay.

Room Tip: Outer corner cabin rooms have a better view of the mountains, and a better nightime breeze.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Casa Grande Mountain Retreat? Share your experiences!