“Two nights is a must” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Grande Mountain Retreat

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Utuado
Casa Grande Mountain Retreat
You added Casa Grande Mountain Retreat to your Saves list
Road 612, Km. 0.3 | Barrio Caonillas, Utuado 00641, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Utuado
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Blacksburg, Virginia, United States
“Two nights is a must”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

On their website they recommend a two night stay and after staying only one night I must agree. It is not the easiest place to get to so it's not much fun to have to turn around and leave the next day. The rooms do not have a/c but do have a ceiling fan. I found this to be sufficient at night. I usually like to sleep in cold rooms, in summer I set my a/c at 65 F at night for sleeping. I slept fine here. The rooms are on the more rustic side but quite comfortable. The bathroom has a shower, no bathtub. I was sharing my room with my sister and we were both perfectly comfortable on our little porch. The views are beautiful and it seemed every porch had a good view. The hotel has done a nice job with plantings so you always feel like you are in a garden. I absolutely agree with LimasMom experience with there being a group there. When my sister and I were there, there was a yoga group staying. I found them to be overbearing and felt like the hotel catered to their needs at the expense of mine. I too felt like I was intruding when I went to eat dinner and breakfast. They would sit at tables around ours and then converse between the tables as though my sister and I weren't there. Additionally, since this group apparently had diet restrictions the meals were all vegetarian and a third gluten-free. I think this hotel is nice and the pool is WONDERFUL but if they keep catering to these groups as they do they will lose people like me. I recommended that they find a way to serve the groups their meals in a separate area so the rest of us don't wind up feeling like party crashers.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Rincon, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

A must see for anyone looking to relax and connect with nature. I've never been inspired to write a review on TripAdvisor but after a weekend getaway at Casa Grande in the peace & quiet, I felt it deserved at least a review as amazing as my experience. Everything exceeded my expectations from the journey (super easy to get to, just follow the directions on the website), a warm welcome by the staff and finally the beautiful property. The rental was spacious, clean and the bed was comfortable. Bathrooms are been recently updated. But enough of that, let's get to the good stuff. What makes this place so special are the amenities and surrounding grounds. You can create your own relaxing retreat like I did with a Massage by Jiva (simply divine), Yoga with Steven (perfect way to start the morning), Hiking (afternoon exploration) and Cuisine at the restaurant (vegetarian/vegan friendly!). There are plenty of adventure trips close by too if you want to explore outside of Utuado (Arecibo Observatory, Ziplining, Cave exploration). I felt everything was affordable from the accommodations to the food and well worth it. I'd like to express my sincere gratitude to Steven the owner who really made Casa Grande what it is today. He has a great energy about him and it coincides with the peaceful, tranquil feeling to Utuado. Aside from the hotel aspect, I highly recommend this property for yoga retreats. Whether you come alone and take class everyday or arrange your own group, this is the idyllic location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

The two rooms by the pool of my favorites. If you are looking for a quiet place in the mountain just relax this is the place. The yoga room is open to all the guests and it's my favorite place to just be. The staff is great and helpful, The landscape is exactly what you want from a tropical getaway. Careful plantings have made a dreamlike beautiful space. The trails up the mountain are part of a hundred acre plus area owned by the retreat. I took the river trail and found it easy with guided walkways leading to a great vista overlooking the river and the nearby mountains. At anytime during your hike it begins to rain so be prepared for that. I stood under a tree for five minutes and all was good. At anytime during your hike you can opt for a road down to the main road which I found extremely beautiful. The staff was very nice and the food at night was very good at a fair price. During the day we explored the area towns and tried to eat while we were out . The roadside spots offered some very good chicken and rice for about five dollars for two people. I really enjoyed staying at the the casa and relaxing. There is time to party when you are back in the city.

Room Tip: The two rooms by the pool of my favorites. If you are looking for a quiet place in the mountain jus...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Clarksville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

This is our second trip to Casa Grande and it was better than our first in 2006; "Mountain Retreat" says it all.
If you're looking for phones, TV, nightlife and greasy fast food around the corner, this place is not for you, go somewhere else.
If you're looking for peace and quiet, relaxation, a sense of adventure and being close to nature, this is your place.
A converted coffee plantation nestled in the mountains of Utuado, this Retreat is not primative by any means; the rooms were roomy, clean and comfortable with all the needed basics. A nice pool allowed for cooling off on those warm sunny days, although the mountains keep the ambiant tempurature a mild 75 to 85 deg. The new trail on the premises promises to be a great feature once completed, giving you a nice addition to the garden on the premisis.
While in the mountains, it was still close to many attractions such as the Arecibo Observatory, Heritage sites, hiking, horseback riding, lakes and other outdoor activities.
The restaurant food was excellent in quality and presentation, with a flair for tweaking local dishes for the better, and a blend of American and local flavors. They also had a great selection of drinks for the evenings along with thier wonderful mountain coffee...
Small children may have little to look forward to, but I would recommend this Retreat more for adults looking to get away from it all, rather than for small children. Also, be sure to air out your clothing, as the humidity can be high: it is the tropics!
What made this wonderfull place a great one, was the service and support of the Staff and Management; they went out of their way to please thier guests and make sure they had a relaxing and enjoyable stay, always friendly and accomidating. They made the place #1 in my book, and I'll be back for a third stay.

Room Tip: Outer corner cabin rooms have a better view of the mountains, and a better nightime breeze.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Sioux City, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night in February. It was our second night in Puerto Rico and first night in the mountains. Unfortunately we seem to have picked a night when a large group on retreat had "taken over" the resort. It was very strange, and left me feeling out of place and like we shouldn't be there. This group was even doing the breakfast cooking - confusing! They had filled one of the inside dining spaces with some kind of marketing material and I had this weird feeling that they were going to try to sell us some of the cosmetic products that were displayed. Breakfast food and beverages were spread out within that - and I thought it was wrong that I was left to felt like I was intruding on their personal party for breakfast. They quickly filled the pool area as well. The attendant at the desk, who was friendly enough, did not explain what was going on.

As other reviewers have commented, we found the rooms to lack privacy. They are located in quaint small cabin-like buildings, and we could hear everything that went on next door. The private balcony areas are incredibly cramped. While the view is lovely, it was very hard to feel comfortable and relax here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
proprietor44, Owner at Casa Grande Mountain Retreat, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. Your points about the large group activity are well taken and I apologize for the inconvenience. We will be sure to avoid this type of situation in the future. Yours is the first review I can recall mentioning the size of the balcony. It's an L shape wrap around balcony with a hammock and two comfortable arm chairs. It might be a bit crowded for three or four people but I think it's fair to say it's quite comfortable in size for two.
Smyrna, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

It is a great relaxing place to go with your hubby or whomever. The soaps are motel soaps and there is not much to do in the hotel but it is great for relaixing and yoga. the owner was very friendly. A little expensive on my opinion but hey they have to make a living. the dining was incredible though. I cannot wait to go back

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Carolina, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

The best place to relax and get disconnected from everything, gardens are beautiful and rooms are actually cabins. It's nothing fancy but it's clean, close to nature, quiet and beautiful. I stayed for some days and inside they have hiking trails, a mini spa, restaurant, pool, a hammock in each cabin. If you're looking for something different and to relax, this is the perfect place to stay.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Casa Grande Mountain Retreat? Share your experiences!