“Casa Grande Puerto Rico” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Grande Mountain Retreat

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Utuado
Casa Grande Mountain Retreat
Save Saved
You added Casa Grande Mountain Retreat to your Saves list
Road 612, Km. 0.3 | Barrio Caonillas, Utuado 00641, Puerto Rico   |
Offers & Announcements
25% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Utuado
Orlando, Florida
“Casa Grande Puerto Rico”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

The two rooms by the pool of my favorites. If you are looking for a quiet place in the mountain just relax this is the place. The yoga room is open to all the guests and it's my favorite place to just be. The staff is great and helpful, The landscape is exactly what you want from a tropical getaway. Careful plantings have made a dreamlike beautiful space. The trails up the mountain are part of a hundred acre plus area owned by the retreat. I took the river trail and found it easy with guided walkways leading to a great vista overlooking the river and the nearby mountains. At anytime during your hike it begins to rain so be prepared for that. I stood under a tree for five minutes and all was good. At anytime during your hike you can opt for a road down to the main road which I found extremely beautiful. The staff was very nice and the food at night was very good at a fair price. During the day we explored the area towns and tried to eat while we were out . The roadside spots offered some very good chicken and rice for about five dollars for two people. I really enjoyed staying at the the casa and relaxing. There is time to party when you are back in the city.

Room Tip: The two rooms by the pool of my favorites. If you are looking for a quiet place in the mountain jus...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Clarksville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

This is our second trip to Casa Grande and it was better than our first in 2006; "Mountain Retreat" says it all.
If you're looking for phones, TV, nightlife and greasy fast food around the corner, this place is not for you, go somewhere else.
If you're looking for peace and quiet, relaxation, a sense of adventure and being close to nature, this is your place.
A converted coffee plantation nestled in the mountains of Utuado, this Retreat is not primative by any means; the rooms were roomy, clean and comfortable with all the needed basics. A nice pool allowed for cooling off on those warm sunny days, although the mountains keep the ambiant tempurature a mild 75 to 85 deg. The new trail on the premises promises to be a great feature once completed, giving you a nice addition to the garden on the premisis.
While in the mountains, it was still close to many attractions such as the Arecibo Observatory, Heritage sites, hiking, horseback riding, lakes and other outdoor activities.
The restaurant food was excellent in quality and presentation, with a flair for tweaking local dishes for the better, and a blend of American and local flavors. They also had a great selection of drinks for the evenings along with thier wonderful mountain coffee...
Small children may have little to look forward to, but I would recommend this Retreat more for adults looking to get away from it all, rather than for small children. Also, be sure to air out your clothing, as the humidity can be high: it is the tropics!
What made this wonderfull place a great one, was the service and support of the Staff and Management; they went out of their way to please thier guests and make sure they had a relaxing and enjoyable stay, always friendly and accomidating. They made the place #1 in my book, and I'll be back for a third stay.

Room Tip: Outer corner cabin rooms have a better view of the mountains, and a better nightime breeze.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Sioux City, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night in February. It was our second night in Puerto Rico and first night in the mountains. Unfortunately we seem to have picked a night when a large group on retreat had "taken over" the resort. It was very strange, and left me feeling out of place and like we shouldn't be there. This group was even doing the breakfast cooking - confusing! They had filled one of the inside dining spaces with some kind of marketing material and I had this weird feeling that they were going to try to sell us some of the cosmetic products that were displayed. Breakfast food and beverages were spread out within that - and I thought it was wrong that I was left to felt like I was intruding on their personal party for breakfast. They quickly filled the pool area as well. The attendant at the desk, who was friendly enough, did not explain what was going on.

As other reviewers have commented, we found the rooms to lack privacy. They are located in quaint small cabin-like buildings, and we could hear everything that went on next door. The private balcony areas are incredibly cramped. While the view is lovely, it was very hard to feel comfortable and relax here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
proprietor44, Owner at Casa Grande Mountain Retreat, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. Your points about the large group activity are well taken and I apologize for the inconvenience. We will be sure to avoid this type of situation in the future. Yours is the first review I can recall mentioning the size of the balcony. It's an L shape wrap around balcony with a hammock and two comfortable arm chairs. It might be a bit crowded for three or four people but I think it's fair to say it's quite comfortable in size for two.
Smyrna, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

It is a great relaxing place to go with your hubby or whomever. The soaps are motel soaps and there is not much to do in the hotel but it is great for relaixing and yoga. the owner was very friendly. A little expensive on my opinion but hey they have to make a living. the dining was incredible though. I cannot wait to go back

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Carolina, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

The best place to relax and get disconnected from everything, gardens are beautiful and rooms are actually cabins. It's nothing fancy but it's clean, close to nature, quiet and beautiful. I stayed for some days and inside they have hiking trails, a mini spa, restaurant, pool, a hammock in each cabin. If you're looking for something different and to relax, this is the perfect place to stay.

• Stayed May 2013
Overland Park, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Having lived in San Juan in the mid 70's I returned with my wife for our 31st anniversary in April to visit a close friend still living in San Juan and asked hiim to show us Puerto Rico. We traveled to several spots all over the island and on the last night we stayed here. With out doubt our favorite, quiet, beautiful, relaxing, great food everything we were looking for and more. The flora and fauna of the island on display with walking paths, plants labeled to help us better understand what we were looking at and remember them. Rustic perhaps, no phone, TV, radio, AC, but, we were there to relax, regenerate, recharge, we did! The first place we found that really offered us the chance do do what we really needed to do, rest and recharge! Thank you!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

For my birthday, I wanted to have a stress-free, hammoc, out-of-reach cellular signal to relax and I got it. The service is on point, answering all my questions and offering options, making the menu a flexible one. They even have a vegetarian menu. The rooms are like typical wooden houses. The landscape has a variety of plants identified. My room had just one ceiling fan (no air condition, cord phone) and a charming balcony with seats and hammoc. The pool was ok. The other guests enhanced the experience by singing me "Happy Birthday" with cake and paying what I ordered.

My low remarks goes to the price, since is an eco-friendly hotel, the management does not have high expenses (no air condition, no window curtains, clocks, outside lights are turn off after certain hours, very few room lights). They can reduce the hotel fare. Even if the hotel has mountains around, I could still hear trucks passing by.

• Stayed October 2012
proprietor44, Owner at Casa Grande Mountain Retreat, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for your review. We're glad you enjoyed your visit. At $125 per night our rates are moderate and well within the range of comparable accommodations. We're running a great special offer on Tripadvisor whereby you pay for three nights and get the fourth night free.

Been to Casa Grande Mountain Retreat? Share your experiences!