“beautiful beach” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace St Martin

You added Hotel Riu Palace St Martin to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   BP 581, Anse Marcel 97056, St Maarten-St Martin (Formerly Radisson Blu Resort, Marina & Spa St. Martin)   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Anse Marcel
Minnesota
“beautiful beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

just returned from a super relaxing week at Radisson Blu on the french side of the island, st. martin. the beach is beautiful, virtually private and very safe. this hotel is a small resort and is not like the busy, expansive all inclusive resorts. its a nice quiet retreat. the resort has only one main restaurant but is very close to the fantastic restaurants in grand case. just across from the hotel are a couple of dining options including great pizza at calypso. the hotel offers a rental of a small in room refrigerator and expressed no beach/lounge area restriction on refreshments purchased off the property.
the only negative of staying here is there is no evening entertainment.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Jean-marc J, General Manager at Hotel Riu Palace St Martin, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed our beautiful beach and our restaurants!
We look forward to your next stay.
Jean-marc Jalbert - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Suffolk County, Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

The Radisson Blu Resort at Anse Marcel, St Martin is a stunningly beautiful hotel with manicured, immaculate grounds, a gorgeous pool area, and a secluded, perfect beach immediately adjacent to the pool. They were having a bit of confusion when we first arrived -- their computers were down and they sent us to a room that was still occupied -- but all got sorted out, and everything went well after that. Sumptuous breakfasts in an open-air dining room are free to hotel guests. The rooms are large and luxurious, with covered balconies and spacious bathrooms -- although the showers have these odd little half doors that do not prevent the floor from getting soaked when you shower, no matter how careful you are. If you rent a car and drive yourself, as we did, be prepared to be "white-knuckled" the first time you navigate the extremely twisty, steep, and narrow road that leads to the hotel. Also, being on the French side, the hotel uses the French standard for electrical power -- 220 volts through a twin-round-pin plug -- so you'll need a converter and plug adapter to charge your cell phone or laptop.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Jean-marc J, General Manager at Hotel Riu Palace St Martin, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for this great review! We are so glad that you liked our Resort. We hope to see you back to the Radisson Blu, St Martin soon!
Regards,
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

The Radisson Blu is hard to reach, but worth the trip. Roads leading to the hotel seem too dangerous to walk, so we stayed at the hotel and beach for our 3 night stay. The beach is outstanding - white sand, not crowded, and clean water with a few sail boats in the harbor just beyond the buoy line. The island, Anguilla, is viewable in the distance about 2 miles away. Hearty buffet breakfast is outstanding. Personnel in the lobby are helpful. An international salsa festival in the ballroom livened up our stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. We are very happy that you had a great experience at the Resort and had the opportunity to see the Salsa Festival, which was a great event!
We hope to welcome you back soon!
Regards,
Park Ridge, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Radison Blu Resort at St Martins
Just came back from this hotel after five nights stay. My 7th trip to St M/Ms. I have stayed in just about every hotel chain from Ritz/Four Seasons and higher rated to “we’ll leave a light on for ya”, so I think I am pretty qualified to comment. The Radison Blu is on a great piece of property—the setting here is if not the best in St M/M, it is one of the best. A beach resort surrounded on three sides by Hills/small mountains. The beach is great, the pool is without a doubt the best I have seen in St. M/M, albeit I have not stayed at all of the top end places, (save your money and do not eat at the newly constructed beach bar, food was terrible) but the food at the beach side restaurant was very good. There was not one thing to be disappointed about regarding the setting. I give the setting 6 stars out of 5.
The actual hotel is pretty decent, not top notch but really pretty decent. The rooms are roomie, nice bath and a sitting balcony. Each bed was a sleep number bed, which I guess I miss the purpose of that amenity-not sure why it is there, not even sure it worked. Each room had a safe-which in my opinion is a must at every hotel. The one drawback to the room was the carpeted floor, for a resort where people are coming and going with sand and wet things---a carpet to me is a mistake, not very clean—one other thing---do not have open food in your room, we stopped and bought some French Pastries and placed them on the TV table-the box was closed but not air tight. We woke up in the morning only to find our pastry covered with a thousand ants—little buggers but they were all over the inside of the box. Ruined some really good pastry.
I think the room was overpriced but the setting was fantastic so I guess one outweighs the other-should be selling for $100.USD less at peak in my opinion. I give the hotel room 3 stars out of 5.
There are restaurants on the hotel property and across from the main hotel entrance-thirty yards away all pretty decent-Victorias was very good but was a bit pricey but Calypso was priced fair and had excellent pizza. The Italian Restaurant (name slips me, was very good). We had a breakfast package and I thought the breakfast was very good-everything one could want. One note about the restaurants---people smoke non-stop and do not care for a minute who is sitting next to them---you may be at a tight table and the couple next to you will light up and smoke before, during and after their meal--- we always got a table away from that but I saw others who were really annoyed get up and move away. But the smokers did not flinch a bit—
You don’t need a car if you are happy to just stay on the property—food, bar etc all there. Driving in St M/M is interesting---one thing for certain---the roads suck and they have not gotten better over the years and more and more people are driving so be cautious. The road to and from the hotel is interesting-up and down a tight steep hill.
The property is 8 minutes from Grand Case-which in my opinion may be the most over rated place on earth to eat dinner, and maybe 15-20 from Marigot, which has some decent restaurants. We stopped at Le Spinnaker and I had the best escargot ever ---give it a try. Marigot is packed with cars, narrow streets and lots of locals walking so if you do not like driving-take a cab. Nothing spectacular in Marigot, I am a looker not a shopper but I did not see anything that looked like a deal—so if you are looking for one, know your prices-Euros and USD.
ST M/M is great, I will go back and I will even stay at the Radison Blu-albeit I do think it is overpriced.

Room Tip: Stay on the third floor
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
We thank you for giving us such a detailed feedback on TripAdvisor. We are happy that you enjoyed your overall experience at the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you again.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

This was our fifth year returning to the hotel, and each year just gets better. The renovated Marina Suites were quite stunning, and really seemed like our home away from home. As always, the staff is most friendly and accommodating. Avril, we love you! The charming and ever present GM, Jean-Marc, runs a beautiful resort and promptly attends to any issues (thanks for the wine glasses). Now if he could have only secured a Patriot win, our stay would have been complete. Look forward to our return next January.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for this great review. I have passed along your compliment to all the staf, and especially to Avril!
We look forward to welcoming you next year!
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I really would like to give it a better rating, but I expect more from the price we paid. The resort is beautiful and the staff is wonderful -- the best -- but it just didn't measure up.

The food on the breakfast and lunch buffets was consistently warm (not hot) and overcooked. The C restaurant was much better (and they made a superb cosmo!). The waitstaff at both restaurants and all of the bars was kind and attentive.

After a couple of days, my room started smelling moldy. I told the housekeeper, and she said something like "The drain needs cleaning," knowing what to do. Sure enough, when I came back later, it was not smelling. A couple of days later, the same thing. I overheard other guests complaining about mold, too.

The housekeeping staff was kind, helpful, and really nice, but... Some days I had turn down service, some days not. The bathroom card said to hang towels if I would reuse them. I hung them every day, but they were always removed. A few days later I had no more towels! While the room was cleaned everyday, it was never tidied. (Personally, I think it is because of poor training.)

They boasted they had spent millions on renovation yet the shower would go from hot to cold to hot to cold. Plus, the results from adjusting the faucet didn't easily change the temperature. One set of the curtains also did not open and close easily--after a couple of days I discovered how the housekeeping staff deals with that issue. The clock radio was broken. And the mold issue.

Would I go back? No.

If I had a reservation, would I cancel it? No.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Jean-marc J, General Manager at Hotel Riu Palace St Martin, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for giving us your feedback on your recent stay and for your really nice comments about our staff. We are, however, very sorry that the Resort did not meet your expectations. All your remarks have been shared with the entire team and we will work diligently to solve these issues.
We hope you will be back to the Resort to give you another insight of our beautiful property.
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Our stay in May of 2012 at the Radisson was amazing. The crystal clear water was nestled by the green hills. Within minutes of our arrival, we were given the room key, delicious drinks, and a friendly staff member to help with our bags. We wanted a family beach getaway (2 kids- 14 and 8) and that's exactly what we got. The breakfast buffet offered a wide variety of choices. My only negative point would be the price of the food. There are two restaurants in front of the property which offer more adequate pricing. (I would not recommend the Italian restaurant as they had insane prices and mediocre food)

As far as entertainment went... We were entertained! The pool is beautiful, the beach astonishing, and the property itself; elegant. We hired a small, private boat (everything was checked and confirmend with the trip planning staff) and went on a tour and snorkeling expedition. There is more than enough entertainment on the property itself as well!

One word of advice: Bring the strongest possible sunscreen available. Our skin, used to the East Coast sunshine, was NOT ready for the magnitude of the St. Martin sunshine.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Riu Palace St Martin? Share your experiences!