“4 Star Potential” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   B.P. 481, Anse Marcel 97150, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Anse Marcel
“4 Star Potential”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

This hotel property had the potential to be a 4 star, but the property management keeps it at 3-3.5 star level.
The location is beautiful, as is most of the island. It is next door to the Raddison Blu, in the cul de sac area which is a up some steep hills, a bit removed from the lively parts of St. Martin. The property beach is the Anse Marcel, soft sands and crystal blue waters.

The rooms have charm with a modern twist to villa-style decor. The sink and shower are definitely a European style, separate from the toilet, pretty much in the main room. It does not feel like the cookie-cutter hotel room, but is also missing some standard luxuries that one would expect at a 4 star (like more than 1 bath towel per person, more than 1 pillow per person)

What went wrong: The gym is a nice room but half of the equipment is broken. When we asked the front desk if they can reach out to the Raddison next door to see if we can use their gym, the front desk said no-they would not accommodate-and couldn't understand why we're not satisfied with the stationary bike that was working

The internet access code provided at check in was wrong and the front desk made us wait 2 hours until someone finally came to "fix the problem"… could have been fixed over the phone in minutes if they actually listened.

These are small details, but you can tell that even though the staff is friendly they are not motivated and do not go out of their way to deliver top customer service. I say it's worth staying here if the price is right (under $250/night)

Room Tip: 2nd floor had a a nice ocean view. If you're coming from the states, don't forget your power...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

430 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Polish first
Marlton, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

We booked an all inclusive stay at Le Domaine on 3/4/13 (over 7 months in advance) for our honeymoon (10/27/13 - 11/3/13) At time of purchase it was specified that the price included the hotel room for the duration of the reservation as well as a food/beverage plan "all inclusive of À La Carte meals, premium alcoholic beverages, soft drinks, daily snacks, all taxes and fees." We were given confirmation of our booking and proceeded to successfully confirm the dates with Le Domaine. But on 9/4/13 we were notified that the resort was closing for hurricane season. We were then told that Le Domaine would be transferring our stay to the Westin as a result of their seasonal closure.

After our wedding, we arrived in St Martin and checked into the Westin only to find out that it was NOT an all-inclusive stay. We were completely caught off guard and very disappointed by this because we had intentionally planned an all-inclusive to avoid worrying about any additional expenses for food/beverage at the resort on our honeymoon (especially after just paying off our wedding only days beforehand). Upon speaking with the reservations manager at the Westin, he informed us that Le Domaine had "pre-negotiated" a breakfast voucher and per-diem credit of $75 USD per person per day in lieu of an all-inclusive. Resort food and drinks are not cheap to begin with so keeping within a $75 budget for two meals and drinks is almost impossible without severely limiting your options (as we later learned first-hand). I tried to explain this to him and ask him why we were not informed about the changes to the food & beverage arrangements in the first place. He was very understanding and apologized for the miscommunication. He told us that the Westin is not an all-inclusive resort and that he would contact Le Domaine about renegotiating the per-diem and get back to us the next morning. The next day we were told by the Westin reservation manager that he could not reach anyone at Le Domaine by phone or email. I proceeded to email multiple contacts at Le Domaine myself requesting to speak with someone but got no response. On the third day I called Le Domaine (international) multiple times to see if I could speak with someone in person but could not get a live person on the phone so I was left with no other option but to leave a message. To this day I have not received an email or call back pertaining to this issue. Eventually I had to give up with the realization that I was just wasting personal time on my own honeymoon to try to make up for Le Domaine's lack of negotiated accommodations. We ended up documenting every food and beverage purchase at the resort throughout the week in order to keep track and avoid going over our limit. As a result, we wound up skimping on meals and drinks during the majority of our stay in order to keep within our allotted food/beverage budget.

Upon checkout we were given a remaining balance on items and services that were not included with the stay (gift shop, spa, etc.) This balance was paid in full and we were told that everything else was covered. About a month later we received a charge on our credit card for $2138.69 USD plus a $42.77 USD Foreign Transaction Fee from the Westin. Shocked by the amount and recognizing that it had been several weeks since our trip, we initially disputed the charge as fraudulent with our credit card company thinking that someone had gotten our card info during our stay. The credit card company later requested more documentation so we supplied them with copies of our trip info, hotel transfer letter, and checkout bill. About 2 weeks later the charge reappeared and when we asked why, the credit card company stated that our stay was verified by the Westin but no payment was provided for the room. they mentioned that unless we could verify that our transfer was applied at the time of our stay, they had no choice but to reinstate the charge. None of our official charges specify "transfer" or otherwise, despite the fact that there are about 10 emails between us, Le Domaine, and The Westin pertaining to the fact that the hotel was and always would be covered through the transfer. I contacted The Westin's reservations manager once again to determine why we were being charged when we provided all of our required documents upon check in.

We were told that Le Domaine transferred all reservations over the course of a two month period to The Westin and negotiated to cover the costs of reservations. Le Domaine then defaulted on the payment and left us (and many others) with the bill for The Westin after already paying Le Domaine for the same stay. We were encouraged to reach out to Le Domaine to have them resolve the issue directly.

We have since reached out with about a half dozen calls and emails, but Le Domaine refuses to respond to any of our continued attempts to reach them regarding this issue. They are completely silent despite the fact that their hotel is now fully open and operating as of Dec 21st (according to their website). They got their money but wont honor their end of the deal and now myself and other patrons are paying twice (plus interest!) for their negligence!

Do yourself a favor, AVOID LE DOMAINE! Its not worth the headache!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Anse Marcel hotels

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

Forget about I don't like this or that and just start with looking up from your large balcony to the beautiful tree soaked hills that surround three sides of this resort. They are breath taking and supply the grounds with swiping winds throughout the day. If it's party time you want look someplace else but if you want a slow and peaceful retreat you'll find it here.
Once you read other reviews you will see a common theme; the staff cannot do enough for you. If something is wrong let them know and they'll fix it.
Ok,about the food. This is not a multiplex of six restaurant but the two places you can eat are staff by French chefs. The equipment my be dated but the cooking staff are held to the highest standards. If you are all inclusive you get two nights at the Marche de Table. The menu is set but just trust the chef he'll treat you with a four course meal and a marvellous experience. Oh,and least I forget, your table is fifty feet from the crashing waves on the beach. Just take you time and love the one your with. That's what this place is about.
Thank-you Le Domaine, a bien tot.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

I stayed here for two weeks from December 22nd to January 5th as an Air Transat guinea pig and I made the most of the sun and the sea, laughing off the hotel’s problems and all its limitations (think “French Fawlty Towers”). However, if the Quebecois seem to complain too much, as suggested by a previous reviewer, it is because they have completely reasonable expectations as to what an all-inclusive should be (based on previous trips), and these were not met by Le Domaine.

The food was the biggest problem. We were presented with the same breakfast and the same lunch for two weeks. It made no sense that the very limited lunch menu was not offered as a buffet; I can only suppose that somehow they save money by not doing so. Customers had to wait for an unacceptably long time for their meal on some occasions, or were told that their choice was not available. Although I found the staff in the restaurant very pleasant during the second week, their facial expressions in the first week testified to how stressed they were. The wait staff was mostly different in the second week, as the ones from the first week quit within days. The restaurant was understaffed and the staff was undertrained. We got into the habit during the first week of going to the counter and serving ourselves with wine and water. I do not blame the wait staff for these problems – it clearly was a management issue. Shout out to Sherlene for being so cheerful despite the long hours she (and all the others) worked.

I would love to be able to comment on La Table du Marche, but I never got served there, despite it being a set menu for the all-inclusives, which should make it very straightforward. We were obliged to make a reservation for 8pm, which was later than we would have liked. After waiting an hour for half a tomato and a piece of mozzarella, my friends sent me to check out the buffet. Unidentifiable chunks of meat and cold, bland pasta did not inspire me, so I proposed we wait it out at La Table. After another hour (yes, it was now 10pm), we were presented with some beef. Although the second course had been skipped, here at last was food! I picked up my knife and fork and started to cut my beef, when the waiter was shouted at to remove it from our table and give it to the adjacent table … which he did. They, of course, did not particularly want it after seeing what had happened. At this point, we jumped ship and rushed to the buffet before it closed.

Entertainment was a joke. The two animators were clueless and I never understood why it took two of them to do water aerobics for a handful of people. They, and other staff, spent most of the day wandering around demanding to know if you were enjoying yourself. The evening entertainment was lame. Two “Spanish” dancers stomped around the restaurant; guests had to dodge past them to get to the buffet. Sometimes, there was a reggae band. On New Years Eve, the band only had two members present. We went for a walk to the Radisson that night and saw the other musicians playing there in a different band. One of them told us that this had happened because Le Domaine management had been so late booking anyone. Is reggae even reggae if there is no bass or drums?

Other guests have commented on the poor drink selection, the beach problems, the shower problems, the public toilet problems, the Soiree Blanche problems and I will simply observe that they are telling the truth.

Finally, they are some guest traps to look out for. The walking trail is pretty, but be careful! Both my friend and I twisted our ankles on it and fell. I saw several people with bandaged knees and wondered if they had met the same fate. Another trap is flying beach umbrellas. Duck fast when you see one coming: they have metal spikes on the end. Also, airborne notice boards were another daily hazard and they always got returned to the same spot afterwards so that they could fly off and hit another guest.

To the management of Le Domaine: being all-inclusive doesn’t mean we haven’t paid for anything and can be treated like second-class citizens. All-inclusive means we prepaid for everything and we have a right to expect it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Orchard Lake, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Spent one night at this hotel. We stayed at a neighboring resort on a previous trip so we knew we wanted to be in the area. We were aware of the European style tub/shower arrangement which did not worry us. Unfortunately Le Domaine is a bit tired. Decorating is shabby. We did not do the all-inclusive arrangement since their are so many great restaurants on the island and their main restaurant was closed at the time. Breakfast was fine. Overall this was not a good value.

Smithfield, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

I booked this hotel for 2 nights before a cruise. I really love staying on the French side of the island. I think the beaches and restaurants are so much better. It took over an hour from the airport to get to the hotel due to minor road construction. The pro's: the hotel staff was very friendly and accomodating. The hotel is located on a beautiful beach and walking distance to restaurants and some shops. I used the fitness center which was fine as long as noone else wanted to work out at the same time. Limited equipment and the only treadmill did not work.
Cons: Room set up. We did reserve a small garden-view room but the set up was very odd.
The toliet was located at the front of the room and the tub with a shower attachment and the sink was located on the opposite side of the room. The tub was huge and I had to sit in this tub holding the shower attachment while trying not to get water all over the tile floor (slippery when wet!!) i found it awkward but we made do. I questioned the set-up with the front desk but I don't think they understood my confusion. Book a larger room and request a regular shower.
The bed was comfortable and there was a decent closet. The internet NEVER worked once during the time we were there. We asked and we were told they were working on the problem. Overall it was just ok. We also stayed during the time where the hotel was operating on a limited basis. We attempted to have breakfast at the restaurant and it was buffet only with basically no food left. After waiting a bit we decided to pass. We had drinks at the Tiki Bar and the views were great and the bartender was friendly but ask about wine prices before ordering. We thought we were saving by ordering a bottle and it ended up costing twice as much than ordering by the glass (same wine). I need to brush up on my French which would of helped with the language barrier!

montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We spent a week at this resort over New Year on an all-inclusive package with Transat. The good points - our room was great, kept very clean, overlooking lovely gardens - none of the rooms are far from the beach which is nice. We had good Wi-fi connection all week, plenty of hot water and particularly liked the Fiji water in our fridge each day. A nice touch. Our bed was comfortable and the towels were soft. Everything seemed great - until we realised that our all-inclusive package was not quite all-inclusive - one area of the beach, one bar, one restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner for those of us who had paid up front as all-inclusive guests. Sparkling wine and spirits were not included - charged at 5 Euros extra per drink - even on New Year's Eve, no sparkling wine offered. The food was limited in variety - sometimes there would be one delicious dish at dinner - many of the meats and fish were very good - but in general the dinners were lacklustre. There was a conspicuous lack of good cheese - very few fruits and vegetables. We did enjoy the tomatoes with fresh garlic, but in general, the food was surprisingly unremarkable compared with many other places we have visited on similar packages.

For those with allergies - none of the food was labelled as having nuts or shellfish, so the person in our group who had a shellfish allergy could not eat many dishes as staff were not very clear on the ingredients. Although we were allowed 2 visits to the a la carte restaurant, the menu for all-inclusive guests was once again set, so no choices from the regular menu - pity.

The beach was fine, although it was busy in the all-inclusive part, we mostly managed to find lounge chairs. The pool area was quiet and there was always room there in the shade. We made use of the gym, but some machines were broken.

We found the staff in the bar and the waitresses and waiters in the restaurant to be friendly and helpful.

There are hiking trails for those who like to walk and with a car you can easily explore the whole island. We had one amazing meal in Grand Case eating at a "lolo" - this was the culinary highlight of our trip. The island is interesting - well worth driving around and we would definitely return and overall had a good trip. As for Le Domain, I hope the management can work out the food issues as the location and the hotel itself are lovely. Lots of potential but a work in progress.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Le Domaine Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!