I nearly panicked and cancelled my reservation I made earlier in the summer for a 4 night stay last week after I read some of these freak-outs that the place was closed. I also had a difficult time reaching anyone at the resort to answer my questions and eventually spoke to someone at the parent company in Paris.
HOWEVER. The place was decidedly open, just under-occupied and a bit under-staffed as a result. The location is really incredible. If you're looking for a spot on the island that's well separated from the really tourist-y areas, this is great. You go up and over a steep hill and come down into Anse Marcel which is a beautiful little lagoon with just a few resorts using it. There are a set of nice restaurants in a little marina area which the Radisson Blu next door and Le Domaine both have easy access to. The grounds at Le Domaine are well maintained, and there's a really nice Caribbean charm to it. The Radisson is much more modernistic and Americanized in appearance, if that's your thing, but Le Domaine is colorful and warm and very relaxing.
The rooms are spacious and ours was certainly very clean. The internet wasn't working in our building, unfortunately, but it was working in the other buildings so we were still getting WiFi no problem. The beach and the pool are just a short path from all the rooms, and are also very pretty. For breakfast it was a continental affair with a great spot at all the tables to look out at the sea. If you're planning on doing anything elsewhere on the island, Patricia staffs the Activities Desk from 9-11am and from 3-5 or 7 pm depending on the day of the week, and she's extremely helpful. They can rent you a car on the property, which I would recommend, but you can get a cab for about the same price too.
The absolute highlight of the resort, at least in the off-season while I was there, was their bartender/chef/host Rashid. We're talking about a quint-lingual bartender extraordinaire who also is the primary cook for both lunch and dinner. Lunch includes wraps and quesadillas he makes right in the bar that are terrific, and dinner is a set menu with a starter, entree, and dessert that he makes for everyone individually. The assortment he served us in just 4 nights was really terrific and he was a joy to be around as well. I'm sure there is more of a restaurant table-service feel in the heavier seasons, but I can attest that I'd like to go back in the off-season just to see Rashid again. And I hope someone tells him to read this, we miss you you!
Overall, we really had a great time and ended up utterly and completely relaxed. We liked this place a lot, and we're really glad we didn't get scared out of it by the initial troubles with communication. If you're looking to relax, this place will really get the job done!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the North of the Island of Saint Martin, in the FrenchWest Indies, in the magnificent bay of Anse Marcel, the Domainede Lonvilliers is a blend of Creole charm and refinement.The Hotel consists of 5 buildings in the Creole style in the heart of alush tropical garden, bordered by a beautiful white sandy beach.Our restaurants :La Table du Marché, Leroys Kfé, the Beach club and the Beach Barin addition to our Ti Snack welcome you every day in a heavenlysetting at the edge of the Caribbean sea.Close by, you will find a charming little leisure port/marina withshops and boutiques.The relaxed but exclusive atmosphere of the Domaine de Lonvilliersinvites you to experience a unique environment. The Domaine deLonvillier is the ideal place for your relaxing holidays in an idyllicsetting. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline so you can book your Le Domaine Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Domaine De Lonvilliers Hotel Anse Marcel
- Le Domaine Hotel
- Le Domaine Beach Resort & Spa St. Maarten-St. Martin/Anse Marcel