I stayed at Le Domaine in 2007 and loved the place. I returned this month after seeing an Expedia deal and was a little disappointed, mostly as it appears that a lovely hotel in a perfect location is on a serious decline.
When you first enter your room, you are struck by the horrible decorating – brown with blue crushed velvet draperies hung with too few curtain hooks. I was immediately concerned that the lock on my sliding door leading to my ground floor patio was broken and a small chain was installed which could easily be broken by an intruder. I was shown another room, also on the ground floor with the same problem. Unfortunately, they would not move me to an upper floor and assured me that Anse Marcel was safe and I was close to the main desk. I didn’t have any problems, but was very concerned. The refrigerator in my room didn’t work and the maintenance woman simply came in, turned the temperature knob down (which did nothing), shrugged and left. Next, the furniture on the patio was broken and mismatched. The chairs were dilapidated wood and vinyl, not suited for outdoor use. The table had a broken top which was covered with a table cloth and a piece of round glass on top of that. Shabby in a not so chic way. Aside from that, the room was clean, the bed firm (almost too firm) and the towels plentiful.
The grounds are not well kept. When I first arrived I was struck by the long grass that didn’t appear to have been mowed in weeks. When it was mowed a day later, what was left was brown and bare patches. Plants are dead or dying. It is clear that nothing is being watered. The physical appearance all around was that the place is on the verge of bankruptcy.
So what is good about this place? The location is one of the best on the island. Although there is development on one side and the Radisson with a lot of guests on the other resulting in the beach getting a bit crowded, the small bay is protected, the water calm and the vista breathtaking. Aside from the maintenance woman, the staff is great and provided wonderful service. At the beach, a chair, umbrella, nice towel, menu or refreshment is brought promptly by the energetic attendant. The food from the beach bar, while pricey, was delicious. The small spa provided a very nice, relaxing massage. The restaurant provides a buffet breakfast that is tasty for 15 euros and dinner, again a bit pricey, but very good. The staff at the restaurant from management to wait staff was attentive and helpful. There are a few other restaurants within walking distance at the marina next to the Radisson for some variety and the prices were reasonable.
So, overall, I had a nice vacation. However, had I paid full price, I would have been disappointed with the accommodations.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the North of the Island of Saint Martin, in the FrenchWest Indies, in the magnificent bay of Anse Marcel, the Domainede Lonvilliers is a blend of Creole charm and refinement.The Hotel consists of 5 buildings in the Creole style in the heart of alush tropical garden, bordered by a beautiful white sandy beach.Our restaurants :La Table du Marché, Leroys Kfé, the Beach club and the Beach Barin addition to our Ti Snack welcome you every day in a heavenlysetting at the edge of the Caribbean sea.Close by, you will find a charming little leisure port/marina withshops and boutiques.The relaxed but exclusive atmosphere of the Domaine de Lonvilliersinvites you to experience a unique environment. The Domaine deLonvillier is the ideal place for your relaxing holidays in an idyllicsetting. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Tingo, Otel, BookingOdigeoWL and Hotels.com so you can book your Le Domaine Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Domaine De Lonvilliers Hotel Anse Marcel
- Le Domaine Hotel
- Le Domaine Beach Resort & Spa St Maarten-St Martin/Anse Marcel