“shabby in a not so chic way” 3 of 5 stars

Le Domaine Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   B.P. 481, Anse Marcel 97150, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Anse Marcel
Duxbury, Massachusetts
“shabby in a not so chic way”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed at Le Domaine in 2007 and loved the place. I returned this month after seeing an Expedia deal and was a little disappointed, mostly as it appears that a lovely hotel in a perfect location is on a serious decline.
When you first enter your room, you are struck by the horrible decorating – brown with blue crushed velvet draperies hung with too few curtain hooks. I was immediately concerned that the lock on my sliding door leading to my ground floor patio was broken and a small chain was installed which could easily be broken by an intruder. I was shown another room, also on the ground floor with the same problem. Unfortunately, they would not move me to an upper floor and assured me that Anse Marcel was safe and I was close to the main desk. I didn’t have any problems, but was very concerned. The refrigerator in my room didn’t work and the maintenance woman simply came in, turned the temperature knob down (which did nothing), shrugged and left. Next, the furniture on the patio was broken and mismatched. The chairs were dilapidated wood and vinyl, not suited for outdoor use. The table had a broken top which was covered with a table cloth and a piece of round glass on top of that. Shabby in a not so chic way. Aside from that, the room was clean, the bed firm (almost too firm) and the towels plentiful.
The grounds are not well kept. When I first arrived I was struck by the long grass that didn’t appear to have been mowed in weeks. When it was mowed a day later, what was left was brown and bare patches. Plants are dead or dying. It is clear that nothing is being watered. The physical appearance all around was that the place is on the verge of bankruptcy.
So what is good about this place? The location is one of the best on the island. Although there is development on one side and the Radisson with a lot of guests on the other resulting in the beach getting a bit crowded, the small bay is protected, the water calm and the vista breathtaking. Aside from the maintenance woman, the staff is great and provided wonderful service. At the beach, a chair, umbrella, nice towel, menu or refreshment is brought promptly by the energetic attendant. The food from the beach bar, while pricey, was delicious. The small spa provided a very nice, relaxing massage. The restaurant provides a buffet breakfast that is tasty for 15 euros and dinner, again a bit pricey, but very good. The staff at the restaurant from management to wait staff was attentive and helpful. There are a few other restaurants within walking distance at the marina next to the Radisson for some variety and the prices were reasonable.
So, overall, I had a nice vacation. However, had I paid full price, I would have been disappointed with the accommodations.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Direction C, Responsable relations clients at Le Domaine Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review for us.
We are pleased that you had a nice vacation with us for this second time at Le Domaine.
We do however regret the changes you seemed to have noticed and you can be sure that we will actively work on improving them.
We do hope to see you again soon for an even more pleasant stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Hampton Bays, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Looking for a nice beach to rest & relax over Presidents week, this small resort seemed to fit the bill. Initially we ran into a few bumps; first room # 612 had no wifi ( extremely critical when traveling with a teenager, let alone staying in touch with one's business) not enough hot water, the front desk staff Marie was very accommodating & was able to move us to # 629. Everything worked, unfortunately the next morning we awoke to very early am loud banging and hammering. Across the street from us is a new resort is under construction. Back to the front desk to Anne & Marie and once again they graciously accommodated my request. By 3:00 pm that day we were moved to room # 924. Finally we can relax & rest. The beach is amazing, like a postcard. Views of Anguilla, very prompt service for beach chairs, umbrellas( no charge) offered by Cedric. Great beach cuisine served to you on the beach, food by Leroy Kfe. There is a small gym that is good enough for a quick work out. The tiny spa is good for a quick unwind with therapist Stephanie. Despite the initial bumps the staff makes this place great. I would not hesitate to return or to recommend this small resort. Remember prices are all in euro's, spend accordingly.

Room Tip: Until construction next door is completed ask for rooms in building 900 or 800' free parking, on...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Direction C, Responsable relations publiques at Le Domaine Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for this nice review, we are happy that after a bumpy start you enjoyed your holidays with us and the service profited by our staff.
We do hope that you will recommend our hotel to your friends and will be happy to see you again soon.
Windsor, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Arrived for a one night stay, and initial impression was of a resort hotel that drastically needs refurbishment. It is unfortunate that it is so close to the Radisson Blu (where we had stayed previously, but it was fully occupied during this visit), because comparisons are inevitable. The Radisson is clean, comfortable, well - maintained, and above all sets very good standards of customer service. The contrast is stark and is perhaps best illustrated by the attitude on arrival. Arriving early at The Radisson, we were told that our room would be available as soon as it was ready, and we were allocated a room to change into beach gear. At Domaine de Lonvilliers we were told brusquely (in French) that check-in was not until 1500. When we did get allocated a room, it was a big disappointment. Door lock broken, cracks in walls , faeces in toilet pan (despite the toilet seat bearing a band that proclaimed it was sanitized for our protection!), rust around the pole in the bath - overall just scruffy and certainly not justifying 4 stars. My greatest criticism is reserved for the breakfast buffet (30 Euros), which is almost mandatory given the location of the hotel and the dearth of other options open for breakfast nearby. We arrived about halfway through the 3 hour (0700 - 1000) breakfast 'window', to find that most of the servery dishes were empty. I asked if there were any more scrambled eggs, since all that remained was a yellowish milk at the bottom of the pan - a girl came across and looked in the pan, confirmed that it was empty and walked off. We never saw her (or any scrambled eggs!)again. There were no clean cups or mugs by the coffee machine (we eventually got 2 from another table),all the fresh bread had gone and was not replaced, and generally choice was limited.
Very disappointing overall - would not recommend. Will upload pictures of the room faults described above if TA permits.

Room Tip: Stay next door at The Radisson Blu!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Direction C, Responsable relations clients at Le Domaine Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to inform us of those impressions. I do regret that your one night stay among us lives you such memories.
Be assured that we have paid great attention to your review and we will work on improving quickly the mentioned details.
I do regret that you did not felt welcome enough on arrival; our staff (which speaks perfect English) usually goes out of its way to find helpful solutions. it is in fact difficult during high season when our property is full to give a room before official check in time, but in that case you usually are redirected towards our spa to change. I apologize if it wasn’t clearly stated to you.
I most regret your breakfast experience, our buffet is usually reset many times between 7 and 10am and I do apologize if it wasn’t properly the case on the morning you were here. Be assured that we will take all your remarks into account to improve ours services. For information purposes: our breakfast price is 15€/pers which makes it the less expensive of the surrounding hotels.
Our property is in fact very different in many aspects from our neighbor the Radisson but most of our guests are happy of that difference and appreciate the warmth and attention given to then during their stay.

Travelers are raving about these Anse Marcel hotels

Long Beach, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

During our week sailing in The Carribean we made a supply stop in Anse Marcel. We liked area so much we decided to return at the end of the week and spend our two year anniversary at Le Domaine de Lonvilliers, and relax before our long flight home. We thought it would be nice to stay somewhere that wasn't owned by a big chain......big mistake.

After walking the grounds of the Radisson earlier in the week we were completely disappointed by the state of the gardens at the hotel. Buildings and pathways in a state of disrepair, dead grass everywhere you look, and possibly the worst pool I've seen on any island so far.

The food at the beach bar/restaurant was pretty good....it just took forever for someone to take our order and when we got the bill it was approx. $95 for two lunch plates.

The MAIN issue we had was with the staff and the service, or lack thereof rather. Decided to buy a bottle of Smirnoff Vodka from the bar, which was closing at about 1030. It came to us opened and as soon as we smelled it we quickly realized that whatever was in the bottle wasn't even Vodka, let alone Smirnoff. Took the bottle back to the bar to confront the bar staff and was, in turn, accused of switching the liquor out myself, all the while making offensive jokes and rude comments to each other in French (Yes, Americans know French). As if I'm going to try steal vodka at a hotel that costs $600+ a night. Was then given the only vodka they had left (something terrible) and was told by the manager "Pierre" that it would be taken off our bill. He waited until we were back at home before he sent an email saying that unfortunately, he was instead going to charge us the $110 for the generic house Vodka anyway.

Stay away from this one! The rooms aren't that great, the staff are rude, and there's a 50% chance there will be a backhoe or jackhammer running at the place being built next door. Stay on the Dutch side if you can! A rude and arrogant ending to a week spent in paradise.

Dear Guest,

It is rare for me to respond directly to such comments but I have to on your review.
Because remember I was present with you the evening of the incident. I am the person you hugged the all evening at the beach bar saying what a great team we were, what a wonderful time you were having, how much you wanted to come back quickly. I was also present when the Bottle was open in front of you by our bartender.
I will not comment farther on this incident, the amount of alcohol consumed that evening being possibly the source of it all but you do know perfectly that we tried to arrange thinks for you at best, and we continued afterwards when you send us mails implying that you would write a bad review if not refunded.
I do feel very sorry that you had to end up writing such an hurtful review and most of all that your stay, which seemed to bring you such satisfaction to start with is finishing this way.
I am as always available for more private communication. Ariane
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Dear S.Stalz,

I stayed at the Hotel at the same time as you. The Hotel could use some tender loving care but by no means is it anything like you describe.The staff is wonderful the beach is the best on the Island
will be returning in March for another lovely two Weeks. Can't wait!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Robin,

Thank you so much for this nice review . We are happy that you have such found memories of our staff and hotel and we’ll be waiting to see you again with pleasure in March.
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

A good value for what you pay. The grounds are beautiful and the beach may be the nicest on the whole island. The service is sometimes very prompt and sometimes indifferent. Rooms are basic and clean - nothing to write home about, but then again you're outside for most of the time when you're in a beautiful setting like this anyway. The clientele is primarily European. The fitness center is a joke and not in good repair. The restaurants are average. Proximity to the great restaurants in Grand Case along with the secluded and peaceful beaches in Anse Marcel make this is good choice. The Radisson Blu next door is more polished, but not worth the $200+ a night they charge versus Le Domaine. If you go to Le Domaine not expecting a "Ritz Carlton" experience, you'll be fine. If you're expecting a 4-5 star property, you may be disappointed a bit. I'd go back.

Room Tip: Ground floor units seem to be in more disrepair.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this feedback on Le Domaine.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay among us and will use your remarks to improve our services accordingly.
We will be happy to welcome you back soon and hope that you will enjoy the chances.
Southbury, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

My wife and I just spent a glorious week at this quiet hotel on what I believe is the best beach on St. Martin! And you cannot beat the price! You get the same beach as Radisson Blu, but at half the price. True, the place could be a five star resort with a few improvements - better WiFi, Jacuzzi's by the pool that work, and repairs to the fitness center equipment. But, unlike other reviewers, I found the staff wonderful, although overworked. If you want a quiet resort on a great beach, with excellent food, and Grand Case 15 min. away, and all at a reasonable price - this place is for you!! Be sure to rent a car and bring a good book. We would definitely return!

Room Tip: Least expensive garden rooms were fine.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Direction C, Responsable relations clients at Le Domaine Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so very much for your review and your vision of our hotel.
We will work on the details mentioned to continue improving every day our hotel before your next visit.
Our staff is very proud to have been an important part in making your week holidays "glorious".
We hope to see you again very soon

Been to Le Domaine Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!