“An amazing campsite with nice surroundings and some lovely caravans” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Camping L'Oceano d'Or

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jard-sur-Mer
Camping L'Oceano d'Or
You added Camping L'Oceano d'Or to your Saves list
58 rue Georges Clemenceau, 85520 Jard-sur-Mer, France   |
“An amazing campsite with nice surroundings and some lovely caravans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

I really enjoyed my stay. There was some lovely views,the caravans were lovely and clean and there were plenty of facilities plus lots of entertainment for everyone. It is very close to some nice towns like La Tranche,La Sable,Talmont Saint Hilaire and Saint Jean De Mon.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Penrith
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Have never been to the Vendee region before, having always holidayed in Brittany on various campsites. Found the Vendee to be a nice area especially Jard Sur Mer and Les Sables D'Olonne, places were busy due to it being August holidays but loved the many beaches that were available near to the campsite (within ten minutes drive). Our two young boys loved Plage Les Conches, mainly due to the fact they could make use of the bodyboards we brought for them! The temperature is definitely hotter than Brittany as well, we couldn’t believe the difference from previous weather we have had in Brittany.
We were lucky to get a great pitch on L’Oceano towards the rear of the campsite. Meant walking further to get to the bar and swimming pool but must have helped with the noise as we didn’t find it too noisy. The size and seclusion of the pitch was also a bonus for us and the boys for playing as we didn’t feel like they would be annoying the neighbours! I would definitely recommend decking if its available as well, like having an extra room and great for sitting out in the evening time. The other great thing was the friends the boys made-after the second day we hardly saw them, except when they were hungry! I think if we had just gone to the beach and spent time on the campsite they would have been more than happy!!
Also recommend Puy du Fou-excellent day out, I was a bit hesitant at first due to the price of tickets but having been would definite recommend for a (full!) day out.
All in all a good holiday and will be looking to return next summer, fingers crossed the weather is as good.

Room Tip: Ask for a pitch towards the rear of the campsite.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stayed in a Keycamp supertent and initially, were very pleased with our location. Despite being right next to the toilets, we had very little noise and it made life easier with our children. However, reality set in the next evening and our sleep was constantly disturbed with people using the toilets/showers and the club house. The noise really is as loud as the other reviewers have stated and the site manager really needs to address this problem. There also seemed to be alot of teenagers hanging around the site who I am sure were not holidaymakers.

Our three children really enjoyed the pool area although you did have to arrive early if you wanted a sun bed. I did feel that the pool should have been manned by more than one lifeguard as the slides seemed to be a free for all with an accident waiting to happen.

The walk to the beach takes a good 20 minutes at a fast pace and there are a couple of good restaurants. I would point out that it's not a direct route and you need to keep your bearings after a couple of glasses of wine.

Room Tip: Choose a pitch AWAY from the club house
Lincs
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Firstly the site. Large clean site, decent pool area and bar complex. Walkable to both the town and the large super u (be aware, french supermarkets do not open on sunday afternoons. We arrived sunday afternoon!). You do get noise from the bar at night when activities are on. It is not as bad I thought it maybe and when there was noise it stopeed before midnight. The nearby church rings every hour with the time like Big Ben, that kept us awake more! we were in a caravan type accommodation so that reduced the noise somewhat.

The harbour is walkable but if you want a sandy beach then use "la mine" about 2 miles or so out of town. It has lifeguards and decent waves. Equally there are a number of nice beaches if you head south for a few miles. We had a day at the local castle (St Hilliare) which had themed jousting on. The kids enjoed that and it was not expensive. Only cerain days have events on though.
As I have said there was nothing wrong with the site itself, but I have stayed on ones I prefer more (les genets in my opinion was better)

Now the bad news. We booked with Direct Camping who use French Freedom for their accommodation. We booked are holiday last year and paid for a 3 bedroom unit so that my teenage daughter could have her own room and not share with her brother. When we arrived we were told they had us down for a 2 bed. They told us that they only have one 3 bed unit on the site. The first day was wasted because we had to wait for the manager to attend the following morning to try and sort it. We were very angry to find that there were no 3 beds available even if we agreed to move sites. We were stuck with what we had. They offered us compensation for the difference in price but that is not the point. We paid for a 3 bed and would not have stayed if we thought we were getting 2. Despite a promise of compensation this has still not been forthcoming despite French Freedom acceptin it was there fault.
We spoke to a number of french freedom customers, the majority of who were also unhappy as they too had booked 3 beds and not got them. Fortunately for them they had received letters in advance pointing out the problem. In those cases many were given 2 x 2 beds instead of 3. that would not have been any good to us!
We got the distinct impression that french freedom were taking bookings for 3 bed units when they clearly could not fullfill them. BE VERY AWARE IF YOU BOOK A 3 BED THROUGH THEM. i CERTAINLY WOULD NOT USE THEM AGAIN. I try not to write negative reviews unless really justified. It is in this case believe me.

One last thing! They make you leave your card details for a cleaning deposit. After we moved in we found a box of sanitary towels in the bathroom and a bag of prescription medicines in the cupboard which my kids found! It is a good job they are sensible! When we pointed it out to the rep she just shrugged!

Lincoln, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We arrived on site with the knowledge from your reviews that this could be a noisy site and so we were prepared for this in advance. We asked for a quieter spot away from the reception area at another apart of the camp to help negate the noise, but the one shown to us was extremely crowded with other holiday makers very close, it was a small pitch, overhung with trees and very dark and it felt very closed in. a real "Black hole of Calcutta" When we returned to the reception they indeed tried to help us to find another pitch for our trailer tent but the only pitch available was closer to the reception area... so I took a gamble about noise. Noisy? yes it was! The noise came from the club house and rampant teenagers after the club had shut and.... why oh why do adults have to walk around at 3 O'clock in the morning speaking to each other at the top of their voices? There was one good night.. the club house was shut and it rained at night I thought I had lost my hearing, such was the difference. That particular night the campsite went from poor to very good in my estimation, it was therefore a shame when it returned back to agony the next night. I work in Industry where at most times we use ear defenders for personal protection.. what a pity therefore that I have to resort to using them on holiday. I would say that I think that the management could do something about the noise and then.... well this campsite would be very good indeed. The rest of the campsite is very much as all the other reviews. Shops, pool etc.
It breaks my heart to give a poor review, generally in life I can accommodate most things and compensate for most situations, believe me when I say that I am not one of the worlds complainers........

My recommendations would be to future people going to this site would be
1 ) Don't go in high season.
2) Make sure the club is shut and hope that it rains all night.

One of the good things I want to tell you about is how we that we fixed a problem with our Peugeot car (leaking brake fluid) We went to the local Peugeot Garage at Jard just around the corner. My French is strictly secondary modern school and the engineer was about the same in English. But after a few laughs and a lot of hand waving he fixed it for me. Brilliant and the costs were about the same as the UK. So to them thanks!

Leicester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Pro's - clean pool area, contrary to earlier comment there was some supervision although it did get rowdy at times (over excited teenagers on slides etc), no theft of shoes etc when we were there, very clean site, nice showers and washing up areas, fairly quiet at night, kids park is nice, traffic tends to be very slow as there are kids everywhere, shop stocked decent items although a supermarket is just around the corner

Con's - the complex manager is the most arrogant aggressive rude man i have ever met who, when confronted with a problem, is unhelpful and claims not to speak English (although the rep assured us he is pretty fluent when it suits) - this rubbed off on some of the other staff, the entertainment is appalling to say the least (kids and adults), some of the reception staff know less English than I know Double Dutch which is scary considering the site "welcomes" visitors from all over Europe (I am not one of these people who doesnt make the effort to speak a little tourist French either) this makes finding out information about anything quite difficult at times, the pitches we had were tiny (way less than 100 m2) and we felt like we were in a prison camp due to the 10ft hedges at every side, the pitches are basically on soil which is baked like concrete which means pegs can be hard to get in and when it rains it's a mud bath, shop is over priced, site is on a major road, there is a long walk to the beach if you have small kids and no bike path to get there either so a no go on bikes for young kids too, forget table tennis as there are two tables on whole site and it's always rammed with teenage kids, drinks are expensive at the bar and tasted a little "watery" to me, the beach is ok but there is nowhere on or near the beach to get any kind of refreshments.

We won't be going back mainly due to the cabin fever of the boxed in hedges which made it impossible to relax as the kids were out of sight as soon as they left the immediate area of the tent. However the local area is lovely and we fully intend on trying another site in the region.

Room Tip: Go esewhere
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We arrived a couple of hours early, and it was no problem getting onto site, we were hooked up to electricity really promptly, and ready for pool. My 2 boys adored the slides, The whole site was well layed out, the pitch space was good, the little shop on site was well stocked , although large super U market just a short walk away. The shower area was clean. The park was fab for children they made lots of friends, and we felt that they could have some safe independence, would definitely go again. Beach a little bit further away than anticipated, but still walkable.......

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Camping L'Oceano d'Or? Share your experiences!