“A 'hidden' gem” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Tours, Adventure
Ambleside, England, United Kingdom
“A 'hidden' gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We did this trip a few weeks ago with my parents. It was an excellent day out and definitely worth the drive from Queenstown.

Visited July 2013

Invercargill, New Zealand
26 attraction reviews
“Adrenalin Rush”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

My husband and I did this trip early last year, thoroughly enjoyed it and hope to do it again. The trip across Lake Hauroko and then down the Wairaurahiri River to the sea was totally exhilarating. Johan was a brilliant boat driver and a very informative guide who knows the river and the history or the area so well. The scenery was beautiful, the bbq that was prepared at the lodge for lunch was delicious and the weather at that stage was just lovely. Instead of going back up-river by jet boat, we opted to pay the extra and flew back to the lake by helicopter, landing for short time at the Okaka Hut which is on the Hump Ridge Track. We walked up the board walk to the highest part of the Track but sadly the cloud closed in and the brilliant view we knew was there, was totally obscured. All in all, a brilliant day and we considered it to be real value for money. One of the best jet boat trips we've done!

Visited September 2012
New Zealand
5 attraction reviews
“Exhilerating!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I actually did a trip on this jetboat quite a while back, but didn't realise I could comment on tripadvisor! So, here I go...Johan knows his stuff! He handled that boat brilliantly, obviously knowing the vehicle and the river well, and made the trip exciting and incredible fun, instead of scary as I thought it might be. It was my first time in a jetboat, and I absolutely loved it! He was most informative along the way also, telling us of different conservation incentives in the area, and the scenery was something out of a movie. I live down this way, but still had no idea how gorgeous it was out there in the untouched wilderness alongside the river. All in all, I give Wairaurahiri Jet a massive thumbs up, and can't wait for my next trip! Well done Johan!

Visited August 2012
Tully, Australia
“Must do!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Looking for a truly unique jet boat adventure? Something more than the "down and back" quick Shotover thrill? This was everything we wanted and so much more! A beautiful lake trip, amazing scenery and then a spectacular heart-in-your-mouth river ride. I was a bit apprehensive to be honest but I felt perfectly safe as Johan threw the boat around over the rocks and under tree branches. We arrived at Waitutu lodge for wine and nibbles followed by a delicious Venison barbeque. It was a fantastic day. Something not to miss. Thanks Johan and Joyce.

Visited June 2013
Exeter, United Kingdom
“What a fantastic day!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We had the most fantastic day. Johan is the most amazing guide or driver. After feeling very apprehensive about the trip I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. After setting off after being supplied with life jacket, waterproof and a much appreciated woolly hat we set off across lake Hauroko and then down the Wairaurahiri River. The scenery was absolutely stunning, through ancient unspoilt natural rain forest. Johan stopped many times to tell us about the surrounding forests, conservation and stoat traps which he checked. He is such a wonderful character with a strong passion for the environment. When we reached the sea at the other end, we were dropped off for a short walk through the trees to reach the Waituto Lodge. Here we had the most amazing BBQ complete with venison steaks, burgers etc. all cooked by Johan, it was delicious, as was the wine. The lodge itself is extremely remote, a fabulous place which is well equipped for groups and individuals. After lunch we headed back up the river, every bit as enjoyable going back up the river as it was coming down, very exhilarating. One of the highlights of our time in New Zealand and we feel extremely lucky to have met Johan and had the most fantastic day!

Visited February 2013