“A dream became true” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Le Fontanelle

You added Hotel Le Fontanelle to your Saves list
Hotel Le Fontanelle
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Strada Provinciale 408, km 14.7, 53019 Pianella, Castelnuovo Berardenga, Italy   |
Offers & Announcements
Complimentary bottle of wine
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pianella
Athens
“A dream became true”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

It's the best hotel I ever stayed. The landscape is a dream and the hotel perfect.
"Service" is here not only a word but reality.
The only issue is to find the place, but when you find it, you cannot believe that this is existing.
I spent some days of my honeymoon trip there and for me and my wife it was the PERFECT stay in this hotel. We visited many locations in Toscany during our stay. The next time we will enjoy only the hotel and its amenities in order to have the ideal relexation.
Konstantin Z.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

I traveled with my daughter and her baby, another married daughter and my college age son. They all loved being there. Everyone was so accommodating and helpful to all of us, including my 3 month old granddaughter. I wish we had rented a car but I thought since we were only there for 5 days and they had a van take us into Sienna and arranged transportation to the castel/vineyard nearby that we didn't need one. My son felt a bit stranded but I think we might not have taken enough time at Le Fontanelle if we were constantly out. The two pools, workout area, sauna and steam room were enough to keep us busy. The food was fantastic and in the evening we sat in one of the few parlors reading and talking. The had game tables set up in the bar area that we enjoyed as well. I cannot say enough praise for the hotel and people that work there. Super!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Lancaster
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

Le Fontanelle was an awesome hotel. Sitting near the top of the hill, there are miles of panoramic views. Some of the rooms had the fantastic views but ours did not. Each room has a private entrance. There weren't a lot of people around and the place was never at full capacity during our stay. I got sick while there and the night staff called a physician to help at 2:30AM. They went out of their way to be helpful and even remembered to ask how I was feeling. Anything we asked for they accommodated. They have satellite and a pay per view movie system but there wasn't an additional cost (and were available in English). The rooms were kept clean, linens were better quality. The pools were both really nice. The best food I had while in Italy was at their restaurant. It was excellent but expensive but they add a lot of extra touches that are also included like little candies for dessert (when you don't order dessert) and providing a small appetizer (zucchini flowers stuffed with cheese). The breakfasts were good and although they didn't have eggs on the buffet, they made them if you asked for them. The views from the common areas (pools/restaurants) were spectacular. The entire staff was excellent and this made our vacation really nice.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Irvington, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2008

We just returned from a wonderful week at Le Fontanelle, a new 25 room hotel meticulously restored from a seventeenth century convent. It is situated atop a hill with a 360 paranoramic veiw of the Chianti countryside. While it exceeded the basic requirements of its 5 star rating, it was distunguished by the on site presence of its local owner, manegment team, and dedicated staff who produce the red wine, olive oil, and many herbs on the property. Our every need was anticipated and met. It was a special vacation.

Mr. and Mrs. Martin Deutsch
Irvington, New York

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Stavanger, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2007

I came back to this hotel some days ago, just to meet our US friends who at that time were living at Fontanele. Just point out - last year during a trip throughout Tuscany we drove by the hotel by chance and had there a very-very good dinner. Our memories are still "alive" because of the great sense of hospitality by the gen. manager (that lady, who we learnt, is no longer there - so well introduced the property to us, that coming back home we suggested our US friends, frequetly visiting Tuscany, to try a new experience at Fontanele. So they did this year.
But, unfortunately, we found them in a very lost, puzzled condition, almost reproaching me for such suggestion. As soon as they met me, they exclaimed: "Who needs beauty for beauty?? If we exclude the ordinary staff, everything is so frozen here; we feel living in a luxury military zone rather than in a lovely graceful spot". Yes, we noticed the affected smile of the new Mrs genmanager who with the utmost military carriage accompanied me and my companion to the terrace, while during the way to it, gave instructions to her subordinates in a such tone, as if we were in the barracks.... The same happened in the Belveder terace - affected smile from the main waiter and too much his presence during dinner. But at the end myself and my friends welcomed the Chef, a big, sunny guy from Neaples who prepared an excellent dinner. Thanks God and Ernest (his name?). My friends were very happy to leave the hotel next morning counting on deleting as soon as possible that real feeling that Beauty (the Hotel is beautiful, indeed) without warmth, without a deep sense of hospitality (and not only in the appearance) is really nothing.

• Stayed September 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2007

Just back from an organised trip to Tuscany over a long weekend, and stayed two nights at Le Fontanelle. We have been lucky enough to stay at a large number of 5 star hotels, and this rates towards the very top.
If you work, or live, in a very pressurised environment, this is the place for you....it is in a beautiful location, set high in the hills, overlooking vineyards and olive groves. Tranquility is the word.
We stayed in a suite (room 5 ) with fantastic views over two valleys. The room was very spacious, immaculately clean, and with a good size, comfortable bed, and well sized and equipped bathroom.
The food was of an extremely high quality (if somewhat pricey), and gave me real pleasure at every meal. Service was excellent...very professional and at the same time the staff took time to engage with you.
We also went to a local Castle (Castello di Brollio) for a wine tasting and tour, which I would recommend.
The hotel is around 25 mins from Siena, and about 1 hour or so from Florence. We used the pool, and although it was May, it was not heated, but not too icy! I would think the best time to go would be April to June, and then September to November, as apparently it gets very hot in July and August.
Great for a chill out taste of Italy at it's best.

• Liked — location, food and service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2006

This is a true 5 star hotel. Though there are only 24 rooms, you will want for nothing. Just opened in July 2006, this hotel has paid attention to detail. The sheets are linen, the glasses are crystal and the service is sterling. Our room was of adequate size for a short stay and had a private garden. Breakfast begins with beautiful little buffet of cold meats, cheeses, pastries and cereals. Then eggs are offered cooked to order. Dinner offers a standard Tuscan menu, elegantly served. The food, while very good, is no better than what is usually available at a good trattoria. That is not a shortcoming of the hotel; it's just that the food in Italian tratorias is very good. While not inexpensive, prices were not outlandish. Our room was about 300 Euros. There are many picturesque hotels hidden in the Tuscan hills, but it would be hard to find one with this level of facilities and service.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Le Fontanelle? Share your experiences!