“Peaceful isolated rural retreat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Le Fontanelle

You added Hotel Le Fontanelle to your Saves list
Hotel Le Fontanelle
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Strada Provinciale 408, km 14.7, 53019 Pianella, Castelnuovo Berardenga, Italy   |
Offers & Announcements
Complimentary bottle of wine
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pianella
New Zealand
“Peaceful isolated rural retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

3 days of luxury chilling out. Mastering the art of doing very little. Excellent restaurant. Hardworking but slightly disfunctional reception. We had a room with a little private terrace which was lovely. Only tiny gripe is that the shower was over the bath - and I do much prefer a walk-in shower.

• Stayed August 2014
Marion W, Direttore generale at Hotel Le Fontanelle, responded to this review, September 19, 2014
Dear Guest,

We thank you again for having chosen Hotel Le Fontanelle during your stay in Tuscany and will take consideration of your comments for valuing possible improvements for the future.

Hoping to welcoming you again to Hotel Le Fontanelle, I send my kindest regards.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

This was our second visit to La Fontanelle and we couldn't recommend it more. We came here on our honeymoon and could not wait to return. The hotel setting, view, rooms, service, food - everything - was simply outstanding. We didn't want to leave. It has one of the most beautiful views I have ever seen, and the operation of the hotel is faultless. We highly recommend visiting La Fontanelle, it is a superb hotel and you will feel incredibly rejuvenated after your stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Marion W, Direttore generale at Hotel Le Fontanelle, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear Friends,

We thank you very much for having honored us to welcome you again and this time for sharing with us the nice novelty of your family growing. We really wish you all the best and are happy you had the chance to rejuvenate yourselves here at Hotel Le Fontanelle.

We look forward to a future occasion for finally have the chance to meet your baby .

Warmest regards.

Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

What a lovely hotel and setting! Set in very quiet countryside, up a private drive off a single track road off a country road! Views from the hotel include vineyards, fields, woods and hills. The pool area is very quiet with plenty of loungers and those great views. We had a basic 'classic' room which was lovely, air-conditioned and had views out over fields and woods where a couple of deer came to graze every evening. We took the half board deal which gave us a 3-course dinner which includes a choice of any 3 dishes from the menu. There is also a menu that changes daily and delights included fois gras, truffles and home-made pasta-the food is really very good. We cannot fault this hotel as the service staff couldn't have been more helpful.

Room Tip: We had room 2 which was very quiet
Dear Guests,

We thank you again for having chosen Hotel Le Fontanelle during your stay in Tuscany and are pleased you liked your stay at our Property in its totality.

Hoping to meeting you again in the future, I send you my kindest regards.

Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Having just come back from a 3 centre holiday (please read other reports) I can only write with disappointment about this hotel. I asked for a quiet room and was placed right outside the entrance to the lobby and restaurant (room 23 I think) where I could hear the piano player tinkering away into the small hours. We asked to be moved and although full, they were good enough to move us to a much quieter room (15) which I have to say was very nice. It came with a proper shower (the other room was a makeshift effort above a bath, not good if you were disabled). Overall the service was non existent, the lady who took our breakfast order every day never wrote the order down (there were 4 of us) and invariably either got it wrong or forgot something. Never once did she smile and we barely got a hello. Room service was the same, I tried to call reception on one occasion as the TV did not appear to be working (the first room had two remotes, one to switch on the TV and another for Sky) my second room only had the Sky box which I was unable at first to use. The phone has a button marked reception, on pressing it nothing happened so I walked to the reception to be told you need to dial a number (although there was nothing in the room to tell me this). Later I needed to order an iron and ironing board, I rang reception to be told I needed to call another number for room service. On dialling this the man spoke no English so I had to call reception again, he then put me through to the same guy who thought I wanted something to eat. I gave up and walked to reception (I knew the way by now) and explained my simple request, later the things were delivered. Anywhere else you would expect someone to say, not a problem sir, I will get that sent to your room at the first time of calling. We could not get the safe to work, on calling reception we were told there were instructions on the inside of the wardrobe, no instructions, rung back, later instructions were in the wardrobe. This is not a big resort, how long would it take to send someone to show you when you are obviously struggling. On saying all this, we had a meal in the restaurant on the last night and the gentleman (Vittorio I think) in charge on the night and a lady who had a little tattoo on her ankle were superb, as was the food. Other things to point out, the beds are very comfy, nice and firm, not soft, although they supply sheets (again good quality) not duvets. The location is typical Tuscan landscape, very beautiful although we found it (our own fault) too far south to make it easy to explore certain regions. It is based on a road which takes about 25-30 minutes to get onto a main road either way you drive. I appreciate this review does not reflect the majority of other peoples experience, unfortunately the reality for us was far less than we had hoped, as the previous reviews were the very reason we chose this hotel.

Room Tip: I would not recommend room 23 however 15 was very nice.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Marion W, Direttore generale at Hotel Le Fontanelle, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear Guests,

We are surprised receiving a review so severe from your side at this stage, considering that during your stay, apart the room move you asked for and to what we promptly react, you did not mention your observations neither to the Staff nor in the Guests satisfaction Survey you received on your last day at our Hotel.
On the other side we have been pleased to receive positive and constructive comments from the couple of friends you were travelling with.
Regarding the music you were hearing from your first room, we take the occasion to introduce you our professional Musician, Aldo, who comes at the Hotel only few days per month to softly enrich the atmosphere during our dinners and he always stops playing within maximum 11:00pm. In general he is very much appreciated by our Guests and are sorry having caused an inconvenience to you.
Also, we would take the opportunity to clarify the information regarding the position of Hotel Le Fontanelle: the Hotel is located in the countryside of the Chianti region and in reality you need 25-30 minutes to reach the main Town of Siena not the main road (also, if our Guests prefer not to drive, the Hotel offers a free shuttle service to/from the centre of the town). Instead the main road, the SP 408 -linked to all other nearby villages and the famous Chiantigiana Road- is not even 5 minutes just to discend the hill.
We are sorry to understand that you felt your experience at Hotel Le Fontanelle not to be up to your standard: our passion is oriented on Guests Service and their satisfaction and the wish to leave them a beautiful memory of our Property. Sadly to learn, we have not succeded in our aim in this occasion.

Sincerely yours.

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Beautiful hotel, built in 2006 and looks very new - in great condition. The rooms, amenities, and property are incredible and offer great views.

The hotel staff is nice, but not a great professional hotel staff. They try hard, but fall short.

Some bullets

We arrived by Taxi and were dropped off at the front reception area. There was no one to greet us, and we had to wonder around a bit to find the reception/checkin area.

The restaurant is very good and wait staff very good - nice dinner and breakfast

The beds are very hard and are two twin beds pushed together, not terribly comfortable.

There's not a true concierge, which I would have expected at a 5 star hotel. The staff was not terribly helpful in suggesting tours/attractions that they did not book through the hotel, which were more expensive than independent options.

Too many kids here - if you want to relax by the pool, the indoor pool is the better option because of this.

The bartender at the pool was very slow and the pool was not busy. He didn't come back to offer another drink, had to go find him.

However, still a beautiful property, and a nice 4 star hotel, - this is not a 5 star in my opinion.

Room Tip: we had a jr suite - and it had a great outdoor patio
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Marion W, Direttore generale at Hotel Le Fontanelle, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear Sir,

We thank you for having taking the time to review your stay at Hotel Le Fontanelle.
From our side, we take the occasion to explain some points that in reality as mentioned do not reflect our reality.
Always, once new Guests come at our Hotel, we recognize them at the gate of entrance when they ring the bell and tell us their names (the gate is always closed for protecting the privacy of people already staying at the Hotel) and immediately a Member of our Staff is ready at the Garage for welcoming the new Guests arriving. Probably once you arrived that day you found the gate opened because of people just entered and our Front Desk did not know about your arriving.

We are sorry you felt our Concierge Service not existing and you remained unsatisfied, but you asked our Concierge to arrange for you a service trough an external supplier (not belonging to our accurate selection made on purpose for our Guests) and, even if on very short notice our Concierge Team fulfilled your wishes, you anyway did not like that external experience, which we are not responsible for.

In general I can tell you that under the selection of both Staff and Suppliers getting in contact with our Guests experiences, there is a wise and accurate evaluation in line with our Philosophy and I am really sorry you did not feel this intention in your perception of Hotel Le Fontanelle.

Sincerely yours.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

We were in Italy and France for almost three weeks and this hotel was the only one I booked that I was nervous about. I should not have been worried. This was the most relaxing portion of our vacation. It was like a special little oasis that swallowed us all up into a Zen mode. The view was breathtaking, the service was wonderful, the rooms were large and clean. My one complaint would be the beds were not as comfortable as I like. The food was amazing. We ate all our meals here and none disappointed. Such a wonderful stay, I wish we had stayed a few more nights. We will be back!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guests,

thank you for your kind review.
We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Le Fontanelle and that everything (views, setting, service, room, food and service) exceeded your expectations and let you feel relaxed.
Even if you had not the chance to stay longer than you wished this time, we do hope in a future occasion!

With my kindest regards,
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Hotel Le Fontanelle is all of the things the previous posts have said. It has immaculate grounds, beautiful views, great service (which is not necessarily common in Italy!), and a lovely staff. What Hotel Le Fontanelle is NOT is a place to bring your kids. We arrived there in late June with our 3 kids in tow (ages 9, 13, 15), after an enthusiastic recommendation from a friend of a friend whose family had also stayed there with their 3 kids and loved it. The open, beautiful pool and extensive grounds seemed like a good place for our kids to stretch their legs and blow off some steam after touring the cities of Rome and Florence. Unfortunately for us, you could hear a pin drop at the pool (all the while it is written in my boy's DNA to do a cannonball when seeing such pool!). The place is quiet. Super quiet. And adult, and a wee bit formal. The staff was of course as gracious and welcoming as they could be and some even seemed quite enamored with the boys due to the novelty! (Roxanne was especially sweet!) But we all were thinking the same thing…"What are we doing there with our kids?". Ultimately we had a great time but this is a fabulous place for honeymooners and empty nesters looking for peace and quiet, and lovely views. But leave the kids at home.

Room Tip: We stayed inside the hotel on the 3rd floor and our rooms were lovely and spacious.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guests,

We thank you very much for your kind review and for firstly saying that your experience confirmed all posts previously written from other Guests.
We are pleased you enjoyed our location, views, service and staff, but at the same time are sad you felt your children not be properly in the right place. In reality, we also have families staying at our Hotel and generally children have the chance to experience positevely their own way, too. As you saw, Hotel Le Fontanelle puts at Guests disposal two different pool areas for their leisure, one inside and one outside, and our Concierge Team is always more than happy to also propose some external activities for children, such as the horseback riding, the Adventure Park in Rapolano Terme, the Pinocchio Park nearby Pistoia, the San Galgano village to revoke the story of the sword in the rock, the Cashmere goats farm, and so on. At the same time we agree the fact as you said that our property is not the ideal location for „cannonballs“ or plunges in the pool in respect of other Guests staying that potentially could need to relax.
So, we thank you very much for having had the sensitivity to understand our location and anyway hope to have the chance to welcome you all again to Hotel Le Fontanelle in the future.

Kind regards.
Marion Winski

Been to Hotel Le Fontanelle? Share your experiences!