“Difficult to rate....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Le Fontanelle

You added Hotel Le Fontanelle to your Saves list
Hotel Le Fontanelle
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Strada Provinciale 408, km 14.7, 53019 Pianella, Castelnuovo Berardenga, Italy   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pianella
Uk
“Difficult to rate....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

Just returned from La Fontanelle & was struggling to decide between a 3 and 4 rating, see below for pros and cons:
Pros: Stunning setting, large outdoor pool, lots of lovely sun loungers, great restaurant setting, spotlessly clean, many seating areas both indoors and outdoors, allow well behaved on site ( even by the pool) library with good selection of books, some evenings a pianist plays, free wifi- good signal
Cons: Poolside menu very basic and not in keeping with the rest of hotel philosophy, rooms pretty simple and sound proofing not great especially late evening and from around 6.00am when staff start to arrive, wi fi unit very noisy by the bed especially around 5.00 am for some reason, no kettle in room, very basic hair dryer, lots and lots of Mosquitos, if the pianist not playing dinner is lacking atmosphere, dining and room charges are pretty high given the location.

Overall we enjoyed our 4 days but would probably go to villa San Michele or Villa Cora in Florence next time. To be honest we were a bit bored.
additionally the hotel needs to improve the directions on the web site as it is more complicated than indicated.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
MediaGuestRelations, Direttore at Hotel Le Fontanelle, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for the time you dedicated to us writing your review and are pleased you appreciated all things listed in your PROs.
We are sorry that at the main time you had a CONs list, too, and that you did not enjoyed at best your stay at our Property. We will consider your comment as constructive for improving ourselves.

Marion Winski

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

My family stayed at the Hotel Le Fontanelle for three nights and I can confirm that it deserves every one of the five star ratings on TripAdviser. There is probably not much I can say about the hotel that hasn't been said before, but my family (including twelve year old son) agreed that it was the best place we had ever stayed. The hotel is deliberately small and intimate with only twenty five rooms, and as a result it never felt crowded. The rooms and facilities were beautifully designed and maintained and you could tell that a lot of thought had gone into creating this beautiful place.

The highlight for us, though, was the restaurant. As the weather was so warm, we were able to eat outside on the shaded terrace and the experience was breathtaking. The views over Tuscany are amazing and the food was second to none. We had originally planned on eating outside the hotel each evening, but after one night eating on the terrace we were converted! I was particularly impressed that the hotel had a menu especially for their younger guests including simpler dishes such as pasta and tomato sauce and steak and chips which my son wholeheartedly recommended! That said, although the hotel was very welcoming to younger guests, it may not be entirely suitable for very young children given that the focus of the hotel is upon relaxing and resting rather than entertainment.

Service was deliberately low key, discrete and subtle, but always there when you needed it. The mark of a quality establishment.

One point to note re getting there is that the location of the hotel on google maps is not exactly correct. The hotel is a couple of miles south of the point it is shown at. Basically if you are driving south on the SP408 and you go past the turning whiich is highlighted as the hotel and continue on for a couple of minutes then you will reach a sign pointing to "fontanelle". The (long and winding) driveway to the hotel is then on the right.

Overall, a wonderful place to stay and we will certainly be back next year. Yes, it is expensive, but this is a case of getting what you pay for: I cannot recommend it highly enough!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guests,

It was a tremendous pleasure having you and your sweet son here and it was our pleasure to propose him our special "Kids Menu".

We are glad to learn that you also appreciated the architectural design of our Hotel: our ownership made its best to keep intact the historical identity of this ancient location, and daily tries to provide as more comforts as possible to our Guests, linking tradition to innovation.
Over the years, we tried to keep abreast of technologies, improving for example our WI-FI system and web visibility also creating an application on purpose for IPhone/IPad/SmartPhones and an update on GPS navigators.
Also with GoogleMaps we made the best we could, because it does not recognize the last road reaching us upon the hill. It is correct what you noticed regarding the location point indicated on GoogleMaps, and it that precise point was on purpose our choice: differently maps automatically calculate the itinerary coming from the other side of the hill by dirt roads, and consequently not much advisable.
This way instead you can be sure to find us for sure and… keep your car clean :-)

We hope to meet your family again in the future and wish you all the best.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

The food is absolutely the best we've had in Italy in the last two weeks. The chef accommodated our allergies and made beautiful, complex, sophisticated dishes which we savored at every meal. Our massages were wonderful and the staff was truly INCREDIBLE. We felt so well cared-for and nourished. Please keep in mind, this may not be an ideal family getaway, but best for couples or individuals who need a break or time with a good book or journal and a glass of lovely wine amidst a gorgeous view. We did ride the bikes and Vespas along the hills and soaked in the relaxing atmosphere. It's a respite, an escape, a quiet place of beauty and tranquility. Top notch!!!

Room Tip: We were upgraded to a suite and loved it!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guests,

We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your experience at our Hotel and in the surrounding Chianti region by our Vespa scooters.

All our Staff had been glad to pamper you!

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

This was our 5th visit to La Fontanelle and once again we were overwhelmed by the experience. The property, location, service, food - but most importantly - the wonderful staff are second to none. Each year we visit for a 'recharge' from our busy lives and La Fontanelle always delivers. This is not for those seeking a party or buzzy atmosphere but it is absolutely for those who want to rest and recuperate, take time out from busy lives, tour the beautiful Chianti region and surrounding areas and just lie by the tranquil pool, soaking in the amazing views and enjoying a glass of Franciacorte at the end of the day. Siena, Florence and Montalcino can all easily be reached when you want to drag yourself away from this heavenly place. Highly recommended. Thank you Marion, Salvatore and all the amazing staff.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Friends,

For the 5th time, thank you very very much for having spent your time with us. It is always a tremendous pleasure to meet you and we are looking forward in a soon next time!
And, never forget... "If you don't ask, don't get!"

Best regards.

Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Amazing hotel!! Gorgeous yet unpretentious. Service was amazing and would return for the meals only, especially breakfast! The view while relaxing by the pool was one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. We had a room by the pool with a private spot to enjoy morning coffee and evening champagne.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are happy to learn you enjoyed our Service and found here your Relax.
It could be a good reason for coming back then!

Hoping to welcome you again, we send you our best regards.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

How fortunate we were to spend two days at this gorgeous hotel! We had booked a junior suite, but were upgraded to a full suite upon arrival. It was so beautiful and included a garden area with magnificent vistas. From the check-in process all the way through our time there, we experienced superb service from the entire staff. We dined al fresco both evenings on the beautiful terrace overlooking the Tuscan countryside. The cuisine was equal to the view! It's located not too far from Siena, and we spent an afternoon driving to San Gemignano and Volterra. I'll never forget how peaceful we felt there. Our trip was cut short due to a death in our family, and the staff was very kind under these circumstances. I'm looking forward to returning to Tuscany, and will most definitely have Le Fontanelle on the itinerary.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guests,

...How fortunate we were to have as Guests of our Hotel!

We wish you all the best and hope to see you again.

kihei
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

We stayed here last year and had a wonderful time. Expectations were high for another nice trip at Le Fontanelle and we were pleased. This location in Chianti is perfect for day trips to various towns.

We had a suite with a large private lanai and yard with it's own apricot tree. The views were heavenly. The bed is comfortable, and we're tempurpedic people, difficult to please. The linens are soft linen, not scratchy linen. The room is decorated with quiet country elegance. Wifi was no issue this year. We were supplied with plenty of shampoos, etc. all we needed. Overall this hotel notices who you are. I’m allergic to everything. So I placed the bouquet of fresh flowers outside and hid the potpourri in a cabinet. They respected that. I’ve stayed in places where they have to put it all back every day as if they’re ticking boxes instead of noticing what makes us happy. Not at Hotel Le Fontanelle, they care.

The service at this hotel is by far the best we had on our trip to Italy. The employees are clearly enjoying their work and the guests. However, everyone was professional as well. The front desk will attend to every need. The laundry service? WOW! I filled out the our names and room number and signed the form. The pile was sitting on the chair across the room, figuring I would list it all after dinner. After dinner, I discovered the laundry was missing. The turn down maid saw the form was signed and took it all so I wouldn't have to deal with it. Wasn't that nice? It all came back, on time, wonderful. The rooms were cleaned to perfection. The room service is a delight. They offer to bring it in courses. I had an electric hot water kettle placed in the room. When I needed a ceramic tea pot, they heated it before bringing it. Really? That was such a special touch. The restaurant is a delight with wonderful flavors. The breakfast buffet has a generous spread of yogurts, fruits, local honey and preserves, meats, pastries, etc. The dinner menu is good, the specials are high quality. The steak, pasta, fish, ok, everything gets special mention. Just eat there. It's expensive, yes. But if you're paying that much for a hotel, you can afford that much for dinner. The surprises from the chef at breakfast were over the top. I'm still surprised with the variety offered for so few guests overall. When we stopped and really thought about what is available compared to how many guests were staying there I felt so much gratitude.

So every wonderful hotel has it's weak points. What are they?
1. The outdoor pool. The outdoor pool's location is beautiful and perfect. The service was well intentioned and sweet. But, the poolside lunch menu is really lacking, as is the flexibility to make something off menu.
2. The bathrooms in the suites are teeny tiny and truly, not 5 stars. This is because of the architectural restrictions when they remodeled. It's just good to be forewarned. This is not a Four Season's bathroom, it's a tasteful adorable country inn bathroom. They've made efforts to improve the lack of a counter top with glass shelves and trolleys. I found it to be functional, it's just lower your expectations, ok?
3. The blow dryers, yes, special mention, not in the bathroom review. Ok guys, most 5 star hotels that cost this much provide a Full Size Ion hair dryer. Especially in a suite. Not some little travel dryer with a button that has to be held down while using. I'm guessing this place is owned by a man, or a lady who has wash and wear hair. Or maybe the electricity isn't sufficient? Not sure what's going on there...
4. If you're shipping things home, specify EXACTLY when you want them to ship. The hotel sub contracts to MBE in Siena. They do a lovely job, everything arrived safe and sound. Just let them know when you want it sent and it will all be fine.
5. Why are all the chairs backwards in the restaurant? Backs to the view? I'm not getting that. Is this a cultural thing I'm ignorant of? One night I switched it, but I felt odd because everyone else was facing the restaurant instead of the view.
6. The Gym. An indoor pool? That was amazing! I loved it again this year. However, the gym is teeny tiny, like the bathrooms. Two treadmills, two bikes, an elliptical, a cable type machine, free weights and a bench. That's it. There is no room to use the weights/bench etc. I made do with the Fabulous Indoor Pool. However, I eat a lot of food in Italy, I wanted more options for the price of the hotel. Maybe this will be rectified with the new building being built up on the hill? Or maybe I'll just become a better swimmer. Hard to say if I'm complaining or complementing the hotel with this one.
7. Not their weak point, more our weak point: Your GPS has many settings with various ways to input a location. Make sure yours is the same input type as theirs before you enter the journey. No one wants to reprogram in a roundabout. Or, maybe the hotel would consider posting all 3 versions of their GPS coordinates.
8. TV, yep, we’re those people. We turn on the TV, when? Well when I’m using the full size hair dryer of course, ha ha. Not kidding. I think that tiny hair dryer saved my husband some aggravation. ( Since I was just putting my hair up wet. ) We couldn’t find an English station. Most hotels have the CNN world news or something… I’m not expecting more than that. Thank you good wifi!

All in all I would totally stay here again. Actually, we've already booked it. They're really wonderful, all of my pickiness aside, this is a wonderful experience, with a delightful team, and a perfect location in Chianti.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Friends,

First of all, thank you very much for having returned at Hotel Le Fontanelle and for your new booking for 2013 season! We are thrilled to meet you again.
Also, we would like to thank you for the precious review you left us: it is also thanks to our Guests' thoughts that we could try to collect ideas to improve ourselves and we are pleased you found some positive changes this year.
We are happy you understood our spontaneity and devotion in assisting our Guests, because we really care about that. Our first purpose is to satisfy our Guests' needs and if -for human reasons- we cannot "promise" something (because... you can never know), on the other side, Guests can be sure we will all anyway try to do OUR BEST to resolve it!
Believe me, it is not presumption, but just our wish of making our Guests stay as more memorable as possible (surely in positive sense!).
At the same time, we will keep on trying always more reducing our weak points when possible.

Looking forward to welcoming you again, we wish you a great life!

Best regards,

Marion Winski
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pianella
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive Tuscan Resort & Spa
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive ...
#1 of 8 in Gaiole in Chianti
Villa Curina
Villa Curina
#3 of 13 in Castelnuovo Berardenga
4.5 of 5 stars 106 reviews

Been to Hotel Le Fontanelle? Share your experiences!