“Brilliant sea kayaking trip” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 1 Attractions in Garve
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Unexplored Scotland offers great hillwalking, mountain biking and sea kayaking adventure holidays and trips in the Highlands of Scotland
London, United Kingdom
“Brilliant sea kayaking trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

Andreas took us on a 2-day sea kayaking trip around the Summer Isles during August 2011. He arranged the trip specifically to fit in with our travel plans and put a custom itinerary together, based on our previous skills and experience. He even arranged for blue skies and calm seas! We had a fantastic time, exploring the coastline and the wildlife, and learned new skills at the same time.

Visited August 2011

Canberra, Australia
“awesome sea kayaking experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

I was visiting UK from Australia and had booked Andreas at Highland Ascent for a 3 day sea kayaking trip around the southern edge of Skye. This was an awesome experience, much enhanced by the excellent sea kayak and camping equipment supplied, Andreas's professional guiding skills and in depth knowledge of the area. Highly recommended.

Visited July 2011
Stirling, United Kingdom
“Winter skills well worth learning”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

Absolutely fantastic weekend! Well planned and instructor was full of useful knowledge. Essential skills for winter mountaineering!

Visited March 2011
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Winter Skills”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

What can you learn on a two day Winter Skills course with Highland Ascent? With Andreas as your instructor the answer is A LOT!
I have done quite a few winter walks in UK mountain ranges, and thanks to Andreas have developed new skills and more importantly more respect for winter conditions.

Visited February 2011
Nethy Bridge, United Kingdom
“A great weekend on the wonderful Moray Firth”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2010

6th-7th of November was a weekend of clear, crisp weather, with snow on the hills to the west – the wind reminded us of that even when the snow was out of sight. I had been sea kayaking on the beautiful Moray Firth several times in the summer, but it showed a different face this time, and had a bigger swell running – against the wind – than I had ever seen there before. It may be close to villages and facilities, but it is a different experience each time.
I started sea kayaking earlier this year, and wanted to round off progress with further training and assessement, and it was great to do it with Andreas who had started me off. I also had a new dry-cag which gave me the confidence to take slightly greater chances with edging – and what a difference it made.
There were only four of us, so we were able to cross from Rosemarkie at a comfortable pace without stopping, the advantage of small groups. Fort George, an 18th century artillery fort was as impressive as always, adding variety to the seascape and landscape. The trip was designed to give us variety, and we travelled around the Firth seeing the sights, doing formal training in small manageable chuncks. We kept an eye out for dolphins but none appeared – neither the season nor the tide was right – but a surprising number of seals and sea birds came close to us.
Everyone heads to the west coast as soon as they can, but never under-rate the east coast firths - they have so much to offer. It was a great choice of location. Rosemakie is a lovely place in its own right, but the shoreline changes just a mile away. Moving along the coast, the assessment consisted of us rock-hopping, using our judgment. My initial judgement was that with the rocks so near to the shore, and with the outgoing swell baring every rock around, that I should not go anywhere near them. Still, there was nothing for it, and using a few strokes that are not in the book my new cag survived. The exercise had been well chosen for the conditions. It was good fun, and I learned a lot from it - but I would not have done it without a competent leader standing by.
The sad bit came at the end of the day. It was not freezing – indeed perhaps as much as five degrees above it. The dry suit kept me dry if not warm while rolling, but eventually there was nothing for it but to go in for rescues. As everyone says, the sea is not too bad, it is the air that does it. Fortunately it was a slick rescue, and I would not have got too cold if I had practiced getting the dry suit off before using it for real.
It was a great couple of days though, plenty of exercise, the wonderful scenery of the Moray Firth, wild life and good company. Thanks to Andreas for starting my training earlier this year, and for organising this trip to round it off. It made my kayaking year, and I am on the list for magical camping trips to the warm, sunny Hebrides next year.
John Clube

Been to Unexplored Scotland? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Unexplored Scotland, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.