“Business trip” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Rumlang
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Business trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I was in Zurich on a business trip and took my family with me. Reading stories here, I wanted to change, but in the end was happy that we stayed there. Room was clean, service very good. I reckon that when people complain about the front desk, they do not say that there is a free shuttle to/from the airport and when you have 20 people arriving at the same time of course there will be a Q. I reckon that for HOlInn Xpress the standard was good. Both managers we met were great and very helpful. Breakfast was enough for us and I liked the swiss cake. Train station is 3 minutes walk distance, airport shuttle for free. Overall, I can recommend the hotel. It is not Intercon, but you also pay a very good price (for overall expensive Switzerland).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Holiday Inn Exp... Z, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for staying at our hotel and for writing such a detailed review. We are very happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay at our hotel and that you were satisfied with our helpful service.

Hope to see you soon back again at our property.

Regards

745 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Jakarta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

With location close to airport and the train station, I think this hotel has no other good things to offer.

Front office service is slow, you can see people lining up. It would be better if they can organize a bit so it wouldn't be a long queue. Wi-Fi is free for 30mins, you have to pay for the rest. Food for breakfast was nothing special. Stay for 3 days and it was the same everyday.

All in all, pretty standard. You come and sleep, that's it.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying at our property and for giving us such a detailed review. These information will help us to increase our quality standards.
We have reacted at once and will take the following steps:

1. more staff will be present in the evening for the check-in period to avoid waiting time
2. our IT-Manger was informed and we will make sure the Front-Office System is upgraded and that it will work faster
3. We offer 30 Minutes free internet for our guest to check their emails and also to print boarding passes. Our Priority Club Platim and Gold members receive free internet and from 1st January on also our Priortity Basic/Club members will receive free internet all the time. I recommend to enrol and become a member of the IHG loyality program. I will be a pleasure to assist you and offer our help if you have questions.
4. I will discuss the variety of the breakfast buffet with our F&B-Supervisor

We apologize once more for any inconveniences caused and please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss your stay more in detail with me. All supl. information will be a big help for us.

Kind regards
Thomas Mettler, GM (gm@hiexzurich.ch)
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I think the hotel is fine unless you have a problem. Unfortunately we had one, with the shuttle bus, and the manager on duty, Igzmia, didn't handle it very well. Above all, she was very rude.

We reorganized a shuttle bus to the airport from 7 AM to 7:30 AM and when we went to take the bus we were told it was full.

When I discussed the problem with the manager on duty, Igzmia, she was rude and clearly stressed. When I asked whether the hotel could provide a taxi for us, I was told they could do it, however since the person that took my request to reorganize the bus had already gone home I would have to talk to discuss the matter with later by phone, and my credit card would be charged with the taxi in case he denies our request.
I found the answer unprofessional, but above all, Igzmia was very rude.
I was traveling with my wife and children (very young). At the end they give us a place in the following shuttle, 8 AM, even though, at the start of our conversation Igzmia had said that the next shuttle with places available was 8:30 AM. We had stayed before in HI airport hotels, unfortunately we won't be staying with the chain again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying at our hotel and for giving us such a detailed review about your stay. All your points will help us to improve our quality and to make sure guests love our hotel.

I deeply apologize for the miss-behaviour of our staff member. I talked already to the staff member and she has understood that her reaction was not acceptable. She received a warning and if such an incident happens again she will have to leave the hotel.

Again, I am very sorry for this incident and I would appreciate if you could call me to discuss your stay personally (+41-44-8093400/gm@hiexzurich.ch)

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

The location of this hotel has train service to the Zurich hbf within 15 mins. The frequency is about 2 times per hour. Staying at this hotel allowed me to reach the tourist centre or package day tours near to Zurich hbf without much difficulty. I could park my car at the hotel without paying hefty parking cost in Zurich. The breakfast is above typical standard of holiday inn express especially with the selection of hot beverages. However it could be that I am slightly unlucky to be assigned or given a room with faulty ac as a result a change of room is needed in the middle of the night. I appreciate the front desk for helping us to move to another room but would appreciate better if rooms generically do not have these issues. Other than these we also have to understand the expectation of what we are getting for the price we are paying. I do really want to thank the staff there for their good service despite the heavy customer inflow during peak hours. It's not easy and also the amount of man power given for the breakfast, maintaining and refilling the food. The breakfast starts at 4am! Not many hotel does that...

• Stayed October 2013
Holiday Inn Exp... Z, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for staying at our hotel. We are happy that you had such a pleasant stay and that you experienced such helpful and friendly staff at our hotel.
I would appreciate if you could inform me which room number the first room had in which there where challenges with the air con, so that I can check this (gm@hiexzurich.ch).
Thank you for helping us to solve this issue for future guests.

Hope to welcome you soon back again.

MARKHAM
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

The first indication of trouble was on check in. Guests arguing with the staff about rates and internet charges, mostly. They had our reservation information, but at a higher rate than we had booked with Holiday Inn central. Fortunately, my computer had an email confirmation of the reservation; I had to turn it on to show them the rate, at which point they accepted it. I had also been told at the time of reservation that internet was included - it is at Holidays Inns around in the world, particularly in the more civilized countries. The front desk clerk was very proud that here it was NOT - "in Switzerland everything costs". The "free" 30 minute internet voucher lasted 14 minutes of email (not high bandwidth consumption). I purchased 15 minute (lasted 6 minutes) and 60 (lasted 21 minutes) minute vouchers. This last was activated at the front desk where they could verify that it was not providing the purchased time. The staff response: "You can buy another hour".

It is a great pity. The building is modern if somewhat difficult to find. Rooms are well appointed though small. This could be a great airport hotel if the management and the staff has the slightest respect for the paying guest. The staff seemed to take pride in their rudeness, They seemed to argue with almost everyone checking in or out.

The 2 final images for this hotel are quite telling: 1. Two guests trying to speak to the manager chasing him through the lobby, and 2. a bowl of small Swiss chocolates labeled "thank you to our guests" hidden behind and below the counter where nobody could access them.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying at our property and for giving us such a detailed review of your stay.
We are very sorry that you experienced a couple of unsatisfying issues and I would like to apologize for the confusing check-in at the beginning of your stay.
Unfortunately, most of the hotels in Zurich and in Switzerland do not offer internet free of charge. Our hotel offers every guest staying at the hotel 30 minutes free internet to check their emails and to print boarding passes. Afterwards we offer very moderate prices for the internet vouchers which you can purchase at our front-desk, compared to most of the other hotels. At the moment all our Priority Club Platium and Gold members receive free internet. From 1st January on also our Club/Basic members will receive free internet during their stay. I recommend that you enrol and take part in the IHG Loyality System so that next time you can profit from this deal. If you need any assistance with the enrolment, please let me know. There must have been a misunderstanding with the front-office clerk - we apologize once more for this language problem.
Unfortunately we cannot do anything about the size of the rooms since all Holiday Inn Express Hotels have the same size and this is a brand standard.
The Swiss Choclate which you have seen behind the bar is for our "small guests (children)".
I would really appreciate if you could contact me via mail (gm@hiexzurich.ch) or via phone (+41-44-8093400) so that you could give me more information about your stay.
Again we apologize for any inconveniences caused. Thank you for your understanding.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Passing through Zurich and stayed at this hotel. Very well appointed, modern, sleek and clean. Great rooms and there was a free airport shuttle. It's just 5 minutes from the railway station (7fr/person to get to Zurich Central station as opposed to a 60fr taxi ride) and I found it to be a great transit hotel for anyone passing through the airport.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Holiday Inn Exp... Z, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Neil

Thank you for your wonderful review and we are very happy that you enjoyed your stay so much at our Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back soon.

Regards
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Stayed for 1 night, and it was ok. The restaurant had a special "American barbecue" that night; the salad was good, the ribs terrible. The room was modern and well appointed. The bed was not good at all, it was way too soft, which make me think that there is no consistency, as another member of the TripAdvisor family (alskx3), had the opposite problem, namely a too hard mattress. The wifi is free only for half an hour, which lasted exactly 6 minutes for me; I complained, and they gave me a free hour. Personally I hate when hotels nickel and dime you, especially with an important service as the internet access is for most of us. The breakfast was good for a Holiday Inn Express. I will not return, based on the bad quality of the mattress, which make it impossible to have a good night rest.

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. We are always interested how guests feel about our hotel product.
We did not have any complaints yet about our "American BBQ". We will definitely investigate with our local butcher what the reason was for the ribs. We apologize for this incident and we are sure the cook offered you an alternative at the grill.
Our Platium and Gold Priority members receive the internet free of charge. From 1st January 2014 on also our Basic/Club members receive the internet free of charge so I can recommend you to get a member of our guest loyalty system. It will be a pleasure for us to enrol you if you need our assistance. All guests we offer 1/2 hour free internet to check their mails and print their boarding cards. Unfortunately in nearly all hotel in Switzerland and Zurich you still need to pay for the internet - at our hotel you can purchase vouchers for a very moderate price compared to the other hotels.
All our mattresses have been replaced only 4 months ago so you have slept in brand new mattresses. As you see there is not a lot we can do about this comment.

We hope to see you soon back at our hotel and apologize once more for the caused incidents.

Thomas Mettler, GM

Been to Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport? Share your experiences!