“Clean and updated” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Swalwell
Stafford
“Clean and updated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

I chose this as it's been refurbished as some Travelodges are dire. The Dreamer bed which is their new selling point in their advert was excellent. The additional beds are a little hard. The linen was very clean and fresh and comfortable. The staff were really friendly and helpful and the receptionist was so helpful. The number of vans on the car park was concerning as I thought lots of early risers but that didn't really translate to much noise in the morning as I expected. The train or tram? is a bit noisy but don't think it runs in the night.
A hair dyer isn't in the room so I was caught out by that - ask before you wash lol!
Also only one hand towel is given for a group of 4 although you each get a bath towel so ask for extra hand towels before you need them. The metro centre shops are handy for breakfast and evening meal etc.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Workington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

Hotel was very well placed for the Metro center, very friendly welcome, room was big enough for our family of 4 for an overnight stay. Very clean with whiter than white bedding, kids beds were a little hard but adequate for smaller, lighter children.
Room had tea/coffee making facilities and a small lcd tv with plenty of channels
Bathroom was fine, also very clean, with an over bath shower and plenty of white bath towels.
Plenty of car parking too with a very nice view over the Tyne and the hotel itself was very quiet, no door banging etc

Only negatives, would have been better with a lesser Tog quilt, 10.5 was a little too warm for late July although they do offer you a fan, a bit noisy first thing too with lots of contractor vans beeping on reverse at 6am and its very close to the train line but these don't happen through night :)
Overall for a night or two its very good value and sited perfectly for the metro with several decent themed restaurants within 100m of the front door, also the Skiff Inn is VERY nice for an evening meal, again less than 100m away

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

It's clean, the kids had separate beds. Check in was very quick. Concerns were raised by the amount of work vans parked in the car park , but they are obviously contractors working nearby. Didn't hear any noise for other rooms but it's near some train tracks which we did hear 2-3 times during the night. It was too hot to sleep with the windows shut. It's near a tgi Fridays and you can smell the KFC from across the road. I would not stay at a Friday or Saturday I would expect stag and hen parties would stay here due to the cheap prices.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Hotel is very clean and staff are very friendly, always stay here when I am visiting Newcastle and surrounding areas as it has great transport links. Great that it has a KFC next door as there is no onsite restaurant.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Hertfordshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We will certainly not be staying at this hotel again.We stayed for 2 nights for a shopping trip, The room was very diappointing, the toilet rim around the bowl was disgusting, the duvet beneath the duvet cover had a number of stains on it !!
We asked politely at reception about the duvet and the cleanliness of the room and we were told that the room would be cleaned and the duvet changed whilst we were out for the day. On our late returning from shopping and eating out nothing had been done, we purposely left the toilet seat up to see if it had been touched. It wasn't. We were so tired we just could not be bothered and just looked forward to getting out in the morning.

Room Tip: Do not book this hotel...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Stayed here last weekend with my partner while we were visiting Newcastle for the weekend. Upon arrival we had a particularly rude taxi driver who moaned at us for not having the correct change as he didn't have any on him (what type of taxi driver doesn't have change). I asked the girl on reception if I could get some change and she gave it to me. Had to pay £10 to check in to a different room as our one wasn't ready but it was about 13.00 so still quite early for checking in which didn't bother me. We had a standard double room which was very clean and well presented. Only one set of towels in the room so had to ask for extra ones. Over the 3 days we were there we had no real issues with the hotel, our room was cleaned well everyday so no complaints about the cleanliness. Hotel is about a ten minute walk from the Metro centre or you can get a bus from just across the road. It is also situated next to two restaurants, Frankie & Bennies and TGI Friday's. It also has a drive thru KFC next to it as well which I had the pleasure of listening to someone unload a delivery for them at 06.00 in the morning.

The only problems I had with the hotel was that I booked to have a weeks worth of wifi whilst staying and I never got it. On the first day I asked the girl on reception how I could get it as I had paid an extra £12 for the wifi package. She told me that I had a code in my confirmation email and that would allow me to access wifi. I tried all codes that were in the email but none of then worked so I was really annoyed at the fact I had paid £12 for absolutely nothing. The other issue was that on the Saturday night there was a large group staying in the rooms next to us and they came back at about five in the morning shouting and screaming which was extremely annoying. Not really the hotels fault but it's just to make people aware.

Overall I feel that the recent refurbishment that travelodge has received across their estate has benefited them as the newly refurbished rooms look brilliant and just what you want for the money you pay. Would stay here again if I do come back to Gateshead one day.

Stayed July 2014
Cumbria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Booked this as a cheap one night stay for our family as I was taking daughters to see Little Mix and didn't fancy the two hour drive home. It was only as it got closer to the date that I thought to have a little look at the reviews which I believe would be accurate at the time they were written. When we arrived there was already a coach load (I hoped pensioners but alas..) of girls on a hen party, there were other hen parties too and there was definitely one stag party. As we were walking to our room all we could hear were the sounds of 'cackling' as husband call it, screaming, music and the hum of hairdryers. I really hoped this wasn't a sign of things to come, especially as husband wasn't coming to see Little Mix and was staying at the travel lodge for the evening. Once in the room, some members of the stag party were outside having a smoke and thought they would flirt with the hen parties, but instead of the usual chatting to them side by side, they thought they would stand a better chance if they shouted from outside and held a full blown conversation with the girls (heads hanging out of the window) on our third floor, hence our children learnt all sorts of new words that aren't necessarily in the dictionary. I was pleased we were about to go back out but I dreaded the evening husband (who wasn't in a particularly happy mood) was going to have and the nights sleep we may not achieve. However... the travel lodge is clean and well situated for Gateshead and Newcastle and there are a couple of chain eateries extremely close by so you don't necessarily need to venture far if you don't want to. We ate at TGI Fridays which I will also review.

We returned from the concert at around 10.30pm. Husband had had to seek refuge in the nearby pub (which I don't think he necessarily minded) as there was a lot of noise on our floor which obviously stopped once the girls had gone out. I will give them their due however, when they returned (which I assume they did / hope) they were quiet. I am a light sleeper and heard a little whispering which is acceptable. I was so pleased they didn't wake the remainder of the family otherwise it may have been a different story.

If you are planning to stay at the travel lodge over a Friday or Saturday night you really are taking a 50/50 chance on whether there are groups of youngsters out to have a good time. There is no point asking the Travellodge for a quiet room, it doesn't work. They don't seem to think of giving a designated floor(s) separating the families from the parties which they should try to work out. We were quite lucky I think.

Room Tip: Don't stay on a Friday or Saturday if you want definite peace.
Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Been to Travelodge Gateshead? Share your experiences!