“Long wait for great food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Sydney, Australia
“Long wait for great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Man, the food is good here... When you finally get it. Waited 40 mins for our breakfast and one of the meals was wrong. Devo! We were given a complimentary banana bread for our troubles and reluctantly ate every last, delicious bit of it. My advice: don't go if you're so hungry you could eat your own arm. You'll probably start a fight with your boyfriend and have to apologise when you've finally got food in your stomach.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Sydney, Australia
“Weirdness, in a good way..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I've heard good things about this cafe so was happy when a friend was having a farewell here for breakfast. The location is most odd and space is small but length extends far back. Our group was seated at the rear (seating of 11) and the design replicated that of an old home's library with Britannica books on shelves that gave off an old mahogany feeling - as if you required a cigar while seated on a leather arm chair while listening to music..
Out of the 11 orders, 9 were of the "famous" french toast and it certainly lived up to the look of "French" but fell slightly short of the "French" taste. It was good and also quite pricey considering you only get one light but decent sized slice (I expected at least 2 toasts).
The service was good and the manager/owner was very knowledgeable of the items they sold which is great.
The combination of atmosphere, service and reasonably good food makes this place worthy of a visit.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Service was disappointing from manager/owner”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Food was okay besides the attitude of the manager/owner. Seemed abrupt and cold. Made the whole experience none the less appealing.

Sydney, Australia
“Closer to 3.5 out of 5 than 4 out of 5”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

When reviewing a place, we all have different parameters and weightings on different elements that are important to us. For me, this makes Circa a difficult place to review. Circa is very heavily hyped, and so, I came in with high expectations. I arrived after what I would have considered to be after the lunch rush, at nearly 2pm. There is no noticeable signage outside, so you have to look for the mural of the coffee cup to find the place.
Despite being after a lunch rush, and dining alone, I still couldn't get a table (despite seeing a few empty chairs that could have been arranged) and the waitress seemed inconvenienced and flustered. I advised her I was happy to wait and see if something became available. After a few minutes a table became available outside. I wanted to order the first coffee on the menu which appeared to be most unique compared to what could be obtained at other cafes but was told (rather coldly) by the waitress that this was not available (which is pretty disappointing for a specialty coffee place).
I elected for an ice tea, which for $5 came in a very, very small glass. I debated whether or not it was even worth staying for food at this point but elected to go with the steak sandwich, and I must say I am glad I did! It was, without parallel and the best steak sandwich I had ever eaten. At $15, it is all it's money, but I did not feel ripped off, amazing fresh ingredients and innovative flavour combination, it was a truly amazing lunch. I wish I could have enjoyed it in a cozy indoor nook, with friendly service - if I had it would have been 5 out of 5 all round. Eating at the tables on the pavement outside felt like I was very exposed and in the way of people walking by - it killed any ambience the place may have had inside.
I think for some people, I can see why Circa would be a 5 out of 5, the food is worth it, but if you take into consideration the service, the most unique coffee being unavailable, the uncomfortable seating arrangements outside which completely destroy any ambience, my Circa experience as a whole has to be marked down considerably. As great as the food is, I wouldn't go back there unless perhaps to get a take away coffee (if they had it) because the service and ambience just aren't up there with the amazing quality of the food.

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Good but not as good as it used to be!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

New to Sydney, I visited this place early in 2014. I'd been there once before in July 2013 and had the best breakfast imaginable!
In Feb this year it was still excellent. I visited again in April, and ordered the same dish (smashed avo etc) and although it was still tasty, it had changed (the wait staff had told me it had changed a bit) and was just not the sane delicious plate! Unfortunately the serve was smaller and the amazing thick sliced dark bread had been replaced with a thin, airy slice of regular bread and the wonderful zucchini ribbon salad had gone. I was so disappointed. Similar changes were observed with my friend's meal also.It was still well presented and tasty, but not out of this world like my previous visits and not as good value. I'll return because it's a great place, but it's a pity that the food doesn't seem to be what it once was.

• Visited April 2014