“Great food, fantastic place” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Inn   |   A40 Ross Road, Longhope GL170LP, England   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Longhope B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
“Great food, fantastic place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We were lucky enough to win a night's dinner b&b as a competition prize and really couldn't have been better looked after by Phil and his lovely team. We decided that we had to have the pies for dinner: I had the gourmet Steak and Guinness with Mature Blue Cheese and my husband sampled the same pie but with Brie instead of Blue Cheese, alongside a delicious plate of new potataoes and vegetables. Was the nicest pie I have ever eaten but so filling! Others in the restaurant were sampling desserts but we couldn't even contemplate eating anything else! Breakfast the next morning was really delicious too and you really could appreciate the quality of the locally sourced ingredients, including bacon, sausage, black pudding and free range eggs, which I had scrambled and I have to say again, were the most wonderful scrambled eggs I have ever eaten! Room was really good, too; tastefully decorated and relaxing with Sky TV and a great shower. Enjoyed so much we would happily pay to go back and are planning to do so before too long, as we would love to take in some more of the lovely scenery in the area and perhaps tackle some walks to alleviate the affect of all that great food!
The passion for the business which Phil clearly has is obvious to see and his staff all seem to share the same ethos, nothing is too much trouble for them and they are often one step ahead of your needs in ensuring that you enjoy a fantastic stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
blue3692, Owner at The Farmers Boy Inn, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
Thank you for your kind words and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay at the Farmers Boy Inn. Tell all your friends about us and we look forward to seeing you all soon in the near future.
As seen on C4's Four in a Bed TV Show.....

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

The staff really make this pub/restaurant/hotel. From the minute we walked through the doors, we were greeted by friendly, smiling, professional people, who made it clear they were there to help. Food is proper, good, hearty, locally produced restaurant quality (as opposed to pub grub) cuisine, and I'll say it again, the staff were brilliant! They know about the meals and the portion sizes, which was helpful as I hadnt't really eaten many pies before, but thought I'd better give one a go seeing I was in 'pie heave' accoring to my husband!
The room was fine, maybe a tad on the over priced side for what it was, but still comfortable, spacious enough, all mod cons etc...
No complaints at all and would definatly recomment a visit - Guniess, Steak and Brie Pie (Puff pasrty) to die for!!!!

high wycombe, bucks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Arrived on a very wet Friday to be warmly greeted by Hannah.
Our room was spotless - bright and airy with a huge kingsize bed which was extremely comfortable.
Had an evening meal in the pubs restaurant. Everything is cooked to order and we didn't have to wait too long. The pies were out of this world - but beware they are really filling!!
My partner and I were certainly full in fact I couldn't eat all mine :)
Breakfast was again made to order and I can honestly say it's one of the nicest breakfasts I've had - certainly get us both going all day.
Would recommend this to my friends.
Hannah I can only say you're amazing - how you keep track of anyone's orders is beyond me. Your service and efficiency unforuntaley isn't seen very often - well done.

Yeovil, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Sadly, we had to be in Huntley, near Gloucester, for a funeral so we decided to head up the night before and stay nearby. The first accommodation that popped up on our search was the Farmers Boy Inn and we're glad it did. Friendly, welcoming, relaxed - like being in our own local. All staff were exceptionally helpful and professional and very hard working, thereby maintaining a high standard in service and product.

The only reason we rated it 'Very Good' as opposed to 'Excellent' is that at £89.95 for a double B&B room for one night, we didn't feel the room was quite worth it. Although there was nothing actually wrong with it at all and perhaps we should compare more locally - we both felt that around £75 - 80 would have been more appropriate. We had no complaints with the room, just minor observations which we wrote on their comments card. It was spacious, quiet enough, modern and did the job.

The food in the pub was hearty, home-cooked and wholesome (big pies!), although I (Trailer) wasn't overkeen on my vegetarian moussaka - it didn't quite fit it's description to be honest! Great brekkie too - local produce. There's a lovely deli shop alongside, where you can choose the wine to accompany your meal - but there is an additional surcharge of £6 for having it in the restaurant - not quite sure why so much - but we did it nonetheless.

The owners Phil and Manda were very friendly. Hannah, the General Manager was just brilliant. Hope I got all the names right! We'd definitely stay there again - and probably will, even though we thought £89.95 was just over what we'd expect to pay - but it was convenient and relaxed. Thank you!

Room Tip: They're all the same. They're a new addition to the pub and although the pub is on a main r...
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Every hotel, pub, restaurant, guest house etc etc should visit The Farmers Boy Inn to see how its done. From the moment we walked through the door we were made to feel very welcome by all the staff and nothing seemed too much trouble. The food was exceptional and the included breakfast was again outstanding. You can understand why it wins awards. Truly can't think of any more superlatives, but can't wait for our next visit. The 180 mile drive to it was well worth it.

, Owner at The Farmers Boy Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Thank you for your review. Your custom & satisfaction are the key to our success.
Tank you for your kind words, it was a pleasure to meet you and your family and i am very pleased you had such a great stay with us!
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a three day stay at the Farmer's Boy. From the moment we
arrived we were made to feel extremely welcome by the friendly and hard working staff.
We ate in the restaurant on each of three nights. The service was prompt and efficient. The food was well presented, freshly prepared and piping hot. Meal sizes were more than generous.
The much advertised pies are 'to die for'

Our sincere thanks to Phil and his staff - we look forward to returning.

Room Tip: All the rooms are similar -adequate size and well fitted out. Most comfortable
, Owner at The Farmers Boy Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
I'm glad you had such a great stay with us, we like to have a home from home atmosphere so i'm pleased myself and my staff gave you that!
Brackley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

Booked this lovely pub as a surprise weekend away for my husband. Thankfully he really did enjoy the surprise, almost as much as the Steak and Guinness pie with Irish Mussels - what a treat. Very good food but even better staff. Hannah is a star who seems to work forever but always with a smile. And Phil is a gent ... especially when he bought my husband a pint of Guinness for his birthday - who could ask for better than that.

Bernadette Hart

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at The Farmers Boy Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
I'm glad you both had such a great time with us, it was a pleasure to meet you both! The Rugby win must have topped the weekend off for you!
Phil Kiernan Proprietor & Team Phil

Been to The Farmers Boy Inn? Share your experiences!