“Great break” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hatton Court Hotel

You added Hatton Court Hotel to your Saves list
Hatton Court Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Upton Hill, Upton St Leonards, Gloucester GL4 8DE, England   |
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Great break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Lovely hotel, staff attentive if a little hard to find at times. Room lovely but ready for tracking the Himalayas now following the hike, not sure how it would fit with DDA! Sitting area was comfortable but could have used a bit of TLC.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Worcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

When we arrived the first impressions of the hotel were good. Reception were pleasant and allocated two excellent rooms which whilst reached by a number of steep steps were clean well maintained and quite spacious.
We regularly frequent this kind of hotel and like to dine in.We had booked DBB and this turned out to be our down fall.
The Tara restaurant was nice enough but the service was poor, the menu limited and the staff didnot seem to understand there own menu. Portion size small and not good value. The female restaurant manager we found to be particularly unhelpful, patronising, and disorganised three prime reasons in our opinion for the restaurants poor performance.
Breakfast in the morning was good and overall we found the hotel acceptable.
Shame it could have delivered so much more and become a family favourite.
Our advice go bed and breakfast and you should enjoy.

Room Tip: Rooms in the new block are well equiped
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I booked this hotel for Business as I was passing through en route to Reading - therefore I suspect my list of needs are different to those staying for Leisure.

I booked the hotel on a discount site within a few days of travelling. I needed to be close to the M5 motorway as I had an early start the following morning. After weighing up my options and running them through TA - I settled on the Hatton Court.

The reviews were a touch mixed, but for me as long as the place is clean and the bed comfy Im happy.

Well, after getting a touch lost - we rolled along the sweeping driveway of the hotel which revealed a stone country house with a small deck area complete with loungers and outdoor seating perched on a hill side over looking Gloucester.

I was starting to get excited!

Check in was quick enough and I was given a room in a wing off the main building. 1st floor, no lift so beware if your not great at carrying lugguage up stairs.

I was allocated a room at the end of the corridor - countryside view out the window, deep 80's sunken bath, and a large room in modern neutral decor. Had a sound nights sleep, comfy bed and no disturbance.

I booked their dinner bed and breakfast rate which is worthwhile. A note about the food - its quite upscale so if you are someone who is fussy or likes simple dishes this might not be for you. People in the Bar were ordering burgers - in the restaurant, myself and my colleague had:

Starters

Ham Hock & Duck Terrine
Tomato Soup

Main

Chicken, Mustard Mash and some delish butternut squash compote
Salmon on seafood risotto

Puds

Banana Asiette (banana cake, caramel, ice cream)
Chocolate Marquise (thick slice of deep choc terrine)

Was delicious. Service in the restaurants was terrific too.

Will definately stay again and even debating having a holiday there too!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

The room was excellent and well equipped. We had jacuzzi bath, bath robes. Furnishings were excellent. The restaurant was expensive, so opted for bar meal. The choice was very limited, so ate out the rest of the week. This hotel is not really in a great location if you want to explore the Cotswolds.

• Stayed February 2013
Tamworth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

All in all a nice weekend away in the Cotswolds. The hotel has minor niggles as mentioned in previous reviews , but I'm sure we can all fault most places we stay/go. I was happy enough with the staff , they were all as helpful as they possible could be. There was a wedding on in the marquee in the garden but like most hotels on a weekend this is something you have to accept that 2 more idiots have fallen for the biggest rip off in the world..marriage ;)
Lovely grounds and area , would visit again.

Tamworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I was after a weekend away as an anniversary/Birthday treat so wanted somewhere in a beautiful location, with a Jacuzzi in the room, something we'd often spoke about being a nice little extra. I chose Hatton Court, sold on the prospect of the fine dining that was detailed on their website, as well as the impressive picture of what seemed to be the suite I was interested in. I plumped for the best they offered, a junior suite with four poster, balcony & all important Jacuzzi bath.

On arrival I was very impressed with the hotel, it looked beautiful & was close enough to the local village for 'supplies'. Staff were very friendly & helpful and the decor of the hotel seemed in-keeping with the buildings age. Our junior suite, door number 7, was of ample size with an impressive four poster & huge balcony. It came equipped with iron/board, hair dryer, trouser press, kettle/tea & coffee making facilities & all the toiletries & towels one would expect. There was a mini bar, we could not find a price list for this, we know how the system works with mini-bars obviously, but not finding a statement in the room book or a price list left us slightly tempted to test whether this meant it was free! ;) I was slightly disappointed with the Jacuzzi bath, I was expecting something somewhat grander or newer, it was merely a slightly larger tub with jets in it that was starting to get a bit 'frayed rond the edges'. The room itself was again, in-keeping with the age of the hotel, but I felt it needed a re-fresh; touch of paint, new lampshades & curtains etc.

The room had excellent views & yes, the wedding marque was right below our suite which could be a negative point to others, but we are not perturbed by loud music due to our careers, & so gladly had our windows open on the Saturday night, the reason being the heat in the room, now this is more of a negative for us than noise you see. There was no air-conditioning, that's acceptable due to the age of the property, but we would have expected a ceiling fan or at least stand alone one, so we let in the noise of the wedding & close by motorway in favour of some fresh air on a barmy summers night.

We did experience a problem with the Jacuzzi on our first night, it seemed to be broken, & had two members of staff up to our suite to try & fix it to no avail. I was offered a bottle of wine as compensation but felt this was not enough as I had booked & travelled quite far on the bases of this facility. We were instead offered a room swap, albeit a down grade, so that we could have access to a working tub, swap planned for in the morning. Fortunately a member from house keeping was sent up in the morning who found the problem & remedied it so that we did not have to move rooms, we had however lost one night but we accepted their original offer of a bottle of wine with diner.

The food, which I have covered in a separate review for The Tara Restaurant, was excellent. Breakfast was comprehensive in options & staff, although a little slow, were very friendly & helpful. I would advise getting your drinks from the bar yourself before being seated in the restaurant as you may be waiting a while as we were, only to be told that the drink I'd asked for was not something they stocked. A minor niggle really in an over-all wonderful introduction to fine dining.

In conclusion, this was a delightful hotel, with delicious food & attentive staff, it just needs a little touch up around the edges in what is billed as their top of the line room.

Matlock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Pros: Receptionist lovely, room very nice and clean, building very pleasant and location useful for the Cotswolds.

Cons: Large wedding taking place was very loud beneath room (receptionist moved us immediately to a better room), breakfast was a bit of a shambles (service fairly poor), very audible speedway track near the hotel (although only making noise during the day, and not very audible in the hotel itself).

Overall, I'd go back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hatton Court Hotel? Share your experiences!