“Bodkin house, worth the drive.” 4 of 5 stars

Bodkin House Hotel
Petty France Farm, Badminton GL9 1AF, England   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Badminton B&B and Inns
Bath, United Kingdom
“Bodkin house, worth the drive.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Sunday lunch for my wife and I and my aged mother in law, Easy parking, warm reception, as well as a bar there is a comfortable seating area separate but open to the main dining area, ideal and friendly for pre-dinner drinks. Husband and wife team with one young competent waitress. Service quietly efficient.
Roast beef meal, requested rare and we actually got what was requested. Food well presented and just the right amount. Good value will go again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I recently attended a Mother's Day lunch at the Bodkin House Hotel, which was excellent - considering the numbers that were being catered for!
Therefore, when asked by friends (who live nearby) to choose a venue to meet up for a meal I did not hesitate in booking the Bodkin House.
We arrived , had a pre-dinner drink - warming ourselves in front of the open fire in the bar.
We were shown into the dining room - encouraged to sit in the settees to choose our dinner selection...and have another drink. We were in no hurry.
When the first course was ready we were shown to our table...
The three course dinner was wonderful...
My wife thought it was the best duck she had had in a very long time...
The choice of wine was very wide.
We had the table for the night - with no attempt to move us on to the lounge or bar.
This was my second visit to Bodkin House - it won't be my last!
Recommended
Although - not a cheap night out - I think we had value for money!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Buckingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed here for one night as we had an event to attend in Tetbury the following day. There were so many instances of poor customer service that we were very surprised to see such good reviews on tripadvisor.
On arrival we were shown to our room by the hotelier saying 'you shouldn't really get this room on your rate'. As we entered the room, there were a pair of specs on the floor and the tv was blaring. We were told that a member of staff had been watching the tv in there. We asked if we could have a taxi to Tetbury; the first member of staff didn't know how far it was or have any taxi numbers, the second reluctantly scribbled down a couple of numbers on a crumpled bill from a previous customer (with their details). The bed was the squeakiest ever, when we mentioned this to the hotelier the next morning, he said that another couple had mentioned it two days ago but he thought it was in their heads! Maybe the food is great and makes up for this but our entire experience was poor. I've never written a negative review on trip advisor but just couldn't let this one go!

Room Tip: We were in the JK Rowling room. Definitely ask for a room change, unless you have great ear plugs to...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Wonderful location in charming village of petty France. Proprietors Don and Eileen Falkener are very welcoming in every way. The restaurant is a delightfully charming cottage style with a varied selection of cuisine, the bar is the heart of the hotel with an amazing open fire in winter, which in its own way is welcoming. Homely traditional fayre to a la carte for the more discerning tastes is available. Most produce where possible is supplied from local source. Accommodation is tastefully decorated with a warm feel. All in all a very delightful place which is good value for money.

Room Tip: Family room is best.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We had driven through heavy rain and stopped for lunch. Stepping through the door into the warm and dry, the open fire making a very pleasant atmosphere. We chose from the bar menu and my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our meals. We didn't need much tempting to go for dessert but we thought the cost of my wife's choice was a bit steep.
The barman was friendly and attentive.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Cardiff
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

Great halfway point for two friends from England and Wales to meet up. Right on the A46 and 5 mins off the M4 so really convenient. Plenty of parking space but no easy access that we could find with a pram so we had to carry it up the steps. We had a friendly greeting and excellent service. The food was amazing and despite being the only customers (it was the middle of the afternoon) there was still a nice atmosphere. Real fire and nice artwork. I hope this place is busy at the weekends because it's a place everyone should know about. Would definitely come again.

• Stayed March 2013
West Country
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I used the hotel on two consecutive nights as a stop-over between the far south west and London.

The hotel is very conveniently sited near to the A4 and is surrounded by very pleasant countryside. It would be fair to say that it exceeded my expectations.

I had a very pleasant room with a good en-suite shower room. The fittings in the latter were of a higher standard than found in many more expenseive hotels and the towels were of excellent quality.

The dinner menu was limited (I regard this as a good thing) but on the two evenings I ate there the quality of the food and the presentation was first class. The choice of wine,(a number by the glass) was good. The breakfast menu was quite comprehensive and cooked to order (like the dinner). It was a perfect start to days involving long driving.

All in all, I found the hotel welcoming and warm. I would not hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: I stayed in the George Elliott room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Bodkin House Hotel? Share your experiences!