“Would stay again” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ragged Cot Inn

and 1 more site!
You added The Ragged Cot Inn to your Saves list
The Ragged Cot Inn
4.0 of 5 Inn   |   Cirencester Road, Minchinhampton, Stroud GL6 8PE, England   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Would stay again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed at The Ragged Cot for one night by myself, I chose this as I had an early meeting locally the following day.
Room was clean and tidy although a bit crammed, Wi-Fi worked very well but I would have prefered a larger desk space to work from
Dinner was very good, I had a mixed meat / breads starter and fish and chips with mushy peas as a main meal, (peas a bit too mushy for my liking). I would have prefered to have eaten off a traditional plate rather than a piece of slate which was not really big enough for the meal.
Cask Beers where excellent which perhaps helped a good nights sleep
Traditional English Breakfast was superb
Generally Restaurant and Hotel service was good, all staff were very friendly, don't be put off by recent very negative reviews
Would definitely stay again

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Stroud, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Four of us went here for a NYE lunch, the service was fantastic, the food great, and the beer good.

I had the deli sandwich with triple fried chips which was great value at £7.50, something a lot of other pubs should take note of! Others had the burger, sausage and mash, and the fish with mash, all of which were great.

Lots of gastropubs in the Stroud Valleys like to over charge for food that really isn't that great (Food Club etc), whereas the Ragged Cot seem to have the perfect blend of quality, service, surroundings, and value.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Stroud, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

What a great experience ! This was a first time out for Christmas lunch for me and my family. The choice on the menu was varied and well thought out. There was a choice for all tastes. We were very warmly welcomed and the service was excellent. The staff were very busy but nothing was too much trouble for them. Each course was nicely spaced out and the whole meal was very enjoyable. We left extremely replete and happy !!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

This is my first Trip Advisor review despite having been a regular TA user for the past few years. My wife and I have had mixed experiences at a number of places we've found through Trip Advsior, mostly good and some bad, but we've never been compelled to write a review on anywhere until we stayed at the Ragged Cot last week.

I'm from Stroud originally and have been to the Ragged Cot many times before as a child but not since its makeover. It has always been a pleasant place, so when my wide suggested we stay there for two nights whilst down visiting family for Xmas I was very excited.

We arrived and were shown to our room (room 4) which was lovely - beautifully decorated, clean and modern, everything we hoped it would be. We stayed for about an hour whilst we got ready for the evening and left about 7.30pm. We did not return until gone midnight at which point the bar was just closing up. We went to our room and settled down for the night and we both noticed a very audible noise that sounded like a generator or extractor fan. At this point it is important to stress that I am NOT a light sleeper and we live in a city where we have regular noises throughout the night that do not wake me up. However, this noise was loud enough to keep both my wife and I awake. This was coupled with an intermittent loud dripping noise that I assumed had something to do with the heating system.

We tried to isolate the cause of the noise to no avail, and after half an hour of trying to sleep I went off to try and find a member of staff to see if they could help, or move us to another quieter room. The generator noise was audible from the corridor. Unfortunately, the main bar and restaurant was shut and there was no one around. The only number to ring was an emergency number and whilst it was a pretty big inconvenience, I could not class it as an emergency. So we endured the noise which kept up relentlessly all night, with my wife and I probably managing a grand total of 2 hours sleep.

In the morning we went for breakfast (which was lovely - credit where credit is due) and I explained our problem to the girl who was running the kitchen/desk. She was apologetic, saying it could be down to the kitchens that were nearby and said she would need to speak to her manager. After we finished breakfast I spoke to the girl again to see if there was a solution and she agreed to show us 2 other rooms that were available, both of which were on the second floor of the room block (our room was on the ground floor).

Unfortunately, 'the noise' could be clearly heard from the first room, but the second was better (room 10), however we were informed later that this room was undergoing maintenance in the bathroom so we couldn't have it. We were then offered the use of the master suite (room 6) which was on the other side of the room block. In this room, the noise was almost completely inaudible so I said it would be fine. The girl said that we could stay here for no extra charge (normally this was more expensive at it was larger).

We moved our luggage up to the new room, at which point we were so tired that all we wanted to do was have an extra hours kip before we set off for the day. However, room 6 is right on the main road, and I mean RIGHT on the main road. At 11.00am there is a regular stream of traffic that shoots past the window and it is VERY loud. I would defy anyone to find it relaxing in anyway and was certainly not going to allow us to get that much needed sleep.

Having already been shown the other room options available and by now totally hacked off through sleep deprivation, we decided to cut our losses and find somewhere else to stay. We packed up and went to reception to say about the new noise problem and to say that we were leaving. The bar manager was there at this point along with the girl we had been dealing with earlier. They said they would cancel the next nights booking and said sorry. At this point I said to the manager that we were not happy about paying full rate for the previous night because the noise problems completely ruined our stay. I am not a complainer, but I am certainly not a walk over and I do not think it is unreasonable to ask for a discount because being able to offer a quiet and peaceful nights accommodation is surely one of the prerequisites of charging people to stay in your lodgings? The manager said the deposit we had paid was held by a third party and there was nothing he could do for us and that we would have to speak to the owner. He gave me his card but I asked for him to get the owner to phone me to discuss the matter.

We then left an needed up staying at the Premier Inn in Stroud, in a rather bleak room, but at least it was quiet!

The next day we had a call from a manager (Sam) who had been asked by the owner to give us a call. I explained the issue to Sam who listened and said that we would not be charged for te second night despite being outside of the 48hour cancellation policy. You can imagine I was a little suspended by this, as there was no way we would have been paying for a second sleepless night and thy actually, the reason I requested a call was because we were unhappy about paying full rate for the one night we did stay.

At this point Sam basically switched on 'deflect mode' saying he had been to investigate 'the noise' and could not find the noise we were referring to. He said there were no generators on site, that the heating system used a technology that doesn't drip and that he regularly stayed in the rooms within the hotel and had never noticed any noise problems. He alao sad that none had cer complained about the noise at he hotel. Basically, he was quite onviously inferring that we were making the noise up.

I was absolutely appalled at this suggestion. I run my own business and I pride myself on my integrity and would never try to con someone by making up an elaborate hoax about a mysterious, non-existant noise for the sake of a few quid off a poxy bed and breakfast room - I have a bit more self respect thank you very much.

When I pointed this out Sam, and explained to him that the girl we had been dealing with in the morning had also heard the noise, his response was that the girl did not know much about the running of the hotel. When I then asked him if he thought the 3 of us were having some sort of group hallucination the day before, he shrugged it off and basically made me feel like a complete time waster. He said there was nothing he could do about the price already paid and that was that. No apology. The end.

I have dealt with some pretty horrendous companies in my time, but I've never been accused of lying, which is basically what The Ragged Cot management have done. I would have understood if they had said no refunds are given if they had been in anyway sympathetic about it and made me feel like a valued customer. Yes, if it was my business i would have thought that some kind of discount (however small) would at least be an acknowledgement that this customer had had a pretty miserable experience on my watch and I'd want to try and make some amends. However, that's only my old fashioned view and it is clearly evident that customers are just numbers to the management at this place and once they have your money, you can go and take a running jump.

My only hope is that somebody else reads this and saves themselves the same appalling treatment.

Stay away.

• Stayed December 2012
Bedfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We visited with a group of friends. The staff were very friendly and the rooms were well appointed. The pub had a lovely feel about it and had a good choice of wine. The only negative point, was that they tried to clean the stone slabs with ammonia, which should have been done during the morning instead of the evening when we were about to eat as the smell engulfed the place. Obviously this was a one off, so i would recommend and would go back. Also has wifi in the bar area, which was handy.

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely, there is a side door as well to the rooms, to save you going through the b...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Colchester, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Lovely place for an overnight stay. Staff very friendly and the accommodation is clean and well thought out. Food is excellent and the breakfast was enormous! Only minor complain was that the room was very hot - it wouldn't normally be an issue but the outside temperature was higher than usual!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Calne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We had booked a nights stay at The Ragged Cot Inn for our wedding anniversary. From the website the place looked very contemporary yet rustic and we felt we were in for a real treat. We arrived around 5pm and came into the nice welcoming bar area. The young lad at the bar seemed a bit bewildered when we said we had a room booked for the night and we were pointed through past the bar and I assume the manager booked us in. He didn't seem overly at ease with speaking to people.
He showed us to our room - we stayed in 'Night Flight' - room 5. The room seemed nice and he proceeded to check the lights, including the bedside lamps which it transpired one of the bulbs had gone. He apologised and said he would replace it. We waited around a little while thinking he would be straight back with one, but he never came back. We had a look around the room and noticed that the desk lamp bulb had also gone. Around the window (which looked out onto the back of the kitchen so we had a view of a white van and some gravel) there were several cracks which had been filled but not painted and there was a large gap over the top of the window which had been filled with some polystyrene and not filled over and painted. The bathroom was nice but a little cramped. The heated towel rail was coming loose from the wall as was the toilet roll holder. The tap over the lovely belfast sink was a bit large and got in the way a bit when I was brushing my teeth! The tiles were a little grubby and there was a plastic slope thing that had been put into the shower to cover over some very manky tiles, but even the replacement wasn't that great. The ceiling over the shower was mildewy and the light over the shower had paint flaking off around it. The shower itself took a little while to figure out that if you wanted hot water you should turn the dial to the cold setting and vice versa. The shaver point had a rather disconcerting buzz coming from it.
The facilities in the bathroom were fine - a set of White Company toiletries - dispensers attached to the walls - of hand soap, shower gel, shampoo and conditioner. The room was clean and the pillows soft. There was tea and coffee making facilities in the room and a flat screen tv on the wall with built in DVD player.
The hotel doesn't have much sound proofing between the rooms, so you can hear the muted sounds of other guests talking, showering, sneezing... and it is near a road where you can hear traffic noises as cars whizz by.
We decided to have a meal there and were looking around for a menu to see if there was anything we fancied. The older of the two waitresses working that evening brusquely said they hadn't been printed yet. So we decided to have a drink in the bar and see about booking a table just in case. We found the restaurant was fully booked but eventually managed to book a table in the bar. We went off to change and came back for our meal at 7. The gruff waitress took our orders and to my delight the food arrived soon after. We had a lovely smoked chicken salad to start with. I then had a steak and my husband had the burger. The triple cooked chips were lovely and the portion size was pretty huge. We were too stuffed for a pudding. We sat there for a while expecting to ask for the bill to charge to our room but didn't see a soul. So we headed back to our room for a warm night and listening to other guests coming back to their rooms.
In the morning we came into the restuarant for breakfast and were met by the same gruff waitress. The cereals and bread and toast making facilities were all laid out on a lovely table and the yoghurt was lovely and creamy and the bread was really nice. The full english breakfast consists of two rashers of bacon, one gloucester old spot pork sausage, black pudding and fried bread with a choice of egg. I didn't hear anyone ask for the whole shebang, pretty much every other diner asked for it without the black pudding and fried bread. My husband doesn't eat egg so just had bacon and sausage. It may have been nice to offer an extra sausage when only having two things, but that didn't happen.
Breakfast arrived nice and quickly although it was on a huge plate - which seemed a little silly given the small amount we had ordered. Sat at a smallish table for two we didn't have much room on the table and the waitress didn't take our bowls from cereal/yoghurt so we were fighting for space. We were also not offered any sauces like ketchup.
When we went to check out our evening meal wasn't on the bill so I had to ask for it to be added and then had to tell the manager what we had eaten and drank the night before to make sure we paid for everything we had. Good job I was honest otherwise we could well have had a free meal out of them! There was a small table and chairs near the reception desk which looked like it hadn't been cleaned from the night before as there was a pint glass and some crumbs on the table which just looked a bit messy.

For £95 for room and breakfast I feel it was a little overpriced. While I could not fault the food, the service left little to be desired. A smile would have been nice from the waitress. There was a younger waitress working there who was really nice and friendly, the other - who may have been the co-owner - looked a bit like she really wished she didn't have to be serving people. The manager just may need to be a little more confident about speaking to people.
The room itself was nice but just needed to be made a bit more fit to have paying guests in. Having co-run a guest house with my parents, I wouldn't let out a room that needed work doing on it like painting or replacing manky tiles, or would at least offer a room at a reduced rate if it wasn't up to standard. Things like remembering saying you will replace a broken bulb and just smiling at the people who are spending money at your establishment goes a long way to making an average stay a lot better.

If I knew that the upkeep of the rooms had been done and the service improved then I would stay again.

At the time of staying the hotel was having some rennovation work done on the outside and there was a sign to apologise for any disruption - we didn't notice any from that work.

Could have been excellent - but perhaps they were just having a bad day...?

I will be contacting them directly about our stay. Who knows - might even get a bit of a discount!

Room Tip: Probably good to shout at the time of being taken into your room if you're not happy with it - s...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ragged Cot Inn? Share your experiences!