“Extremely friendly staff in an odd hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sunsuri Phuket

You added Sunsuri Phuket to your Saves list
Sunsuri Phuket
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11/5 Moo 1, Rawai, Muang, Nai Harn, Phuket 83130, Thailand (Formerly U Sunsuri Phuket)   |
Offers & Announcements
Cash Voucher 1000 THB
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Nai Harn
Certificate of Excellence 2014
vienna
“Extremely friendly staff in an odd hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Stayed in this hotel in November 2013.
We were 4 persons and had ordered an airport transfer in a van (printed confirmation), but only a normal car came to pick us up. We squeezed in for the 70min drive - but were only charged the small car instead of the van - so no problem as mistakes can happen.
from taht moment on everything worked out well, but still we are not sure if we will come to this hotel again:
The hotel is bulit on a steep hill with the reception on the bottom of the hill, the restaurant and pool area next, then the building with the main rooms and the more exlusive rooms are even further up the hill. Everything is connected with stairs.
On arrival we were upgraded to a grand deluxe room which was on the very top of the resort. We counted 174 steps in 7 different staircases from the pool to the room. So better do not forget anything in the room!
Whenever you need it the staff is happy to bring you up to the room with an electric car.
Still you will probably be on the stairs at leats once or twice a day.

The Pro´s:
-extremely friendly staff (especially I have to mention the reception staff: a very proactive approach towards the customer combined with traditional asian smiles - wonderful!)
- huge pool area with sufficient sunbeds
- contemporary style of rooms inside and outside
- Nai Harn beach is only five minutes walk away. Nice beach and not crowded.
- Surprisingly no moscitos (even although there is a pind nearby)
- the 24 hrs checkin / checkout policy is really great (if you check in say at 1800hrs your checkout time is 1800 hrs on your last day)

The Con`s:
- the aircondition is extremely noisy (seems awkward as this hotel is very new) and there is no remote control for the aircondition!! So if you want to switch it on or off you have to get up from the bed, walk to the entrance door and switch on / off. This is not contemporary standard!!! (Or does the hotel management not care if the guests have to interrupt their sleep to get up from the bed, walk to the aircondition, switch it on for a few minutes and then turn it off again because it is too noisy anyway??)
- Breakfast is not luxury style (very narrow at egg station, fruit is not presented in a nice way although chilled, only two kinds of juice, both taste cheap and artificial)
- the whole place lacks a bit of athmosphere (like the pool bar that is somehow unpersonal with no music and extremely slow staff.

But again - the staff at reception (all of them) are overwhelmingly friendly so that makes up a little for the lack of atmosphere.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
USP_General_Manager, General Manager at Sunsuri Phuket, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear GerhardFritsch,

Greetings from U Sunsuri Phuket.

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor, I was happy to read that you have enjoyed many aspects of your stay and shared with us some inconsistencies. As a relatively new property on Phuket there is a vast amount of competition in our market segment and we endeavour to give our guests that little something extra during their time with us therefore your comments regarding those aspects of your stay that you enjoyed are truly appreciated.

As regular readers of Trip Advisor know both myself and my team are keen in attending to any issues experienced by our guests so I would like to take this opportunity to respond regarding the areas you mentioned.

We have received a few comments recently concerning the noisy air conditioning in some of our rooms and, even before reading your review, are in the process of attending to this very issue. We intend on resolving this in the very near future.

Your comment regarding the lack of a remote control for the air conditioning has been well noted but if I may be perfectly honest has been the only one mentioning this particular point we have received thus far.

Your comment regarding the breakfast has also been well noted and I am delighted to inform you that since you stayed with us in November we have a new American Executive Chef in place to ensure the U group’s standard of food and beverage is maintained.

I have also spoken to my Director of Food and Beverage over your observations of the pool bar and staff with a view to immediate improvement in the areas you mentioned.

May I end by saying that we would dearly enjoy the pleasure of your company should you have the opportunity to visit Thailand again where you will be assured a very warm U welcome.

Richard Mehr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Hamilton & Waikato Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

We stayed for 4 nights and loved the fact it was only a quick walk to the beach or we had the option of the amazing pool area. The room was beautiful, we really enjoyed the balcony and the ability to hang wet clothing out and that the resort had thought this through was fantastic.

The pool options were brilliant and plenty of people made use of this area during the day.

Unfortunately we had a struggle getting pool towels either to use at the pool or the beach; at around 9.30am-10am we could see the towels from the previous day being collected for washing and so there were none available until around lunch time, which meant we had to go and buy towels. Also the food at breakfast ran out too often and was not replenished quickly enough; on three occasions we entered and found there were very few options and only upon us leaving (around 20 minutes later) were they beginning to replenish. We did mention both of these issues upon checkout so I hope it's been looked into and rectified.

I'm not sure that that these problems would keep us away in the future, as it is a brilliant location and set up that they have. But as a new hotel I feel it's important that they fix these few simple things to be truly exceptional.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
USP_General_Manager, General Manager at Sunsuri Phuket, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Dear islandlover39,

Tropical Greetings from U Sunsuri Phuket.

I would like to offer my heartfelt thanks for the kind words you posted on Trip Advisor regarding your stay, I have noticed your numerous reviews posted on this website and took the liberty to read a few of them. I realize that you are an experienced traveler and stayed in some prestigious hotels and resorts around the world. Your review of our property suddenly took new proportions as I know somehow a benchmark was done between us and other properties.

My team put their best efforts into providing our guests with the true U experience which has led our sister hotels to become multiple award winners and your comments only encourage both them and myself to strive to offer you the warmest welcome we possibly can and the best services we can hope for.

At a U property the emphasis is on providing an unrivalled personal service experience for all our valued guests. A property can offer all the first class amenities and facilities it can but this amounts to nothing if the staff lacks sincerity, heart and a willingness to be of assistance in every way possible.

I wish to reiterate my gratitude for bringing to my attention the towels not being available in the morning around the pool. I investigated this issue together with my Executive Housekeeper and found out that, as you mentioned the towels were not being collected the previous day around the pool. We have rectified this issue now and this should not be a problem anylonger.

I am sorry for the food running out too often on our breakfast buffet, I have spoken to my Executive Chef and his team and this as well, has been rectified and shall not be an issue anymore.

I am extremely thankful that you have brought to my attention these points abovementioned and hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you once more in the future.

We look forward to welcoming you again at U Sunsuri Phuket.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Our stay at U Sunsuri was fantastic, a beautiful room almost on top of the mountain and above all the excellent service from the staff, this service is among the best we have ever experienced.
The staff is efficient, helpful, and it seems they really enjoy pleasing their guests.
The hotel is not on the beach, but it is just a short walk, the hotel will provide (for free) beach towels. The hotel has also three large pools and some comfortable deckchairs.

Tip for the management: make it prohibited to put towels in advance on sunbeds, time after time 90% of the beds were occupied with towels but there were no people!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Eugen D,

Greetings from U Sunsuri Phuket.

I would like to offer my heartfelt thanks for the kind words you posted on Trip Advisor regarding your stay. My team put their best efforts into providing our guests with the true U experience which has led our sister hotels to become multiple award winners and your comments only encourage both them and myself to strive to offer you the warmest welcome we possibly can.

I have noted down your tip and spoke with my F/B pool attendants to be particularly attentive with the towels on unoccupied sunbeds. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

We were delighted that you felt we managed to live up to these aims and we look forward to welcoming you back as soon as possible.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

The property itself is very pretty and the rooms were big and well decorated. However, the food was very average at best. The hotel itself is far from the main areas so if you're looking for good local options (restaurants, or any other type of service), you have to take a cab. Service at the front desk was very good but we encountered two problems during our stay.

1) They offered us in-room breakfast the day we were leaving since our flight out was early, but they failed to bring it on-time. We had to call down to remind them of our breakfast arrangement which they brought eventually, but too late for us to enjoy,and ended up wrapping some pastries in a napkin to take with us. Why offer a service when you can't deliver it on time? Especially something as time-sensitive as breakfast on the day you check-out.

2) The shower has large clay bottles for shampoo and body wash - which the hotel staff refills. I unfortunately dropped one of them in the shower, causing it to break. The charge for that was about 300THB or $10 which I thought was a bit ridiculous. They eventually took that charge off our bill but I truly view that as cost of business. You shouldn't be charging your guests to replace broken shampoo bottles. Perhaps they should consider plastic bottles like most of the other hotels.

All in all property is beautiful but you're isolated, near a small beach. Staff is overall friendly but there were some big mishaps with our stay. I probably wouldn't stay there again due to its remote location, inconsistent service and very average food onsite.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
USP_General_Manager, General Manager at Sunsuri Phuket, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear sj257,

Greetings from U Sunsuri Phuket.

May I thank you for taking the time to post a review of your time at U Sunsuri on Trip Advisor and take this opportunity to wish you and all the Trip Advisor community a very happy New Year.

I must offer my sincerest apologies that certain aspects of your stay led to choose to award us an “average” score and I would like to respond to your valued comments.

I truly regret that your breakfast in your room was not delivered in a timely manner. To be frank we have no excuse for this as it was a result of miscommunication between my staff and action has been taken to ensure that this is a one-off event so as to not inconvenience our future guests.

Your comment regarding the clay dispensers in the bathroom has been well noted and even though this is the first breakage we have experienced I am considering possibly replacing them with non-breakable items and am looking at the alternatives available.

I am sorry that the food was not to your taste and would greatly appreciate it if you could find the time to contact me via gm@usunsuriphuket.com with further details of areas you feel the dishes could improve so I can discuss matters with my Executive Chef.

I further regret that you considered us isolated as we do like to consider ourselves as a relaxing retreat and sanctuary away from the hustle and bustle of the more “touristy” locations on the island which the majority of our guests seem to want to escape and enjoy the tranquility of scenic Nai Harn Beach and the local attractions.

I fully respect your opinion that should you return to Phuket you would seek alternative accommodation but I hope that you would reconsider and do us the pleasure of your company once again where you can see the results of your invaluable comments in action.

Balikpapan, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Resort for honeymooners...best room, design, amenities, amazing pool and warm staffs, 24hr room, breakfast whenever wherever, cool...Ms. Molly was so nice to us...Keep the good work.. Just for advise : breakfast will perfect if more variety for moslem guests...thanks

Dear ErynSulaiman,

Tropical greetings from sunny Phuket.

May I begin by thanking you for writing a review on TipAdvisor sharing your stay at U Sunsuri with other readers.

In a U hotel or resort the one overwhelming factor that defines us is our complete and utter dedication to the service of our guests. Our commitment to each and every guest is such, that we make it a mission to ensure that Your needs are both anticipated and fulfilled as well Your expectations exceeded, through personalized, gracious and friendly service.

I fully appreciate that a holiday is a considerable expense for many people and feel that if we do not offer a stay that lives up to our guests’ expectations we should not be in the hospitality business.

As you and several guests have mentioned in your reviews regarding HALAL food, we have now added to our breakfast buffet some HALAL dishes. Alternatively, since our Chef is around the breakfast buffet every morning, don't hesitate to approach him or any of our team members and share with him/us your dietary requirements.

We hope that on your next visit to Thailand you would do us the honor of staying with us once again.

The entire U team are waiting to welcome you soon again.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

We stayed there during the first week of December. It was a very satisfying experience. Most importantly, the service is among the best we have ever experienced anywhere. The staff is efficient, helpful, and it seems to me, really enjoy pleasing their guests. They are not engaging in forced politeness, as one could find elsewhere. The rooms are very comfortable with the most modern amenities and stunning floor to ceiling views of the pool area and the nearby blue-green Adaman sea. Each room has a large balcony. While the hotel is not on the beach, it is just a short walk to a beautiful beach, with warm water and shallow inclines into the ocean; you can be far out and still stand. At the beach, you can rent large umbrellas and beach recliners for 100 Baht for one recliner including an umbrella. The hotel will provide (for free) large beach towels. My only caution: you are in the tropics, 9 degrees above the Equator. As I unfortunately learned, the sun is very strong and you can get a bad sunburn in an hour; so, bring lots of sun block or stay under the umbrella when you can. Sunsets at the beach (if not overcast) are not to be missed. The hotel has three large, adjoining, ultra modern pools, almost like museum reflecting pools. The hotel can pick you at Phuket airport, which is recommended, since it is at least an hour away from the hotel. The hotel has jitneys and hotel cars (for a fee) to areas around the island. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Get a high room facing the ocean; the views are wonderful
Dear 2011NewYorkTraveler ,

Greetings from the beautiful island of Phuket.

May I begin by saying how much I appreciate our valued guests taking the time to write about their visit to Phuket and U Sunsuri on TripAdvisor. A sincere personal “thank you” for doing this, each and every U Guests comments are shared with our team and posted on our bulletin board, a great reminder to let us that we are on the right track or if the need be, improve our services to ensure each and every guest enjoy a better stay.

At U Sunsuri we follow the brand standard and core value of our parent company in ensuring that our guests experience the best possible example of the world-renowned Thai hospitality and superlative service. Our entire U team was chosen for not only for their own particular skill in the hospitality field but also because they showed a heartfelt dedication in providing U Sunsuri’s visitors with a memorable holiday.

Your extremely kind words go towards showing us that we made the right decision in selecting our staff and I would also like to extend my personal thanks to them for being an absolute pleasure to work with.

Indeed and thank you for making it a point in your review, it is highly recommended that our customers and young customers be aware that the sun is very strong all year round and especially between the period December to April, adequat sun creams (water resistant), UV swimsuits, caps are a MUST in order to enjoy holidays without sunburns.

May I end by saying that it was a delight host you as our valued guest and we hope that you find the time to visit us again in the very near future.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Worst experience ever. Stayed at the resort for 3 nights and had five rooms booked for our group, It was shocking to know that the laundry bags & slippers are chargeable. There was no brief about such charges from the management staff. The icing on the cake was they scanned the bags for just a pair of slippers worth 2.5$. Hospitality at its worst.

• Stayed December 2013
USP_General_Manager, General Manager at Sunsuri Phuket, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Dear Vijay C,

Greetings from U Sunsuri Phuket.

Firstly may I thank you for writing a review of U Sunsuri on Trip Advisor. We endeavour to provide our guests with as enjoyable a stay as possible and after reading your review I would like to offer my deepest regrets at your disappointment. As you awarded us the lowest score possible without actually commenting on the high levels of comfort and service we strive to provide I am sure you appreciate that in the interests of fairness to both my team and the hotel that I respond to what seems to be the crux of your poor review.

I am sorry and surprised that you were “shocked” that the slippers and laundry bags were not freely available for you to take with you when you left our property and are a chargeable items. Admittedly some hotels may allow the guests to take these with them when they check out but the guest will be clearly informed if this is the case, although an equal amount of international properties do not allow this and we are one of them. I am sorry that you were under the assumption that you could do so without checking with us first and I have informed my staff to make the guests aware of this if there are any queries from our future patrons.

It is a similar situation with the flip flops that you also chose to take with you upon leaving the property which unfortunately for some reason you elected not to mention this in your review.

As the items you removed are not disposable but of a superior quality the slippers and flip flops are hygienically cleaned ready for the next guest’s use as are the cloth laundry bags. Upon checking your room the room attendant discovered that these items were missing and followed hotel procedures in informing the front desk. In these circumstances we then ask the guest if they have removed anything from their room to ensure that there are no misunderstandings.

If I may politely correct you on one point in that there is a tent card, written in English, on top of the safety box clearly informing the guest that they are welcome to purchase any amenities in the room from the Front Desk should they wish to do so.

As we are dedicated to the complete satisfaction of our guests if there were any further issues that you chose not to mention during your time with us or in this review given the “terrible” score you awarded us and the review title “Hospitality at its worst” if you could kindly find the time to contact me with the details I would greatly appreciate it.

I am sorry that your experience at U Sunsuri did not match the experience enjoyed by the vast majority of our guests, as we have learned from personal feedback and this website, and when you visit Phuket again I sincerely hope that you find accommodation that allows customers to take slippers and laundry bags home and who knows they might throw in complimentary bathrobes and towels as well.

Best Regards,

Richard Mehr

Been to Sunsuri Phuket? Share your experiences!