“Ooh la la!” 5 of 5 stars

Denholms Road, Cambridge, Clarence, Tasmania, Australia   |
Melbourne, Australia
“Ooh la la!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

We stayed here for two nights during a tour of Tasmania and it was definitely one of the best accommodations we booked. A little off the beaten track but worth taking the trouble to find. Separate cottages set on a slight rise, look out over the vineyard to the hills beyond and provide a relaxing, peaceful setting with no traffic noise at all. Sitting out on the verandah in the evening with a glass of wine you could be forgiven for thinking that you were in the French countryside, not Tasmania!

The provincial French décor inside the cottage was a delightful change from the modern chocolate and beige décor in most motels or resorts. The extra decorator touches showed some originality in thinking and were really charming. Top marks for that!

The kitchen was well supplied with necessities if you wanted to whip up a French delicacy, even down to some interesting recipe books which I wish I’d had the time to peruse more thoroughly, food books being one of my weaknesses. There were even wine glasses of different sizes. Nice touch.

Several bottles of wine from the estate were provided for purchase but no cheese or olives which were on the mini bar list.

There were a couple of small negatives which I feel obliged to mention. On our first morning we decided to have a lazy start as we had spent the previous day walking around Port Arthur in the heat and were quite tired. As rain was forecast, we had planned no long trips for the day so thought we'd sleep in. However, we were woken before 8am by the sound of soft chatter right outside the window and discovered two immigrant workers pulling up the weeds and having what was probably a delightful conversation between themselves. They weren’t talking loudly, but it was enough to wake us. I feel they could have been asked not to work on the cottage gardens until after 10am when most people would have either checked out or left for the day.

The development of accommodation on the estate is clearly in its infancy stages and work is still being carried out on new cottages and the surrounding gardens. I understand that work has to be done and the workers, to their credit, were being as quiet as they could, but it did spoil what would have been a peaceful morning. I am sure that when development is all finished, it will be totally delightful and I would have no hesitation in returning next time I am in the area.

Highly recommended if you are looking for a particularly peaceful place to stay. Richmond is only about 10 minutes away and the pub there has good food at a good price. There were no other restaurants open the night we were there but we found this common in small country towns. Either that, or you are expected to eat around 6pm because by 8pm they're closed!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

I agree with the other reviews in the fact that this cottage was situated in a great location, well off the main road and close to the winery eating options. It was cute, clean and nicely decorated. Unfortunately a negative word of warning. This accommodation was advertised as a two bedroom cottage and as such we booked one cottage for two travelling couples. To our amazement and dissapointment we found one bedroom only with single beds.The queen size bed was located in the 'open' lounge, kitchen area with no privacy from the living area (not even a privacy screen or wall). We would not have booked the singe cottage if we had known this. Other than that I could not fault the accommodation.

Room Tip: Beware that the Stanford Cottage is NOT a 2 bedroom cottage as advertised. It is one bedroom with si...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Launceston, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

Arrived of an evening so it was dark and seemed like a long drive up the entrance, but as soon as I walked into the Cottage I was delighted. The cottage style was elegantly French so sweet.
When I awoke in the morning and looked outside I saw the awesome scenery.

A friend joined my husband and I on our holiday and he was very well accommodated with an extra bed made up for him in the second bedroom,

Only about 15 minutes from Hobart and about 10 minutes from Richmond, this is the perfect place to stay.

Can't wait to go back, just with my husband next time.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

You know when you finally end the week and sit back in your favourite armchair with a scotch, well this was the feeling I got when staying at this exquisite winery retreat. Pure relaxation, awesome scenery, definitely a touch of class in the Roberts Cottage we stayed in. The cottage style was elegantly French, from the corner book selves to the beautiful bath and stylised bedrooms. Riversdale Estate offers the most beautiful setting with rolling hills filled with some of the great wines of Australia. The Sauvignon Blanc, pinot, pinot grey and even the sparkling Crux was to die for. Needless to say this place combines everything a winery weekend should have. Only 10 minutes from the airport and Hobart central, the Salamanca markets on a Saturday are a must and a 20 minute drive to the top of Mt Wellington. For a tourist looking for the best of the best, Riversdale Estate is a must stay next time you're in Tasmania.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2010

We stayed here as our base for Hobart. We were almost in the vineyards overlooking the water & mountains & yet a 10 minute drive to Hobart. The cottages are beautifully decorated with a French theme. Just up my alley! We all squealed with delight when we entered the cottage - even my husband, and that is saying something! Very clean & beds comfortable. My mother joined us on our holiday to Tasmania & she was very well accommodated with an extra bed made up for her in the second bedroom with our two girls. Riversdale Estate is located on the road to Richmond only a 5 minute drive away & Richmond a definite visit. We also spent a day in Port Arthur from there. A definite must! Dont go too early to Richmond or any village in Tasmania as most of the shops arent open & thats even at 10am! Most of them dont have definite opening times & I found that very annoying. As we had long days of trying to see as much as we could & the antique shopping I was hoping to do didn't happen as much as I would have liked.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

These attractive cottages are 10 minutes from Hobart airport and so close to a quiet flight path,and 10 minutes from cute Richmond.Unfortunately you can not park at the door of all of them,no one ever contacts you (its key in the door and lock up when you go !) There is no close shop or restaurant attached,and no phone.Large satellite dish next door.
Few hangers and poor cloths storage.Partly faulty air con and blinds that do not block the morning light.Could have been a lot cleaner and tidy.The staff had left money from previous occupier purchase of wine or trinkets un collected.
However it looks OK see photos and is two bedroom and fairly priced.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2010

I stayed here with my two daughters- 11 and 13 - for a week in January, and we all found the cottages charming. They were beautifully furnished in French provincial style and I can honestly say I have never ever slept in such a comfortable bed. The kids thought their beds were equally as good as mine. The kitchen is lovely too if you want to cook, although there's lots of lovely eating places in Richmond if you want to spoil yourself. The pub in Richmond has really nice food especially for kids. The cottages were also a very good base for exploring the wonderful nearby historical town of Richmond (10 mins by car) and Hobart (15-20 mins). Port Arthur is about 1 1/2 hours away. The Cadbury chocolate factory is a must if you have kids (big or small!) and that's about 30 mins away. You do definitely need a car if staying here though as it's a little off the beaten track, being on a vineyard, but that really adds to the experience. We often walked through the vineyards in the evenings before dark, and this was very relaxing and enjoyable.
the few negatives I can think of, if I must be picky, were :
1. you had to pay quite a lot for washing your clothes in the laundry near the cottages ($6 per wash - considering the expensive price of the cottages per night I think the price of laundry was too high) and there was no tumble dryer. I had to ask for a drying rack. to be put in the laundry and there was nowhere in the cottage to dry clothes.
2. If you wanted to rent a DVD you had to do this from reception, which was quite a fair drive away and they cost $5 each. Again, rather high price I thought.
3. I never once had an opportunity to meet the lady I rented the cottage from (Wendy) who seemed lovely on the phone, but was not at reception the one day we went there (it's quite a drive to get there). I found it a little disappointing that there seemed to be no effort made on her part to make contact visually with her guests particularly as we were there for a week.
4. Maintenance in the cottages before each guests' stay could be a better - fixtures in the bathroom particularly in our cottage were almost coming off the walls, eg soap holder, toilet roll holder, and 2 lights in the bathroom did not work.
5. The mirror in the bathroom was at a silly height where anyone under 5ft 2 inches (all but one of us including me) had trouble seeing themselves in it as it was placed too high, and there was no other mirror in the cottage.

I suggest that the cottage is probably better for adults and smaller children rather than teenage children. Whilst there were games and books for young kids, there was little for teenagers other than TV. The TV did not get all channels.

But on balance, the negatives I mention are only relatively minor and we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Been to Riversdale Estate Cottages? Share your experiences!