“Beautiful, relaxing with excellent service!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Playa Mujeres

You added Excellence Playa Mujeres to your Saves list
Excellence Playa Mujeres
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Prolongacion Bonampak, S/N, Punta Sam | Lote Terrenos 001 MZ. 001 Sm. 003, Zona Continental, Playa Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 25% Off room rate
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Philadelphia, Pa
“Beautiful, relaxing with excellent service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2009

My husband and I just returned from a seven day stay at Excellence Playa Mujeres. This was our fourth visit to the Cancun/ Rivera Maya area. I have to say this was by far our favorite all inclusive resort. Check in was a breeze and before we knew it we were in our rooftop terrace suite. The patio was so nice with three lounging beds, a hydro pool, and an outdoor shower. We could have stayed there the entire time.
The resort has ten restaurants to choose from. There is a variety of cuisine (Italian, Asian, French ect…) I was a little leary because I had read some negative reviews about the food, but I was very happy. I thought the food was excellent. There are many bars with top shelf liquor. The service was also top notch!
The grounds are kept immaculate and there are gorgeous gardens. There is a gym that is a little crowded in the morning and they offer a few exercise classes. The staff is wonderful and very accommodating.
A few pointers:
Don’t forget your ipod or lap top. The rooms have a clock radio with an i-station and internet service is free.
You might want to bring along a dvd or two. We had one rainy day and the concierge offers dvd’s but they are out of date.
Another thing that happened; I forgot my hairbrush and had to catch a cab to the local wallmart to buy one that only ended up breaking in the middle of blow-drying my hair. I know the women can appreciate the importance of the proper hair paraphernalia! Lol
If you are looking for a drop dead gorgeous beach look to go somewhere else in the Caribbean. The water is clear aqua blue but there is a lot of seaweed on the beach. The resort works hard to keep it clean.
All in all I would highly recommend Excellence.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,233)
oakville, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2009

Just spent 10 wonderful days at EPM, March 20-30, and would like to share with you my thoughts and experiences.

First of all, a bit about my me and my husband . My husband travels internationally for business on a regular basis, and I have been fortunate to accompany him. We have stayed in some pretty spectacular properties over the years, such as raffles, Madarin oriental, etc. We have not been one for all inclusive, and I had to fight tooth and nail to get my husband to agree to go to one, in Mexico, of all places, where he has never had any interest in going. Needless to say, my husband has had a change of heart....
We booked our rooms through Roads Less Taken, and our flights separately through Air Canada. The land portion included transportation to and from the resort through Cancun Transfers. We arrived at the resort at 10:30 am, were greeted in the usual Excellence manner, and given our pager so that we would know when our room is ready. I did find it strange that a room would not be ready when the resort was at 45% capacity, but no matter; we wandered the resort to find out the lay of the land, then went to the Grill for lunch. Enrique, our waiter was a lovely young man, and made our day! Carlos the director of food and beverages came over for a lengthy conversation, and he offered me a tour of his kitchen facilities at a time of my convenience... I never did find the time to take him up on his offer, though.

Around 12:30 our room was ready, and Jesus, our lovely bellman in training ( he is normally a bartender) showed us to our room, which was decorated with towel art, red roses and rose petals, sparkling wine and a wonderful fruit basket. I won’t go into the rooms in too much detail, other than to say pictures do not do it justice, as so many people have already commented on them. The room did smell a little strange, if not musty, only at first.... one quickly becomes used to it. I loved the height of the bed... mine at home is like that. I would have liked to see more substantial pillows ( king size would be nice), but the bed was very comfortable. The only two things I would have to comment on are, there was no screen on the patio door... we slept with the doors open most nights, good things we did not see a single bug around the resort the entire time we were there. Also, the lovely, but entirely unpractical mirrors is the bathroom were WAY to high for me to see anything but the top of my head in... a proper vanity mirror would be nice. All in all, though, an exceptional room, and spotless.

Adrian, our concierge ( yes, every building has one, whether EC or not), came by and asked us if there was anything he could get us or anything he could do for us. We asked that our room be cleaned by noon every day, and turndown between 6 and 10. Done. Never had to ask twice. Lovely mariachi figures, chocolates and towel art left every night. WE were in room 8203, and had a lovely view of the square, the lazy river and the ocean. Thank you to Esther for granting us our every request for our room, while staying within the non EC block.
For the rest of the afternoon we just chilled by the main pool, then headed to an early dinner and off to bed. For the rest of my review I will break things down by category.
Service:
Beyond exceptional. Nothing was too much to ask, and you usually didn’t even have to ask, it just seemed to magically happen. Every one greets with a smile, and everyone seems to legitimately enjoy their job. A++
Special kudos go to Jesus, Enrique, who remembered us no matter which restaurant we went to, Adrian, our concierge, who called us no less than three times during our stay to ensure we were having a good time, Hugo, the sommelier, who knew exactly what vintages we ordered after night one, and had it ready for us every night afterwards ( still don’t know how he managed to be in the same restaurant as us every night), Ingrid, Barbara, Carlos and Juan at the SOL and BLEU, and Danny, Clara and Adrian, who kept us entertained at the pool during the day.

Restaurants and food:
Agave: went there three times. Food good, not great. Had issues with getting the food out to you hot. Soup was lukewarm each time. Chocolate Biscuit and the Mexican Coffee a must. Mariachi band was awesome. Service very very slow all three times we went. Went mostly for the atmosphere. B
Spice: beautiful decor; however our first meal of the trip was our worst. Sushi very good, but everything else lacked flavour, and was lukewarm. Did not go back. D
Barcelona: Had breakfast here every morning. Not your run of the mill buffet. Many many made to order options. Plus free flowing mimosas and bloody Mary’s. A++
Lunched most days at Barcelona, again, made to order stations, plus the best spread for fixing your own sandwiches that I have seen in a while. A++
Dinner , we ate here once. Very very good, it was earth Day, so they turned the lights off and we had dinner by candle light. A
Chez Isabelle... ate here twice... our favourite. Sea bass, venison and Duck were the best. On our last night Hugo made a special dessert of banana’s flambé at table side... so sweet of him, and so good! A+++
The Grill and Lobster house: ok for lunch B, very nice for dinner. Ambience just lovely, and they allowed us to order from both menus. Again, Hugo surprised us with a very nice Mayan Coffee spectacular...amazing! A
Flavour market: kept meaning to get there, but never did.
Special nights ( Mexican and Caribbean, as well as Earth Day) food was plentiful and they obviously put a lot of effort into it, but the food was COLD. D
Room Service:
Fast, hot, guac and chips...mmm.

Pool grill/ service
If it was not too windy, they set up a grill at the Sol Bar, with hamburgers, hot dogs, grilled chicken sandwiches with all the fixings, as well as guac, salsa, chips. Very very good. Also able to order off Lobster house or grill lunch menu from the pool wait staff. Service was quick and efficient... they even managed to find me some pretzels and potato chips one afternoon. A

Wine:
OK, we are wine snobs. I don’t apologise for it. Could NOT drink the house wine for dinner... we ordered wine every night, the wine list was majorly extensive and well priced. Hugo very knowledgeable and so mature and educated for a mere 25 years old. Hugo tells us he will be going to Oyster bay to help with the hiring and training of bar staff in August for their soft opening.

Drinks/bars:
Top shelf. Ask for the brand you want and you shall have it, for the most part, and the barmen will remember it. I ordered my chocolate martini ( 1 oz vodka, ½ oz crème de cacao and ½ oz grand marnier ) the first night in both the Martini lounge and Kafe Cafe, and every night after that, one was placed in front of me before I could order. Nice effort on the drinks of the day... one alcoholic one non. Ask for the Mayan specialty hangover cure... CHillata! A+

POOL/Grounds

Unbelievably beautiful and well kept. Lots of hidden gems around the property in terms of quiet places to sneak away and beautiful sculptures around the grounds. Men in green snipping, pruning and hand clipping all days long. Public interior spaces spotless, as well.
Pools were beautiful, and there was a team of young men constantly cleaning and testing the water. Main pool was warm... wouldn’t want it any warmer. The other pools were not heated but by no means cool, simply more refreshing than the main pool. Lots of loungers, hammocks, swinging beds, and loungers that sat in the shallow water. Never had a problem finding a chair. Pool float hogs were rampant... just go take one and dare them to say something to you. Leave them in the pool when you are finished with them, PLEASE!!
Great swim up bar, and the action takes place in the area of the main pool between Bleu and Sol. A great band on Fridays plays for a couple of hours, and taped music at other times, They seem to play a bit of every genre to appeal to everyone. One thing that bothered me was that, although quiet areas abound on this resort ( even at the main pool), one or two people seemed to feel it was their right to complain and have the music turned off. One day a man requested that the music be turned up, less than 5 minutes later, one lady complained, and, not getting her way, seeked out management who promptly turned the music off... not down, off. One of the entertainment staff told me that last year they had a band every other day of the week until someone complained, and now they have them only once.... the band plays for 2 hours between 3 and 5, NOT in the evening, by the way!

People should be aware that the main pool is where the fun, music and activities are held, and if this is annoying to you, please go to a quiet area and allow everyone who wants to participate ( in the case the vast majority) to do so.

Activities:
Only two staff members during the day, and supposedly two more at night... did not see anyone after 5, myself, but that does not mean they are not there.

We had great fun with Danny and Clara, mat races... too much fun, water and beach volleyball, horseshoes, water aerobics, poker, blackjack, arts and crafts, Spanish lessons, salsa lessons, and my personal fave, Giant Jenga. There are also hobie cats, wind surf boards, parasailing, kayaks and snorkelling gear. Lots to do if you cared to. Also, on one day per week, the spa staff sets up massage chairs and offer free back and scalp massages,,, heavenly!

Must DO:

Day trip to Isla Mujeres: cheap cab and ferry ride brings you to the Isla, where you can rent a golf cart, tour the island, hang on North Beach...awesome, and drink Coronas ( they don`t serve it at the resort). Also cheap silver and everything is to be bargained for. Food is good and authentic, and there is an awesome bar at the beach with swings instead of bar stools. This was a great day.

Also totally enjoyed the free golf cart tour of the resort, golf course, lagoon and LÀmada and marina.

Weather: Beautifully sunny and hot ( low to mid 30`s during the day and low 20`s at bight. Did not need a sweater after dark, which was nice. It was very windy most days, though and water sports were cancelled. I had a diving trip booked each day, but due to weather, I never got out on one of them as the harbour master had closed the port down to all but the largest of boats. Also the jungle tour and snorkel trip was cancelled as well. This however, did not ruin my trip, as the resort had so much going for it anyway. Our second last day there it was cloudy and cool until 3 pm, but then the sun came out and it was beautiful. I think there were 12 of us around the pool that day.
Gym:

Well equipped, but dark and humid. Walked on the beach for miles each morning for exercise instead.

Beach:

Never saw a blade of sea grass the entire time I was there, nor any garbage. Yes, ok, up past the golf course near the private residences and beyond, it got a bit more ``natural``, but that is a long walk, and you probably would not want to be in the water way up there anyway. Water was beautiful and warm, rough on the windy days but fun to be in. Di not understand the complaints about the beach at all.

Tipping:

We tipped, others did not. If you can afford to come here, you can afford to tip properly. These people are so gracious and kind, and do not expect to be tipped, but a little goes a long way. The staff here work hard to ensure you have the best experience possible... show your appreciation.

All in all, this was a fabulous experience. We are planning our trip for next year, and it will be at Excellence Playa Mujeres. I do not think I have ever been so pampered or spoiled!

Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

This place was so wonderful as soon as we returned we are trying to see when we can go back. We went with great friends (one other couple) from Mar 19-23rd. Upon arrival you recieve a cool cloth that smells wonderful (scents from the spa I believe). Our rooms were not ready (since we flew in early) so our bags were checked (easy to get back into with your card) and we enjoyed our first day on the beach and at the pool. The entire facility is beautiful, very clean and everyone so nice. we immediatly started asking other guests how they were enjoying their time, what to see and do... all were really enjoying their time.

The beach sand is so cool - I expected it to be hot - not at all. The staff are very attentive on the beach as well... the poolside is wonderful and the pool bar is fun! They are not stingy with the drinks so if you like them weak - make sure to tell them. There are hot tubs everywhere, we usually ended with a last drink in a hot tub before going to out rooms to get ready for dinner.

The rooms were awesome!!! We took full advantage of the jacuzzi tub and balcony. We really liked the food - I think our fav was Spice! My husband is 1/2 Thai and we love that food.... the couple we went with liked sushi and he loved the lobster sushi so he ordered 2. The lobster house was really good and the grill at lunch was wonderful. The breakfast at Barcellona in the morning is amazing - you really couldn't ask for anything that wasn't there.

My friend and I took advantage of the spa our last full day - so amazing!!!! the hydrotherapy at the end is a must for everyone to experience. We also had made a trip to Isle Mujeres and rented a golf cart, cruised around the isle and took in the views.

The only thing that I can say that could use improvement would maybe be that we had to wait sometime for our waiter to return ..... but we were on a relaxing vacation.....we were not in any rush!!!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
halifax, ns
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2009

Just returned from EPM on the 27th March. We were there last year same time when the resort was only 3 months old and were extremely pleased with everything then. Planned on going to Jamaica this year to the newest Excellence property which isn't ready yet so we decided to return to Playa Mujeres. I didn't expect it could be better than it was but we were pleasantly surprised. The staff were even more attentive than last year. If I was asked once I was asked two dozen times "is there anything we can do to make your vacation more enjoyable?". Now, if you can complain about a resort that provides that level of service, I believe you can't be pleased.

Laura who served drinks on the beach was the nicest person you could meet anywhere, always polite and attentive, great server. Antonio at the Grill went out of his way to acccomodate a request for us. Adrian, our concierge in Building 8 repeatedly asking if he could do anything for us (even calling to ask). Esther at the main lobby concierge arranged a couple excursions for us and Jesus who helped to locate a misplaced hat through the lost and found. I could go on and on but the purpose of this is not to name every employee there doing a great job, and trust me, they all do a great job. Andrea in entertainment, you're a nice addition to the team.

The beach has some sea grass as reported, step over it and enjoy an endless, private amazing beach. I had to step over some slush and snow at the airport in Halifax so this was a minor issue to me.

The new La Amada is now open next door which was a concern of ours that the beach may become crowded, not even remotely an issue. I seen 3 people at most on the beach in front of La Amada, that's it. We walked the property to see it and it's incredible as well. Very upscale and intimate. The landscape is yet to fill in but this will be without a doubt one of the nicest resorts available anywhere.

The new apartments/condos are now available and we were fortunate enough to view a model suite. You have to take the golf cart tour and ask to see for yourself.

Golfed at the Greg Norman designed course, reasonably priced. Wish I could give a review on the course itself as to the difficulty etc. I find golf a challenge at best so I'm not the guy to pass an opinion on that. Beautiful scenary as you would expect.

The rooms are as clean and fresh as last year and as a testiment to the amount of people who liked it enough to return, we met friends there from the UK who were there last year along with 2 other couples who looked around but couldn't find anything better so they decided to return. I seen others there also that were there last year who I didn't get to speak with but to me a return customer speaks volumes about a place. It's the first resort we've been to that we liked enough to return to.

My previous review was titled "Incredible" and was posted around the same time last year so I'm not going to repeat myself however if you have any questions please email me, I would be pleased to answer you and see another person have as nice a holiday as we did.
RickMcNS

Central Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2009

We stayed at the Excellence Playa Mujeres from February 28th through March 10, 2009 for a romantic winter get away and the resort exceeded our expectations on every level. We had previously stayed at the Excellence Riviera Cancun four times and from those trips had come to expect the Excellence standard of care and we were not disappointed.

We arrived at the resort and were whisked away with campagne and a cool towel to the Excellence Club for our check in which as always was a breeze. There was some confusion as to whether it was our anniversary, it was not, so we did not use the package they offered. We had requested a room in high rise building nine because we wanted privacy on our rooftop terrace and we were not disappointed. We were taken to room 9453 and it was perfect. The room was beautiful and immaculate and the view from our balcony and the roof top terrace was stunning. The room overlooks the ocean and the wedding gazebo and the wild area to the left. We used the terrace to soak up the sun every day and really appreciated the shower and plunge pool to cool off. We really wanted a quiet vacation away from all the action and high rise nine is away from the main pool but a close walk to all of the restaurant areas and it was perfect for us because there is very little noise from the activities going on elsewhere at the resort.

The room was beautiful, the bed firm but comfortable with nice linens and lots of pillows. We think it was better than those at ERC. The bathroom was luxurious and we loved the rain shower. The door to the commode was not an issue for us. Housekeeping came timely every day when we used our maid service card in the door lock and turn down service was also timely every night and the only time we did not get turn down service was when we were in the room with our do not disturb sign in. The mini bar was stocked daily and we left tips in there for the person doing the stocking and we received more of what we use and less of what we did not. The service here was wonderful on every level. We used room service for coffee every morning and ordered lunch one day and breakfast two days. Eating eggs benedict on your balcony overlooking the ocean really spoils you.

It was a bit chilly and the pools were cold during our stay, but this is beyond the control of the resort unless the pools are heated and we understand some are, we just did not check them out. The grounds are always being tended to and the maintenance crew is always working on improving things throughout the resort which is impressive as the resort is still very new. The statuary, the grass and plants and little seating areas tucked throughout the resort make this a very calming and romantic place to be.

The restaurants we tried were all very good. The service at all of them was very good. Our favorite restaurant was Agavae and we ate there three times. We felt the quality of the food for authentic mexican if you stay away from things like the tex mex and stick to the specials was the best on the resort. The fresh grouper special, the camerones and the chiles rellenos were all great. Do not miss the chocolate cake here, we thought it was the best dessert at the resort. We also tried the Grill for steak and lunch, the ceasar salad is fabulous and we ate it several times during our stay. We tried the Lobster House, Chez Isabella, Spice and the Flavor Market as well as Barcelona. Everything was very good and some things were great. It would be difficult not to find something enjoyable to eat here as the food quality and attention to detail is very good. Breakfast at Barcelona every day presents so many choices, both healthy and not so healthy, you could eat breakfast here every day and not eat the same thing twice. We tried Barcelona for lunch a few times and a few days after lunch at the Grill we wandered over to Barcelona for some dessert as the Grill does not have a salad bar or dessert bar like they have at the ERC, which we missed. One afternoon, having eaten a late breakfast, we wandered over the Excellence Club to check out the late afternoon snacks and were pleasantly surprised to find a great selection of hot and cold bites and ate a great late lunch in the Excellence club. The little bacon wrapped tenderloins there were very good as were the little truffles. The staff in all of the restaurants and the Excellence Club always delivered service with a smile and were very attentive. We tipped generously as these people work very hard to make sure you are enjoying your holiday and they really genuinely appear to enjoy making you happy.

We highly reccomend the spa for both the hydrotherapy circuit and the stress cure massage. We did these services twice as a couple and thoroughly enjoyed the luxury and relaxation of the services.

We rented a car for three days and were happy that we did as we had planned to do some activities off site and the resort is pretty far from Cancun and areas like Playa Del Carmen and Tulum. We traveled up and down the Riviera Maya coast over three days and always felt safe. The people at the downtown Avis location even dropped us back off at the hotel when we returned the car, for no charge!

We highly recommend this property for a relaxing, romantic vacation with the one you love. The grounds, the pools, the bars and restaurants, the room quality are all top notch. There is so much we did not get to do because we were busy relaxing and enjoying each other's company that we are planning our next trip back for this summer and are considering returning in September to renew our wedding vows. We watched a wedding at the gazebo and it was beautifully done.

Overall this resort is the best we have ever stayed at in the Carribean. I could say so much more, but our review echos the overall comments of most other reviewers, this resort is a top notch holiday destination if you want to enjoy beautiful surroundings with the one you love. We can't wait to go back.

Orlando Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2009

Very Clean, expansive resort with great service. Our room (6401) was far better than I expected. the terrace was huge and it was so nice to relax and enjoy the tranquil environment. Every guest in the resort that we talked too loved the place and made for a great atmosphere. We made many new friends including those working at the resort. Everywhere you go they treat you so nice and welcoming. We enjoyed the food, I loved the Frozen Margaritas and the fun we had at the swip up bar. We strongly recommend getting a couples massage after going through the marine circuit. It was "excellent". We are already planning our next trip!

Houston, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

Okay, let me start by saying…this is my second time at EPM. I last went in May 2008 for 5 nights. This time we stayed for three nights.

Just like my first visit I enjoyed EPM. I got the pool view in building 6, level 3 I prefer building 1. You get more sun and more of a pool view. Upon arrival I received the cold champagne and towel. Check-in was simple and easy. Considering it was my second time back at the resort, I hoped to be upgraded. I think returning patrons should get extra perks.

Let me go through the highlights
FOOD and DRINK
Last time I dined at Spice Agave, and Toscana. (Agave Margaritas rock). Its not quite authentic Mexican food, but it was good!

This time we dined at Barcelona, Spice and Chef Isabelle. My husband loves Spice. I personally would give 3 out 5 stars. A lot of people were reserving Hibachi. Barcelona was simply boring. The menu is too outdated. I ordered the lamb and was dissatisfied. Chef Isabelle was great. I ordered the steak and it was seasoned well. You must try the goat cheese crepes. It tasted like cream cheese with seasonal fruits. Yum! There was a waiter named Jaime at this restaurant. 5 Stars in terms of service!!

Remember you payed for all-inclusive, you can order anything and everything off the menu! The portions are small!

I’m not a liquor drinker. The wine selection was poor. In the white wine selection you only have Mexican Chardonnay and Sauvignon. They have a reserve wine list but as an example, a bottle of Beringer White Zinfandel costs $30. CRAZY!
Please note that even though you are at a 5-star resort, the staff deserves tips! Especially when the level of service exceeds expectations.

BUFFET
I went to the Buffet for breakfast and lunch. We had lunch at the grill, but there were too many things flying around. It’s all about the Guacamole!!!! So fresh !!!!!! I ate it all day. The breakfast buffet had a great selection of fruits, smoothies, omelets station and breads. The Maître d' named Jorge was excellent.

Bars are good. I think there are 8. Just ask for the top-shelf liquor. The excellence Martini is just fine. Dos Equis is the main Mexican beer. Perfecto-(name of Bartender is great a mixing martinis)

NIGHTLIFE
Like many other reviews, its just typical. There is a club (discothèque ) by the gym that stays open till 1am. In fact all the bars on the resort stay open till 1am. My husband noted that it was the same DJ playing the same tunes every night! But it was fun to dance off the alcohol.

BEACH
Plenty of chairs for everyone. You are on the side of Mexico that is not seaweed free and the water is not crystal clear. There are plenty of towels and great service on the beach.

POOL
Just fine. There is a main pool bar in the center of the resort. There are more than enough chairs to go around. What disappointed me was the amount of people hoarding the lazy pool swim mats. Seriously not cool.

ROOMS
My room was cleaned everyday and I had turn-down service every night. No complaints about the room. The free-wireless connection was bad. But there is a business center with free internet. The hotel is spot less. SO CLEAN.

Shuttle transfer. I booked through Expedia and they do not offer a shuttle transfer to the resort. I used Lomas Travel for transfers from the airport to EPM. The total cost was $70 for 2 adult’s roundtrip. We opted for the shared passenger but we were lucky to get direct from hotel to airport. The resort is 30 minutes away from Cancun and the airport, it is the only resort in the area. You are in the middle of nowhere.

I hope this helps, I really love this resort. But I think I’m going to wait for the new one in Coco Bay Jamaica to open. If you are looking to relax, away from noise, no children, decent views, and overall calm this is the resort to go to! If you really like swimming in the clear water, or prefer to be in the Cancun Hotel Zone then try LeBlanc Spa.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!