My husband and I spent our first year wedding anniversary at EPM Oct 26-Nov 2 of 2013 (sorry for the delayed review) and had a great time! Overall the staff was friendly, the food good, the room clean and 9 months later I have nothing but happy memories. I want to write a review to help others who use this as a tool like I do when making any decision on a trip. There are so many all inclusives in Mexico that it can be a bit confusing. We stayed at Secrets Maroma Beach for our honeymoon the year before so naturally when I arrived I couldn't help but compare the two. Let me preface that both are wonderful but I will state some differences:
There are way more pools and options at EPM then at SMB. We loved the lazy river and the fact that we could be at the main pool then sneak off and drift away on a raft.
Hands down the beach at SMB is better. It's larger and clearer and I am not sure there are many beaches in the cancun/riviera area that compare to that of SMB. The beach at EPM is nice, but just not quite as impressive.
The rooms at both are fairly equal. Both are nice, have seating areas, jacuzzi tubs, have turn down service and stocked mini bars. However, you do get full bottles of alcohol at EPM. We didn't really use them, but still nice to have he option. I can say that I am not very picky about beds, but the bed at EPM is a little hard. We could have called for a topper but didn't, so I can't really complain too much about it :)
Both breakfast buffets were great and had lots of options. Same with the restaurants. EPM had more options overall when it came to lunch and dinner. At EPM we loved that they had a different buffet served on the beach each day, we LOVED the wood fire pizza oven as well. We wished that you could sit at the pool or beach and order food directly with your server like they do at SMB. It just would make things a little easier, but certainly not deal breaker. Both have excellent pool and beach service when it comes to ordering drinks. EPM also had more restaurant choices and we tried most of them. We really liked Basmanti. I highly recommend you try it one night if you have the chance.
We didn't do the do the excellence club so I can't talk much about that. I don't feel like we missed on on not being EC members during our stay. If you are on the fence, I would say to forget about it!
THE STAFF at both were wonderful. Truly enjoyable. I felt a little more special when we stayed at SMB, but that could have been because we were honeymooners and had the package there. But really there is always a friendly face to greet you and answer any questions you might have along the way.
I hope this helps a little bit for anyone who is considering EPM over SMB. I won't pick a favorite because each had pros and cons, but I can promise you that you won't be sorry for choosing EPM!
Also, we always book our airport transportation with a travel agent who arranges this with Olympus tours. We never have any issues and everything is super easy!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury adults-only resort nestled among seven swimming pools on a powdery white sand beach, in a community that boasts a spectacular Greg Norman signature golf course. This jewel of Cancun sets a new standard of luxury for all-inclusives with finely tuned amenities such as one-of-a-kind accommodations including two-story rooftop terrace suites with a private Plunge pool, meticulous service, gourmet cuisine, an exquisite spa and the signature Excellence Club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Excellence Group LLC, Otel, Low Cost Holidays, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Excellence Playa Mujeres reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Excellence Playa Mujeres Hotel Playa Mujeres
- Excellence Hotel Playa Mujeres
- Playa Mujeres Excellence Hotel
- Excellence Playa Mujeres Cancun