“The Best Beach Vacation Yet!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Playa Mujeres

You added Excellence Playa Mujeres to your Saves list
Excellence Playa Mujeres
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Prolongacion Bonampak, S/N, Punta Sam | Lote Terrenos 001 MZ. 001 Sm. 003, Zona Continental, Playa Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
15% Off Room Rate
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Nyack, New York, United States
“The Best Beach Vacation Yet!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

We have been to lots of beaches for vacation and while this beach is not the most beautiful, we can't wait to get back in March because the hotel and grounds are gorgeous and the staff is just amazing.
I spent as much time as I could on a beach chair at the ocean and I got all the service I needed and then some.
Yes, we did upgrade to an ocean front room and we did book with Liberty Travel (Maris Torres is the best travel agent) so the extras were appreciated.
We did have a day and 1/2 of rain during our week visit, but that's always possible in November.
Thumbs way up for EPM!

Room Tip: Beachfront all the way! Breakfast on the terrace!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,551)
Leeds
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

We stayed at excellence playa mujeres 9th - 19th november 2013 for our honeymoon. First impressions were very good, champagne on arrival, very good customer service and pleasant staff. This good first impression continued when we got to our room; we stayed in one of the ground floor swim up rooms and we were happy with the room.

Sunday the 10th - after breakfast we spent a few hours deciding and sorting out excursions, after which we decided to go to the main pool area for a couple of hours. We were out of our room from approximately 3.30pm to 5.15pm. Prior to going for a swim i had taken off my cargo shorts to change into my swim shorts (leaving my wallet in my cargo shorts on the sofa in our room).

Monday 11th - the plan for the morning was to have breakfast and then to meet with the tour rep to pay for the excursion to chichen Itza which we had arranged on sunday. I got my wallet out of my cargo shorts and immediately noticed there appeared to be less notes in it. There was exactly £260 in £20 notes in my wallet the day before - when i counted it on the morning of 11th november there was only £140 left.

Immediately me and my wife went to the reception to report a theft had taken place. There were no break ins etc but our room had been made up by the maids in the time we had been out. The initial response from the concierge was disappointing; he was hinting that i may have misplaced the money or perhaps spent it. Never the less, internal security was called, they examined our room as if it were a murder scene and told us they would give us the findings of their investigation within 48 hours.

wednesday 13th - Danielle the general manager called our room to have a chat with me. Danielle advised that they had concluded their investigation. She explained that only 1 person had been in our room between 3.30pm-5.15pm on the date of the incident; this was the housekeeping supervisor. Danielle advised that the housekeeping supervisor had been with them for 2 years, had said she didnt take the money out of my wallet and that she believed her.

I was incredibly annoyed and asked to meet with Danielle in person. Danielle's comments that she believed her staff member made my blood boil as again that insinuated i was not telling the truth - i pointed this out to Danielle and she was quick to apologise and say she believed me also??

Danielle did offer to reimburse me £120 to remedy the situation (Which was a nice gesture), but from my point of view the damage had been done, not only had we had money stolen by a staff member on day 2 of our holiday, the so called investigation was performed poorly and the manner of of the feedback very unprofessinal.

We asked for a different maid to clean our room going forward - but again the damage had been done, we didnt feel relaxed in the room and felt like we were performing numerous checks each team we left our room - the rest of the holiday was spent on high alert, thus defeating the purpose of a relaxing holiday.

The Excellence Playa Mujeres resort is a decent resort, the customer service is good and the people friendly - but my experience has left a nasty taste in my mouth. Although i would visit cancun and mexico again, i would not stay at excellence playa mujeres.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
First and foremost we would like to thank you for taking the time to bring this discontent to our attention.

We deeply regret the situation described since our guests’ safety is up most important for us. The hotel counts with high safety security standards and procedures for the comfort of our guests. One of those standards includes the presence of electronic safe boxes free of charge on each suite. Its use is recommended as a preventive action, and this is a general policy in most hotels in the world. For this reason, the hotel cannot be held responsible for any object kept outside the safe deposit box. Moreover, is our duty to emphasize that all our employees go through a strict inspection every day before their departure.

Our corporate customer service department remains at your disposal at customerservice@excellence-resorts.com in order to further discuss the matter or in case you require any future assistance.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

We stayed here as part of our honeymoon from 10th October - 14th October after 4 nights in Vegas. We wish we just came here for our entire honeymoon.

This all inclusive at this resort is amazing. You cannot fault the staff, extremely attentive and friendly. We we treated so well from the time we entered until they arranged our transport back to the airport.
We did not upgrade to the excellence club but we were right near the Excellence Club Rooms.

Housekeeping staff were great everyday they tidied the room, had our mini bar stocked up and replaced any of the full sized spirits that we had finished. Not that you needed the drinks that were in your room, the cocktails at the bar and pool side service were amazing. All included in your stay a great drinks menu and if they didnt have something listed they would make it for you specially.

Wide range of ages there from early 20's up to 60's. You could socialise with other guests poolside or just enjoy the company of who you came with.

We were approached twice by the customer service manager during our stay to make sure everything was as we hoped. They truly care about your stay is going.

The food options were amazing do not miss out on the chance to eat at the French restaurant upstairs or Spice. They do not take bookings so get there early or you will have to wait. That would probably be the only thing that I could fault is that they do not take booking in the restaurants. Room service menu was also extensive if you decided to stay in.

The beach was beautiful, no waves like in AUS but it was so relaxing.
You also get use of their paddle boards and jetskis etc all included in what you paid.

Great honeymoon resort but there was also groups of friends. We travelled over from Australia and we hope to make it over again next year.

Room Tip: I think the 800's & 900's were excellence club we were situated here. We walked all thro...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Frederick, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

We stayed at the EPM for our honeymoon November 3 - November 10. Here are some highlights.

Room - beautiful! So open and airy. Perfectly cleaned every day and turn down service every night. We ordered room service numerous times and it was timely, delicious and always correct.

Staff - the staff at EPM was unbelievable! They were so friendly from the moment we stepped onto the property. They were so helpful and always said 'hola' when you walked by them. We were also very impressed with the security at the entrance of the property. Each vehicle was stopped and checked with the master list of guests.

Pool - the pool was awesome. So many areas to sit and relax and we never had trouble finding a place to sit. The huts were great for when you got too hot or if a rain shower came through. The water was a great temperature and the hot tubs were nice for when the sun went in the clouds. It was always clean. The drink service at the pool was excellent. FIDEL was our waiter for the whole week and he kept the drinks coming! He was so friendly, got to know us, remembered our names each day and most important what we liked to drink ;)

Restaurants - We managed to eat at all of them. Every single one was delicious. We really can't even pick a favorite. They were all so good. We really enjoyed Las Olas which was on the beach. It was a perfect lunch spot and they had theme lunches each day. Our favorite lunch was the tacos and margarita making!

Beach - The beach was nice. The staff was fighting with the seaweed on the beach (because of two days of storms) and they diligently tried to clear it from the beach each morning. By the end of our stay, the seaweed wasn't as bad. There were plenty of places on the beach to sit and relax and order drinks.

Bars - We visited all the bars and they were great. The service was fast and accurate. The drinks were also delicious and the staff was always friendly.

Spa - a must do! We got the Excellence Couples Massage. Make sure you go an hour before your massage time for the hydro therapy session. That was wonderful and the massage was amazing!

Activities - so many to choose from! There was always something to do. Things at the beach and pool, classes, water sports. Plenty of options for everyone.

All in all we had an EXCELLENT time and we would totally recommend EPM to others. We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Building 8 was the perfect location!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

My girlfriend and I went on a vacation here for a week. It was everything you could want and then some. The staff was excellent. The food was great, although breakfast at the buffet wasn't very good, but room service was and so was breakfast at the lobster house. Adults only with plenty of booze. The nightly shows were cool, and there are plenty of activities. I highly reccomend this place.

Room Tip: Get a room in the excellence club
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

We just got back from EPM 11/9-11/16. When we left, I actually started to tear up. I didn't want to go...

We started to plan our wedding a year and a half ago. Never being to Excellence, I really like the reviews. I also wanted a place without children. We also didn't want to be near huge party resorts either. This location is kind of secluded so you don't get randoms on the beach or hear party noises near by. Every time I would look at the reviews they were always fantastic so we decided to give it a shot. I was assigned a wedding coordinator who was nothing but pleasant to work with.

Upon arrival we were greeted with the cold towel and champaign. The front desk people were so nice. The buildings are so clean and smell amazing. We were in building 8 which was a great location. I would recommend that building because it's right across from the main walk way and easy to access the beach and pools. The only down side is you can hear the entertainment until 11pm (or it might be an upside).

The grounds are very clean. Every employee you pass always says Hi or Hola to you. The service is the best service I've ever experienced anywhere in my life. I called to have our mini pool warmed up and after the maintenance person left, I received a call from the front desk asking if everything was OK and to my standard. You can order room service 24 hours a day.When it was raining, they offer entertainment such as poker, movies, and other games. They always add an extra touch to everything. The mini bar not only had soda and beers, it had M&Ms, chips, Oreos etc. Turn down service always leaves candy - even the ash try for smokers outside have their logo stamped into the sand every day so it's not so ugly looking.

We booked a couples massage and used the hydrotherapy center. Every day they have a spa special so we got ours for $40 off just by waiting a day. It was so amazing. Very relaxing to the point we napped afterwards.

The food is good! I didn't go in with high standards because every all inclusive resort seemed to always have the same thing in common, bad food. This food was good. They give you smaller portions but it was just enough to fill you up. Plus you could always order more. I really enjoyed the Lobster Tacos at agave. A few of their menus actually have gluten free/vegetarian option symbols which was nice (I'm gluten intolerant).

They have a doctor on-site, a great gym and tons of activities.

The wedding was perfect!

This place is truly Excellent.

The ONLY downsides, which really aren't even bad are the firmness of the beds. They are very firm. I thought I'd have trouble sleeping but I didn't. I did read a review that the front desk will put a mattress pad on for cushion if you ask. The other downside is they have hard water. Again, not a huge downside but the shower water is hard so if you're used to having a soft water tank at home, be sure to bring extra shampoo/soap.

Make sure you bring plenty of $1's otherwise the front desk can give you pesos. Even though you don't need to tip, the service is so outstanding. Unlike anything you'd get in the US.

We will be back. The group we were with would like to make it a yearly thing! You won't be disappointment. Anything you need, just ask. The staff are more than happy to accommodate you in anyway possible. This was truly my dream wedding and vacation.

Oh and how can I forget? They have an ice cream self serve stand!

Room Tip: Building 8 is right in the middle of it all! Although you do get entertainment noise until 11pm. Bui...
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

We just returned from another week at the Excellence Resort and once again, we had an absolutely fantastic time. The service is unbeatable! The rooms are spotless, large, up-to-date, and very comfortable. The restaurants, all eight of them, and the two outdoor grills offer a wide range of delicious entrees and desserts. The wood burning pizza oven offered amazingly good pizza..all made to order with whatever you wanted on it. The room service menu is also quite extensive.The pools are immaculate and beautiful as well. There are always plenty of fresh towels and with no limit like so many other resorts that issue one to each guest. The outdoor beds are also available around the pool and beach, or if you want privacy, everyone has one on their balcony. The entertainment was also very good and seemed to pop up all around the resort. Sometimes at the pool..the beach....the bar...the restaurants. The shows each night were really nice as well and so were the special parties. I haven't mentioned the other things like dance lessons, tennis lessons, the spa, water toys, etc, etc. The list of things to do is a mile long if laying around, soaking up the sun, and drinking cocktails isn't enough to do. The staff went out of their way to make our stay special. A big thank you goes out to Virginia, Daniella, Rodrigo, Ivan, Gloria, and the maid (didn't get her name) for all of your kindness and the special attention you gave to us during our visit. We will see you again next year!

Room Tip: If you want to be close to all the activity request building 7, 8, or 9. If you want to be in a mor...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!