“Return trip was Excellent!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Playa Mujeres

You added Excellence Playa Mujeres to your Saves list
Excellence Playa Mujeres
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Prolongacion Bonampak, S/N, Punta Sam | Lote Terrenos 001 MZ. 001 Sm. 003, Zona Continental, Playa Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 25% Off room rate
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Old Bridge, New Jersey
“Return trip was Excellent!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed at Excellence Playa Mujeres from May 30 - June 7. It was our 2nd visit to EPM and our 4th visit to an Excellence property. We had booked an Excellence Club Ocean Front Junior Suite so we were taken over to the Excellence Club check-in after we were warmly greeted by Daniela. I had read so much about her on TripAdvisor and I immediately understood why she got such rave reviews. She is such a cheerful and friendly woman. She welcomed us and explained that we should reach out to her if we needed anything. We saw her constantly throughout our trip and each time she addressed us as Mr. & Mrs. R----. We were truly shocked that she really did remember who we were with all the other guests that she deals with on a daily basis. She should be commended for her customer service - she really enhanced our stay…finding us by the pool to see how our dinner was the evening before and stopping us in the lobby to check on us. She even found us before left for the airport just to wish us well - She was phenomenal! Also, need to say thanks to Vilma who I corresponded with before we arrived about a few requests we had and she took care of everything we needed perfectly. We finally got to meet her and she was very sweet!

Our room wasn't ready yet as it was about 12:30pm. We headed over to The Grill for some lunch and really enjoyed our first meal, of course, starting with guacamole and chips and margaritas!!! We went back to check on our room at 3pm and it was ready. I had mentioned when we checked in that we had requested a room in 8B and we were now informed that we did have a room in that building! In fact, we got the exact room we requested - 8365. Room was beautiful as it was last year and we didn't encounter any issues during our stay.

We had a great first day laying by the 8b pool and being served drinks by our old friend, Adan, at Cielo bar. Carolina & Manuel took care of setting up our loungers and anything else we needed throughout our trip - they are both such nice people and we enjoyed chatting with them. Victor was also Adan's sidekick and delivered us many drinks throughout our time at the pool. Unfortunately, by Saturday, a very bad storm had hit the area and we had rain for practically 5 days straight. It was very upsetting but there is nothing you can do about the weather and you can barely complain when staying at such a beautiful resort with great food and drinks! The rain finally stopped by Wednesday night and we enjoyed our last two days by the pool.

We ate at Agave, Spice, Chez Isabelle and Flavour Market twice each. Loved the food at Agave as we did last year and Luis is the best waiter - he really made our dinners there very special - such a nice man. Enjoyed the food at Spice but one night service was excellent and then the 2nd night we went, service was extremely spotty but food was still great. We thought the food at Chez Isabelle was even better than last year and had Christian as a waiter - we will look for him again next year. We ate at Flavour Market for the first time and we liked being able to try so many different items - couldn't wait to go back and eat there again. Our other dinner was at Toscana and we loved their new menu. We enjoyed breakfast each morning at either Toscana (Ismael was top notch) or through room service. Very good variety for both and was shocked at the quality of the food delivered by room service - fresh and hot! We usually ordered the night before for a specific time the next morning and that worked very well. Since we ate late and large breakfasts, we didn't really eat many lunches. Had pizza one day and order grilled chicken sandwiches by the pool on two other days.

I got to chat with Virginia Amador one day in the Excellence Club and she was just as nice as I remembered. She was very concerned about how our vacation was going, especially with the bad weather. I met Dalel for the first time on the day we checked in, in the elevator right after we had unpacked. I had read nice things about her so when I saw her name tag, I said hello to her and she asked how our trip was going - we told her that we had just checked in and she asked what room we were in. When we told her, she said - oh, you must be Mr. & Mrs. R----. I was shocked that she would know that off the top of her head but that's how people are at this resort. They take customer relations extremely seriously. She was another person who addressed us by name every time she saw us. Really excellent!

A new event we were fortunate enough to attend was the Chocolate party at the Excellence Club. I am a chocoholic and this was like a dream come true! Definitely don't miss it if it's taking place while you are there!

Our evenings were spent watching some of the shows - Madonna & Michael Jackson were a lot of fun. We always wound up at the Martini Bar with the best bartender in Mexico - CESAR! He was very entertaining and so quick with the drinks - we enjoyed when it was quiet and we got to talk to him about his daughter as she was coming to visit soon and he was so excited! Gustavo was also a lot of fun and seemed to always make us laugh. Ask Cesar to make you a toasted almond martini - DELICIOUS!!!

One more thing, even though it is not expected by the employees, we tipped as much as we could. They work so hard and are so deserving.

Excellence Playa Mujeres - thank you for guaranteeing that we will back next year!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at Excellence Playa Mujeres with all Trip Advisor Readers.

We are glad to know that every time you have stayed with us, you have been able to enjoy of many unique and memorable experiences due to the amazing staff, the high quality food encountered at our Restaurants and our facilities. Please be sure that Daniela, Vilma, Adan, Carolina, Manuel, Luis, Christian, Ismael, Dalel, Cesar, and Gustavo have been already congratulated for providing you an excellent service during your stay.

We look forward to see you again and provide you with an even better experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,228)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Excellent overall, service is actually quite exceptional, all staff cheery and polite at all times. Perfect for those who want a quite relaxing time. Fitness buffs have a great weight training room and the golf course is top quality (watch out for the alligators...). Restaurants are no hassle to get in and food is very good, expecially the Indian restaurant. Cant find anything really to complain about!

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

My husband and I with two of our friends stayed at EPM for one week. From the moment we arrived, we were treated with class: wet towel to clean our hands and a glass of champagne. Mario did an amazing job during the check-in and managed to get us a Swim up suite with a pool view as it was my husband's birthday that week. Our friends also managed to get a Swim up suite close to ours and we were just one suite apart. Our suite was setup with balloons, a happy birthday cake and a bottle of champagne upon arrival. The resort is clean, the suites are spacious, the food is great and the staff are nice and professional. The day of my husband's birthday, the general manager called to wish him a happy birthday and to know where we going for supper. We went to The Flavour Market and to our surprise they had reserved for us a table for four decorated with nice balloons and candles. Given the occasion, they gave us a complementary bottle of wine from the wine selection card. We had delicious breakfast each day at Toscana where we were greeted with a big smile by Isabel, Gloria and others. We also tried all the restaurants for dinner. Our favorite was Chez Isabelle where the food was outstanding. Raquel took great care of us everyday at the beach always with big smile and made sure we never ran out of drinks. A big thank you to Raquel for her excellent and exemplary service. We had lunch at Las Olas several times where we met Emilio who was friendly, courteous and went the extra mile to ensure we were well taken care of. The entertainment at night was diverse with live bands, solo singers, live shows. The Circus and the Madonna show were very well executed. Overall we enjoyed our stay and the fact we had a private beach made us feel secure at all times when we left our personal belongings on the beds while taking a swim. We look forward to come back once more to this luxurious resort.

Room Tip: Make sure you bring insect repellant to use at night. We got lots of mosquito bites on our legs, arm...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Norfolk, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Excellence for our 2 year anniversary. We were overall very happy with our time there with a few complaints. The resort is beautiful! The water at the beach is super clear and calm. Bar service was pretty quick at the beach as well. The pool was also really nice. If you leave the main pool area and go to the "lazy river" area it felt like we were the only two at the resort. Very quiet and private.
Rooms: Loved the rain shower and the stocked mini bar. I thought from the website that the room would be larger, but it was still fine. Loved the outdoor balcony. Major complaint was how uncomfortable the bed was. This was really my major area of disapproval. The bed was extremely hard with cheap, stiff sheets. I never woke up feeling completely rested.
Bars: The drinks were so great. You can get top shelf liquor but you need to ask for it. The Martini Bar was my favorite. Really great drinks and a great location. Before dinner we would go the bar which was centrally located to the restaurants. This was a gathering place for most people before going to dinner.
Restaurants: Basmati was hands down the best dinner we had. Try the suggested menu. You get a little of everything. Next favorite was french followed by Flavor Market, Spice and then Agave. We did not care for the italian or the Grill. We ordered filet mignon and it was def. sirloin quality. However the filet is great at the french restaurant. Breakfast was great wherever we went. We always went light for lunch but ate the Lobster House a few times which had a great selection. One gripe was the slow speed of the internet. horrible!
Overall we were very happy with our trip, but feel like it is more of a 4 star rather than 5. Although everything was really good, I cannot say that it was any better than a 4 star we have stayed at such as the Valentin Imperial Maya.

Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

OMG! YOU have to go. The rooms are marble, brass and ultra modern. Room service is without peer in the U.S.. Please go there and for one week enjoy white sands, gourmet dining and absolutely fun filled days. All the alcohol is free, a doctor is on site and everyone speaks good english. I was so destressed and the massages, liittle shops and events there were exqquisite.
Dancing, pool parties, sailing etc. This resort is in the top 3% of al the best ones world wide.
Take my word on this and go!!! One thing I recommend to all of you and that is to buy medical insurance when traveling. I managed to slip and broke my toe requiring me to go to the local hospital for a shot and a reset of the toe. Ouch it hurt... but I slipped and the resort doctor was there in a few minutes. It was my error and they were so darn nice. I'm an old Paratrooper and did a parachute landing fall which saved me but the toe was hurt. My fault but I would go back to there in a New York minute. I hope you all at elast once in your lives expierence an "all inclusive" resort. We were treated VERY well! Thank you amigos at the Resort! .

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the ocean!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

It's just like everyone says it is. Wonderful! So, I'll address it from my unique angle of being at a really nice place with a lot of food allergies including gluten and how they handled it. As soon as we got there, Hector (awesome) called the head of food service who met us at the check in counter. He took down all my allergies and seemed confident they could handle me.

Our first meal was at The Grill and we were helped by Armando. Armando himself could have a whole paragraph. He's like a waiter/butler. You will love him. It would be impossible not to. (Ask him for the "secret snack" before you go on any excursions). I did have to tell him my allergies and he was able to find me plenty of good food for me. Some people complain that the portions are small but I found that if I ordered an appetizer and my meal it was more than enough. The food is tasty and that's not what usually happens when I have to order something gluten/beef/pork/dairy/preservative free. We told him that this was our anniversary trip and he said to come back tonight (we wanted to try The Lobster House). He outdid himself! It was so amazing to look out at the beach and try grilled lobster for the first time. The grilled lobster is amazing. The whole area was decorated and it felt like we were the only people there.

The next day I was contacted and asked where we planned to have dinner. (No doubt to frighten the chef and warn them that the "allergy lady" was coming.) They checked in every day to ask where we wanted to dine and to see how things were going. Very nice touch.

Since being gluten free is now more common, I'll address that issue-

There was only one item labelled gluten free on the buffets. (Breakfast is pretty much the buffet but at lunch you can go the The Grill.) They were corn muffins and they were pretty good. All menus for the restaurants have symbols that let you know what's gf but there wasn't anything else on the buffet. Normally, I just get the gf version of everything but since they didn't have them (waffles,pancakes,bread), I went back to a more healthy way of eating-more fruit instead of desserts, more chicken and fish and lots of salad.

We never got into Spice because the line was 45 minutes each time. Next time. I did see that they had rice noodles so I was looking forward to trying it out.

Chez Isabelle-The chef came out to greet us. I asked him if I could change a few ingredients and he made me the best chicken I've ever had. This dish had baked apples and they were the best thing I've ever eaten...period. I would have ordered them as dessert as well if I had thought about it. They were sweet but savory and magical.

Toscana-If you get Fransico you are going to be thrilled. They have gf noodles here. I usually don't like pasta but I got some as an appetizer and it was really good. Clearly, I don't know how to cook them properly at home or they have a better brand. The chicken was so tasty. He found a dessert in the back just for me and it was beautiful. It was something with all kinds of chocolate pieces. There was ice cream so I just picked around that part.

Barcelona-We left there before we ate. It just wasn't working for me-weird,strong smells and my chair was very uncomfortable. It's probably fine for everyone else.

The Grill-We ate there for lunch often but never tried at dinner. It was great. Plenty of gf choices and Armado!

We didn't get to try Basmati, Agave or Flavor Market.

We were only there 5 days and I lost 2 lbs. Being a woman-that is a big PLUS! I wish I could have stayed longer but I'd have to stay a month or more to get to my goal weight.

The only things that were not really great were the cheese sauce for the nachos that my husband had. It was the weird liquid, orange, cheese product. The daiquiri mixes weren't too great -again my husband's view as I couldn't have them. The bartender did make me my own concoction which was perfect. We don't have much to say about the bars since we're amateur drinkers.

Just FYI-The nanosecond you step into the lobby of the hotel you will overwhelmed by the smell of citronella. I thought it was an overzealous cleaning with massive amounts Pledge when we arrived but when it never abated- I asked and it's there to deter the mosquitos. A couple of the restaurants are in the same building so if it bugs you (no pun intended) just ask to be seated away from the door.

The whole experience is wonderful and relaxing. There was some music and activity by the main pool but you could go to the beach or by the lazy river if you wanted a peaceful environment.

On a final note, there was a precious kitty, between building 5 and building 6, who would love your leftovers. We called her Tomasina and she is very sweet and will let you pet her.

Do bring cash for tips because your waitstaff/maid/bartenders will appreciate it. Even if you don't they are all smiles and super friendly.

You will hate to leave. We did. Hopefully we can come back next year and try the rest of the restaurants.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

We are pleased to know that your relaxing vacation with us was highlighted by the courteous attention of our staff, resort facilities and the quality on the food, which was successfully adapted to your dietary needs.
Please be sure that Hector, Armando, and Francisco have been already congratulated for providing you an excellent service during your stay.

On the other hand, we also appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

Surrey, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

My spouse and I had our first trip outside of Canada on our honeymoon to Cancun. And WOW!!! what a wonderful experience! The staff at Excellence Playa Mujeres treated us like royalty from the moment we stepped out of our taxi to the moment we checked out. But one staff member, in particular, holds a special place in our hearts. His name is Ivan (pronounced as Eeban). We met him first at Barcelona restaurant for dinner, and was amazed by his service, his kindness, and his sense of humour. He providedd us with such great time that we found ourselves looking for him every night for dinner. Each night was a wonderful experience and he made us feel special, and made our stay in Excellence a very personal one. My spouse and I were sad to leave Excellence and Ivan behind, but cannot wait to come back. We will definitely remember him, and this beautiful resort. If you want to come to a beautiful first class resort, with impecable staff, come to Excellence Playa Mujeres and you will not be disappointed.
P.S. Remember to ask for Ivan!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!