“Outstanding Stay at Excellence Playa Mujeres” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Playa Mujeres

You added Excellence Playa Mujeres to your Saves list
Excellence Playa Mujeres
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Prolongacion Bonampak, S/N, Punta Sam | Lote Terrenos 001 MZ. 001 Sm. 003, Zona Continental, Playa Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Save Up to 25% !
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Medford, Massachusetts
“Outstanding Stay at Excellence Playa Mujeres”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We have been to the Cancun area several times and like to try different Adult only resorts. The resort scheduled us private transportation both ways. Upon arrival we where warmly greeted and our room was ready on arrival. Property was impeccably maintained and service was outstanding. We only spent one day at the pool because the beach was wonderful. BBQ at beach every day was great. Pizza at pool good also. Unfortunately we where not able to each all the restaurants but the Flavor Market for tapas was excellent along with our waiter who made good selections for us. The Italian, Lobsterhouse and French, where all wonderful with both service and food selections. Our room was cleaned promptly and turndown service every night was a nice touch also. I also liked the entertainment each night either in the lobby bar with sax player and the piano player, nice mellow music at all the venues. Good mix of age group was nice too, 30-65 year old crowd, no rock bands like some of the other resorts we stayed at. Overall the experience was wonderful and we will be back next year.

One negative I wish there where more exits out of the lazy river as we had a swim up room and it was difficult to get out of water with no stairs or ladders.

Room Tip: We where in the quiet section in Building 10 which was a good location and centrally located.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,765)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

You have seen a thousand reviews on this place(or will), but maybe a few of my general assessments will help:
1) you must determine whether you like an all-inclusive. It's perfect for a mindless vacation of sitting on the beach or in/by the pool. If so, Excellence does this very well at it's resorts.
2) Five star applies only to the resort conditions and service by the staff - all top notch. If you think "5 star food" you'll be sorely disappointed because its mass production food - think cruise food or hotel/conference center food.
3) The water is pretty but there is grass that may or may not blow in depending on wind direction. They do use a tractor 2-4 times a day to take away the excess grass if it builds up. My take on this is all in all America has the best beaches in the world, but the all-inclusive function makes up for this shortfall.
Hope this helps...it's a great resort but it is just that an all-inclusive resort in Mexico.

• Stayed July 2013
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

What can I say that hasn’t already been said? The EPM lived up to our expectations in every way possible. This was our first trip to Mexico and our first all-inclusive resort – so, were we a bit nervous? Of course! We didn’t know what to expect from this experience – would we be mobbed by the legions of timeshare sharks at the Cancun Airport? Would our Passports or money be stolen? Would we get horribly ill from drinking the water or from the food? Would we make it through customs without being searched and questioned? Worst of all – would we tip appropriately and would my “Gracias” sound too Cheeecago? (this actually kept me up at night)!

Now, some of you that are reading this are rather experienced travelers in Mexico, and I am guessing…laughing, shaking your head and tsk tsk tsking (our travel has been primarily the US, Canada & parts of Europe) – so of course, we have all heard the horror stories, the myths and legends – so yes, there was some apprehension BUT what we experienced was none of the above and only got better with staying at the EPM.

We visited the EMP from June 22nd through June 29th – and as the title states, it was for our Honeymoon. I scoured the Internet for information regarding Cancun and the EMP and most of my questions were answered through my thorough searches. However the things I wanted to know, were sometimes difficult to find, so hopefully I will help the next overly prepared traveler via my review.

Our travel agent assured us that in the 48 times she has visited Mexico, she’s never received a RED light in customs. Those that have not experienced this yet – once you exit the plane, you stand in line to have your Passport stamped, from there you pick up your luggage and after that you move through customs. Once there, you either get a green light or a red light. Green light – go, red light – search. Guess what we got? Red. My stomach dropped because I had no idea if we suddenly were going to be involved in a Brokedown Palace situation (movie reference – you’d have to have seen it to get it). Anyhow, it was no big deal. We put our luggage up on a table, the security folks were polite, wore gloves and asked if they could take a look. They did a brief search and we were on our way. Up next – the dreaded timeshare sharks. This was a cakewalk…if you just keep going, don’t make eye contact and don’t stop you are good. I warned my husband to, under no circumstances speak to anyone even if they were offering him a free XBOX, PlayStation or NFL Tickets (not that those things happen but those are EXACTLY the things he would stop for).

We were transported by a private transfer (Loomas Travel) to the Excellence and we did tip $20 US dollars but that’s only because we both apparently thought the other brought smaller bills. We normally would have tipped $5 to $10. Once at the hotel, everything you have already read is true – they take your luggage, give you a glass of some yummy libation and a cool wet towel. You are escorted to the front desk, check-in (Wendy checked us in and she was just a DOLL – so cute and sweet), given some basic information about the resort and then you are off with an escort (bellman), who takes your luggage and as you head to your room you are given more details about the restaurants, pools, bars, shops, activities and spa. This is all done with huge, kind smiles.

We had a swim-up suite in building 8. I have to agree that this was prime real-estate as you really are close to everything. We liked the swim-up suite, it was nice to be able to walk right out to the lazy river pool area but, honestly, we didn’t really utilize it like we thought. Any other room would have been just as nice, really. I think we thought we’d hang out on our little veranda, sunbathe on our loungers and have breakfast in the morning but we really didn’t – not that we couldn’t have (the humidity was unbelievable – so breakfast via room service in our room was much more enjoyable).

I would see photos of the mini bar and it looked really great and every once in-awhile, someone would post a photo of full bottles of liquor in their room. I assumed that this was for the upgraded rooms (The Excellence Club) so we were shocked that we were provided the same bottles in our room (red wine, white wine, tequila, vodka, rum & gin) – now none of these were brands I was familiar with, so I have to assume nowhere near top shelf, but it sure didn’t matter to us! These can be restocked if the bottle is empty. You’ll also find a plethora of glasses, a muddler, juices, sodas and some candy, cookies and chips.

The place is CLEAN! Very clean! We didn’t see any mold or bugs. I did receive a couple of mosquito bites, so I would warn you to bring at least one bottle of bug spray (we didn’t and I wish we would have). I’ve read that some folks found the rooms musty smelling, but our room seemed fine to us and I’ve also read that some have had rust colored water in the tub and we certainly never noticed that. Yes, the bathroom is open to the rest of the room, however, we didn’t find it a problem as we share a bathroom at home and while some bodily functions should remain private, we just would yell “earmuffs” – no big deal and we honestly just laughed about it (so, yes – if you are very uptight about this, then the bathroom will definitely bother you – I wouldn’t recommend sharing a room with your boss, in-laws, or new girl/boyfriend, just sayin’).

If you need anything, just call the front desk – they are more than accommodating. We found that our iPod clock dock didn’t work and they replaced it for us immediately. After any call to the front desk they would call back later to make sure that everything was handled well and if there was anything else we needed. You can exchange money at the front desk and even rent movies. We actually brought a couple of DVDs (not Blu-ray) with us just in case we hit any rainy spells but we were pleasantly surprised to find that you can rent them as well (they were $5 so it wasn’t exactly REDBOX but I finally got to see ‘The Impossible’ – great movie!). There are also ATMs up near the front desk, they are just in a corner where you can’t really see them.

All of the restaurants were great. My husband loved Chez Isabelle (the French Restaurant) and the Flavor Market (Tapas). I honestly don’t think I can name a favorite though I loved Agave and Spice. The Italian restaurant, Toscana didn’t really do it for me on the ambiance side but the gnocchi was delicious!!! The Lobster House and Grill are pretty much one in the same – we ate at the Grill our last night and enjoyed it. Both are outside above the main pool – you really can’t miss them and their only downfall is that they are outside. The heat really wasn’t the problem it was the damn humidity, so weigh your options – inside with AC (which is still humid) or outside. We’re early eaters so when the restaurants opened at 6p, we’d typically be there about 6:30. They never were crowded and you do not have to make reservations (no plastic wristbands either). This was actually really nice because we’d eat a leisurely dinner, have a few cocktails after and then the nightly show would start (I think 9:30p). The shows are cheesy fun, don’t expect Broadway or Cirque de Sol – just don’t. Your mantra is cheesy fun, cheesy fun, cheesy fun.

My husband made friends with Caesar at the Martini Bar (in fact he may have had a man-crush on him), where we ended up every night after dinner and before the show. Caesar would have us try different martinis and always look to see if we were enjoying them. My husband loved the chocolate martinis (he also drank he weight in Mudslides and Grasshopper Martinis) and I enjoyed the Mangolicious martini. You must try the Iceberg – no joke, refreshing and delicious. I think it’s just a Corona with a splash of frozen margarita on top – it’s a PARTY in your mouth! Heads-up, I think they use the same citrus base for their Mojitos, Margaritas, Lemon Drops (anything with a lemon/lime flavor), so these all tend to taste exactly the same, at least to me. I actually stopped ordering anything with a lemon/lime base because it was so obvious.

Anyhow, the staff, was brilliant in every way possible. Friendly, helpful and just all over wonderful. I wish, now, several weeks later I could remember everyone’s name – gah! There was a gentleman in Toscana for breakfast (Toscana is the breakfast/lunch buffet during the day), and he noticed my husband was wearing a Colorado Rockies T-shirt and he started chatting us up about Colorado. Ended up that he had lived in Denver for a few years and actually lived in the same town we just bought a house in. He was so very pleasant…I just thought of it…it was Armando! He was great!

This is rather long already isn’t it? I will leave with this:

• Try the Cocoa Loco, Mangolicious and Iceberg
• Bring lots of sunscreen (in the little shop it’s like $40 USD)
• If you forget to pick up a souvenir for someone, you can do it at the airport
• Bring at least one bottle of bug spray
• Tip only when you feel it’s necessary – we did at all meals ($3 – 4 bucks)
• At turn down service they leave you the next days “agenda” – what restaurants will be
closed (two restaurants are closed each day), what the show is, what the special drink of
the day will be, what activities are taking place and what time as well as the weather
• They only go to the Isle of Mujeres 3 days a week, so plan accordingly if you want to go
• There’s a great little vendor on the property that sells pottery – you can even paint your
own, we bought a great bowl to bring back with us
• We heard the spa was really great and if anything to do the Hydro Session
• There’s a Texas Hold’em tournament everyday (hubby participated and lost every time)
• It seems less crowded Sunday – Tuesday and then seems to get busier
• There is free WIFI in all rooms
• If you need anything, call the front desk
• We drank water at the restaurants and bottled in our room (we would occasionally see
someone ask for bottled water in the restaurants but I had to assume that they had a bad
experience someplace else because we never once felt ill)
• Room Service was really nice to have – not a ton of options but there’s plenty to eat. If
you don’t see something, ask and most likely they will accommodate
• The milk isn’t what I was used to here in the States (uber organic maybe? Goat?)
• Always get dessert after dinner! ALWAYS! It’s a vacation after all and every dessert we
had was delicious!

In a nutshell, this was an absolutely dream honeymoon and vacation. We couldn’t have asked for anything more. We don’t know if any other resort in Mexico will ever live up to the Excellence – we definitely hope to be back! Hope this review helps.

Enjoy every second!

Room Tip: Building 8 for sure!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
It is our pleasure to know that Excellence Playa Mujeres exceeded your expectations, making you feel relaxed and pampered all the time. Our commitment is to make of every guest experience, as exceptional and unique as it can be.

We were pleased to know that your relaxing vacation with us was highlighted by the courteous attention of our staff, comfort room accommodation & amenities, and enjoyable food in our restaurants. Allow me to confirm that Wendy and Armando will be congratulated for the excellent service provided.

We are looking forward to welcome you back and have another opportunity to pamper you with our service creating another experience to remember.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

This is certainly the best all inclusive we've found in Mexico. Great service, food, drinks and people. We came for a do nothing by both the beach and pool vacation, and will be back when we need another one. Main pool can get a bit loud, but the all the other pools are fine, and we spent most of our time at the club pool where Adan provided wonderful service. One mediocre meal in a week of dinners. My wife and I would suggest ignoring the bad reviews. Looking for an adventurous or authentic vacation away from tourists, there are better places in Central America and you shouldn't book around Cancun in the first place (not that there aren't activities, but they are resort/Cancun activities). Is this the Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, Ritz, etc.? No, but being very familiar with all the aforementioned I can say that the service is as good as it gets for this type of vacation and we left very happy. Simply a great, relaxing, lazy vacation destination.

Northern Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

My spouse and I celebrated our anniversary at Excellence Playa Mujeres. This was one of the best vacations we have ever had. That being said, you need to know what you want out of your vacation and what experiences and services will satisfy your needs. Otherwise, you might not find this resort to your liking.

Specifically, my spouse and I wanted, and got, most of the following:

Luxurious Room
Oceanfront Room
Outstanding Beach
Friendly Guests
Wow Factor

We wanted to avoid the crowded, party atmosphere of Cancun, and Excellence Playa Mujeres (EPM) delivered. The resort is about 20 -30 minutes north of the Hotel Zone, Clubs, Shopping and Nightlife of Cancun. If you want these things, you will have to take an expensive cab to get them.

Our good impression of EPM started at the gate. The Architecture is modern and the grounds are lush and very well landscaped. As soon as our cab pulled up, a Bellman, Mario, greeted us with, "Welcome Home" and chilled cloths to refresh us. He led us into the lobby, immediately got us cold drinks and seats and told us he would take us to check in. Within 5 minutes, we were on the way to the Excellence Club Lounge for check in.

The young ladies at check in were both charming and efficient, I wish I could remember their names, because they set the stage for what we grew to expect, fast, gracious service. Within 10 minutes, we were checked in, given a resort explanation, more drinks, food and chilled cloths and sent to lunch while we waited for our 3:00 pm room time.

We had a good lunch at the Lobster House. My spouse had the Tilapia and I had the Pork Tacos. One thing about the food at EPM: they do some things extremely well, others, not so much. the Tilapia was excellent, fresh, juicy, crisp crust. Fish at EPM is always extremely good. The Pork Tacos on the other hand were average. Don't order them. It's not bad, it's just that other things are so much better. The chips you get with the salsa are thick and not very good; skip them. The drinks are usually good if you stay away from mixes. The Strawberry Daiquiri tasted of chemicals. The mojito was amazing. A rule of thumb for food at EPM: steaks, fish, grilled chicken, things that are cooked to order are outstanding. Drinks that do not rely on a mix, outstanding.

At 2:30 pm our room was ready. We had decided to stay in an Excellence Club Two Story Rooftop Terrace Room (RTT), room 8468. It was the perfect room for us. We preordered a bed topper and found the bed to be very comfortable. Others have posted pictures of the rooms and they are true to life. The room is very comfortable and luxurious, the sitting area is comfortable. The bathroom, especially the shower, is great. Yes, there is no privacy in the toilet area; we endured. We had an amazing Ocean view. The RTT was better than we expected from the pictures. It was private, huge, and a wonderful place to spend time after the beach for a few hours before dinner. We only used the RTT in the afternoon, so while it was sunny, we had plenty of shade. We ordered drinks and floated in the plunge pool. It is about the size of a California King bed, maybe bigger and if you sit on the bottom the water comes up to your chin. We spent hours up there, one night we watched the stars from there, it was so wonderful!

We ordered room service everyday, but the last, when we decided to try the buffet. You can call the night before if you know what time you want to eat, but we wanted to sleep in and would call when we woke up. The room service staff always said it would take 45 minutes, but it usually took 40. They are friendly, prompt and quiet. We asked for our meal to be put in the XBOX and they did it very quietly. On the day we tried the breakfast buffet, we enjoyed the wide variety of food and quick friendly srvice, but neither of us thought the buffet would have lured us from breakfast through room service in our own bed.

For the most part we never went to the pools. They are beautiful, and there are many of them, but we are not pool people. We got into the main pool to say we did it and found that it is waist deep, and warm. Not our style. We ordered a drink from the swim up bar and went straight to the beach.

The beach, for us, was perfect. Yes there is sea grass on the sand and in the water, but it is not a problem for us. The sea grass looks like pine needles, but is soft. The resort has a tractor that cleans the beach three times a day. There is sea grass floating in the water, and growing on the ocean floor, and there is an occasional piece of sea weed, but nothing that bothered us. The water is clear to the ocean floor. At some times, it is warmer than you might expect, but still refreshing. We saw a starfish the size of a salad plate and a stingray jumped out of the water a few feet from us, and there are some shells. We loved all of this!

The best part of the Excellence Club beach for us: it was a two minute walk from our room, Carolina, Manuel and Maria, the beach concierges and bar server were outstanding and we never had to ask for anything, and the other guests around us were very nice. This is one of the few resorts where you do not have to play the towel game to get a chair. I get up early and am always on the beach by 8 or 8:30 am. Beach beds and loungers, with or without shade, were available all day. As soon as you picked your spot, Carolina and Manuel would set them up for you with towels and pillows and Maria would offer cold bottled water and drinks. Maria, Manuel and Carolina worked so hard for us. Maria circulated constantly to make sure you always had a drink and at 4:30 pm let you know it was last call and would get you just one more drink. One day, they set up a sushi bar, right in the beach, it was excellent. Lunch was offered on the beach, a two minute walk from our chair. Or you could go to the restaurants for lunch. One thing about the Excellence Club beach, it is only for Excellence Club guests, and they do check room numbers to enforce that. It is a low key enforcement, no one is shamed, but it means that you don't have to worry about not getting a spot here if you are in the Excellence Club. The regular beach is quite nice too, but while we were there the Excellence Club beach had a quieter, more relaxed vibe.

After spending the whole day on the beach, and hanging out on the RTT, we usually went to dinner between 6-7 pm. We never had to wait. Our first night we tried Barcelona. It was nice, but I had average Paella. I should have stuck with the fish dishes. My spouse had amazing mahi mahi. Our second night we went to Basmati and it was fantastic! Our waiter was wonderful, his name was Oscar and he was fast and friendly. My spouse had a very good chicken dish and I had the tasting menu with excellent lamb, chicken and vegetables. Basamati was our favorite place, although we also really enjoyed Chez Isabel. There we had the anniversary table with beautiful rose petals surrounding the plates. Again, we had great food and excellent service from Raul. Our final meal was at The Grill Steakhouse. We both had the Ribeye and it had great flavor. The Grill setting at night is very magical if you are seated on the railing, you can see the stars and hear the ocean.

As far as the rest of the resort, there is a very nice Cigar Bar, the Martini Bar has a nice vibe in the main lobby and the Cafe Kafe bar makes great coffee drinks.

The only negatives were either, very minor, or immediately addressed:

On our first day, the water in the shower stopped while my spouse was using it.

We had a few drinks that were not very good, including a mojito at the Grill. When we mentioned it, the mojito was immediately replaced with an excellent one.

Housekeeping tried to turn down our bed at 10 pm even though we asked her to go away several times. Once she realized what we were saying we never had a repeat problem.

Getting Ice without going through room service entails going from the fourth floor to the first.

Some other guests can be inappropriately rowdy. The hotel sent several guest services people to deal with drunk, screaming guests in the Excellence Club pool. It took some time for the guests to realize that they were disturbing everyone else, but the staff was diplomatic and firm. I was impressed by the staffs' control of the situation.

Overall, this resort delivered on every level and exceeded our expectations. Checkout took all of 2 minutes and was, as expected, fast and friendly. While we were waiting for our cab, Danielle, from guest services, came over to ask how our stay was and genuinely listened to our answers. We told her the resort was a 5+ out of 5 for us and she asked what it would take to get to a six. I was impressed by her willingness to listen to us and to take our constructive criticism, short as it was, well. Danielle is an excellent representative for the resort.

We noticed that the majority of the guests here were in their late 30's through late 60's. It is a friendly group of people, having fun, in a low key, beautiful setting. This is not a wild party atmosphere, but it is a lot of fun. We loved it and will be back.

Room Tip: We stayed in Excellence Club two story Rooftop Terrace room 8468. Excellent Oceanfront view, 2 minu...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review, and for recommending us with all Trip Advisor readers.

We were pleased to know that your relaxing vacation with us was highlighted by the courteous attention of our staff, comfort room accommodation & amenities, and enjoyable food in our restaurants with special mention to the Basmati restaurant. Allow me to confirm that Carolina, Maria, Manuel and Raul will be congratulated for the excellent service provided.

We also appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

East Meadow, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Let me first start by saying I loved this vacation spot!! Truly a "5 Star" Hotel. Compared to other beach resorts, The Excellence stands out above the rest. The beach was wonderful, and the water clear and warm. The hotel is immaculate! Everywhere was spottlessly clean. The food in each of the restaurants was delicious. The Mexican restaurant and the Barcelona were our favorites! In the Mexican restaurant, remember to get the coffee in the end of your meal that they light on fire with liquor. It's great!! The service in each of the restaurants, including all other staff members was totally outstanding! Everyone, no matter where you went said, "It's my pleasure." In particular, Martin in the Barcolona restaurant made a truly memorable experience for us on our last night there. He was pleasant & so very sweet. Also, I would like to include Manuel, the beach Concierge who made our beach experience very special. We thank him for that! He was always looking to do something for us. He was so helpful & accomodating. Always had plesant conversation with us. The most amazing thing was that Manuel new us by name! We loved Manuel!! Over all, we reafirm the "5 Star" that this hotel has earned. I highly recommend The Excellence to anyone, and would definitely go back. Oh yeah! Feeding the Iguanas was fun too! Muchas Gracias....Joe & Mariann Mariano

Room Tip: Higher floor looking toward the beach. The swim up room is very nice too, but if you want to be pri...
Broad Channel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

IF you want to go on a dream vacation,Excellence Playa Mujeres is the place!This was our fourth time at Excellence and not our last! The pools are beautiful! The restaurants are fabulous,our favorite Agave,the food was amazing,you must sit outside under the stars,and the staff are fun,fast and will get whatever you ask for,I am a vegetarian they made me some delicious dinners,juat tell them how you like your food cooked and its done perfect! Lots of fun activites going on during the day,you must make a monkey drink, fun! fun! Also French restaurant was also amazing! We would suggest Excellence club,private beach,where you will meet Carolina,by the beach,Lidia by the pool,Adan who is behind the bar,all are just hard working,lovely friends who make your stay so relaxing and fun,you will love the private beach soooo relaxing,the water is beautiful,clean,the resort is kept spotless!! And you must meet Mariana Lojero Chief Concierge anything you need or would like to do she goes above and beyond to make it happen!! We love you Mariana!! also upon arrival you should see Vilma at the Concierge desk she also does a Wonderful helping you. Thanks again to all the staff, one more thing make sure to see the shows they are outstanding!

Room Tip: room 8366 great ocean view
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Mujeres
The Beloved Hotel
#2 of 5 in Playa Mujeres
4.5 of 5 stars 2,193 reviews
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!