“Good versus Bad” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Playa Mujeres

You added Excellence Playa Mujeres to your Saves list
Excellence Playa Mujeres
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Prolongacion Bonampak, S/N, Punta Sam | Lote Terrenos 001 MZ. 001 Sm. 003, Zona Continental, Playa Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
15% Off Room Rate
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
“Good versus Bad”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Good Points -
Just returned from Excellence on 4th October. I travelled with friends who between us have expierenced other All Inclusive resorts both in Europe and the Carribean.
This hotel has the Wow! Factor.
Staff - Take their roles in making your holiday perfect ,seriously and with pride. Always cheerful and accomadating and its not false!
The time and effort they take to prepare for the events in the evening and lunchtime is exhausting to watch.
Room Service is excellent and available 24 hours - no charge.
I was requested to complete a comments form one breakfast morning.I filled mine in and commented on a lack of a non slip mat for the bathroom BE WARNED and no tonic water in mini bar. Both items were in my room next day so they do read them.
Food - Top notch food at all the restaurants. Breakfast can be buffet style if you want.Restaurants that stood out for me were the Grill and the Italian hence return trips to both.
Lunch time meals can be as casual as you want with a daily Bar-b-e on the beach or fresh made pizzas from the bar to a sit down from three other restaurants.
Pool scene - Take your choice ,it can be as quiet as you like or mixing in with the crowd round the Pool Bar.The Lazy River is just that ..relax on one of the Pool rubber floats with a cocktail in hand and just drift with the flow!
The Pool Bar can be a bit raucous at times but all good humoured.Cant think what could make people be like that.?..must be the Excellent cocktails!
Several hammocks and whirl pools available.
Beach towels are constantly refreshed by staff and laid on the ample supply of sunbeds.
Acivities on going if you wish during the day.
Dont miss the Reggae band that play once a week for a hour round the Pool...you will be singing!
Rooms... Best I have had for a two week holiday.Double wet room, walk in dressing room, 42" LCD, leather sofas, 4 poster bed, Jaccuzi, large double day bed on balcony with table and chairs, mini bar plus a shelf of 1 litre spirits, coffee machine, and snacks.
Entertainment - Could not fault this at all. You will receive each night a news letter - after your turndown service - which will outline what is on the next day, weather forcast, special spa offers, etc. thought this was a good touch of communication for guests
Beach - At times will have a band of weed by waters edge. Hotel do make every effort to clear and is not a major problem.Water sports galore. Good bar service.
Management Team - You seem to have it just right. You listen, take on board what is being suggested and act on your guests best interests at all times.
Bad Points - None really to write of. Without being really nit picking I could not find any. I suggest you go to this hotel yourselves and if you do find any let us all know via Trip Advisor.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,549)
Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

My husband and I first visited this resort in January of this year and were so impressed, we returned with friends in September! We were greeted with a warm “welcome home”, cold towels, champagne and immediately escorted to the desk. I had sent a request to the concierge before to have rooms close to our friends and they put us directly next door…definite perk! They apologized that our rooms were not ready yet (we arrived around noon) but gave us a small beeper, said to grab some lunch and it should be ready shortly. We ate at Toscana buffet , showed our friends around the resort, enjoyed beverages at the beautiful lobby bar and our rooms were ready around 3. The bellman got all of our luggage, escorted us to our rooms and we were pleasantly surprised to find champagne, Excellence polo shirt, hat, a welcome letter from the resort manager, and beach bag waiting in our room for our arrival. The best part…our friends had the same thing! It was a wonderful touch!!!! A few of my observations are below.

BEACH & POOL
The beach was always clean, clear, warm and beautiful! They clean it every day to get rid of the seaweed but we didn’t find it a problem at all. Each day they had a different food served on the beach (one day fajitas, one day grilled seafood, one day burgers, etc). They also have a brick oven pizza right by the beach that only took about 10 minutes. That was awesome to walk right up and get a snack every day! Our server every day was Paola and she was awesome!!! We never went without a drink and we tipped her each time (she deserved it!!!). If you are on the beach, definitely find her..she’s a doll!!! We only spent one day in the main pool as we enjoyed the beach so much. The service at the pool was spotty and slow but in their defense, it was very crowded during the day and we didn’t mind getting out to get a drink now and then.

RESTAURANTS
Toscana was a huge favorite for us! We ate the buffet numerous times, the selection is so phenomenal, it was hard to choose sometimes! The Lobster house service was very slow but the food was great for dinner and breakfast and the views can’t be beat. The Flavor Market was fantastic food but it took over an hour to get our tapas. Agave was just so so this time but I am used to the Tex-Mex type Mexican restaurant so I really shouldn’t complain. Spice was probably my favorite! We went one night to the hibachi (arrived 10 minutes before 7 to assure a seat) and one night at the restaurant. The service was impeccable, food was absolutely delicious! Chez Isabelle was tasty and elegant but the selection was a little small for me. All the restaurants gave us wonderful service and most without a major hiccup. Room service takes about 30 minutes and have a wonderful selection at all hours of the day and night but as long as you keep that in mind, you won’t have a worry. I can’t imagine anyone having a hard time finding a favorite during their stay!

ROOMS
Our room was spotless! They cleaned around 10 each day (we were always out of our rooms during that time anyway). One day, our mini-bar hadn’t been stocked but one call to the concierge and someone was at our door in 5 minutes to re-stock us. We also had a swim up room and the only complaint would be the water in the lazy river was a tad too warm for my liking. But don’t get me wrong, we lounged in there a lot! There was a very loud, drunk, obnoxious group of people that kept floating around the river but I suspect security or management asked them to quiet down since they didn’t last long. This was totally not the resort’s fault, just an observation of some people on vacation. Each night at turndown, they leave a list of the next day’s activities, daily special drinks, list of restaurants that are closed that day and the entertainment schedule. We loved looking over it each night and it was so helpful in planning the next day’s events!

ENTERTAINMENT
This is one of many areas where the Excellence definitely shines! Each night was a different show! Our favorites were the Madonna tribute and Michael Jackson show. We were also there on Mexican Independence day and they went all out! The courtyard was completely decorated, dinner was served and they show was incredible! My recommendation would be to definitely get there early and sit outside the theater in the Café Kafe area…the theater was too warm for me when so many people were all seated. They also had a wonderful 2 person band that played before and after all the shows…they were great! No better feeling that sitting out under the stars, enjoying our favorite beverages and listening to some awesome music!

SPA
We booked facials and couples massages when we arrived. While the regular prices were indeed expensive to me, they run daily specials that were very reasonable! They request you arrive 1 hour before your appointment, to enjoy the hydrotherapy area…we highly recommend this service!!! You go from saunas, to water massage, to steam and vapor rooms to fountains. I could go on and on about this but it was definitely worth it! The facial was wonderful and relaxing, as the massage was.

All in all, this resort is beyond wonderful and exceeded all our expectations! Our friends were totally impressed and we all can’t wait to return!!! I would not hesitate in any way recommending this resort to anyone….it is very appropriately named the Excellence for a reason!!!

Nashville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We recently took a trip to Cancun with 3 other couples and stayed at the Excellence resort. We upgraded to the "Club", and that was well worth the additional expense. This resort is fabulous. The check-in was easy, and the staff was very helpful. Our room was beautiful! The seating area and outdoor lanai/patio were great. We were on the first floor, so if we walked about 15 feet out of our room, we were in the pool. The pools were wonderful and wrapped all around the resort. Every day there was great food and entertainment on the beach. The restaurants were all terrific and no reservations were required, which was nice. The beach area was the least attractive part of the resort...somewhat rocky and quite a bit of seaweed. However, the beach crews painstakenly cleaned it every day. We did not care, as we stayed at the pool all day. The beverage service was great, and the drinks were all very tasty!

In short, I would highly recommend this resort. It was great for a large group or for a couples' get-away! We would definitely return!

Room Tip: Stay in the club section
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
gadogs06
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

This review is a little dated but well deserved. Me and my girlfriend stayed at EPM back in July and had an amazing time. I'll try and keep this short but detailed. First I want to say that I have stayed at Valentin Imperial and Cancun Palace (Now Hard Rock Palace) and EPM far beat both of these resorts.

Service: For the most part the service was great. Waiter service at dinner was hit or miss but who's in a hurry anyway..its vacation. Bar service was always great at the pool bar or lobby bar. We would go play cards in the lobby in the late afternoon to escape the heat and each day the bartender would immediately bring me a drink before I could even get the cards out. He kept them coming until we left. Great service

Grounds: Wonderful. Everything is within a short walking distance which is nice and everything is well kept.

Rooms: We stayed in the Excellence Club Private Rooftop Terrace which was by far the best room I have ever stayed in. I will say that we didn't really use the Excellence Club extra amenities but these rooms come with the best view and that alone was well worth it. Our room had a private rooftop overlooking the ocean with our own plunge pool and not one but two beds. We enjoyed it so much that we slept outside the first night on the king size bed and woke up to a wonderful sunset. Can't beat that. The downstairs of the room was also very nice. The only complaint I would have is that its was never as cool as I wanted it to be. I'm very hot natured so I like it cooler than most and I wish it got cooler at night. Wonderful shower too looking into the living room. You can watch tv and shower at the same time.

Food: I think the food was above average for an all inclusive resort. Remember comparing an all inclusive resort to an 5 star resort in the states are not the same. I know what to expect and EPM delivered better than what was to be expected. Plenty of variety. My girlfriend is a vegetarian and she had plenty of options to choose from.

Beach: We only stayed at the beach one day. The seaweed was rather bad and they kept driving back and forth trying to clean it which left a horrible smell. Lucky for us we enjoy the pool atmosphere or meeting people and socializing better anyways so this wasn't a big deal to us but I can see how it would bother some. The beach itself was very nice and the service was good but that smell turned me off. Could have just been that day...who knows.

I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone. Tips...look at the hotel map before you select your room choice. Rooms near the main pool can get noisy during the day and room near the theater can be noisy at night so depending on your preference choose accordingly. Excellence Club rooms are the only TRUE ocean front rooms. If you want to pay the upgrade get the rooftop terrace. Its well worth it. Its nice to be able to go up to your own private room and enjoy a afternoon drink in your own pool. If you want hibachi you have to make reservations at 6:00pm that day. Many people did not know this. Don't miss out on this wonderful place. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Splurge and upgrade to the Rooftop Terrace. Its well worth it. Excellence Club rooms are the only re...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I LOVE Excellence Playa Mujeres! Where do I start, there are SO MANY GREAT AMMENITIES that are offered. The rooms were by far some of the best I've ever seen, they rate in my top travels. I stayed in the two story suite which had a roof top deck w/ large jacuzzi and plush lounges on the 2nd story with great views (the ocean behind us and pool/full resort view in the front of us). The first floor with bed, bath, living room, a smaller indoor jacuzzi which has the capability of being opened to the 1st flr outdoor deck with additional lounges. Everything was top notch and clean, not one complaint and I am hard to please. Our friends had a swim up suite which was nice as well. They had personal lounges on their deck as well as lounges directly in front of the pool. Their suite was really awesome cause you could order room service/drinks and still enjoy being poolside or in the privacy of your room w/o leaving your partner. It was WONDERFUL!

Besides the rooms, the entertainment was PHENOMENAL!!!!! Normal resort entertainment is just lame but these are actual shows u typically pay to go see and with it being inclusive made me love Excellence even more. The Michael Jackson show by far was the best show EVER! I was exhausted from a tour I did early but still had to get out my seat and jam with the show! There was also a wonderful cirque show, comedy, etc. Even the worse show was better then any other resort show I've seen and I travel 3x's a yr. This sets them apart from any resort.

Food was good, not great due to everything seemed to come out a little cool. At one point our entire table sent food back to be reheated but the flavor was there. Best breakfast buffet I've had at any resort, 5 stars! Grounds were beautiful, drinks were awesome. Some bar tenders were more awesome then others but that's everywhere. Bike riding, kayaking, so much to do. Even had a karaoke night club which we tore down. There was a mix of all ages and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. Staff was very pleasant and eager to please. I can go on and on! Only did one tour which was the Catamaran tour w/snorkeling and parasailing. Highly recommend but let me warn, its an all day tour. I CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK!

Room Tip: If u want to be near the pool, get the swim up suite. You can jump directly into the pool outside of...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Excellence Playa Mujeres was phenominal. The staff is extremely friendly and attentive. I couldn't have asked for better.

The facility is very clean and the staff do a great job making sure it stays that way.

Food and drinks are delicious. This resort has 11 restaurants to chose from (asian, french, mexican, american, indian, mediterranean, tappas, etc) and the food is great. Even on the beach, someone comes around to make sure you get a drink if you need one. There's also a "drink of the day" for a little variety.

The facility is also very safe. Our driver had to pass through 3 security gates just to get to the front doors of the resorts. We never felt unsafe or uncertain while we were there.

The Mille Spa was spectacular. Very clean, very relaxing. Try the AquaWellness!

We used Lomas Travel for booking all of our excursions around Cancun and beyond. They provide excellent customer service (our advisors were Adrian and JJ). I would absolutley recommend using them for any trips you plan outside of the resort. They are centrally located in the lobby and available during regular business hours. Their drivers are also fantastic- safe, courteous, great customer service.

I would HIGHLY recommend this resort for a honeymoon, anniversary, or just a great vacation getaway!

Midland, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

My husband just got back from our first all inclusive vacation. We were amazed by this place. They greet you with a smile, glass of champagne, and a cold towel as you enter. The main lobby is sparkling clean and smells like essential oils or something. We were in the Excellence Club so we were whisked away to the Excellence Lounge for a "private" check in. We only visited the lounge this one time. The room is just as perfect as the pictures on the website. We were so excited! The food was delicious! Room service was always delivered within 30min. We we enjoyed the shows every night. The activities director and his team are so nice. My husbands birthday was the 2nd day we were at the resort and we came into our room and they had decorated the bed with balloons and streamers and left him a chocolate cake. We were surprised because we had not mentioned his birthday. Someone had just noticed and that kind of attention to detail and service is hard to find.

We had decided to do a few excursions outside of the hotel but cancelled our 3rd one because everything we wanted to do is soooo far away. This is NOT a bad thing depending on what you WANT in a vacation. People who don't want to be near the "hotel zone" and just hang out at the resort... THIS is your place!!! If you like to rent a car or explore the city of Cancun or the surrounding areas you might get annoyed with the drive. We visited Xcaret and it was like a 2 hour drive each way (plus it was lame don't recommend it).

We did get a front row seat to a fire at "The Grill" restaurant one night. The fryer was on fire and it was not under control. It was contained but no one knew how to get it out. There was no sprinkler system in any of the restaurants or the lobby that we could see. There ARE sprinkler systems in the rooms. We were not impressed with the knowledge of the employees and/or kitchen staff on how to deal with a grease fire. I was convinced that someone was going to get seriously hurt. It took probably 5 fire extinguishers and it still was not out. I think they ended up throwing sand in it. No one was hurt but the fryer but it is worrisome that no one knew how to handle such a thing. It took entirely to long to get it out period.

My only complaint would we about the mattresses on the beds. I was shocked to see how uncomfortable and hard they were. They are extremely firm. Not my thing. When you see the pics of the beautiful bedroom online it made me imagine a big fluffy bed with feather pillows. This was not the case. I did see after a few days that there is a "pillow menu" with options for the pillows, but I didn't bother.

We WILL be back to this resort and look forward to checking our the others. We probably would not do the Excellence Club again because we didn't really use any of the stuff. The private beach area, pool, bar etc might be nice during PEAK season when it's packed, but we wanted to be near the action. The private pool and beach are is secluded from where the main pool area is. Our preference is to be near the music, people, pool bar, volley ball, pizza bar etc. As far as the "top shelf bottles" in your room. I am pretty sure you can request anything you want to your room. I could be wrong. Everyone get bottles in their room but with Excellence Club you get Absolute vodka instead of Smirnoff, Saphire gin instead of Beefeater, Don Julio tequila instead of Jose Quervo, Johnny Walker Black label whiskey instead of Jim Beam. I am pretty sure if you call you can get anything you want. Some friends that we made requested a bottle of Crown Royal and they got one. They were also the Excellence Club though... I dunno. I loved all the mixed drinks. I can drink other stuff at home. The "IceBurg" is great but I also recommend the Electric Lemonade, Strawberry Lemonade, Mudslide, Pineapple Martini, and Excellence Coffe (@Cafe Kafe). I was disappointing that the juices seem to be a watered down mix. I personally would rather pay more money to have real juice or even juice concentrate for mixing than paying more for the top shelf liquors.

Room Tip: Building 8 with an ocean view overlooks the . Next time I will choose building 7 with a pool view be...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!