“Amazing Honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Playa Mujeres

Save Saved
You added Excellence Playa Mujeres to your Saves list
Excellence Playa Mujeres
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Prolongacion Bonampak, S/N, Punta Sam, Playa Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 20% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Playa Mujeres
Letchworth, United Kingdom
“Amazing Honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

My wife and I celebrated our honeymoon here from 26 August to 10 September 2012 and couldn't really have asked for any more from our 2 weeks. The resort certainly lives up to it's name and is a perfect choice for anyone celebrating a honeymoon or anniversary or just a romantic getaway.

There's no point in repeating what previous reviewers have said - suffice to say that the staff and facilities at EPM deserve every ounce of praise. Some of the Mediterranean all inclusive hotels should really come and see how the Mexicans do customer service - they could learn a thing or too. The all inclusive really is all inclusive - top brand drinks available at any time you want. There's no buffet in the evening - instead 9 a la carte restaurants are available (with no reservations needed) and if you really wanted you could order the whole menu.

The food was top notch. Our favourite restaurants were the French and the Grill - mainly for their fantastic steaks! Even by British standards, the curries at the Indian restaurant were pretty good - although on our second visit we came to realise that the curries all seemed to taste very similar. The Asian restaurant was really nice too - the Thai dishes were much nicer than the Chinese dishes. The Mexican and the Italian were good but nothing to shout about. The Flavour Market was just a bit weird - some very strange combinations of tastes! We didn't visit the Lobster House or Barcelona so can't comment on these.

The buffet breakfasts and lunches was fantastic. The desserts on offer at lunch were to die for. If you didn't want to leave the pool side at lunch, the snack pizzas from the sol bar were very very nice. Quite often there'd be some food on offer on the beach - the BBQ with the live band playing made for a great afternoon. My mouth is now watering recalling all the great food we had!

We stayed in a standard junior suite on the third floor of block 5 - overlooking the lovely lazy river. There was nothing standard about the room though - it was huge and the bed is the most comfotable bed I've ever slept in! The rooms are cleaned daily and there's also a turn down service in the evening where the maid comes and prepares the bed and recleans the bathroom area! Now that is service! The guys that came to restock the mini bar were a bit forgetful sometimes but once we started leaving them a little tip each day we were overrun with Snickers bars and Oreo biscuits :-)

The shower in the rooms are amazing and it's now my life's ambition to have a shower like that in my own house, never mind a massive hot tub and a bed on the balcony! We were more than happy with our 'bog-standard' room but as a treat we decided to splash out $160 and upgrade on our final night to a roof top terrace suite. The hotel indicated we would be able to move about 3pm but it wasn't until about 5pm that we finally got into our new room and as it was getting a bit late in the day I was beginning to wonder whether it was actually worth the money. As it turns out it was definitely worth it - we had an amazing final night and the following morning we ordered a room service breakfast and relaxed on the terrace and in the little roof top pool before it was time to checkout at noon. Whatever room type you select the dimensions of the room are the same - the rooftop terrace just added something a little extra. I'm not sure a swim up room is worth the upgrade though as it seemed to me you wouldn't get much privacy as the pools are free for anyone in the hotel to use - others may disagree though.

We didn't go Excellence Club as it didn't seem like you got that much more for your money - a few more private areas here and there. We were pleasantly surprised to find that all rooms including the standard suites had free wi-fi.

Our stay was so relaxing. We took advantage of a honeymooner's discount at the spa and had a couples massage. The whole spa area is immaculate and has an air of tranquility but be warned that it is quite expensive - probably more so than many 5 star spa hotels in England.

The nightly shows seemed pretty good although we normally watched from the back by the Kafe Kafe bar. Some nights though we were so chilled out that we were tucked up in bed by 11.

During the day we never had trouble finding a sun lounger round the pool. If you wanted a particular position by the pool or if you wanted one of the big double beds you probably needed to get out there by 9am, but if you're not too fussy you can normally just rock up at any time and have no problems. The resort did seem quite busy too - particularly during our second week.

We had plans to do a couple of excursions but as it turned out, we were so chilled out we didn't want to ruin it by spending 4 hours of a day sat on a bus. We did however take ourselves to the ferry port for the 20 minute journey over to Isla Mujeres. We hired a golf buggy for the day at 500 pesos (about £25) and toured the island on it. The First Choice rep at the hotel had given us some good advice on things to see and do and the buggies were great fun - these are proper roads you're driving on with buses and taxis overtaking you! It's definitely worth the trip over - if only to pick up some cheap sun cream (it's about $30 at the hotel).

The guests at EPM seemed to be a mix of American, Canadian and Brits. We braved the 10 hour flight from London - flying with Thomson / First Choice which wasn't so bad, although I do think their meals / entertainment options have gone a bit downhill in recent years. The hotel is 20 minutes north of Cancun so it takes about 40 minutes from the airport but the transfers were pretty efficient (it's a shame the same couldn't be said for Cancun airport on arrival - this was carnage to put it mildly!).

For anyone coming from England it's a good idea to bring a mix of Mexican Pesos and US Dollars. The Pesos are better for any shopping and also for the departure tax (payable when flying with one of the UK tour operators) - you seem to get a better exchange rate when compared with the dollar. The dollars on the other hand are better for frequent tips as the lowest Mexican note is 20 pesos which is about $1.50. Reading previous reviews people were saying it was difficult to get small change for tips at the hotel. This is the case if you are asking reception or at the spa but if you ask any of the pool or restaurant waiters they will move Heaven and Earth to get you some dollar bills as obviously it will benefit them (just remember to leave them something for their efforts though!).

One final tip would be to bring plenty of sun cream. We took 3 bottles with us and they lasted about 9 days - we then had to buy more locally but as mentioned earlier, this is very expensive at the shop within the hotel. It might also be an idea to bring sun screen containing insect repellant. During the first couple of days we had a few rain showers and this brings out the mosquitos during the day. Strangely, we found we got more bites during this time than any of the evenings sat outdoors.

All in all we couldn't have asked for a better honeymoon. Even though the hotel is full of couples, the service from the staff makes you feel very special. Everyone will go out of their way to make sure you are having an amazing time - this was epitomised when we were waiting in reception for our transfer bus to back to the airport and the bell-boy brought us over some farewell glasses of champagne. It's little gestures like that, that make Excellence Playa Mujeres stand head and shoulders above any other all inclusive hotel I have stayed in before.

We will definitely return for an anniversary sometime in the not-too-distant future. By the sounds of it though, First Choice no longer have a contract with EPM from next year which is a massive shame. Hopefully it won't be forgotten about by other UK tour operators.

Room Tip: Blocks 2 to 6 will be the quietest. Blocks 1 and 7 are closest to the entertainment, restaurants and...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

5,530 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,861)
Albany, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

First, I went here in February of 2010. I just never wrote a review. I had never been to an all inclusive, I had also never been to Mexico. I probably won't do an all inclusive again and Mexico isn't really on my travel radar. My new wife and I arrived and were initially very impressed. Very grand lobby, nice desk people, it was a very nice building. We were shown to our room and were also impressed. We opted for one of the large rooms with the rooftop terrace and private soak pools. In order to avoid rambling on I will just run down a list of what we liked and didn't like. Some of this was our fault for not knowing some not so much.

1- Food, was actaully decent. Not great but just not bad. This was one thing I was very concerned about. I had heard all sorts of things about all inclusive food. The variety was ok, we were there for 7 nights and it had all gotten old by the last night. They are never all open, so you can miss a place if you aren't there long enough.

2- Room service was very good. We had fresh fruit and danish with coffee brought up. It was nice that they could just slide it in to a box and you could avoid having someone in your room. Very nice touch.

3- The room, was good. It had everything we needed. The rooftop terrace we were in had a very leaky pool so there was a constant puddle on the tile, a big one. It was a little annoying. The water in the pool was freezing. I can handle cold ocean water, this was really cold. We really couldn't even use it. The patio was however incredible and huge, private, and had a great view.

4- The pools - heated? I don't think so. They were freezing cold. You couldn't even use the swim up bar. It was emtpy all day as was the pool because it was too cold to swim in. The weather was kind of crappy for us so being hot was never an issue. When the sun did come out we would run to the pool. If they are heated like they say they are the heaters weren't working that week. It had to be 65-68 degrees?

5- The beach - no good. That is all i have to say, it was no good. Small, not groomed, all sorts of crap in the water. Not what I pictured.

6- The staff - very friendly. Nothing over the top, but they were nice. They gave us an extra night as we lost two to travel issues.

If I had it to do over again I wouldn't go here. It was ok for us as the time but I will not return and I can't say I would suggest it to a friend looking for a place to go. If you are an all inclusive person I guess that is fine. I felt trapped and I didn't feel trapped in paradise.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

This resort really is excellence! I want to plan my trip for my bday and nothing seems to compare to this resort. I have had such an amazing experience twice at Excellence that I'm scared to go anywhere else! :-/

I went on my honeymoon and our room was amazing! We had two balconies and one could fit 100 people outside I think! Haha It was huge with our own private mini pool with shower and sun beds. Just fabulous ! Our room was beautiful ! I do wish the bathroom-toilets were more private. Nothing like ruining a little romance like hearing your partner having troubles after Mexican food and too much hot sauce. Haha. Yikes! Don't let this scare you away because it really is the only thing not perfect about the place.

The food was yummy yummy ! Not one bad experience! The drinks of course are super and always available to get you crazy fun. Hehe ;). Punta Cana excellence had more special drinks to offer. They always had Coconuts ready to pour drinks in, but here you had to wait until a certain hour of the day and they ran out fast. So more coconuts please! Lol :-) The service is a little slower then Punta Cana but not a problem.

We made so many friends here and had so much fun! The grounds are beautiful ! My favorite was the hammocks over the pools. Love!!!

You really have to go here. You will love it! I think it's worth getting the Excellence Club upgrade for better rooms and better service overall. You are treated like kings and queens !

Room Tip: Go with the Two story rooftop terrace with pool. It really was worth it!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Mill, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

This is an adults-only all-inclusive resort that is out of this world. We had SUCH a great time when we visited for 5 days in June with 2 other couples.
We booked an Excellence Club Junior Suite Oceanfront and were definitely happy with that decision. The view was phenomenal, and the upgrades were well worth it. The upgraded toiletries and liquor were great. We wound up bringing 4 sets of toiletries back home because we liked them so much - it smells AMAZING! The beach area alone is well worth the upgrade. The chairs are nicer, there are more waiters per palapa, and towels are available on the beach rather than back at the pool. The beach was great, just like everywhere else we've traveled to in Mexico. We love the Mexican coast - we've been 4 times now :-)
It took about 45 minutes to get to the resort from the airport. We always use USA transfers as our means of travel. They are reasonably priced, always on time, and extremely professional. We would highly recommend them.
Check in was quick, and I think part of it had to do with booking the Excellence Club. We were immediately whisked away to the EC lounge and received private check-in.
The food was really good. The first night we went to the Mediterranean restaurant, Barcelona. My hubby and I both got the Greek salad - very good; and we also both ordered the paella - really good and great presentation. I ordered a Mexican coffee for dessert - IT WAS FANTASTIC!! The waiter lit brandy on fire and poured it back and forth, putting on a private show for the hubby and I :-) He added ice cream, coffee, and Kahlua and rimmed the glass with brown sugar. It was so good. The second night we went to the Indian restaurant, Basmati. That was BY FAR the best food we had on the trip, but BEWARE: IT TOOK FOREVER!!! I think that we spent 2 or 3 hours at dinner. They started with naan, which was very good, then we had appetizers. My hubby got some kind of chicken, I got the samosas and they were perfect. For dinner we each got the Chicken Tikka Masala - IT WAS PHENOMENAL!! It took us forever, and while we were waiting, we saw a couple leave because they waited about 10 minutes and still didn't have drinks. I don't know what the deal was, but if you're patient...make sure you visit the Indian restaurant, you won't be disappointed with the food. The boys wanted to wear shorts to dinner, so we opted for The Lobster House, don't waste your time. The food was mediocre. I got the grilled lobster, and it was OK, but certainly not as good as the food we had at Barcelona or Basmati. It was pretty hot, too, because the restaurant is open air and closest to the beach. But, the guys got to wear shorts so we were happy :-) The last night, we went to Chez Isabelle, the Italian restaurant. It got some sort of chicken canelloni and it was good.
Breakfast and lunch were really good - we did the buffet for breakfast every day, the made to order omelets are great, and the French toast is out of this world.
We spent our days on the beach and ate lunch outside. When we got there on day one, we ate at the restaurant near the pool/beach for lunch. I had shrimp tacos and they were GREAT. Our second day they had a Mexican Fiesta set up outside, and we got chicken and steak tacos for lunch with rice, beans, and grilled veggies, guacamole, etc. It was all set up on the beach and really good! The third day our friends arrived and we had pizzas from the pizza oven near the main pool. They were really good - especially the Mexican pizza with the huge jalapenos :-) Fourth day they set up a party again on the beach with paella. It started POURING around 11, we all hopped in the ocean with our Corona lights and waited for it to slack off. After about 20 minutes, we wrapped up in towels, and stood under the tent eating paella. We were hungry again around 3, and it was still raining, so we went to the swim up pool (where the other two couples were staying) and ordered room service. It was good and what you'd expect from room service.
The shows were pretty good. We enjoyed the magic show the first night - he was GREAT at slight of hand tricks. We watched part of the Michael Jackson show and it was good. We skipped the Mexican Folklore dancing - just not a fan of that kind of thing.
And for a couple of other miscellaneous tips: check a bag and pack plenty of sunscreen. It is cheaper to pay the $25 fee than pay $40 a bottle for sunscreen. The bars and restaurants close at 4, make sure you eat and drink before then because they don't open back up until 6. Book an oceanfront room - the view when you wake up in amazing :-) And the balcony was great, too. And Excellence Club if you're traveling for a romantic trip is a MUST. We definitely enjoyed the upgrades the days we were there without our friends. If you're going as a group, just book rooms together, no need for an upgrade.
Overall we had a GREAT time and would definitely go back for a second or third time. If you're looking for a relaxing, outstanding resort and vacation this is your place :-)

Room Tip: upgrade to excellence club!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this Excellence Playa Mujeres Resort March 5, 2012 for 4 nights it was to celebrate my 50th Birthday and we did put that on the reservation. I did talk with the staff (concierge service-they emailed me), they told us that since it was my b-day that I would get a small cake to celebrate but that never happen. The trip did not feel special at all, this has not happen at the other resort we have stayed at for a special occasion or just for vacation they went out of there way to make sure we had everything we need and were happy with the service, etc. Not one person ask how our stay was the entire time we were there, some other things but I don't want to waste my time and go into detail. We stayed in an Excellence Club Two Story Rooftop Terrace Suite w/Hydro Spa Pool – Ocean Front, if I was ever to go back to this resort I would not stay in this room category or get the excellence club upgrade its not worth the extra money you pay. We enjoyed the resort grounds “very nice” the room and the spa . We were not impressed with this resort and if we were to stay here ever again it would be in one of the inexpensive accommodations and not to celebrate any special occasion. We have stayed in Sandals Resorts – Jamaica-Ocho Rio, Negril, & St. Lucia, Dreams Resorts – Cancun Mexico, H10 Resort – Cancun Mexico, The Reserve Paradisus Palma Real – Punta Cana, and NCL Cruise's, we have stayed at some of these resorts multiple times because we got amazing service, all the way around. We were disappointed but we still made the best of our time at the resort and it was just ok. Maybe they just had an off week, were under-staffed, etc.

Room Tip: Go with the inexpensive rooms they are just as nice and you don't pay all that extra money.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Whitehaven, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from the Excellence Playa Mujeres and stayed here for 2 weeks for our honey moon.
Firstly, I would like to say you will have a good time here, it is a very good resort, I just have a few minor niggles and my experience is probably different due to our visit from the previous year at the other Excellence resort at Rivera Cancun, so a lot of my review is a comparison to this other resort.

Before we arrived at the hotel, we were advised after booking that because we had secured a good rate for the trip, we would not get all of the items usually included in the honeymoon package. This being, the beach dinner and the couples massage. I was a little put out at this, after all, this was our honeymoon, I only expect to have one honeymoon in my lifetime and I was expecting to be made a fuss of and for them to pull out all of the stops, so I was less than impressed to hear this. I would expect the cut to be passed onto the travel agents commission rate rather than having cuts passed onto the guests! We did email them and express our disappointment before we arrived but they refused to budge on this matter. As we value these special things, we decided to book the beach dinner anyway which costs an extra $200, they did however, give us a 15% discount.

When we arrived we were greeted warmly and told “welcome home” and were given champagne and cold face cloths which was very nice. We were taken to the Excellence Club check in and told that we had been upgraded to an ocean front room, when we had in fact booked, an ocean front room! We were a little taken aback to hear that they had our booking as anything other than the ocean front room in their system to begin with!
You have to understand that we had emailed them a lot prior to arrival to make sure they had all of the information required and ready to hand, so we were surprised that there was confusion over some things.
Anyway, from here we were taken to our room which we were very happy with. We had already requested a mattress topper as some of the other reviews suggested and found the bed to be very comfortable.

The overall service around the pools during the day, is very good. Waiters regularly bring you drinks and if you are in the Excellence club areas also fruit. You can also order from The Grill menu in these areas and they will bring to you at the pool or beach, however, they don’t advertise this service very well. The food at the beach is very good, we enjoyed the fresh fish which they grill to order and the paella was also very nice. They also wheel a trolley round the other pool areas with tacos or paella and also ice lollies. The pizza at the Sol bar is also very good.
We were slightly disappointed with lunch at The Grill in comparison to last year at ERC. The chicken wings were not spicy but fried and the nachos came without chilli. It was all very bland and we didn’t bother going back for lunch and ate down at the beach from there on.

The restaurants we preferred the most were Spice, Basmati, Chez Isabelle and was pleasantly surprised with the Italian, Toscana (order the lamb!). Spice although named Spice, lacked any spice, but the food was still tasty. Although we found the service here on our 2nd visit to be quite poor, although they were busy. Our water didn’t get re-filled or my wine glass and trying to get some ones attention to ask for this proved difficult! This also happened at the Mexican. I understand they get busy but maybe there should be more staff on in order to cope? Basmati was also very good, again you can be really bold in terms of spice, you can order the vindaloo and it wont blow your head off like it would in the UK! However all of the food is again really flavoured well and waiters Caesar and Oscar do a great job.

We didn’t really use the concierge service much apart from confirming the times for our beach dinner and my husband’s birthday dinner (we had booked dinner in the wine cellar at Chez) and included in the honeymoon package was a romantic dinner where they decorate your table and you get a bottle of house wine at a restaurant of your choice. For the beach dinner they asked us to choose the menu we wanted, when we had in fact previously done this via email so we were surprised that we had to do this again. We were told to be in the Martini bar by 7.15 to meet for this. The romantic dinner we were told we should have been given a card with the details written inside, but we were not, so they gave it to us then and we told them we chose the Lobster house for this and selected a time.
When we turned up for our beach dinner we sat at the Martini Bar and ordered a drink, but no one was there to meet us. We waited until after 7.30 and still no one was there, so we went up stairs to reception in case we had missed them! They said someone will be there in a minute and to be fair they were, but it would have been nice for them to have made their presence known a little earlier even if they were not ready to take us down yet. Unfortunately, our lobster turned up burnt which made it really difficult to get out of the shell in poor lighting!
The romantic dinner was a bit of a shambles to be honest! We turned up at our allocated time and they had no knowledge of our booking and we were given a buzzer to return later. We were not very impressed as we had booked this up a few days in advance and my husband does not like to eat late. After 45mins I went to the Excellence club concierge to find out what had gone wrong. I was told that usually honeymooners do not normally get the beach dinner and the romantic dinner included, so I had to tell him that we had paid extra for the beach dinner and that appeared to be the cause of the confusion, not sure why! I was told they would do something special for us, although we never actually figured out what this was! When we arrived back at the Lobster house they had given us a different set menu as an option which is given to honeymooners we were told and we chose to order this. However, this seemed to confuse the waiter, he acted like he had never seen it before and after the mean asked our dessert choice even though we had already chosen it off said menu.
The dinner in the wine cellar at Chez was much better and I would do this in future in preference of the beach dinner, and it was more private and cheaper than the beach dinner, and the setting was lovely. You only need to purchase a bottle of champagne which cost $135. Bearing in mind that was actually a £25 bottle of Moet, but you get the jist! What was a shame though is again we were asked if we had ordered anything and we think they should have known this and had it ready. Three different people asked us the same thing and went off in search of our champagne which unfortunately was served un- chilled. Also, be prepared for waiters to keep popping in and out of the room as this is where they keep the glasses, but this didn’t bother us. At the end of the meal they asked for payment of the champagne, but we didn’t bring the cash out with us on the night as we didn’t realise we had to pay there and then but thought we could pay on check out. We were told we should have been asked to set up credit in advance if we didn’t want to pay on the night. So we were going to have to run back to the room to get this, but in the end they just got us to sign something and we settled up on our last day.

The entertainment is ok, but if you have been before, they are exactly the same shows so not worth watching again.

Incidentally, we were surprised how unaware of the other Excellence resorts the staff were, they seemed to ask us a lot of questions about what restaurants ERC had and didn’t have, we thought they would know more than us! Just surprising thats all, we thought they would all be closely linked and run in a similar way, but it seems they are quite separate. So, if you have been to one resort and expect the same don’t and you wont be disappointed.

They did make a fuss of my husband for his birthday aswell, they decorated the bedroom and he got a birthday cake at dinner which was nice of them. Again, I had emailed them to see if they could do this as per other reviews.

We did tip as the staff all work really hard and are always friendly and happy.

As I said at the beginning, this is a very good resort, its just that one step away from perfect and it seems a lack of communication is the issue. You will have a good time here and we still did, I still cried when I left! It just wasn’t perfect like we were expecting and in future we would probably only return to the ERC if we were to visit another excellence resort.

Room Tip: Block 8 & 9 are ocean front club rooms
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
philadelphia pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

This is an adults only all inclusive resort. We went for our honeymoon and it was amazing. Great weather, great food, beverages at all times, very clean, spa is relaxing and the pools are awesome. Live music at night and a variety of restaurants. The food was amazing. Service is more relaxed as it should be - nothing like the US. Only thing men need to wear pants in most restaurants at night- not a problem and it is listed on their website, we didnt look closely enough.
Fabulous vacation, excellent value for the money -would suggest to anyone who wants a relaxing, fun in the sun, no kids get away.

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!