“Excellent Yet Again” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Playa Mujeres

You added Excellence Playa Mujeres to your Saves list
Excellence Playa Mujeres
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Prolongacion Bonampak, S/N, Punta Sam | Lote Terrenos 001 MZ. 001 Sm. 003, Zona Continental, Playa Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
15% Off Room Rate
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Houston, Texas
“Excellent Yet Again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

Our original trip to EPM was scheduled over our one-year wedding anniversary (we were married at the EPM), but due to a tropical storm in late October 2011, the trip was postponed until December. The hotel was a pleasure to work with – they were very accommodating and helpful with rescheduling our trip. If only Continental airlines was as easy to work with – they were a complete nightmare to deal with, keeping us on hold for hours at a time (no joke) and wanting to charge us $1,800 MORE (on top of our original reservation) to go one week later. We had to delay the trip over a month to keep our original plane fare, which we had booked 6 months in advance at a low cost. When we finally arrived at the EPM, we were MORE than ready for a week of rest, relaxation, and amazing service and pampering.

Although our anniversary was postponed, the experience was just as special, and that’s entirely due to the amazing staff at EPM and their dedication to ensuring that every guest has the time of their life.

We should have booked private transfers as the tour company kept us waiting at the airport for about 45 minutes before leaving, and then made detours through the hotel zone to drop off two other couples. What should have been a 30 minute ride, turned into two hours. Take our advice – book private transfers – it’s well worth the additional cost, and the only way we’ll ever travel in the future.

As soon as we arrived we were “welcomed home” at the front door with the customary cool towel and glass of champagne, and walked inside to the beautiful lobby and could finally breathe a little slower and feel at ease. We booked an Excellence Club room, and were whisked away to the private EC check-in by Martin, who also offered us a tour of the property as we made our way there. At the Excellence Club we were greeted by Dennys Martinez, a member of the EC Concierge team, who took spectacular care of us throughout our stay. We had requested the same room we had on our previous visit, and were thrilled to learn that Dennys was able to accommodate our request. Dennys arranged every detail of our Anniversary package, and ensured that every detail of our visit was absolutely perfect.

On our first visit in October 2010, our favorite restaurant was Chez Isabelle, but this time preferred The Flavor Market on this visit over anywhere else. All of the food is good – all of these reviews are absolutely true - we highly encourage you to try every restaurant and the different taste profiles. However, the mushroom risotto at Flavor Market was the standout dish we talked about months after returning home. The All-Inclusive aspect of the EPM is very fun – you are encouraged to try new things and order a variety of dishes in every restaurant.

For our wedding dinner we dined on the private terrace outside of Spice, but with a custom wedding menu. On this trip, we arrived at Spice just as it was opening in order to reserve a seat at the hibachi grill (spots go fast). It was okay – typical hibachi food and presentation. Hibachi isn’t our favorite in the states, and we prefer a more private dining experience, so while we wouldn’t return to the hibachi, it would probably be very fun if you were visiting with a big group of friends.

We ordered a lot more room service this trip, especially the beef fajitas which are an absolute standout. Room service was always prompt, and we just love the ease of using the X-box. Any issue with the dirty dishes in the X-box could have easily been remedied by just a phone call. The lunch on the beach was our lunchtime staple, with burgers and fries and nachos good for a quick snack without leaving the view behind. We went to the buffet almost every morning – with so many options you’d be hard pressed not to find something you love.

On the EC beach, Enrique helped us get set up every day in a great location, and was always willing to go above and beyond to take care of us and make sure we were having a great time. It seemed like Raquel was our waitress every day (doesn’t she ever get a day off?), and took great care of us, keeping the drinks flowing all day, getting us snacks when we got hungry, and making sure that our time was well spent – in other words, relaxing on the beach with a cold drink, a perfect view, and not a care in the world!

The weather was just beautiful – mid-80’s with a slight chance of rain in the forecast every day. On our seven day trip, it only rained one time, and very briefly, so it didn’t interrupt anything whatsoever. Due to us visiting in the December, we didn’t encounter any of the nasty mosquito’s we’ve heard about, which was fantastic. You could handle a light sweater at night, but it wasn’t necessary. The only major complaint about the trips is that the pools and the Lazy River were too cold (they aren’t heated) which was extremely disappointing.

Other people who made our trip special include Cesar in the Excellence Club, Edgar, who appears to have earned a well-deserved promotion since our wedding trip, and Dennys in the EC Club.

Overall, the trip was nothing short of spectacular and the entire experience was amazing. We plan to attend again and again and again... it’s so great that we have absolutely no interest in even trying out another vacation destination! No place could possibly be as perfect as the EPM. I know it seems crazy to see so many amazing reviews raving about the same things, but it’s all true. That is, without question, due entirely to the staff who make each and every experience at the EPM magical. That is also the #1 reason why it’s so important to tip the staff. They work hard – very hard – to satisfy your every request and need, and deserve and appreciate a proper tip. We suggest bringing a ton of $1s to tip. Please don’t forget about the housekeeping, the turn down service, the lovely people who make the towel animals... you’ll remember those details for a lifetime, and they’ll appreciate your gesture of thanks. We can’t wait to return again!

Room Tip: Excellence Club definitely worth the upgrade for us, just do your homework on the differences and de...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,555)
Stratford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

My wife and I wanted a break away from everything where we could just relax on a beach, have nice food drink and feel spoilt.
I fancied Mexico after a few couples we know had been and raved about it.
I wanted to stop somewhere they hadn't. After looking at many reviews, EPM came up as a clear winner.

You arrive at the hotel after driving a long entrance road through beautiful tropical gardens, greeted by a smartly dressed doorman with bubbling champagne and a refreshing cold towel.
Your luggage is then taken by a bellboy and you are taken through to reception. This is a large elegant area that accesses a 3 tier bellowing staircase that overlooks the Martini Bar.
We booked a standard room and were guaranteed a junior swim up suite by booking through Bluebay Travel. On arrival we found out that Stuart from Bluebay had secured an upgrade to an Ocean View Suite, and the Excellence Club. You are guided to your suite and given a friendly and helpful tour by your bellboy.

The suite was fantastic. Large, elegant and well appointed. The minibar was restocked everyday. The room was cleaned and refreshed everyday. I have read a few negatives on Tripadvisor. Let me assure you, the rooms were beautiful, with plenty of storage, and most importantly, the beds and pillows were extremely comfortable. The privacy issue is a personal thing. My wife and I have been together 9 years and a smoke glass door with the odd toilet-based noise really isn't a concern. The jaccuzzi is romantic. If the water is brown, run it a little, let it drain away, start again. That's what we did and enjoyed a couples' bath most nights.
The shower was fantastic.

As with all aspects of a review, they are individual to a person's experience. I found the Excellence Club pools to be calm, relaxing but too quiet. The main pools were lovely but too loud
particularly with the music and the groups of people who like to just sit at the pool bar and get "louder" throughout the day. The beach was beautiful and yes there was sea grass, but it's the sea?! I was so privilidged to be upgraded as the Excellence Club beach was no more beautiful, but was quiter than the non exclusive. There was a nice buzz as you could look over the beautiful sea. watching the yachts and boats and you could here the rest of the hotel in the background. The happy medium. This means there was an are to enjoy whatever type of atmosphere you were after.
The staff here were fantastic. Very friendly and so helpful.
I hate being waited on as I prefer opening doors,carrying my cases and pulling in my own chair, but all staff, especially Ruvi, Andrea and Raquel on the Excellence beach made you feel relaxed and pampered.

The restaurants were great. A different ambience with decor and background nusic in each. For an all inclusive, the level of food was very good. The Flavour Market, Basmati and Chez Isabelle were very good. I love indian food and Basmati served some of the nicest we have ever eaten.
The house wine, Cabernet or Shiraz as we only drink red, were good enough and went with all meals.

The bars were very nice, fuly stocked and came with top notch service.
The Martini Bar was best for drinks.
We didn't have to wait for neither food nor drink.

We only saw snippets of shows as we preferred to have a drink after our meals at the open-air terrace watching the shows and then go back to the room.

We went on a snorkelling tour from the hotel, across to Isla Mujeres. It was great as you are taken by speedboat and guided by a friendly and knowledgable expert.
I also hired a jetski. It was my first time and great fun. You get a tan, see the different depths of sea across the channel, the views across the mainland and feel like a kid again, bouncing across the waves.

I apologise for the long review but I know when spending your hard-earned money you wwant details.

In short, this is a luxurious hotel, on a beautiful beach, offering the very best service and for an all inclusive, great food and drink.

Lastly, you should definately contact Bluebay Travel. We have, and always will book through them. They always come up with the best prices and secured upgrades. If you do contact them, please mention me, Oliver Payne as I want them to know their customers are as loyal as they are.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Room Tip: We were in bulding 9. Away from noise. Book through Bluebay Travel
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

This review is slightly overdue as we were there in September 2011 for our honeymoon. We spent quite some time researching so many resorts for our honeymoon, before we finally decided to go with EPM. EPM's location is slightly secluded as it is not in down town Cancun but it is perfect for a relaxing vacation. It is also facing Playa Mujeres, which is definitely worth seeing. Upon arrival to the resort, we were greeted with a champagne and a cool towel and warm smiles of the staff. Check-in was prompt and efficient after which we were taken to our room escorted by one of the staff members who showed us the way around the resort. The rooms were spacious, well kept, and beautifully decorated. The room's was stocked daily with top-shelf liquor and snacks. The only down side to the room for some people is that the bed might be a bit too high and the mattress might be too firm but it wasn't a problem for us. The EPM grounds were immaculate with the pools and lazy rivers flowing throughout the resort. The pool area was amazing, where you can opt for a quiet relaxing time or if you prefer to mingle with people and listen to music and have drinks you can go to the main pool bar. Since the resort accommodates adults only, most of the guests at EPM are couples on their honeymoon or anniversary. You can also order order drinks by the pool or the beach, for which we never had to wait for more than a couple of minutes. The resort has 9 restaurants with different cuisines, which were generally very good. We tried all of them but our favourites were Chez Isabelle, Spice and the grill. The spa facilities were very good as well, they have special rates on daily basis. The service in EPM was beyond excellent, although a tip is not necessary but it is greatly appreciated and definitely well deserved for much effort they put in to maintain high standards of service. Overall, the place lives up to the hype and I would definitely recommend this wonderful resort for a great vacation or a special occasion.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

EPM was everything two honeymooners could ask for! A complete escape from reality with a wonderful staff who always says "Hi" first and goes above and beyond to make you happy! The place and people were wonderful but now to elaborate on the specifics:

**Food
-Restaurants were always prompt and friendly and happy you were there!
-Food was a little bland and to be in Mexico, the chips with the salsa were awful! Not fresh at all.
-Go to The Grill and ask for the "Andre Special" Best drink I ever had!
-More on the food being bland, I know Americans are used to food being spicy, etc. but it seemed like everywhere except for Spice was bland and tasteless.
-Minibar in room was great but didn't like how we had to call to get it restocked, twice.
- Food is in very small portions. I get that they do that because you can eat as much as you want. My husband and I had what we called "second dinner" a couple nights.
-Room Service breakfast is awesome! Lunch & Dinner, not so much.

**Service
-Top notch! What my husband and I loved most is you never felt like you were putting anybody out or there were too many people to get exactly what you want. The resort was to full capacity but it never felt like it, at all!
-Top Grievance...my husband lost his cell phone down by the pool, (turned out it got wrapped up in the towels, which I knew before we started looking for it), once we figured out it was missing we alerted every security, concierge, etc to let them know of it. They asked for our room number, last name etc and assured us they were hot on the trail so to speak. Needless to say I went back down there to ask the guys who pick up the towels if they had seen it or not and could I go through the pool towels since I was sure thats where it had been picked up. Not only would hey not let me go through the towels but has no idea what I was saying. Skip ahead two days later when we had not heard a word of where our phone was or if they had found it or not (BUT, I liked how they called us, not to let us know that they were looking for it but to let us know that they were not liable for it. Insert my sarcasm here) Anyway, two days later we happened to be in the lobby checking on our transportation home when my husband happened to ask if they had found a phone that matched the description. The woman working the front desk asked us two questions about it and replied "Yeah, we found it." Although were elated that the phone had been found and would not have to be replaced we were dumbfounded as to WHY they had NOT contacted us to let us know they had found it when we had given 15 people our onformation and the description of the phone. I guess in the end everything turned out alright but I can't help but think, what if we hadn't gone up there. So..word to the wise, if you lose something, keep asking them about it because they're not going to come to you about it.

Overall, besides this unfortunate incident we can't wait to come back!!! Wonderful place!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

My husband and I wanted to spend a relaxing week in Mexico - just eating, drinking, sleeping and laying on the beach. After extensive research and friends' recommendations, we decided on either a Secrets or Excellence property. Someone mentioned Excellence offered more shade, which was the clincher for us, as my husband's very English skin can not tolerate prolonged sunshine. We chose Playa Mujeres over Riviera Cancun, as the property is a little newer and the rooms looked a bit more modern.

Once we arrived entire experience was - as cheesy as it sounds - excellent. The resort feels incredibly exclusive from the multiple security checkpoints, and when we did arrive at the drop off point, we were greeted with cool towels, champagne and a friendly reception staff. The checkin process was quick and stress free. The bellhop gave us a tour of the property as he escorted us to our room and carried our bags for us.

We booked the most 'basic' room, and found it incredible - complete with a 2-person bed on the balcony and a whirlpool! It was well styled, cool, spacious and clean. The free mini bar was possibly the most novel part of the experience and we loved it. We didn't make any mised drinks in our room, but we liked the endless bottles of water, which helped us keep as well hydrated as we tend to stay back home. We also liked having some snacks and beer readily available.

Another feature we loved was the free wifi throughout the resort. While we were on vacation to relax, we also like having ready access to email and the ability to post daily beach pictures on Instagram :)

The service was continually fantastic. Everyone was friendly, eager to help and genuinely wanted to make our stay a pleasant experience. They also offer a variety of entertainment options, from basic Spanish lessons to a lunchtime taco party on the beach to weekly special dinner events. Unfortunately we didn't see many of the evening shows due to jet lag and our natural tendency to be early to bed, but we did catch the Michael Jackson show. I expected it to be a little cheesy or not well choreographed, but it was truly spectacular and well recommended. The dancers are spot on and the whole show was done really well.

The food was delicious and plentiful, without making us uncomfortably full. Unfortunately as we were only staying for 8 nights, we weren't able to try all the restaurants, but everything we did eat - including the breakfast buffets, room service (for lunch and breakfast), pizza oven and all the dinner restaurants - was wonderful.

The drinks were all great. Some all inclusive places use cheap liquor or are stingy, but we didn't find that at all. We were also pleasantly surprised that there didn't see anyone overly intoxicated. Coming from London, with its pub and binge drinking culture, that was refreshing for an unlimited-free-drinks kind of environment!

The resort had a good mix of lots of couples and a few large groups (mostly comprised of multiple couples on holiday together) or families attending weddings on the resort. The pools and beach were not overly crowded, and we never had trouble finding a sun lounge, hut or cabana.

We also visited the spa for a couple's massage. The 'hydra therapy' experience (with cold and hot dunk pools, sauna, spa and jet pool) was great and made us relaxed even before the massage. The massage itself was also great - we felt incredibly relaxed by the end and could have floated back to our room.

We can not stop recommending Excellence to our friends. The quality of the room, food, drinks and service make for an incredible value, even though it is one of the more expensive resorts in the Cancun area. We have friends who have stayed at Excellence in DR and Playa Mujeres, and they have had similarly spectacular experiences. We aren't usually ones to want to re-visit the same place repeatedly, but we will definitely be back to Playa Mujeres and plan to visit the other Excellence properties based on our own experience as well as friends' reviews.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Prairie Village, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

We were greeted at the door with a cool beverage and a smile and it just kept getting better by the minute! Check in was fast and friendly; the bellboy took us on a quick tour on the way to our room, he was charming to say the least. The restaurants were DELICIOUS, the best food I've ever had at a resort. The Grill had the tastiest filet I've ever put in my mouth! The staff was amazing and welcoming. Each night there was entertainment that was very enjoyable. The room was like an open loft, very comfortable and romantic until...I got sick on the last day! Then the open floor plan was not so romantic but rather revealing in every way! My boyfriend could see, smell and hear pretty much everything happening in the bathroom, the bathroom without a door...
Regardless of the last night it was so awesome otherwise I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Get a swim up room; so fun!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom

George & Heather
UK

My wife and I are just back from out 6th trip to Excellence Playa Mujeres having enjoyed another wonderful 14 night holiday 25/06---09/07 2012. Having holidayed in the Caribbean since 1998, this is in our opinion, by far the best Hotel we have stayed at, with all other Hotels also being 5 Star.
We again stayed in the Excellence Club with an Ocean View Junior Suite and were again delighted with the speed of check in and welcoming drink of Champagne.
The room was as always very spacious,clean with full amenities included but would benefit from having a mirror at long dressing table to facilitate my wife sitting while doing her hair and make up instead of standing beside the Vanitory Sinks in bathroom--would be much appreciated for our 14 night stays. We dont agree with other reviewers ref uncomfortable beds as on all 6 trips we have stayed for 14 nights and beds have ALWAYS been extremely comfortable.
Housekeeping throughout stay maintained room to high standard and we as in previous years particularly liked the Nightly Turndown Service and being in Excellence Club had either Truffles, Pastries or Cheeseplates delivered which were a delightful end to each evening although on 3 occasions these were not left. The entire resort was kept immaculate and was a joy to walk around.
In addItion to the Excellence Clubhouse itself the private pool and beach area of the Excellence Club in our opinion is worth the extra with service at both being top notch but there is a good selection of other pools, both quiet and lively,so if you do not want to pay for the Excellence Club, you can always find somewhere to stay and the main beach is also truly wonderful with plenty of loungers, shady areas and also an abundance of towels always available.
We do not dine at the Tapas out of personal taste but all other restaurants have both a good variety of choice with all food to a truly high standard. We have to say that the staff were amazing as we noted some guests being truly ignorant to them, a Please or Thank-You cost nothing, but the staff always maintained an air of friendly professionalism.
The Evening Entertainment was excellent and of particular note is The Michael Jackson Show which we still enjoy watching each visit.
There is a great selection of bars, either inside or out.
We also had a truly wonderful Couples Holistic Massage at the Millie Spa, which was a completely different experience to our normal Swedish Type Massage, and left us feeling relaxed, and our skin nourished.
Family and friends have also made numerous trips to this hotel and we will continue to recommend Excellence Playa Mujeres.
We could go on but will finish by stating that despite saying we will look for somewhere different that we have already booked our 7th trip for next year confident that we will once again have a wonderful holiday in a beautiful location with friendly,attentive professional staff looking after us, making a 10 1/2 hour flight worthwhile. We cannot find anywhere that provides consistent high quality service, amenities and delivers all so graciously.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!