“EPM Apr 29-May 4” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Playa Mujeres

Save Saved
You added Excellence Playa Mujeres to your Saves list
Excellence Playa Mujeres
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Prolongacion Bonampak, S/N, Punta Sam, Playa Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 20% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Playa Mujeres
Dallas, Texas
“EPM Apr 29-May 4”

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Apr 29-May 4 Honeymoon

Ended up booking the trip for me and my newlywed with www.thetropicaltravelers.com. It was the same price as I was finding though Expedia, but it seemed like I was able to get more support with the lady I dealt with.

Flight from Dallas to Cancun was only 2hrs 10min which was very nice and a big reason we didn’t do St Lucia/Antigua/etc. Transfer to the resort on the very far north side of Cancun. We had to pass through 2 or 3 security gates to finally make it to the resort. Greated by champagne at the front door and checked into our 2-story rooftop terrace.

For the next 5.5 days we mainly did lots of eating and lots of drinking.
--We did book a trip to the island of Isla Mujeres that included a catamaran ride to the island, snorkeling on the boat ride there, lunch on the island with a few hrs to do what we wanted (we rented a golf cart and cruised the island), and on the boat ride back we even got to do a form of parasailing. It was tough to leave the resort knowing that you had already paid for it, but I would recommend a trip to the island like this. (did I mention there was unlimited alcohol included??).

--We also took one afternoon and spent time at the resort spa. We did the 80min ‘Hollistic’ couples massage with an hour of hydrotherapy beforehand. It was definitely nice, but I don’t think I would do it again. (I’d just rather spend my $$ on other things).

Overall Pros:
-We took full advantage of the all inclusive part of the resort. Went to almost all of the 9 restaurants at the resort and used the 24hr room service many times
-The service from the employees. I still do not understand how they get the employees to be that happy/service oriented with tipping not being a big incentive. It blew me away.
-Cancun being just a bit over a 2hr direct flight for us, so our travel time was minimal.

Overall Cons:
-The death of my camera on the 3rd day. I had just a digital point and shoot Canon that I left in my shoe on some rocks near the beach. We went out in the water for not but 10min and when I cam back one of my shoes was soaked and one was dry. Of course the wet shoe was the one with my phone in it. (I was still able to get the pictures from the SD card)
-If I had to do it all over again I would book private transfers to and from the resort/airport.

I had never been to any ‘tropical’ or all inclusive place so I don’t have much to compare to, but we would both definitely recommend this resort to anyone. If you have any specific questions I’d be glad to answer.

5,537 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,864)
Sault Sainte Marie, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

If you are heading to Mexico you don't have to look anywhere except "Excellence". The staff - Super friendly!!! The food - Amazing!!! The experience - Heaven!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Cabot, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

This was, not only, both of our first trip out of the country, but also to an All-Inclusive. It will be extremely hard to go anywhere else. Infact, if we go anywhere else, it will be the Excellence they are building in Punta Cana!

We married on May 4, 2012 and flew into Mexico Saturday, May 5th! Funny, no Cinco de Mayo celebration...we thought that was funny! This was an amazing property. Clean, friendly, and first class all the way! We stayed in the Excellence Club Ocean view Rooftop building 9! BEST most PRIVATE building in my opinion. But, we spoke to many people and they all loved their rooms, too! We also had NO problem with language barriers....and we worried about that upon arrival.

The beach was extremely clean and not at all crowded!! This was very important to us. The beach staff (Excellence Club Beach Concierge) were so sweet. They made every accommodation even when we didn't request anything. They handed out popsicles, cold wash clothes after you exit the water, clean towels...Amazing service!

For sure go to the The Lobster House by the beach for dinner, The Grill by the beach for lunch, and Spice for dinner at night! AWESOME service, AWESOME food!!! Especially The Grill! WOW...great food. We actually preferred it to the Mexican Restaurant Agave.

See my tips below as they were things we learned, but not the hard way!! Those are the best lessons EVER!!

Room Tip: Some tips I didn't know before I went: * Keep your drapes closed during the day to keep your...
Salisbury, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

We traveled to the Excellence Resort in Playa Mujeres for our honeymoon...don't think we could have picked a better place. The location outside Cancun is great, off the beaten path, so if you want some seclusion it's great. Felt very safe, needed to go through two guarded gates to get into the resort. 9 restaurants! Yes, I said 9! All fabulous. Our favorite was Agave, the Mexican restaurant. Even had an all female mariachi band that went to each table and serenaded you. The resort has a total of 5 bars, one in lobby, one outside in main area, one next to pool, one in pool, and a non-alcoholic bar that had healthy drinks. Huge menu to choose from. We had the cheapest room, but it was awesome. King size bed with turn down service every night. Two person jacuzzi tub, as well as two person (at least) shower with rain shower head and detachable nozzle. Patio doors opened to private patio with outside bed, table and chair, and two beach chairs adjacent to "lazy river" which was a branch off the main pool. Room was called "swim up" for this reason. One thing we didn't experience was the spa, so I cannot review that. Refrigerator in room was stocked with Coronas as well as sodas and snacks. Got room service twice, once for breakfast, then again for lunch, amazing. One thing we really enjoyed was our Romantic Dinner on the Beach, where the resort sets up tables on the beach and you get a 5 star dinner. We really enjoyed this resort because you could either choose to stay at the resort all week and be entertained and fed and be perfectly satisfied, or you can do excursions outside the resort which are all coordinated by the tour desk operated by Olympus Tours. We went to Chichen Itza and to Isla Mujeres to swim with dolphins...AMAZING!! Definitely worth trying it's your first trip to Cancun. Next time we go (because there WILL be a next time) we will most likely stay in the resort and take advantage of what they have to offer. I cannot to forget to mention the service. EVERYONE was extremely friendly and accomadating. Always say hello when they pass by, there whenever you need a refill for your drink, and our first night we had a problem with our jacuzzi tub, and at 8pm, they sent someone to fix it, no problem. This is what a 5 star resort is all about. We definitely recommend this resort to everyone!!!

Room Tip: We booked our trip through AAA, and asked for a room not on the first floor, wanting to avoid noise...
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Well let me start off by summarizing my stay at the Excellence Playa Mujeres as an Amazing 5 Star Experience. But I dont feel this would be a fair review if I did not have my Pros & Cons list about the hotel. Also I googled but could not find a definitive answer to the ever looming question "Is The Excellence Club upgrade worth the price at Excellence Club Playa Mujeres" Lets get started with all the pros about Excellence Club Playa Mujeres.

Pros:

First of all for us it was only a 2.5 hour flight from Dallas to Cancun, and only a 30 minute ride from the Airport as opposed to an hour plus for Riviera Maya. For transportation we used http://dreamdays.com/ and their private Escalade pick up which I highly recommend. You have to drive right through Cancun to get to this resort, and the resort has 2 security checkpoints before entering the Resort so you feel extremely safe upon arrival.

Upon pulling up we were greeted by a bellboy and glasses of Champagne and a Cool rag to wipe our face. He then walked us by the Common Area check in and we walked through the resort to the private Excellence Club reception area which is similar to an Admiral Club at the Airport (which is nice and business like). We were greeted by our concierge who walked us through check in, but our room was not ready and we were given a restaurant style beeper to alert us when the room was ready.

We went to go eat at the Grill which the food was better than the name eludes and the view of the pools was amazing. I never confirmed while on the trip but they confirm who you are by room number and I believe they know you are excellence club and you get special sitting (but im not sure). It took about 1.5 hours for our room to be ready, by the time our buzzer went off.

THE ROOM! Well my wife had no idea where we were going or where we were staying so this was going to be a total surprise which would be an amazing feat or a huge let down. It is about a 5 minute walk from the excellence club reception area to building 9 where we stayed. We get to the room and they had a Happy Anniversary banner on the door which was a nice touch. SOOOOOO! I opened the door and step into a breathtaking view right out the back of the ocean. My wife was blown away by how nice the room was, the entire wall opens up from the downstairs Jacuzzi to overlook your private patio and the ocean + living room & bed back in the room. The shower was probably 8x4, which is Huge and had dual shower heads. The room was well stocked with Premium Liquor as well.

THIS IS ALL BEFORE SHE EVEN KNEW THEIR was a 2nd FLOOR!!! Finally she noticed the stairs and her question was "Are we sharing this room with someone upstairs"? I said "I dont Know, Lets See"! So my stomach is churning wondering if i have wasted my money on something that could not live up to the hype as I was walking up the stairs to the 2nd Story rooftop terrace area. As soon as I opened the door you are overwhelmed by the view of the ocean, that she didnt even think to turnaround and notice the 2 beds + private pool at this point. She must have spent 3 minutes in Disbelief of the the view. Finally she turned around and said "OMG this cannot be just for us"? We have been on several nice $5000+ per week vacations but the wow factor of this room is incomparable to anything that I have seen anywhere. So yes the room is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING (SEE MY VIDEOS & Pics)

THE FOOD:
The resort is a gourmet all inclusive so its like you are going to the finest restaurants every night when you eat. One of the huge benefits is that with so many restaurant options there is never a need for a reservation, which can be a real pain at some resorts. Plus room service is available which is a huge plus. The meals were smaller (fancy) proportions so it is one of the 1st all inclusive places that I did not leave dinner feeling like a slob.

The Ambiance:
This resort has more of a country club feel (due to price) than a party atmosphere. The average age if I had to estimate was 35-40, but of course this is an adult only resort so no kids allowed. You have to be wearing pants to enter of the restaurants at night (no shorts allowed). Yes, I was literally turned away and asked to change or order room service. There were nightly events that ranged from a Cirque Du Soleil like show, to the a magic show to a Michael Jackson impersonator. They had a small hidden Hookah Lounge which opened at night which was a pretty cool feature. There is no Night Club at the hotel though, so if your looking to part like a rockstar you will need to head down to Cancun. This is perfect though if your looking for a quiet peaceful getaway with a significant other. The resort (other than roomservice) is a ghost town after 10:30 or 11

The Beach:
I actually prefer the pool area, but the beach is a nice as you would expect. The sitting as expected is limited and shaded areas are a premium. There is a small Excellence Club area but its usually reserved by sunup and people stayed until sundown.

The Grounds:
The grounds are meticulously maintained seemingly 24 hours a day. Around noon everyday I saw maintenance people cleaning the pool by hand, by literally jumping in the pool. Literally watched a guy spend 1 hour cleaning a single water hammock by hand. Even the outdoor ashtrays had the resort logo, and every time someone put a cigarette out they came and re-did the logo. The grounds are really as good as it gets.

The Spa:
We did the marine wellness & the $600 Humanity ritual:

- Marine Wellness = Unique sometimes uncomfortable (Burning Hot Sauna) experience but overall fun and enjoyable experience + its free with any service

- $600 Humanity Ritual (3 Hour Spa) = Only bad experience I had the whole time we were there. They give you the most unflattering disposable underwear any human being could ever wear, which looks like a disposable adult diaper and was a complete mood killer (even though it was good for a laugh). The 3 hours only entails maybe 45 minutes of hands on massage experience, and you have to take 3-4 showers during this process. After the 1st 1.5 hours it was just awkward to be there for that long, and not really together at anypoint. There is a private bedroom, but we were whisked away right after the service and did not get to use it.

THE CONS:

Is Excellence Club Worth the Extra Cost? This was my $1500 question before I left, and my answer after having nearly a month to think about it before and after the trip has to be "NO"! No I dont feel that the Excellence Club upgrade is worth the additional cost. I do however feel the only way to go is the "Two Story Rooftop Terrace w/ Private Pool room. The rooms are identical the only difference is that you are in a building that is a 1 minute literally walk closer to the beach.

The excellence club reception area is hidden with a view of nothing so you will never spend anytime in there. I actually prefer the view and ambiance of the regular lobby over the excellence club area. As for special treatment after check in, there is really nothing else that you can receive that everybody does not have access to. There is an extremely small section on the beach for EC members with literally maybe 15 to 20 beds that are taken everyday by sun up. All the restaurants don't require reservations so their is no special treatment there. As for room service there is 3-4 special items but nothing amazingly different.

So In My Opinion you should save your money and stay an extra night as opposed to spending for this upgrade. There is no special designations or treatment beyond check in and check out that are worth the price of the upgrade. Also the bed was comfortable as a pullout sofa which was surprising due to how nice everything else was.

Also this is definitively not the place if your looking for a party resort or to hang out and make friends. It has a very exclusive country club like feel about it.

Final Con! The resort is not that large so if your staying for more than 4 days or so it can become a little claustrophobic, so plan some activities accordingly.

OVERALL:
A++ Experience, and hard to beat anywhere for overall WOW factor if your looking for a quiet romantic adult only getaway

Room Tip: Use http://dreamdays.com/ for transportation, Excellence Club not worth the price in my opinion. On...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

We returned from our 3rd stay at this resort on May 10. As most of the reviews have stated, the people that work here are truly hard-working and so nice. They will do anything to please you. We love Edwin! and Maria at the pool was so busy and was constantly asking if we needed drinks, we barely ever needed to look for her - she was always there.

This resort is truly a 5-star. Anyone that complains probably has not been to other all-inclusives to compare. The restaurants were all great - except for the Lobster House which did change thier menu, although the management and waiters insisted they didn't. It used to be almost all lobster prepared any way you wanted it. Now there are only 2 choices. We were just there less than a year ago, and it was not as good now with the new menu. Do try the Flavor Market - Tapas. It's worth any wait for food prep, everything you choose is outstanding.

Wi-fi in the room was perfect all the time. The room was cleaned to perfection. We stayed at PM for our Anniversary and I did e-mail the resort prior to let them know. One thing that really annoyed us is that we did not get any upgrade, or any room with a view except the spa building. The last 2 times we were there, we got a roof top room and we were very dissapointed this time. Especially when we choose this resort for the 3rd time within a year, and our 8th stay overall at Excellence properties. I know upgrades are not guaranteed, but it would have gone a long way towards our loyalty.

One other small complaint is the teeny bed pillows.... really, my husband needed 4 pillows to sleep. I am shocked at how small the pillows are and how they must have received feedback on this and still choose to stay with the miniature pillows.

Overall, we love the resort and probably will be back again. This is our 8th time to Mexico and I would say this is the nicest all inclusive we've stayed at. Ecellence Riviera Cancun coming in 2nd.

Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

This place is the BOMB. From start to finish we never anted to leave come sometime due to the outstanding service and resort.
The pools are amazing as are the lazy rivers and the beach superb.
The hotel rooms amazing we were in block 7 and very quiet and relaxed.in the room everything you could need whilst in the room such as 50 inch tv , sofas,four poster queen size bed, double sink , huge shower, huge balcony and my favourite a whirlpool bath/ jacuzzi in your room amazing.
The fridge stocked up everyday with corona,soft drinks and waters and chocolates simply brilliant.
And 24 hr rm service food and drink.
The buffet and restaurants 9 to choose from by the way absolute top draw to the highest possible standard.the weather everyday in the 90's which made it perfect.
Now after bigging this place up I had only 1 negative and that was At the many bars no matter whether busy or not the bar staff sometimes took an age to serve you which was sometimes frustrating but other than this the whole place is fantastic trust me.
So if you want a guaranteed great holiday this is for you whether a romantic getaway or a family trip or wedding this place is defo for you. ENJOY.

Room Tip: We where block 7 it was fine with great lazy river and stage views but everyone I spoke to had good...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!