“A Must” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Playa Mujeres

Save Saved
You added Excellence Playa Mujeres to your Saves list
Excellence Playa Mujeres
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Prolongacion Bonampak, S/N, Punta Sam, Playa Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 20% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Playa Mujeres
Stamford, Connecticut
“A Must”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

Excellence Playa Mujeres is one of the best resorts!!! It's all inclusive and you have a variety of great restaurants to choose from (the food and drinks are delicious). The service is excellent and the staff is super friendly. You're always greeted with a hello and smile!! The resort is clean and beautiful. They upgraded us to a phenomenal room where we even had our own hot tubs. It's adults only which is also a plus. I highly recommend this resort!!!

Room Tip: The rooms are all great!!
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

5,537 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,864)
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

My first time staying at an Excellence resort was last year at the Puerto Moreles location , just south of Cancun. It was a quiet weekend for a wedding anniversary and we had a great time. This trip was quite the opposite. We travelled with 6 couples for a friends 40th birthday. In general, the two resorts are 90% the same- the layout, restaurants, pools, etc are the same. We had a little bit of an issue at night as we were trying to all go to dinner together. It was difficult for them to accomodate a party our size. For all of the dinners we had to seperate into 2 groups- which wasn't the end of the world. One night we went to Agave, the mexican restaurant in the resort- waited 45 min for a table (which we were told and expected) but after waiting for the food for over 1hr 15 min, my wife and I left our friends a headed to the french restaurant instead. Wasted most of everyone's night sitting and waiting-
Other than that issue, the place is clean, service usually good, food is good for an all inclusive, drinks flow freely.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

My wife and I spent a week at the EPM for our first anniversary and felt this resort definitely lives up to the hype it receives.

We booked with Air Canada Vacations and used their airport transfer, which was quick and efficient. There were three other couples in our van who were all headed to EPM as well. The transfer company ACV uses is Best Day. We had a regular jr. suite room on the second floor in building 1. Our view was nothing special but it was private and quiet, which is what we wanted.

The main things we liked about this resort were the small touches that add to your experience...
- handing out water in the morning
- popsicles in the afternoon
- the soft serve machine
- chefs handing out appetizers by the pool and beach
- staff helping out make a pillow for your lounger out of a towel

All of these things can't help but put a smile on your face. We also liked all the options for restaurants, where you'd like to sit during the day, the variety of drinks and of course the activities and entertainment. Even the Excellence Times, the daily newsletter, was a nice, little touch. These were all things I wasn't aware of before our trip but they were lovely, little surprises.

In terms in food, we felt this resort really shined at breakfast and dinner. Lunch was always average, especially at the Grill and Lobster House. We stuck to Toscana for lunch, which had higher quality food despite being a buffet. All of our dinners were delicious so it's hard to pick just one that stood out. Definitely take advantage of themed dinner nights if you want... while we were there, they had Mexican Night and 1001 Nights.

For us, the shortcomings of this resort were scheduled activities not happening, slow restaurant service and as I said, lunch. We tried to do Aqua Aerobics and a Kayak Tour, neither of which happened. There were some discrepancies between the Excellence Times' schedule and the large activity board by the pool, which made it confusing to know if an activity was actually happening. Only some of the restaurants had slow service... most notably Flavor Market and Barcelona. I believe we waited about an hour between our appetizers and main course. It wasn't a big deal as we didn't have anywhere else to be but it was a long wait. And finally, lunch, which was average compared to how great the rest of the food was.

I would highly recommend the bike tour as the guide Andrea, was very friendly and informative. I'd also recommend getting up to watch the sun rise over Isla Mujeres if you can manage to wake up at 5am. The resort was peaceful and beautiful first thing in the morning.

Overall, the things we loved about this resort outshine the handful of negative issues we had. We wouldn't hesitate to stay at another Excellence property again.

Room Tip: Stay in buildings 1 through 6 if you want quieter rooms.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Warren, RI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

My husband and I went to the Excellence- Playa Mujeres this past October (10/11/11) for our honeymoon. This was our first all-inclusive experience. Everything was perfect. The rooms were amazing- we had a swim-up suite that was right across from the spa. The service was incredible. I really felt like a queen! The staff treated us with exceptional respect and courtesy. The weather that week was decent for the first few days but rained for the next few. The events at night were still held even when it rained a lot. We both thought the food was great. We mostly went to the buffet for breakfast and chose different places for lunch & dinner. Our favorites were the Mexican, Asian and French restaurants. My husband also loved the tacos they had at the grill on the beach. We had a great experience at the spa- with the complimentary honeymoon package we got 15% off there. I would highly recommend this resort!!

Room Tip: Swim-up suite was great!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

I have only been to one other all inclusive (LeBlanc--which was amazing and that review is for another day), so Excellence had a very high bar to reach. My husband had planned this trip as a surprise for my 40th birthday and he did a pretty good job of selection the resort.

The Hotel Grounds: The grounds are beautiful. The lobby is pristine tile/marble, light and airy. The greenery is lush and kept very well. Overall, excellent for presentation!

The Room- We stayed in a garden room (1st floor) which had a doorwall that opened right out to a patio and the lazy river pool. Just what I always wanted. The room is beautiful. The 2+person shower is great with the waterfall faucets. Didn't care much for the lack of privacy with the toilet itself (a frosted glass door). The bed faced the patio doorwall instead of a wall which means you could lay in bed and watch the sunset. There was a jacuzzi tub (a bit small for 2 people), but set off approropriately adjacent to the actual room which had a sectional sofa and flat screen tv. I loved having our own bed on the patio where I could read each night (although a bit more light on the patio would have been nice). It does get a bit buggy at nig ht--I lost count after 10 mosquito bites.

The Pools--Loved the windy river pool, but all the pools were very cold. The hot tubs were not very hot, but we keep our hot tub at 103 degrees, so we like it hot. Don't know why the pools are so cold, but they should work on that.

The Restaurants--I was not very impressed with the food overall. Although the buffet (Toscana) was good for breakfast (lots of variety), it was "ok" for lunch. So, we tried th Lobster House for what we thought would be a good sit down lunch--big mistake. Took over 30 minutes to seat us and then we had some of the worst service ever. I had to go to the bar to get my own drinks and had to ask twice for chips/salsa to tide us over because the food took quite a while. The food was also mediocre. I would also resist the temptation of going to Lobster House for dinner as it was 1/2 a lobster tail and somewhat scrawny. The grill was no better for lunch. If you stick with Toscana for lunch, this is probably your best bet.
As for the other restaurants, Agave was excellent for Mexican--ask for Ivan for your waiter--he is so sweet and charming--he will do a great mexican coffee show for you at dessert time and let him pick your margarita for you! Spice (asian) was excellent. We were a party of 4, so we just ordered 5 dinners and had them family style--this way we could taste a little of everything. The french restaurant was ok (not as bad as Lobster House), but I was also a little tired from my trip that day.

Service: The staff was all very friendly. Andrea, who took us on a bike tour was friendly and helpful. Our rooms weren't always made up early in the day, but were made up by the time we returned from dinner. The spa staff was excellent too (even though we had a mixup with services, --someone stole my bathtub time--they made up for it!).

Bars--I'm not a big drinker, but I do know what is and what is not good alcohol. Make sure you ask for a specific type of vodka, rum, etc. or you will get some unknown brand you've never heard of. They can make basically any drink you'd like.

I can't think of anytime that someone went above and beyond what I expected (which is sometimes disappointing), but overall it was a good experience.

Room Tip: The garden rooms are wonderful, but make sure you are not near an elevator bank. We were in 7006 wh...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

I found this hotel while researching for hotels in Cancun...what a surprise to have found such a gem!! Everything was booked through a travel agency – the flight, hotel and private transportation. We chose to splurge on the Excellence Club – which means you get private check-in, guaranteed ocean view and access to the Excellence Club lounge; really it’s just extra perks. We stayed in Room 9454 (a suggestion from a previous traveler on TripAdvisor). This is the two-story room with private plunge pool…OMG! This is heaven!!! The room is unbelievably beautiful! I can go on and on but it’s really repetitive of the other detailed reviews you find on here.
The spa…HEAVEN!!! You first have a whole hydro pool thing you go through to relax your body and then you get a mini-massage before you’re actual massage!! It’s just magical…
What most people want to know-the bed is delicious, the drinks are premium, the pools and beach are not crowded, the lazy river – lovely to be lazy on, the food great!! The entertainment is cheesy but it’s not Vegas people! Don’t except a show on that level…
I ‘forced’ my husband to leave at least one day to go to Xel-Ha which was beautiful. I recommend setting up a private transport so you don’t get stuck picking up and dropping off people. This is a whole day event and you don’t want to spend hours at the end of the day dropping off other people.

This was our first trip to Mexico and it won’t be the last :)

Room Tip: Rooms in building #9 are quieter/more private-..the Excellence Club level is worth it (as a splurge)
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

This hotel is 5 star excellence.
Was there on holiday with my husband and after travelling for 12 hours to get there the welcome home glass or champagne as we arrived was well received.
The lovely bell boy gave us a great run down of everything in the hotel as we went to our room.
The swim up to room was simply fantastic!
The most beautiful hotel room we have stayed in so far and that includes 5 star places in Vegas and top British hotels.
The bed was huge - the bathroom lovely - and the bed on the veranda pure bliss.
The spa bath with new incense sticks added every day was a delight.

The room was cleaned to perfection every day and the mini bar restocked.
We had room service once and instead of a glass or champagne they sent us a bottle!

All the staff we encountered were lovely and helpful and our waiter one night even told us the true origins of the Day of the Dead celebrations.

All the food in all the restuarants was very good and the only down fall was that at the begining of the week we stayed the hotel was only 50% full so some of the restuarants were closed which restricted choice slightly.

Of course continous cocktails made up for any food short falls!

Never any problems getting beds or sun loungers at any time of the day as there were so many but you never really felt too close to any other visitors as there is plenty of space around all the pools.
The small beach also never seemed too crowded.

The entertainment at night in the theatre was great and the Mexican night was truely a delight!
Even a downpour didn't faze the staff who just picked up all their wonderful decorations and moved them inside.

This is most certainly a hotel for couples or adult families who want to relax during the day and laugh a lot - and drink cocktails! - at night.

Must admit we only ventured out of the hotel to go shopping and would not recommend going anywhere except in a cab called by the hotel as just outside the complex the area still SEEMS a little the worst for wear and it's probably not an idea to wander around alone when you don't know the area.

This is a hotel where you can do nothing or can do lots of water spots.
It's up to you how much energy you have!

Room Tip: Our swim up room was a delight but the top floor rooms with the beds on the roof looked fanatstic!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!