“Can't Wait to Go Back!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excellence Playa Mujeres

You added Excellence Playa Mujeres to your Saves list
Excellence Playa Mujeres
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Prolongacion Bonampak, S/N, Punta Sam | Lote Terrenos 001 MZ. 001 Sm. 003, Zona Continental, Playa Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 25% Off room rate
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
New Jersey
“Can't Wait to Go Back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

We stayed at EPM from October 17 - 22 to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. We did not get the "anniversary package" however, because our anniversary was actually back in August, so I can't comment on the amenities related to that.

I am usually very wordy, but I feel that everything about this place that can be said has been said very well by others. So I instead will highlight, like so many others do . . . probably still in my wordy way :)

Pros:

Almost everything . . . the room is lovely, the service absolutely wonderful, the food is delicious. We read a lot of conflicting reviews about the food, so I was curious what my opinion would be but kept an open mind. I do consider myself a foodie - we have an extensive culinary background in my family and I do think I have excellent taste in food and am quite picky. The food at EPM never really disappointed. Is it all 5-star food like you would get in NYC or Paris? Of course not. Is it completely enjoyable? Yes, really yummy food. We only got one meal (a steak and eggs breakfast) in which the meat and eggs were really barely cooked at all. We returned it and ordered something else which was delectable. No biggie. We didn't get to try Chez Isabelle, unfortunately, because I was really looking forward to that. But we did eat at almost all the other restaurants - Agave (wonderful! I don't know what anyone is talking about, unless they are just used to Taco Bell), Basmati, Barcelona, The Lobster House (breakfast is terrific, lobster just so-so - if you don't want the lobster overcooked, just order it steamed - nice and tender), Toscana (but we only had breakfast there), and the Flavor Market (wonderful! But I love tapas - order a lot!).

The shower is amazing. We have a large shower at home and usually going away makes us miss ours, because nothing matches up. This shower was better than ours! Especially for two people :) Yes there is the whole bathroom privacy thing, so this is not the kind of place for those who are not comfortable with one another. No biggie, I just hung on the day bed on the balcony when the facilities were being used by my hubby.

We did the Excellence Club. Whether it is worth it or not is really a matter of choice. I don't even know how much extra it cost, because I was interested in the Oceanfront suite which only came as an EC room, so I never looked at the price difference. My hubby does like his top shelf liquor, so he really appreciated having that available to him, especially at the prices you are paying for the trip. Also, the Excellence Club pools and bars are quieter, which is a nice change at times. We loved being able to stop at the lounge and grab little bites to eat and discuss things with the concierge. I would go to the gym or take yoga and my husband did the tennis clinics. While I was waiting for him to be done, I'd relax there and read the paper and have my cappuccino and some light food, then we'd go to breakfast. It was just a nice touch. And most of all, I loved the EC beach area!! Private, and you are really waited on hand and foot and, of course, always with a smile and a sense of humor. Lovely, lovely people who work at this resort. Not enough can be said about that.

Which leads me to the service. People make it sound as though staff just magically appear at every turn whenever you need them to wait on you, and this really wasn't true for us. But I don't need that, I'm not royalty. However, there were always people around, always available, and always with a smile which was not forced or fake. Such genuine, friendly people, who were always willing to do what needed to be done to grant your wish (although I will admit we never asked for anything too unreasonable). One example is that we couldn't find any seating around the main pool area one day, and my husband saw an unused palapa because someone had moved their chairs out into the sun. So he asked if we could have chairs set up under the empty palapa. They got two chairs from the beach and carried them to the pool for us, and of course, again, with a smile and always, "no problem."

Lastly, and again remember these are just highlights -- overall almost every aspect is wonderful -- the cleanliness was beyond fabulous. I am a nurse and also just a very hygienic person who was very concerned about the cleanliness of things in Mexico in general, and of getting sick. One of my nurse friends told me to bring bleach for the jacuzzi in the room before using it, LOL. I found everything everywhere to be spotless. In a place that is very open air, and so many things are outdoors, I even had a hard time finding dirt in corners of tile, etc. OUTSIDE, except where the dirt should be, let alone inside. Clean clean clean. In fact, I can't figure out how they keep the white couches and light daybed covers so clean, it baffled me. Of course I wasn't in the kitchen watching them do dishes, so you never know, but I never felt that the plates, utensils, or glasses were unclean, everything seemed fine. Very impressed.

Cons:
I guess I wouldn't call this a con, to be honest, but everyone raves about that Michael Jackson show. We saw about two numbers, and it was good, but we bored of it very quickly and overall it wasn't anything to write home about. Kind of cruise-shippy. But I guess it's an all-inclusive, so what do you want? Even Vegas probably wouldn't impress me, I'd find that kind of cheesy, too, so it's all a matter of taste. If you do go to the show, get there EARLY, the seats fill up fast!! Not a seat in the house before it starts.

I would like to note that all the other entertainment we experienced there - the bands (especially the Mariachi band!) - were excellent. Again, you're not seeing Sonic Youth there, it is what it is, but good solid talent.

We were supposed to have an EC "Oceanfront" room. Now I knew going in that none of the rooms are truly "oceanfront", the resort just isn't configured that way. However, what we got (and we had put in a special request, apparently too late) was the second floor in building 7, overlooking the lazy river and an excursions booth. Way in the distance we could see a small piece of ocean peeking over the trees. This was our Oceanfront. Really it was a partial ocean view. I don't think they should categorize this room as an EC Oceanfront, at least not at that floor level. Maybe one level up would have been better. They were fully booked, and tried to move us to Building 8 three days later, but we only had a day and a half left at that point and it was more trouble than it was worth. Overall this did not detract from how wonderful a time we had, but for the money you pay for a special room, it was disappointing. Again, they should not classify this room the way they do, simply put.

We did have to call on two occasions for maid service, because we'd gotten back after being gone all day to the room still be uncleaned at 5 p.m. So the one night, they didn't give us turndown service, but I guess that's because they had only just cleaned the room. Don't know. Also, the box for picking up food needed reminders to be cleaned out. Stuff can sit in there for days. But as other reviewers have said time and again, just call them. They come up in minutes and take care of what you need. Just ask. And then they call you to make sure it was taken care of to your satisfaction. In fact, sometimes that almost got annoying, the phone ringing constantly after anything was done, haha. But it was all with good intent and good service in mind, so I truly didn't mind.

The beach - It's been said before, but I will confirm that if you are looking for a beach vacation, this really isn't the place to go. I adore the beach, but my husband isn't a big fan, so he didn't mind so much. But the beach is short and, yes, there is sea grass. We had enormously ridiculous amounts due to storms that were there right before we arrived that took days for them to clear, even though they raked all the time. I still enjoyed laying by the beach and having drinks and service and just enjoying the view. But if you are looking for Bermuda beaches, you won't find it here. Like almost everything else, it's not even necessarily a con - just a matter of choice. The pools are lovely and if you are more of a pool person anyway, this is a great place for that.

Lastly just to note our opinion on a few other things:

The beds, which so many people say are hard, are really not that bad. I expected rocks. They are comfortable if you are a firm bed lover. A normal firm bed. They are not like sleeping on the floor. My husband said next time he may want to ask for a topper. I had no problem, but I have a bad back and neck, so I like a firm bed - and I was able to order the orthopedic pillow for my neck, which I use at home. Lovely. No migraines, no stiff neck :)

Felix by the water sports on the beach was wonderful! The weather had not been so good our first two days there, and the water was too rough to take out a hobie cat unexperienced. So he politely asked for a tip and took us out on a hobie cat . . . we had a great time, lots of fun with him. A couple of days later we took out a wave runner - so so much fun! Do it!

We did a day trip to Isla Mujeres - we were disappointed, I won't go into a long discussion about that, it has nothing to do with the resort (we went on our own on the ferry) - but if you choose to do it, do some research and plan your day well - I'll just say that Playa Norte is not all it's cracked up to be. We did not do any other excursions due to lack of time.

Everything on Isla and in the gift shop is overpriced (Isla was more expensive than the gift shop! I felt that souvenirs in the gift shop were somewhat reasonable in comparison). The airport really has a lot of stuff at much better prices, so if you get there early on your way home, shop there if you hadn't made it into Cancun for shopping.

I had the grouper sandwich at the Lobster House on TA recommendations, I second that recommendation! Yum :) The ice cream is very unique and very good - it's a self serve stand - try it! I never did have any of the famous chocolate cake - that's for next time! Oh, and the coffee and cappuccino are out of this world!

I know there are a ton of things I'm missing, but truly it's all been covered anyway. I will just say that if you go here, you will not be disappointed unless you are just someone who cannot be pleased or want to be treated like the Queen of England. In fact, one of the things we loved the most about this resort is that it didn't have a hoity-toity feel. On the flip side, our last day and half there, a group arrived that was a little obnoxious--in fact we were glad they weren't there for our whole trip because it was a large group that kind of changed the feel of the resort with their presence--but that's not the resort's fault. Overall, very nice guests -- a good crowd of ordinary people just there to relax and enjoy themselves and each other. Lots of honeymooners! A good mix of young and more mature people with just the right attitude. If you are Thurston Howell looking for a snobby resort, this is not the one for you. But also if you are looking for Spring Break, this is not the resort for you, either.

My review is already so much longer than I planned! But once you start talking about EPM, it's hard to stop. Any questions, please feel free to message me! We are already planning our next trip back, which by the way, we really previously thought we wouldn't be able to swing for another 10 years (because of child care). But now we decided we will do anything it takes to be able to make it back to EPM!

One final thing I'd like to say is to the EPM Management if they read these reviews - it seems as though your staff is treated well by you as they all exude such friendliness and what seems to be love of their work. We like to give our business to organizations that do the right thing. I hope I am right - please treat your workers well, they are amazing people who deserve it and are what keep you alive. Without your employees you'd be just another pretty resort. They are your livelihood. Thanks to everyone who works so hard to make our vacations wonderful!!!

Room Tip: Avoid Building 7 if you can if you decide to pay for the Excellence Club.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,237)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I just returned from a six night stay at this property. All I can say is WOW! This place is unreal. I gave the property a 4/5 rating.... It would be a 5/5 if everyone received Excellence Club service and a room directly facing the ocean; but they are both upgrades and everyone doesn't get that. So if I give the hotel an overall rating, It gets a solid 4+ stars! If you rate it with the Excellence Club upgrade, it is clearly a 5/5 star. So yes a true 5 star rating is possible, but you need to spend a little more money to get it. If you are looking for the best All Inclusive in the area, this is for sure, no questions asked, at the top (with EC). And in the top 3 without the EC.

Overall, the hotel is just amazing. The food is about as good as it gets for an all inclusive. There is ample restaurants to eat at and you really feel like you are eating out as opposed to the same food everywhere. Our favorite was Chez Isabelle, the French place. Why? Because the ambiance was the most romantic and gave you the feeling you were fine dining. The food was very good too but if you are a food-eee, you will not find it to be OMG, but rather very good. This holds true at any of the restaurants, very good, not OMG! .......The wine that you can get it in bottles anywhere on the property for free is very OK wine and will be great for you if you are the kind of person who thinks, cheap wines taste like good wines and can't tell the difference.(me sometimes) If you like to drink wine, they have wine lists all over and you can pay extra for a good bottle, which just makes the dining experience much better. Nothing like a great bottle of wine!......... The room service is good too. We ate Breakfast in the room everyday on the terrace. No need to rush to the buffet before it closes. Room service is great too if you are like me and have trouble controlling your eating at a buffet. LOL........ The spa is lovely; try it if you have the time. I would stick to the basic massages and not get sucked into their deluxe treatments; This way you know what you are getting, either a hard massage or soft massage. The hydrotherapy treatment at the spa is just AMAZING. Treat it with an open mind and try something new. (Even when they pour ice cold water on your head-There is a reason it is done so enjoy it).....There is a free Tennis clinic everyday at 9AM with their Tennis Pro-Jonathan. He is a wonderful person and you will like him if you play tennis. He gives private lessons too. You can schedule that anytime of the day. He is there!...The shows I am not into but they looked way better than any other all inclusive I have seen. They looked like real productions.....

The excellence Club! Is it worth it? YES YES YES YES. Did I say Yes? Yes. Does it mean you will enjoy your trip less if you don't get the excellence club? NO. If you don't select Excellence Club, you will get very good top level 4 +/5 experience. You might be the kind of person who is can justify not having a direct ocean front view, you can justify ordering good liquor to be delivered in plastic cups instead of having it in the bottles, you are OK not getting private concierge service on the beach at the pool, you are OK with a room facing the pool, other rooms, or garden, and you don't really care about getting over the top service....... So yes, we upgraded to the Excellence Club. The Excellence club gives you private check in, private lounge with top shelf booz, private pool, private bar at pool, private beach area, private concierge. better location rooms with most of them facing ocean. You can also order bottles of Tres Generations Tequilla, Don Julio, Grey Goose, Kettle One, Johnny Walker Scotch, Jack Daniels, right to your room! WOW! I carried my own personal bottle of tequilla around the hotel with me so I could drink what I enjoyed and not what they told me I had to drink :) Just to give you an idea of what this place will do for you in the Excellence Club, One Night, we had a little get together in a friends roof top room. We made a list Bud Light, Corona, Pinot Gritio, Merlot, Ice, Cups, fresh lime juice, Coke, Tonic water, Club soda . They took the list we made up and brought us everything to the room! This my friends is UNHEARD OF at an all inclusive and is what makes the Excellence Club worth it and makes the resort extra special. The EC beach area is unreal with beds, private palapas, and unreal service. The rooms are all unreal. We stayed in the regular direct ocean view room. Are the 2 story rooms unreal? Do it if you can.

I don't want to spoil everything about this hotel and want you to experience it for yourself. I have been all over Cancun, all over the Riveria Maya, Play Del Carmen, Talum. I have stayed in Condos, Private Houses, and most of the All Inclusives in Mexico and the islands. Excellence Playa Mujeres is a special property and is a must go hotel if you are looking for an amazing property. It has enough to offer that you don't need to leave the property and you will not go crazy.

Special extra thanks to Ceasar, Sandra, Dennis, Alexander, Precilla in the EC Club. Special thanks to the Tennis Pro- Jon! You all went out of your way to EXCEED EXPECTATIONS! If people at a hotel can exceed my expectations at an All Inclusive, then that my friend is the kind of place you want to be:) It doesn't happen to often anymore.

Enjoy this property, it is unique and top class!

Room Tip: The rooms at this hotel are all wonderful. You can't go wrong. I wouldn't pay more for a roo...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

This is a very nice resort that has been well detailed by reviewers. I'll just hit a few negatives that have been lightly mentioned. Overall, we had a great time there. The evening shows are great. Get a seat in the front row.

#1 There is no snorkeling off shore at this resort. You can put on a mask and snorkel and swim around but you will see very few fish in the short-visibility water.

#2 We went in late March of 2010 and the temps dip into the 60's during the night. This means that even the "heated" main pool is cold for most of the day. Most people wait until they've had a couple of tropical drinks before you go in. Actually, most people don't go in at all.

#3 If you like sushi, don't go to the sushi restaurant. Wait until you get back home to satisfy your sushi craving.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Ipswich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

We stayed for 2 weeks at the Excellence Playa Mujeres for our Honeymoon & my birthday.

Rooms:(staying in Excellence club)
Huge, modern,clean, great balcony with double lounger, Jacuzzi with indoor & outdoor access,huge TV, great mini bar replenshied daily. Everything from toothbrush to colgate toothpaste in bathroom.The beds were the most comfortable i have ever stayed in, but if your short bring a step ladder lol. Evening turndown service where they leave little "mexican" gifts.

Entertainment:
There were daily activities and evening entertainment. One thing we found is that the evening entertainment started at the wrong time, most shows would start at 9pm which meant that you had to be out for dinner really early. We only saw 3 shows, the michael jackson, fire show & magician. The shows were good but we didnt go to the others due to times, also they were more live music than actually shows.

Beach & pools:
There was plenty of choice for swimming pools although all the pools were lovely we found them to be a little cold, this was prob due to the weather we had, unfortunately we didnt have many days of sunshine but cant blame that on Excellence. We found the Jacuzzis all but 1 were also cold.
The days we used the beach we stayed on the private member side, the service here was amazing, they would make your beds up for, if you went for lunch they would re-make them. All the staff were very friendly, even gave me some aloe vera to help my sunburn from one of our good days. Unfortunately the sea wasnt clear but we were there when the hurricane was due to had been v windy.
The grounds of the resort were immaculate, so clean & manicured.

Food & Bars:
good choice of restaurants from French,japanese fusion & sushi,indian,steak ,lobster,Tapas & Mexican.
Our favourite was the Flavor Market (Tapas) we went here twice. we used the buffet for breakfast and lunch, very good selection of food.
Although at times we have stayed at dreams hotels you had the option of a buffet in the evening, this was good if you had a long day out on trips etc and didnt want to get super dressed up but at Excellence you didnt have this.
For men the dress code is very strict, you have to have shirt collars and long trousers so if you have nice smart cropped ones you need to buy a few more long ones.
We tried the grill at lunch but were dissapointed, the buffet was better.

The resort is amazing, the staff are great especially Juan at the Kafe Kafe bar. None of the staff could do too much to make sure your stay in enjoyable. there really was nothing to complain about, the resort is as says a 5* resort. HOWEVER.....we wont return but this is due to it lacking for us the fun factor & lack of thinigs todo when its raining, other resorts do "rainy day" activites but they didnt at Excellence. If your idea of a holiday is up early for breakfast and in bed by 11pm each night you will find it perfect. HOWEVER if you like a couple of late nights during your stay this wouldnt be for you, it would be nice if they would introduce some chill out bar areas etc where you can just relax, have a drink etc without the need for getting too dressed up, or use during the day inbetween pool time.

OVERALL a fantastic resort with Excellent staff,great rooms, there is nothing to complain about. If you can get an excellence upgrade at a "promotional" price then do it, if just for the beach itself.

Room Tip: Pay the extra to get a sea view by going for Excellence club upgrade, but all rooms the same just th...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

This is my boyfriend and I second time staying at one of the Excellence resorts, first time was in Punta Cuna which was so much fun, this time in Mexico Playa Muejeres from Aug.1-Aug.8. Each time was priceless. The staff are always so friendly and accommodating. The grill is the best, we always ate at the grill for breakfast, lunch, and sometimes dinner. The other couple we were with always ordered grilled shrimp (which was never on the menu by the way) but they always made it for him and gave him extras. Carlos, the latin dance instructor was awesome he made you feel so comfortable as if you knew him all your life, and last but not least Mariana (guest service manager) who showed me a new way to use my space saver bag and pack, we received fruit everyday, champagne and shirts and bags. I can't until next year again so that we could stay at another Excellence resort, they are the best and I cant imagine myself staying anywhere else, its a tradition. P.S I finally saw Michael Jackson loved it

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Minersville, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

3rd trip back to excellence playa mujeres in 1 year could not get over the staff management
And service really made to feel special.

Have stayed in Mexico. About 8 times in last three years, have stayed at ritz Carlton , Leblanc
Excellence riveria Cancun , secrets maroma twice and Iberostar grand paraiso. Twice
Look forward to returning to Mexico in may for our 20th anniversary , and possible vow
Renewal.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Charlotte
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

This review is a little late in coming, but as we prepare to head back to the Riviera Maya in December of this year it seemed appropriate to offer some feedback from a trip to Excellence Playa Mujeres last November. So, we traveled to EPM in November 2010 for a short 4 night get-away. We normally go to smaller resorts but decided to give EPM a try. We were not disappointed.

We used Cancun Transfers and had the Lincoln Navigator (I think, although it may have been another brand SUV) as our car. It was very efficient, they were waiting on us upon arrival, had drinks we requested in the car and had a nice ride to EPM.

We stayed in a 2-story rooftop suite in the Excellence Club. Room number 9458. I would highly recommend this room. The view was unbelievable, completely private and great all the way around. The rooms have been well described in other reviews and I would just confirm that they they are very clean, nice style and decor and overall wonderful. Much talk about the rooftop terrace and whether other people use these or not. Personally we did use this space and enjoyed it at different times during the day when we would spend some time there in the morning or at night. We worked with our building concierge and got the heat adjusted s that the pool was warm and very usable. I did offer a few tips to get this done but the concierge was more than willing to accommodate and make sure the water was comfortable. As noted in other reviews, the amenities in the bathroom for Excellence Club (Bulgari products) were very nice, we really enjoyed this!

The grounds, pools and beach were all really nice. We spend time in both the Excellence Club private cabanas as well as at the main pool. Both were great and offered different styles depending on what we were in the mood for. We usually went to the private cabanas in excellence club in the first half of the day to read, have drinks and relax. Then in the afternoon we would meander towards the other pools to enjoy some of the atmosphere and to 'people watch.' There do seem to be a fair number of wedding crowds at EPM and this was true when we were there. Not necessarily something we seek out when vacationing as this offers large groups around the different areas, but it also did not detract from our time. The private Excellence Club lounge was nice, but we did not really use it alot. We popped in a few times for computer access and to grab a few snacks, but overall I would not consider this something we really needed.

Restaurants at EPM were all great. We experienced each of them while there. There was not really anything that we did not enjoy. Breakfast was always great and we had a number of nice dinners. Good food, good service. The nightlife at the resort was also fun. The MJ show is good as others have pointed out. The chairs in the outdoor theater are very comfortable which really makes watching the shows for a little bit enjoyable. We did hit the nightclub one night and it was alot of fun. Definitely 'happening' on the night we were there and enough fun to last us for the trip:) The martini bar was a nice place to have drinks before or after dinner and they certainly make some great drinks.

Overall a great trip and I would definitely recommend as an all-inclusive upscale resort. If I can answer any more detailed questions for anyone I would be happy to do so.

Room Tip: Room 9458 if you are going for a 2-story rooftop suite
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!