“Best all inclusive we have stayed in” 4 of 5 stars

Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Carr Punta Sam Km 5.2, Playa Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Romsey
“Best all inclusive we have stayed in”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

Really good quality 'all inclusive'. The restaurants were very impressive - all a-la-carte and a good choice offered. We used it as a stopping off point between trips (three one day visits). The staff were all very helpful. The only downside was the wait at the reception desk to check in/out - they like their paperwork.

Room Tip: The low number rooms in building 2 are close to the resort aircon plant. So if that sort of think i...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (860)
Radcliff, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

Just returned from 6 awesome days at Villa Del Palmar in Cancun! 8/16 to 8/22 The resort is beautiful! We arrived the evening of the 16th and were greeted with a non-alcoholic Pina Colada. It was cold so we were happy! Because our package required us to, we attended the time share presentation the next day. I would say it was a total of 2 hours, with 30 minutes being breakfast, and 90 minutes the presentation and tour. Our representative did not pressure us, although they tried 3 different people to sell to us 3 different times. We did enjoy the tour...especially the penthouse suite!

Location:
Villa Del Palmar is about 30 to 45 minutes from the airport and about 20 minutes from downtown Cancun. Honestly, I liked not being near downtown. We went there one night for dinner and I was happy to be in a quiet area.

Rooms:
My husband and I were with another couple, so we got a one bedroom connected to a studio. This way we had a common area to relax and talk together. Both rooms had a balcony with a hammock, chairs and a table. Both rooms were very nice, clean, comfortable and had a safe.

Restaurants:
There were 4 restaurants and the Bite Bar (out by the pool). Our package would only allow us to go to Davino's, Zama and the Bite Bar (we would have had to pay for La Casona STK and Hiroshi, so we did not eat at those two). Davino's and Zama both have a breakfast buffet. Davino's has a bigger and better selection. Keep in mind, =for us, these restaurants are not like where we would usually eat at home, but if you take your time, read the descriptions, you will find something you like. On some nights they had buffets at 8 pm by the pool/beach. Those were good as well. The Bite Bar is where you could find wings, pizza, a burger, fish sandwich, nachos, etc. It was all good.

Service:
The service could not have been any better. Manuel and Lety (poolside) were awesome! For the most part, the service in the restaurants were great as well. Sometimes we even ended up with the same wait staff and they remembered our requests. Everyone was nice and as helpful as they could be...I mean that in a good way, sometimes they just didn't understand what we wanted, but they did try!!

Pools:
5 Beautiful pools. My only complaint about the pools was that they were warm! It was like bath water! Nothing anyone could do, it is just that hot in Cancun in August. Needless to say, that's where we were every day...poolside! :)

Hot tubs:
I found 4, but it was so warm, we usually just stayed in the pool.

Beach:
Like most reviews, the beach was rocky and full of seaweed, but we were told that could take some time to get it the way the everyone would like to see it. That still did not stop us from enjoying the beach or kayaking in the ocean. It was too beautiful not to enjoy!

Sightseeing:
We did go to Isla Mujeres. The beaches there were beautiful. We rented a golf cart for $50/day and toured the whole island. We found a nice beach, stayed there for a while, ate lunch and shopped some on the island. We used the Ultramar Ferry (it is air conditioned) and about $30 USD roundtrip. We also went to Plaza 28 to do some shopping. You have to reserve a shuttle and it will return in 3 hours to pick you up. Believe me, you will not need 3 hours, we wanted to return after 1 hour! You can always take a taxi back!

Weather:
Before we left, my husband would check the weather for Cancun. It said that the whole week we were supposed to get storms and rain. It ended up only raining twice...one afternoon for about an hour and later on that night while we slept. My only complaint about the weather would be the humidity. It was so humid!

All in all it was a great vacation. I am not saying every little thing was perfect, I haven't been on a 'perfect vacation', but every vacation is only what you make of it. We were in the pool one day and we overheard these 2 ladies talking about the resort. One lady did nothing but complain...and her teenage son would put his opinions in. But, you know what....it is their opinions. A vacation is only what you make of it, and we only get a couple a year, so we choose to make it great ones, and that is what this one was...great!

Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

I loved this hotel. Great service, great view and great beach.
The place is wonderful. If I could go back to where I started, I would have said "no" to the time share presentation. I lost valuable beach time being hassled by desperate sales representatives. In the end, the whole "nice hotel feeling" became a "they are trying to scam me" feeling. I paid full price for my stay and regret to have said yes to it. In fact, on my first day in Cancun I said no to two other Time Share sales people. What is wrong with them? Why so many in one place?
But the place is wondeful.
They have 4 restaurants:
The Japanese and the Steak House are excellent. Really great fusion Japanese.
The Mexican is ok, and I didnt try the Greek.
Staff are very courteous and helpful.
All inclusive plan works very well, just make sure you order drinks from different bars until you find your favorite place: the drinks made at the beach bar have less alcohol and they put less effort into their presentation.
Swimming pools are nice, but not refreshing.
Towel service is great, room service is good too.
Bedrooms are good with good amenities.
Very Quiet air conditioning in rooms, but you can hear all the noise from your neighbour's suites.
Front desk staff is helpful.
If you want to rent a car from their travel agency, be prepared to be very patient...the girl that works there has no experience and has a habit of arriving 20 min late to her shift (if you want to leave early know that this will not happen). Check if the GPS charger is really working before you leave with the car, otherwise she will charge you.
Some people complain about the sea grass in the water. In a week, there were windy days where the water and sand were full of sea grass, and other days where everything was clear. It is unpredictable.The beach is still beautiful anyway and the water is amazing.
The beach is small and it is not crowded - there are no hotels right beside this one, so it is a more isolated area.
If you like the crowd and will go to the Cancun clubs, avoid this place. You will need a 20 min taxi drive to get to them. This place is not in the Cancun hotel zone - it is in Playa de las Mujeres, wich is a little further.
Great for couples and families with small children.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floors. There was a bad smell on the first floor hallways during the whole week.
Lancaster, Minnesota, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

Weather was great if you like it hot and humid. Never rained while were there. We visited 3 of the 4 restaurants on site. While the food was good the proportions of food were not in comparison with U.S. standards. Prices were ridiculous high. To get the 15% discount on the restaurants and drinks on site, you pretty much have to commit yourself to attending the time share seminar which they try to sell you except they call it something else. They promise you 90 minutes but we were there 2 1/2 hours. They they try to make you feel guilty after you say no. Like all other ones I have attended I have to say their representatives (time share ones) were the rudest. Watch out for Lucy !
All in all if you can make it through the seminar the rest was average. Average cause the water is not crystal blue and clear like the Hotel Zone which has waves. Villa Del Palmar makes up for it in many ways by having plenty of activities for kids and adults.

Room Tip: Be sure to request for a hammock if assigned the 8th and 9th floors. We didn't get ours until ha...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

The hotel was beautiful, the food exquisite and the service unmatched. We had a ton of fun all week hanging out in the pools, on the beach and taking part in the nightly activities that the resort's entertainment staff planned out.

I can't recommend this enough, if you want to have fun in paradise, or simply relax listening to the ocean, Villa del Palmar can't be beat.

Room Tip: I would recommend getting at least the 1 bedroom suite, the "studio" room was tiny, but at...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Littleton, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

I really enjoy this location, and the hotel. The restaurants were especially wonderful, with a fresh sushi restaurant with plenty of sashimi dishes!
The adult only pool was also an added bonus, with many umbrellas available to choose from.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great! No bad rooms!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

Overall we had a nice stay at this hotel. There were many good and only a few bad points which I will summarise. We booked a full rate on the hotels website so we were never hassled to commit to a timeshare meeting. At all. Check-in took quite a while but was very thorough and informative.The 1brm ocean view suites are amazing. One of the best rooms I've stayed in. Huge balcony and comfy bed. Great to have a laundry. BYO powder. Housekeeping do a great job and there are oodles of towels.
I thought the beach was nice and we spent much time there because the pools are all WAY too hot. Not pleasureable at all.
Do yourself a favor and catch the ferry to Isla Mujeres for the day - top spot.
Food was better than average (we were all inclusive) but the restaurant reservation system leaves a lot to be desired. Ensure you have a confirmation number and name and time of who you booked with. There seemed to sometimes be a buffet option (on some nights) but you never seem to know if or when it is on so best to book restaurants or end up with nothing.
Kids menu options are limited. Minibar was not refilled every day.
Room service was good except for an extremely rude man who phoned me back to tell me that I didnt order what I said I ordered. Not great customer service.
We tipped cash with all drinks and meals which I think helped even though it was included.
The spa was lovely. The massage ladies - fabulous!
Your bill on the TV screen seems more complicated than it is and we only had 1 "unusual" charge at checkout which was promptly rectified. Sushi and Steak places are the pick of the restaurants. Gate security was appreciated. I would reccomend this hotel to anyone looking for an alternative to the hotel zone.

Room Tip: floor 5 and above
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!