“Beware of Time Share sellers” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Carr Punta Sam Km 5.2, Playa Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Ontario
“Beware of Time Share sellers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

I loved this hotel. Great service, great view and great beach.
The place is wonderful. If I could go back to where I started, I would have said "no" to the time share presentation. I lost valuable beach time being hassled by desperate sales representatives. In the end, the whole "nice hotel feeling" became a "they are trying to scam me" feeling. I paid full price for my stay and regret to have said yes to it. In fact, on my first day in Cancun I said no to two other Time Share sales people. What is wrong with them? Why so many in one place?
But the place is wondeful.
They have 4 restaurants:
The Japanese and the Steak House are excellent. Really great fusion Japanese.
The Mexican is ok, and I didnt try the Greek.
Staff are very courteous and helpful.
All inclusive plan works very well, just make sure you order drinks from different bars until you find your favorite place: the drinks made at the beach bar have less alcohol and they put less effort into their presentation.
Swimming pools are nice, but not refreshing.
Towel service is great, room service is good too.
Bedrooms are good with good amenities.
Very Quiet air conditioning in rooms, but you can hear all the noise from your neighbour's suites.
Front desk staff is helpful.
If you want to rent a car from their travel agency, be prepared to be very patient...the girl that works there has no experience and has a habit of arriving 20 min late to her shift (if you want to leave early know that this will not happen). Check if the GPS charger is really working before you leave with the car, otherwise she will charge you.
Some people complain about the sea grass in the water. In a week, there were windy days where the water and sand were full of sea grass, and other days where everything was clear. It is unpredictable.The beach is still beautiful anyway and the water is amazing.
The beach is small and it is not crowded - there are no hotels right beside this one, so it is a more isolated area.
If you like the crowd and will go to the Cancun clubs, avoid this place. You will need a 20 min taxi drive to get to them. This place is not in the Cancun hotel zone - it is in Playa de las Mujeres, wich is a little further.
Great for couples and families with small children.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floors. There was a bad smell on the first floor hallways during the whole week.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Quality A, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Ms. Maria L:

On behalf of all our passionated colleagues at Villa del Palmar, Cancun we truly appreciate your kind remarks in your post. We have paid special attention to all those things that were below your expectations. Thank you so much for pointing them out. We will use these observations to review our process and implement training modules to ensure we improve our performance.

We hope you return to “su casa” soon and that you allow me to personally look after your reservation. Looking forward to your return, I remain at your service.

Villa del Palmar Resort & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,021)
Lancaster, Minnesota, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

Weather was great if you like it hot and humid. Never rained while were there. We visited 3 of the 4 restaurants on site. While the food was good the proportions of food were not in comparison with U.S. standards. Prices were ridiculous high. To get the 15% discount on the restaurants and drinks on site, you pretty much have to commit yourself to attending the time share seminar which they try to sell you except they call it something else. They promise you 90 minutes but we were there 2 1/2 hours. They they try to make you feel guilty after you say no. Like all other ones I have attended I have to say their representatives (time share ones) were the rudest. Watch out for Lucy !
All in all if you can make it through the seminar the rest was average. Average cause the water is not crystal blue and clear like the Hotel Zone which has waves. Villa Del Palmar makes up for it in many ways by having plenty of activities for kids and adults.

Room Tip: Be sure to request for a hammock if assigned the 8th and 9th floors. We didn't get ours until ha...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

The hotel was beautiful, the food exquisite and the service unmatched. We had a ton of fun all week hanging out in the pools, on the beach and taking part in the nightly activities that the resort's entertainment staff planned out.

I can't recommend this enough, if you want to have fun in paradise, or simply relax listening to the ocean, Villa del Palmar can't be beat.

Room Tip: I would recommend getting at least the 1 bedroom suite, the "studio" room was tiny, but at...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

look after your reservation. Looking forward to your return, I remain at
your service.

Littleton, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

I really enjoy this location, and the hotel. The restaurants were especially wonderful, with a fresh sushi restaurant with plenty of sashimi dishes!
The adult only pool was also an added bonus, with many umbrellas available to choose from.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great! No bad rooms!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

look after your reservation. Looking forward to your return, I remain at
your service.

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

Overall we had a nice stay at this hotel. There were many good and only a few bad points which I will summarise. We booked a full rate on the hotels website so we were never hassled to commit to a timeshare meeting. At all. Check-in took quite a while but was very thorough and informative.The 1brm ocean view suites are amazing. One of the best rooms I've stayed in. Huge balcony and comfy bed. Great to have a laundry. BYO powder. Housekeeping do a great job and there are oodles of towels.
I thought the beach was nice and we spent much time there because the pools are all WAY too hot. Not pleasureable at all.
Do yourself a favor and catch the ferry to Isla Mujeres for the day - top spot.
Food was better than average (we were all inclusive) but the restaurant reservation system leaves a lot to be desired. Ensure you have a confirmation number and name and time of who you booked with. There seemed to sometimes be a buffet option (on some nights) but you never seem to know if or when it is on so best to book restaurants or end up with nothing.
Kids menu options are limited. Minibar was not refilled every day.
Room service was good except for an extremely rude man who phoned me back to tell me that I didnt order what I said I ordered. Not great customer service.
We tipped cash with all drinks and meals which I think helped even though it was included.
The spa was lovely. The massage ladies - fabulous!
Your bill on the TV screen seems more complicated than it is and we only had 1 "unusual" charge at checkout which was promptly rectified. Sushi and Steak places are the pick of the restaurants. Gate security was appreciated. I would reccomend this hotel to anyone looking for an alternative to the hotel zone.

Room Tip: floor 5 and above
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

Beautiful and new hotel with amazing rooms and amenities. I just can't stand the fact that this is my timeshare and they have to pressure us into their ridiculous "upsell" meetings when you first arrive as they hold their 15% Gold card over your head. If you don't go you don't get the discount. Absolutely ridiculous and not what they led me to believe in their initial sell. Be prepared for being hounded by the timeshare groupies competing for your business.
Other than that the drinks are great and the staff is top notch. Sunsets are on the non beach side of the hotel so that was unfortunate. I always enjoy the Puerto Vallarta sunsets! Food is just so-so. We go to outside restaurants to get more of the culture experience. Can't beat the fresh fish right off the boats or the amazing Ceviche!
Rooms serviced everyday and I like that. I love, love, love the washer and dryer. Beds are comfy. The nighttime serenades by musicians were the greatest. I would love to bring that saxophone player home with me! Amazing musicians!
Hotel is very close to ferry to Isla de Mujeres. That was a very fun day. Isla is special.
Watch out for dirty cops that target Americans or rental cars. They want money! Don't pay it. Tell them NO CASH! ONLY CREDIT CARD and take them up on their offer to pay ticket at police station. They will back right down. We told concierge and that was their advice. Too bad they got $70 from us. Live and learn. Watch out for Ricardo Mendoza on a motorcycle. He is a sleaze bag!
Beaches are nice. I love the semi-covered sunbeds. The infinity pool "just for elite members" is a bit ridiculous. No one was ever in it and some guy patrols the area asking to to move along if you aren't an "elite" member. Really a waste!
Free Wi-Fi.. That was excellent!
Great resort and great amenities. We will return. We enjoyed almost every minute. Just a few irritations.

Room Tip: It's our timeshare so we get two rooms with a living room. We had fourth floor right in the midd...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Brantford, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014 via mobile

In spite of construction, this place was amazing! It was exactly like the pictures...beautiful rooms and pools. Beach was less than satisfactory, but Isla Mujerus being so close, made up for it. Pools were way too warm, but not much you can do about that due to the outside temps. Service was great in most restaurants, some went out of their way, but others did not. Making a reservation for dinner every night seemed silly. Buffets were kind of bland, but eating off the menu was good, especially the Mexican! Spa was serene and staff was excellent! Great customer service!
Overall, we felt comfortable and safe and had a relaxing time.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!