“What a wonderful experience” 5 of 5 stars

You added Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Carr Punta Sam Km 5.2, Playa Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
“What a wonderful experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

The hotel was beautiful, the food exquisite and the service unmatched. We had a ton of fun all week hanging out in the pools, on the beach and taking part in the nightly activities that the resort's entertainment staff planned out.

I can't recommend this enough, if you want to have fun in paradise, or simply relax listening to the ocean, Villa del Palmar can't be beat.

Room Tip: I would recommend getting at least the 1 bedroom suite, the "studio" room was tiny, but at...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (821)
Littleton, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

I really enjoy this location, and the hotel. The restaurants were especially wonderful, with a fresh sushi restaurant with plenty of sashimi dishes!
The adult only pool was also an added bonus, with many umbrellas available to choose from.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great! No bad rooms!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

Overall we had a nice stay at this hotel. There were many good and only a few bad points which I will summarise. We booked a full rate on the hotels website so we were never hassled to commit to a timeshare meeting. At all. Check-in took quite a while but was very thorough and informative.The 1brm ocean view suites are amazing. One of the best rooms I've stayed in. Huge balcony and comfy bed. Great to have a laundry. BYO powder. Housekeeping do a great job and there are oodles of towels.
I thought the beach was nice and we spent much time there because the pools are all WAY too hot. Not pleasureable at all.
Do yourself a favor and catch the ferry to Isla Mujeres for the day - top spot.
Food was better than average (we were all inclusive) but the restaurant reservation system leaves a lot to be desired. Ensure you have a confirmation number and name and time of who you booked with. There seemed to sometimes be a buffet option (on some nights) but you never seem to know if or when it is on so best to book restaurants or end up with nothing.
Kids menu options are limited. Minibar was not refilled every day.
Room service was good except for an extremely rude man who phoned me back to tell me that I didnt order what I said I ordered. Not great customer service.
We tipped cash with all drinks and meals which I think helped even though it was included.
The spa was lovely. The massage ladies - fabulous!
Your bill on the TV screen seems more complicated than it is and we only had 1 "unusual" charge at checkout which was promptly rectified. Sushi and Steak places are the pick of the restaurants. Gate security was appreciated. I would reccomend this hotel to anyone looking for an alternative to the hotel zone.

Room Tip: floor 5 and above
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

Beautiful and new hotel with amazing rooms and amenities. I just can't stand the fact that this is my timeshare and they have to pressure us into their ridiculous "upsell" meetings when you first arrive as they hold their 15% Gold card over your head. If you don't go you don't get the discount. Absolutely ridiculous and not what they led me to believe in their initial sell. Be prepared for being hounded by the timeshare groupies competing for your business.
Other than that the drinks are great and the staff is top notch. Sunsets are on the non beach side of the hotel so that was unfortunate. I always enjoy the Puerto Vallarta sunsets! Food is just so-so. We go to outside restaurants to get more of the culture experience. Can't beat the fresh fish right off the boats or the amazing Ceviche!
Rooms serviced everyday and I like that. I love, love, love the washer and dryer. Beds are comfy. The nighttime serenades by musicians were the greatest. I would love to bring that saxophone player home with me! Amazing musicians!
Hotel is very close to ferry to Isla de Mujeres. That was a very fun day. Isla is special.
Watch out for dirty cops that target Americans or rental cars. They want money! Don't pay it. Tell them NO CASH! ONLY CREDIT CARD and take them up on their offer to pay ticket at police station. They will back right down. We told concierge and that was their advice. Too bad they got $70 from us. Live and learn. Watch out for Ricardo Mendoza on a motorcycle. He is a sleaze bag!
Beaches are nice. I love the semi-covered sunbeds. The infinity pool "just for elite members" is a bit ridiculous. No one was ever in it and some guy patrols the area asking to to move along if you aren't an "elite" member. Really a waste!
Free Wi-Fi.. That was excellent!
Great resort and great amenities. We will return. We enjoyed almost every minute. Just a few irritations.

Room Tip: It's our timeshare so we get two rooms with a living room. We had fourth floor right in the midd...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Brantford, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014 via mobile

In spite of construction, this place was amazing! It was exactly like the pictures...beautiful rooms and pools. Beach was less than satisfactory, but Isla Mujerus being so close, made up for it. Pools were way too warm, but not much you can do about that due to the outside temps. Service was great in most restaurants, some went out of their way, but others did not. Making a reservation for dinner every night seemed silly. Buffets were kind of bland, but eating off the menu was good, especially the Mexican! Spa was serene and staff was excellent! Great customer service!
Overall, we felt comfortable and safe and had a relaxing time.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

We bought in Cabo and have stayed at Villa Del Arco in Cabo San Lucas. We love it there but decided to try a new location. We are extremely happy with the resort in Cancun. The rooms are exactly like the ones in Cabo and the resort is just as nice. As stated by other reviewers, the beach water is not as pretty and that is a shame. However, I really enjoyed the cabana style beds on the beach. It was so comfy and cool. There are big pillows and the breeze is wonderful. Great place to read and relax with lots of spots with shade from all the palm trees. The sand was white and soft. So even though the water was not perfect-I enjoyed my time on the beach. Its nice that there are not a lot of vendors haggling you on the beach as well. Its terrible in Cabo. The resort is off by itself with no neighboring resorts or night life but I felt the resort did a good job of offering some sort of nightly entertainment from a Michael Jackson impersonator, pool party, karaoke, to a retro dance party. Attendance could make it a bit more fun but you make the most of it. It was nice to have the ferry to take over to the Island Of Mujeres. The ferry will take one hour. There are quicker/more expensive options but just save money (only $4 per person) and enjoy the ride. We went on the 11 am ferry arrived at noon. Bargained for a golf cart for the day ($50--they started at $60). You can wait and walk 10 mins from the ferry and maybe get a golf cart for $40? But we paid the $50 and a taxi took us to another place where there was no lines. So your choice here. We enjoyed the day driving around the island, stopping at a beach front location where we took pics with a nurse shark for $5. We enjoyed some guacamole and a drink too. Then we carried on and stopped at a turtle aquarium place ($3). Nothing fancy but the kids enjoyed it. We drove the whole island then went to the beach. The water is really pretty on the island. We turned our golf cart in at 5:30, walked to a nearby restaurant and shopped a bit. It took us 15 mins to walk from the main part of town to the ferry. We caught the 7 pm ferry and enjoyed some sunset pics as we sailed back to our resort.
We also spent one day at Xel-Ha. It's an all inclusive water park. You can snorkel, zip-line, tube thru the mangroves and jump off cliffs. It's a fun day but a long drive so it's an all day thing but worth it IF you get discount tkts by doing a timeshare presentation which you may be asked to do at the airport. We also did a members update (no pressure) and they gave a discount for massages at the spa. I love-love the spa at this resort! Do the whole hydrotherapy thing before your massage! We felt so spoiled and absolutely loved the tropical, outdoor experience. One of our best spa experiences and we did it as a family. the huts are indoor with air conditioning and my husband were together for a couples massage. The restaurants are all very good but portions are small. Not a big deal if you have all inclusive so you can order several things. But the meals are pricey. We could not get reservations into the Japanese place our last night. My fault for waiting until that morning to make it but we had no problems all week but I guess that was a busy day (Wed?). As far as the all-inclusive is concerned.......we did not do it and I think we saved money. I'm not real happen with the price and structure of the program. It's too expensive for children and people who don't drink alcohol. I think my husband and I would get our money's worth but my kids won't eat $89 worth of food a day. Also the fact that we like to spread out our tours and excursions, we don't want to do 3 days in a row. So we stopped at Walmart on the way from the airport and bought beer, rum, wine, water, juice, eggs and tortillas and sandwiches, chips and fruit. It is nice to have the kitchen to offset the costs of doing a meal out all the time. But we still enjoyed eating by the pool and trying each restaurant. It was just nice with kids to have Watermelon and a quick sandwich. Don't forget laundry detergent and dish soap so you can clean up. Those products are offered at the resort market but they are more expensive. I know you don't want to clean on vacation but I love having clean clothes in my suitcase. The only complaint is that the pools are not cool. It feels like bath water. But we had fun playing water volleyball and beach volleyball. The kids also went on the banana boat ($20 per person for 25 mins). We bargained for $15. Overall, this was an awesome vacation. It would have gotten 5 stars if the beach water was prettier and no seaweed and if the pools were colder. Service was average to excellent-it varies. Oh Yeah! the beach/tikki bar with the swings has happy hour from 5-6 pm. we showed up at 5:50 and they said they were closed. we showed them the time on our cell phone and they said sorry we are closed. Attention managment: this is not acceptable! You only offer happy hour for one hour but not even give us a full hour. We were redirected to the lobby bar which is quite a long walk so this was very disappointing. Hence, why it is nice to just buy your own beer and rum. If we wanted to walk to the lobby then we might as well walk to our room. The resort loses sales when you treat your guests like this. Other then that everything else is beautiful and we had a wonderful time.

Room Tip: We are members and we never get a good room. Our room was ok but not what you are promised when you...

New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

We had a WONDERFUL vacation in VDP. We travelled with another family; we were a group of 10. We had no problem making reservations at the restaurants. We had the all inclusive plan, and though expensive, it certainly made the week care free. We thought the food was very good. Even the Beach snack bar had fresh and tasty choices for kids and adults. Drinks were terrific, and the beach service was overall fast. Our favorite bar was the LOBBY bar; the drinks were the best and the service was EXCELLENTE. We went there Every night before dinner.

BOTH of our excursions were terrific. Xel Ha with Canada transfers/private/all included. Also went to Isla Mujeres and dove with whale sharks with SeaHawk Divers.

**Our ONLY complaint for the week was that we had no relief from Mexico's summer HEAT. The pools were 95 degrees F or even hotter, and the beach water was probably 90 degrees. The worst was that Davino had NO air-conditioning in the dining room the whole time we were there. The night we ate at Casona there was no a/c. Our hotel rooms did not cool well for 2 days.
VDP needs to get some engineers working on this problem. Everybody was uncomfortable, the vacationers and the workers.

If VDP fixes the a/c, and routinely brings in some cool water for the pools, i would DEFIANTLY return to this property.

We had a wonderful vacation and hope to return again soon.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!