“We are timeshare owners and our resort is awesome!” 4 of 5 stars

Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Carr Punta Sam Km 5.2, Playa Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Houston, Texas
“We are timeshare owners and our resort is awesome!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

We bought in Cabo and have stayed at Villa Del Arco in Cabo San Lucas. We love it there but decided to try a new location. We are extremely happy with the resort in Cancun. The rooms are exactly like the ones in Cabo and the resort is just as nice. As stated by other reviewers, the beach water is not as pretty and that is a shame. However, I really enjoyed the cabana style beds on the beach. It was so comfy and cool. There are big pillows and the breeze is wonderful. Great place to read and relax with lots of spots with shade from all the palm trees. The sand was white and soft. So even though the water was not perfect-I enjoyed my time on the beach. Its nice that there are not a lot of vendors haggling you on the beach as well. Its terrible in Cabo. The resort is off by itself with no neighboring resorts or night life but I felt the resort did a good job of offering some sort of nightly entertainment from a Michael Jackson impersonator, pool party, karaoke, to a retro dance party. Attendance could make it a bit more fun but you make the most of it. It was nice to have the ferry to take over to the Island Of Mujeres. The ferry will take one hour. There are quicker/more expensive options but just save money (only $4 per person) and enjoy the ride. We went on the 11 am ferry arrived at noon. Bargained for a golf cart for the day ($50--they started at $60). You can wait and walk 10 mins from the ferry and maybe get a golf cart for $40? But we paid the $50 and a taxi took us to another place where there was no lines. So your choice here. We enjoyed the day driving around the island, stopping at a beach front location where we took pics with a nurse shark for $5. We enjoyed some guacamole and a drink too. Then we carried on and stopped at a turtle aquarium place ($3). Nothing fancy but the kids enjoyed it. We drove the whole island then went to the beach. The water is really pretty on the island. We turned our golf cart in at 5:30, walked to a nearby restaurant and shopped a bit. It took us 15 mins to walk from the main part of town to the ferry. We caught the 7 pm ferry and enjoyed some sunset pics as we sailed back to our resort.
We also spent one day at Xel-Ha. It's an all inclusive water park. You can snorkel, zip-line, tube thru the mangroves and jump off cliffs. It's a fun day but a long drive so it's an all day thing but worth it IF you get discount tkts by doing a timeshare presentation which you may be asked to do at the airport. We also did a members update (no pressure) and they gave a discount for massages at the spa. I love-love the spa at this resort! Do the whole hydrotherapy thing before your massage! We felt so spoiled and absolutely loved the tropical, outdoor experience. One of our best spa experiences and we did it as a family. the huts are indoor with air conditioning and my husband were together for a couples massage. The restaurants are all very good but portions are small. Not a big deal if you have all inclusive so you can order several things. But the meals are pricey. We could not get reservations into the Japanese place our last night. My fault for waiting until that morning to make it but we had no problems all week but I guess that was a busy day (Wed?). As far as the all-inclusive is concerned.......we did not do it and I think we saved money. I'm not real happen with the price and structure of the program. It's too expensive for children and people who don't drink alcohol. I think my husband and I would get our money's worth but my kids won't eat $89 worth of food a day. Also the fact that we like to spread out our tours and excursions, we don't want to do 3 days in a row. So we stopped at Walmart on the way from the airport and bought beer, rum, wine, water, juice, eggs and tortillas and sandwiches, chips and fruit. It is nice to have the kitchen to offset the costs of doing a meal out all the time. But we still enjoyed eating by the pool and trying each restaurant. It was just nice with kids to have Watermelon and a quick sandwich. Don't forget laundry detergent and dish soap so you can clean up. Those products are offered at the resort market but they are more expensive. I know you don't want to clean on vacation but I love having clean clothes in my suitcase. The only complaint is that the pools are not cool. It feels like bath water. But we had fun playing water volleyball and beach volleyball. The kids also went on the banana boat ($20 per person for 25 mins). We bargained for $15. Overall, this was an awesome vacation. It would have gotten 5 stars if the beach water was prettier and no seaweed and if the pools were colder. Service was average to excellent-it varies. Oh Yeah! the beach/tikki bar with the swings has happy hour from 5-6 pm. we showed up at 5:50 and they said they were closed. we showed them the time on our cell phone and they said sorry we are closed. Attention managment: this is not acceptable! You only offer happy hour for one hour but not even give us a full hour. We were redirected to the lobby bar which is quite a long walk so this was very disappointing. Hence, why it is nice to just buy your own beer and rum. If we wanted to walk to the lobby then we might as well walk to our room. The resort loses sales when you treat your guests like this. Other then that everything else is beautiful and we had a wonderful time.

Room Tip: We are members and we never get a good room. Our room was ok but not what you are promised when you...

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (859)
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

We had a WONDERFUL vacation in VDP. We travelled with another family; we were a group of 10. We had no problem making reservations at the restaurants. We had the all inclusive plan, and though expensive, it certainly made the week care free. We thought the food was very good. Even the Beach snack bar had fresh and tasty choices for kids and adults. Drinks were terrific, and the beach service was overall fast. Our favorite bar was the LOBBY bar; the drinks were the best and the service was EXCELLENTE. We went there Every night before dinner.

BOTH of our excursions were terrific. Xel Ha with Canada transfers/private/all included. Also went to Isla Mujeres and dove with whale sharks with SeaHawk Divers.

**Our ONLY complaint for the week was that we had no relief from Mexico's summer HEAT. The pools were 95 degrees F or even hotter, and the beach water was probably 90 degrees. The worst was that Davino had NO air-conditioning in the dining room the whole time we were there. The night we ate at Casona there was no a/c. Our hotel rooms did not cool well for 2 days.
VDP needs to get some engineers working on this problem. Everybody was uncomfortable, the vacationers and the workers.

If VDP fixes the a/c, and routinely brings in some cool water for the pools, i would DEFIANTLY return to this property.

We had a wonderful vacation and hope to return again soon.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Hershey, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

I went to the timeshare presentation for Villa Del Palmar Cancun Luxury Resort & Spa timeshare. Unless you really can afford a high scale pricey timeshare, don't waste your time going to their presentation. They tell you it would be only 90 min, no obligation but they sure pressure you into buying. Their scam is their half price day trips excursions which end up being a total rip off! If you go with them, don't book any trips with My Cancun Experience Travel Agent. They are a total rip off! They book you on 'day trips' charge you full price and you end up just spending a couple of hours in the excursion. I took my family on a day trip and ended up spending 6 hours in a bus and one hour at the park. Also, the beach in this resort is not clean or nice at all. The rooms are very beautiful but you only sleep there so choose another place to stay near the hotel zone where the beaches are nice and more access to the downtown areas.

Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

Very nice hotel. Service is excellent from the staff. Food is very good in general. But you are so far out in the country side, it is a $35 taxi ride to the hotel zone and $25 to get to the city center. You can not walk to anything as there is nothing near the hotel. Feel myself like I am in the middle of the hell. Such a bad location for a not a bad resort. And one more thing is ATM machines don't work((( the management knows about this but does not care((( so you need to go the down town to get cash for taxi. Ok, the biggest issue of this hotel is the worse management ever. And the beach is the worst in the whole cancun area((((((((( Other than that is OK! ;))))))) Have a wonderful vocation everybody!!!!;)

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Chino, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Love the resort beautiful, and staff very nice! The only disappointment is the beach is not on a good location. But I have no regrets! Food is good nightly entertainment, resort provides free kayak paddle boards, very nice gym. also one more disappointment the endless pool is only provided for elite members which is a extra cost!

Room Tip: Getting a room above the front desk has the best view.

Buffalo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

So there's a lot to talk about for this vacation destination, so I'll break it down into food, amenities/pools, rooms, and pre-planning tips & excursions.

Firstly I would like to note that my friend and I opted for the deluxe ocean view room and the all inclusive option and we booked through cheap Caribbean. When we got to the hotel we were upgraded for free to a one bedroom suite, I had heard this was common.

Food-
Ultimately the food at this resort was high quality aside from the food offered at bite bar which we found to be average. The food at all of the other restaurants was absolutely magnificent. The friend I traveled with is a picky eater and was able to find something at each of the restaurants. Fresh fish and meat were offered at all of the restaurants with many options lending to the catch of the day. We found that zama had the best lunch options (as zama and bite bar are the only places that offer lunch) We had no issues with water contamination and we drank the water they provided at the table. We had great experiences with all of the servers we encountered at all the restaurants and are deeply thankful for their recommendations and service! They made our trip special. We found that traveling in august was exceptionally hot so we learned to ask for outdoor/ or window seating in the restaurants that don't offer air conditioning as you can catch a breeze outside better than inside.
We ordered breakfast via room service every day and had it set up on our patio each morning to enjoy the view and dine peacefully. It was wonderful with plenty of options. FYI Room service is free 24 hours a day for all inclusive!
All of the drinks were great, we really enjoyed the bahama mama's poolside served by Lety. There is also corona and modelo offered at all of the bars. Ask for double shots if you would like to taste the alcohol. ;)

Amenities/pools-
We very much enjoyed the pools; however, the water was very warm. We found that the coolest pool was the one with the waterfall bridge closest to the lobby. We had no issues with the beach as other people had stated - it was always clean. I don't understand the complaints about seaweed, if you're looking for a seaweed free environment don't travel to an ocean, travel to an indoor water park.
We got massages at the resort spa and were amazed with the quality. I had a deep tissue massage and felt like a new person the next day. The people that work at the spa are absolutely incredible as well.

Rooms-
Our room was outstanding. As I mentioned we were upgraded to the one bedroom suite which includes one king-sized bed. We originally planned on having two beds with our deluxe room but the living room/dining room/full kitchen/washer/dryer/jacuzzi tub/double balcony made up for it. And a Murphy bed on the wall. Someone came to clean our rooms each day while we were gone, which was absolutely wonderful. The decorations were modern and very comfortable - it felt like home!

Pre-planning tips & excursions-
I recommend bringing American money for tipping at the hotel and cab drivers/etc. Try and break your bills before you come!
The resort offers a bus to plaza 28 which is the biggest tourist trap I've ever experienced but I did get a lot of souvenirs out of the way. I recommend taking a taxi from plaza 28 to mercado 28 to get some better deals!

Wifi is $10 per day per device, and only available in the rooms and lobby area.

The all inclusive option is WORTH IT. Food is very expensive at this location if you plan on not leaving the resort and not doing all inclusive.

All in all we had a wonderful trip and were very much able to enjoy ourselves. I highly recommend it!

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

I have stayed in this resort twice in the last year with my wife and one year old child. The standard of service in this property is excellent. The waiting staff are so kind and always ready to help. They go around the pools and beach serving food as asking if you need anything and bring it to you right away. The food is great quality and the amenities are excellent. I am not a cocktail drinker so I can't really say much about the quality of the alcoholic beverages. We also like the rooms because the majority have what they call the one bedroom suite, which provides two separate spaces, which is very useful when you travel with small children that still take naps. Th rooms are fully equipped with washer and dryer, stove, fridge, etc. You can use everything provided you have dish and/or laundry soap. If not, the convenience store is fairly priced. A few things that I think they need to improve change and the reason I did not give it five stars:

1. There is no buffet lunch or dinner. You must register and wait for a table if you want to have a sit down lunch. For dinner, a reservation is necessary at one of their four restaurants. If you don't have a reservation or prefer not to wait for lunch, your only option is to eat fast food (pizza, wings, burgers) at the snack bar. You can also order room service (included in the all-inclusive package). The food at sit-down restaurants is delicious, by the way.

2. The beach is nice but quite a bit of dead seaweed accumulates in the shore. The hotel should make an effort to clean it out everyday.

3. The rooms are kept very cold and the temperature controls don't seem to work very well. The first time I thought mine was faulty but the second time I just realized the units just don't work very well.

Overall, a great property with excellent, friendly service and appropriate for families with children. You will not find DJs screaming and musing playing all day in this hotel.

Room Tip: Get the ocean view one bedroom suite, floors 5 or above.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!