“Beautiful Grounds and Facilities - Stay away from the Time Share Tour” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa

You added Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Carr Punta Sam Km 5.2, Playa Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Buffalo, New York, United States
“Beautiful Grounds and Facilities - Stay away from the Time Share Tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

The ride from the Airport is a bit .. long (scary). We booked through cheapcarribian.com and they were wonderful. Transportation was efficient and the staff was friendly.

Upon arrival at the Villa del Palmer we were greeted with tropical beverages and smiles. We had been traveling all day and just wanted to sit down and eat .. which we did. I could not understand why the "concierge" did not want the bellman to take care of getting our luggage to our room while we ate. I later discovered it is because the "concierge" was really a sales person rather than an employee dedicated to helping guests.

The rooms are beautiful, the pools are lovely and fun and not over crowded. The beach is very nice. The infinity pool has signs around it restricting it to "elite guests" - which we ignored. It was a bit off putting. If you have the misfortune to take the time-share tour, you will understand what they mean by delete members.

We were initially very impressed by the property. In fact, unlike countless other trips where we were offered time share tours, we decided to give this want to try. They promised to hours maximum and when our salesperson began the tour he indicated one hour, at most 90 min. we reminded him that our children were in the kids club and we had a limited time. He began the tour, taking Us on the property and then showing us the "elite" suite. In the middle of the tour, we had to stop the pickup our children as kids club closed down for the lunch hour. We were very impressed with the various rooms and especially with the elite suite.When we sat down to talk price is when things became dramatically uncomfortable. The 90 min. tour extended for over 3 hours and when I told them that my children needed to eat lunch they kept pushing for a deal. Finally, they let my wife and children leave and asked me to take 5 min. and complete a review of the tour. Little that I know that this was one final sales pitch. Unfortunately, I could not leave as they would not let me purchase the excursion tickets unless I completed the time-share pitch. This left me dealing with them for another 45 min., not as a quality review but as a final additional sales pitch. When I finally escaped the time-share hell I had to stand in line for another hour to purchase the excursion tickets at a reduced price. Unfortunately, that experience diminished the otherwise near-perfect resort.

As our stay continued, I noticed that the service was either excellent or nonexistent. Some of the staff bent over backwards to take care of us, others could not be bothered. The one thing that very much bothered me at this "all-inclusive resort" was the constant obligation to tip if you wanted actual service. We generally tip very well and I can honestly say we went through several hundred dollars in singles during the week. While I believe that excellent service should be recognized, I also firmly believed that nonexistent service should not be rewarded. Unfortunately, the attitude we encountered with some of the staff left a lot to be desired.

The one thing that bothered me with regard to the grounds, until I figured a way around it, was the fact that everybody would simply put towels on chairs around the pool to reserve them all day while never sitting in them. I figured, if you can't beat them, join them. Consequently, when I woke up early I would walk down to the pool and placed towels on chairs and a prime area. I am not a fan of this type of thing but figured I wanted seats near were my kids would be playing in the pool.

I must say that the food was excellent. The sushi restaurant and the steakhouse were both first class. The Mediterranean restaurant was excellent and the every day/centrally located breakfast or lunch place was adequate. One suggestion is that if they have people taking orders for fresh made months, make sure the people understand what is being ordered. Out of 6 orders for an egg white, on consecutive days, I can safely say that they got the order correct once.I do realize that we were in Mexico, but if you're going to targets American visitors make sure the person taking the food order can understand English.

All said, we would consider returning but will probably shop around for a property closer to the airport and less tip driven.

Room Tip: They will charge you more for a high floor room. It is not really necessary.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,037)
Springfield, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

We spent the middle two weeks of April at Villa Del Palmar. I could not ask for more. Although it was just my husband and I, I could not help but notice what a family friendly resort this is. We will have to take the grandkids, they will love it. From check in with Leisey to check out we have no complaints about the service or the resort. Victor who is on the entertainment staff made our experience even more memorable with his morning Yoga and Pilates classes down by the beach. He loves what he does and it shows. He made sure we knew about all the activities at the resort and participated if we chose to. Also Eric on the entertainment staff was quite entertaining. We did not go all inclusive as we are time share owners. It is very easy to get to Wal-Mart by taxi or take the free shuttle to a store that has everything Wal-Mart has. The easy access to the ferry for the trip to Isla Mujeres is just a bonus. The only thing I would say is the drinks are expensive, not very strong and small. We just bought a bottle of rum and some mix and made our own. Easy fix! Cannot wait to go back! We were on the 8th floor and the view was awesome.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have beautiful views of the ocean.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Chanhassen, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

The only thing I did not like about the hotel was it's location. It is away from the hustle and bustle of the hotel zone - which could be a plus to people looking for a quiet place - but there is pretty much nothing to do if you want to step out of the hotel. Downtown is about a 20 minute ride away and you can either take the free hotel shuttle if you want to save money or take a cab if you want the flexibility.
The other thing I want to warn about is that not all of their "ocean view" rooms offer a view of the ocean. We got one of those, complained about it and got a real ocean view room the next morning.
Apart from that our vacation was really enjoyable with excellent room quality, cleanliness, choice of food and prompt service.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Simi Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Better than expected. Traveled over Easter weekend with family with 2 teenagers. we had the One bedroom suite which was perfect. 2 bathrooms! very nice floorplan. Resort is big but not too big. The beach is just beyond the five pools. Bar on the beach was great. Service was impeccable. good drinks on the All-Inclusive plan. We tried each restaurant and had a good meal at each. Our favorite breakfast was at Zama. The buffet even had a little something for everyone. Had massages for me and husband. I had the Orchid wrap. My skin was never softer. Excellent staff. Great resort for families of all ages. Nightly entertainment was family oriented and fun for all ages.

Room Tip: Its U shaped which basically gives every room a great view. We were given a room on the 3rd floor...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Merly provided awesome service to my wife and I for our 23rd anniversary. She provides service like no other. We cannot wait until our next trip to see her. Keep up the great work! You are family to us and we will miss you!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I went to this resort at a greatly discounted rate as part of a timeshare deal. I went with my two kids, 4 and 12 at the time. The hotel is beautiful. Check in was a bit bumpy, they moved my room twice, then I had a couple issues with the key cards working. It was lovely. I went during Christmas and the staff was amazing. I felt very bad for them working while we were all lounging and tipped accordingly. Loved Carlos at the beach bar, he was very nice to the family and made great virgin mango tangos the kids loved. I loved my margaritas. We loved the breakfast buffet. Lunches were tasty at the pool restaurant. I wasn't crazy about the Mexican restaurant, food was heavy and the kids didn't like any of the options. Unique food, not bad, just different. The best was the mushroom risotto at the Italian place. We went their twice. My 4 year old didn't have many options . . . I know it's supposed to cater to a premium segment . . . but be kind to the kids, at least offer chicken tenders or hot dogs. I loved the activities . . . they had pinatas at night for the kids, dancing around the pools, and a nice Christmas ceremony. Be warned. . . bring a gift to give to Santa to deliver to your child at Christmas breakfast. I told the kids Santa delivered the gifts to the house and we'd see them when we got home . . .this was a really nice touch, I just wasn't prepared. Overall - really nice place - I'd go again. I don't mind the location, just myself and two kids - we don't leave the site. Also - my son loved the kids club, actually requested to leave my daughter and I to go! The craft painting was also fun and with resort pricing. Great experience - highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

This resort is a bit further out than the hotel district of Cancun, but if you are older or traveling with little ones, it's perfect. It has everything a larger all inclusive resort would have in terms of amenities but on a much smaller manageable scale. My husband and our two boys, 7 and 2 stayed at the Villa Del Palmar from Sunday to Thursday back in late March and we wished we could have stayed longer. The boys loved the pools, beach and kids club. My older one still talks about how delicious the French toast was at Zama and asked to eat there almost everyday while we were there. There was plenty of food and drinks for anyone's taste and we didn't have one bad meal. The pool bar had great casual food and the freshest "fish of the day" seafood dish I've ever had. I had done my homework before booking the trip and although it wasn't our fist time in Mexico, we had never been to this resort before which always makes me a little nervous. I knew they required you to sign a physical check after each meal or drink order so I wasn't too surprised by this once we arrived. My husband stated at the end of the trip that this was probably the only reason he would think twice about going back since we were used to other all inclusives where you don't even have to wear a bracelet. I didn't find it too annoying and didn't feel pressured to over tip because of this.

The check-in process was a little slow but we arrived at about 11am on a Sunday which is prime time for all the folks checking out so we weren't surprised at how long it took us to get settled in our room. They allow guests who are waiting to hang out in their hospitality suite which has a living room/TV set up, bathrooms with showers, a pool table and a computer for internet use (free). It was fine for us and allowed us to relax after a long direct flight. Once we got our room, we felt it was worth the wait.

The 2nd floor 1 bedroom suite we got was beautiful and huge; larger than most city apartments. It didn't have an ocean view but our view wasn't terrible either. We overlooked the main pool but being on the 2nd floor over the Hiroshi Japanese restaurant, our view was a little obstructed. We had a large balcony accessible through the master bedroom as well as the living room, with a full patio dining set and a hammock. The master bathroom was huge and bathtime was easy and fun for the kids in the large whirlpool tub. The full sized state of the art kitchen was a total plus. Although we didn't cook, we did stop at the grocery market they have on site to pick up some snacks and milk for the boys.

Overall, we definitely had a blast and wished we could have stayed at least one extra day. The staff was friendly, the grounds spotless and beautiful but not too large, the pools and beaches were great, the food and drinks were good and the weather was amazing. What more could you want?

Room Tip: We didn't have an oceanview but did opt for a 1 bedroom suite which was amazing.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Been to Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!