“A new name for the resort ...” 5 of 5 stars

Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Carr Punta Sam Km 5.2, Playa Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“A new name for the resort ...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

3 couples in all ... we stayed in the huge, great view, 3-bedroom master suite, with veranda hot tub on 5th floor of the 3rd tower & it was epic! The resort should be renamed to "How can I make your life better?" The staff was amazing & polite. Our butler (Margarito Zamora) was AWESOME and did a tremendous job with reservations, activities, lounge seats, airport transfers, & etc. I highly recommend the personal chef and their team in your room for one night of dinner! Only drawbacks: water was not hot enough in the room/suite showers, no music near pool lounges, reservations guy was a bit of tool and non-responsive at times, and fire was out in the star hot tub. Overall: Will be back! 5 star resort. Can't say enough good things about Margarito Zamora!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,039)
Annapolis, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

I had found a "deal" on the internet and signed up for my 26 y/o daughter and I. 4 days prior to our leaving, I get a call that the resort we had booked with wasn't available, but they have "another one" I can go do, or move my dates. We already had the airfare and time off work. I quickly tried to read reviews about Villa Del Palmar and was terrified. Everyone said what a timeshare trap it was. Then I found some good ones and relented to go. I'M SO THANKFUL WE DID!

The resort is beautiful. the grounds are meticulous and just about everyone I talked with had a 1 bedroom suite, including full kitchen.

The room for the "deal" was on the first floor - a garden view they called it. I asked to be moved to a higher floor but was told for my rate, it was garden level. I got a GREAT deal ($399 for 2 people in a 1BR suite, all inclusive for 6 days, 5 nights. I did have to agree to their "90" minute presentation). I was told they did have a room higher up, but it would be $49 a night additional. for what I paid, it was a no brainer and SO worth it. the views were just spectacular.

The resort "spiel" was ok - I didn't buy in to the whole program, but opted for a 'discovery' package (6 weeks in 3 years with an additional week at Villa del Palmar).

The food is very good. Not consistent, but very good. we ate at Zamas and Davinci's and had the buffet out by the pool.

Entertainment is at 8:15 nightly and done in conjuction with the buffet poolside. VERY NICE.

One note - the maid service is probably the best I've ever had. Their attention to detail is excellent and considering the size of units they need to clean - amazign. My daughter used the murphy bed in the living room. we'd put it up for the day and I figured housekeeping would 'overlook' it. No way. they pulled it open and made it every time. we eventually left it down so they wouldn't have to go thru the trouble.

We only used 1 of the 4 pools and never made it in to any of the 5 hot tubs. the beach was wonderful and never had a problem finding a chaise.

If you're looking for fast pace, party town - this isn't it. the VP is about 1/2 hour NORTH of Cancun. They do have activities to Cancun - my daughter went on one to CocoBongo's (and loved it). But it's not a hop skiip and a jump. Cab fare from the airport for the 2 of us was $40.00 one way.
Beautiful, beautiful place.

I will be back in the next month or so for my "week" and can't wait. you really won't be dissapointed.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

We had a fabulous stay in late January. We were skeptical based on multiple negative reviews, but if you are anything like us and just looking for sun, sand, and relaxation, you will have a fabulous time. This resort was so much nicer and newer than any of the others that we were looking into for the same price, and ended up being an amazing value. We were upgraded to a 1BR suite without even asking (garden view on first floor, we liked this because it was an easy walk back from the beach). We enjoyed all of our meals and it was nice to have the variety of restaurants to choose from.

A few comments based on the negative points others are making: we avoided the time share speech altogether. When you complete your check in, the desk will tell you to wait until your private concierge is available to discuss the details of your stay. We avoided this by going to get our bags right away and we had no other communication on this topic for the duration of our stay.

Sure, the beach has some seaweed, but they do their best to rake it up and if it bothers you, there are 3 pools to take a dip in. The beach/pools were never over-crowded, we were always able to get chairs/beds where we wanted.

Lastly - we do admit that the tipping scenario is confusing. It was tough to determine when tipping was expected, but we made sure to always tip not because we felt like we had to, but because we enjoyed the service. Signing the bill at the end of every day on the beach or end of every meal was not a hassle, but as the week went on we grew nervous that we were signing these expensive dinner bills against our credit card on file, when we'd already paid for these meals via our all-inclusive trip fare. Rest assured, our check out process went smoothly and they had indeed only charged us for the tips we left.

We have already recommended this resort to family and friends and hope to return in the future.

Trail, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

This place is amazing, the water is warm and the beach is nice and gradual and great for small children as well as everyone else.
A bit out of Cancun, but we found this nice to be away from the rush of cancun.
Walk onto the car ferry to Isla Mujeres for the day for only about $3.50 and you can rent golf carts for 4 people while on the island...so much fun.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Sayreville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

The place is great ,the view is perfect, people are very frienfly ,since you step in the Villa you feel like you are special . The 5 days we had spend in the Villa del Palmar were great , we realy had very good dtime....
Thanks everyone...

Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

It rained 90% of the time we were there. The wind was always blowing very hard no matter what side of the building that you were on. It was very cold. We were there from 1/3/14 to 1/9/14. The weather way miserable. Now I have got all the negativity out of the way. The staff was wonderful. The food was outstanding. Never had a bad meal and I at everything because of the weather. I usually lose weight on vacation because I'm so active. Going to the restaurants was our favorite activity. The waiters were extremely polite and courtliest. The resort was beautiful and ground and pools our well keep. We stayed in a one bedroom deluxe. I would highly recommend that upgrade. It was our 23 anniversary We really want to go back again when the weather is great.

Room Tip: Most ground floor rooms you can exit in to the courtyards were the pools,resturants,bars and ocean i...

North Port, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Our stay at Villa del Palmer was more than expected. The Staff is exceptional and cannot seem to do enough for you from check in to check out. Jesus and Angel went out of their way to meet your every need. Food was fantastic. The buffets were different every night with a different show later in the evening. Beautiful resort , Four pools 2 family ,one adult and one for children. You can do all inclusive or not . Best all inclusive because you are not near town. You are directly across from the Isle of Murres. not correct spelling.
We did not go there but everyone we talked to said it was a nice side trip ferry just outside of resort

Room Tip: Better view from higher floors
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!