“Lovely resort but beware of thefts in room” 4 of 5 stars

Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Carr Punta Sam Km 5.2, Playa Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Providence RI
“Lovely resort but beware of thefts in room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

This was our 2nd time here. We came a few months after it opened 2 yrs ago and just this past week. Lots of great improvements in the 2 yrs. The units are absolutely lovely, the food is good, the beach is beautiful and the evening entertainment is great. Staff is terrific also. Make sure to use the safe in the room as recommended. On our last evening some time between 6 and 9 pm, someone entered the room to empty out the honor bar which is the usual custom. Who ever it was also emptied my wallet which I had (stupidly) left in my bedroom, in my bag when we went out for dinner at the resort. The person also took a small wrapped gift (pottery) I had purchased in Vallodolid. We will still come back here because the positives totally outweigh this negative experience for which I take total responsibility.

Room Tip: High floors have spectacular views
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (876)
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

A dream come true. We stayed in the 2000 building on the 6th floor, great view both ways. Clean room, room service was excellent (expect to wait 30-40 minutes). Julia cleaned our room, we gave her a $15 dollar tip, she was so nice she brought us beach toys for our kids. The beds were so comfortable, everyone slept great. We fit 2 adults and 5 kids comfortably, We upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite. The all-inclusive was unbelievably "All" inclusive. Activities, food, snacks, drinks, entertainment, beach activities, exercise classes. BTW Victor Sarabia is in charge of all the daily activities and he is the nicest, most pleasant man in Mexico. He was so helpful and always made sure my kids were having fun safely. He even got in the water several times to kayak with them! The Sushi restaurant was my favorite, my kids liked Zama and Davinos. Make sure to make an early reservation, first seating is much more organized. A 6 or 6;30 reso is perfect, so than you can go straight to the outdoor show which starts at 8:15.
We got very lucky with 7 straight days of perfect weather. The kids club is very convenient too. Reyna is nice and fun! My kids loved it! Oh, the only thing that was confusing was the tipping. A 15% tip is included with the all-inclusive package but it is never shown on the receipts. There is a blank tip spot where it felt like all the waitstaff expected an additional tip. I usually gave an additional 5%-10%.
All in all I highly recommend this resort for families looking to have fun, relax and not work too hard planning anything.
We did take the local ferry($3 each way) to Isle Mujeres one day (11am departure, 4pm return). It was fun, we snorkeled at Hotel Garrafon. Inexpensive and good snorkeling, $8 cab ride each way. Than we walked around the center of town(near ferry)..
We really liked the location because of the ferry. Its a short walk from the beach and a 40 minute ride, but relaxing. There is a quicker more expensive ferry but we were in no rush.
The only complaint was the concierge desk. Most are nice some are not. One lady with a "fixed" made up face is downright rude.

Room Tip: 2000 building 6th floor. great view both ways! clean quiet comfortable.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

I read some of the negative reviews here and it seems to me that these people already came unhappy. The resort, food, or staff will not make them happy or allow them to relax and enjoy vacation. However, those who came with a smile - were greeted with the smile.

Our all-inclusive package was great. We tried 24-hour room service - it works. We tried travel agency for good deals on some activities (we went to Chichen Itza and Isla Mujeres) - it works - thanks to Marisol for her help and excursion tips. We tried all restaurants and bars - excellent. Beach and Pool side are serviced for drinks and snacks. And they are timely - if bars officially open at 11am, at 10:45 servers walk around the beach crowed to take order of the first round of drinks. At 11:05 you will have your Pina Colada. Or five of them.

Reservations for the restaurants are needed because the restaurants are relatively small - that's what makes them appear more exclusive and romantic. Plus, for the most part, you have more people enjoying the evening versus eating in an half-full, over-sized pavilion. Maybe it's just me, but eating is more fun in a restaurant that is booming with happy customers.

The wait staff is great. They really try to understand English and speak it. I was pleased with their knowledge of cocktails (many servers can even name the ingredients!) and their willingness and ability to accommodate special requests such as avoiding certain spices in meals or use different preparation method, or simply mixing up a cocktail that's not popular or unknown. My favorite lunch was the Flank steak at the Bite Bar, served by Marcos (see him in the photos) - a great guy who loves his job and does it well by staying in the moment. They say that tips are included in the "all inclusive" but we tipped and we loved doing it. I recommend exchanging some money (do it before you come to Mexico) and using Mexican pesos versus USD.

Take advantage of the ferry next to the resort and go to Isla Mujeres. That ferry is not a 5-star passenger boat, but they have air-conditioned cabin in addition to car deck below. It takes about 40 minutes one way and you pay 40 pesos per person per ride (80 pesos round trip). That is about $7.5 round trip per person. What you might be recommended by some travel agents is a faster (about 20 mins one way - big deal..) passenger ferry which leaves from the port located 7-10 minutes taxi ride from Villa del Palmar. Transportation cost for this option: $12 for taxi (round trip) plus $13 for ferry (round trip). Not a big deal, but there's your savings for some of those tips!

We stayed in one bedroom suite with ocean view. At first we had mixed emotions about the room because the interior was excellent but the smell was unexpected (the only star deduction I give here). Once you open the window or balcony it gets much better, but you cannot keep them open over night because air conditioner won't work properly. I understand how this might bother someone with "gentle nose" but vacationing in somewhat tropical climate could include some humidity-related differences from climate many of us are used to. On the bright side - you will love your hair and skin after week or so in this weather. I did not realize this benefit of humidity until we came back to dry New York.

The resort is located further form Hotel Zone. I found it to be a big plus. You have nice wide beach that feels like a big private territory and at night you are not bothered by neighboring hotels' evening events or anything like it.
Talking about events, you have a schedule of activities delivered daily at your door (or you can inquire at front desk). Start day by pilates or yoga, enjoy Spanish lessons, water sports, volleyball, or something else during the day, and enjoy evening entertainment (belly dances, magicians, Spanish music concert, beach party and more) at night.

Remember to try out water sports such as paddle board, kayak, and snorkeling - included in all-inclusive.
We did not use their spa services but looking forward to trying them out the next time.

Thank you Villa del Palmar staff for a great time.

Room Tip: As far as I noticed one and two bedroom rooms have larger balconies that fit not only the hamak but...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

this vacation was truly AMAZING! the hotel is beautiful and not too big. We came with our children and they were able to navigate themselves, having all the freedom combined with safety. The beach being so close to the pool made it a pleasure going from one to the other. Food and service was good . i would recommend bringing about 200$ in cash to tip( 5 dollar bills and 1's) .
Night time shows were perfect entertainment. One TIP- if you are in the one thousand building you may hear car alarms in the morning. it did not bother me, being an early riser, however if you want to sleep late request not to be in the one thousand building overall-LOVED and cant wait to go back!!

Room Tip: one thousand building you may hear car alarms in the morning, early do not stay in that building_ a...
Jenison, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Stayed at this resort with eight of our friends. Had a wonderful time despite the weather, which rained everyday. We all made the best of it. The staff was excellent and the food was great. . I would stay here again at this beautiful resort which they keep very clean. The beach was wonderful and kept clean everyday. It is a little far from town but catch the shuttle or a taxi which was no problem. But the only thing is, they need to have a bar with entertainment or a DJ at night.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

i wanted to share my opinion. i stayed here for a week. the property itself is very nice and modern and lots to do for kids. we had the all inclusive package so we felt the service of the staff was a bit lacking. we had to ask for things more than once from room service and housekeeping, but one very bright spot of the staff was the guys at the beach bar. Ismael and Jorge. they were a delight and a pleasure to be with and i would go back just for them!

Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

My husband & I did the all inclusive plan for 4 nights. Not long enough!!! I was incredibly sad the morning we flew home. This resort is beautiful!!! Food was really good, reservation restaurants were a little bit of a pain but worth it.
Beach was clean, plenty of chairs & armed with an excellent waiter named Geovany:0 I don't understand reviews bashing their service in this resort!!!! I never felt pressure to tip, I just did because I'm a generous person & it felt good giving them extra. They work really hard to serve us & they deserve tips. I suggest taking a lot of small bills. We had fantastic service & a great time!!!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!