My wife and I just returned from a week at VDP, which was our 3rd time in Cancun. Previous stays were at the Grand Sirenis and Ocean Turquesa. The VDP property is just as beautiful, if not more so, than the others we've experienced. It is also nearly new so everything is very clean and in good condition. We booked on a 'marketing week' promotion which required attending a time share presentation in return for a very attractive price of $399 plus tax and airfare for 6 nights stay. We also paid extra for an upgrade to a 1-bedroom suite, which was incredible. Upon check in we were put in a ground-floor room but we asked to be moved up to a higher floor so we would have an ocean view. They did move us up to the 3rd floor, which was high enough to provide an amazing view. Anything less than the 3rd floor and you won't have much of a water view. Here are the good points we found at VDP:
1) The food was awesome! They only had a buffet night twice, once at Zama and once at Davinos. Both were NOT good, but you don't have to do the buffets, and I would recommend against them. When ordering from the menu the food is gourmet quality, for all 3 meals of the day.
2) The rooms and property are beautiful and in excellent condition. Beds are very comfy.
3) Any room on the 3rd floor and above will have an awesome water view.
4) Service from the staff is great throughout the day.
5) The beach has very soft sand, finer than sugar in most areas!
6) Towel service is convenient, no hassle - you do have to sign them out, but no biggie.
7) Plenty of lounge chairs around pools and beach. No trouble with finding an open chair at any time of the day.
8) Check in and check out was fast. Our room was ready to check in early at about noon. The first guy who checked us in was not helpful or friendly and refused to look for a non-ground floor room for us. When we got to the room he gave us and saw how we much we didn't like it I went back and spoke with the manager, who was very nice and with no trouble moved us to a 3rd floor room. So, while it started out not so good, I include this as a positive because of the helpful manager.
9) There is a very nice gym on premise, the nicest I've seen in Cancun. Lots of equipment and it's all in great condition. There is also a yoga class everyday at 9:30 which I recommend if you're into that kind of thing at all.
With all the good points, of course it isn't perfect so here are what I found to be the bad points:
1) You have to sign a bill for every little thing you order, except for water. We were on an all inclusive plan and had a wrist band, but still, everything we ordered had to be signed for. There is no option to 'graze' a buffet, everything is ordered a la cart. Even though tips were included in our package, we still left a tip every time on the bill we signed. For the week our tips came to about $60 USD.
2) The mini-fridge in the room is NOT INCLUDED, which was another big annoyance for us. And, there is not even coffee provided in the room (except for the first day). To get a coffee for a stroll on the beach required going to a restaurant and 'buying' two coffees.
3) The beach area, while extremely nice, is small. To walk up and down as far as you can takes about 10 minutes. If you like taking long walks along the beach, you can't do that here.
4) The activities and shows, while kind of fun, were slightly cheesy. This is not a place to party late into the night!
5) Our package did not include cab fare back to the airport, which was $50 USD. The Concierge said the cabbie would take a credit card, but when we got to the airport he said 'no credit cards'. Fortunately I had cash, but it could have been a disaster. I recommend arranging for round trip transportation before you arrive.
All in all, we had a fantastic week and I am not at all sorry we went to VDP. If you go, I'm sure you will as well. That said, though, unless they change their 'sign for everything' policy we probably won't return unless we get another killer deal like we did this time.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Del Palmar Cancun Hotel
- Villa Del Palmar Cancun Hotel Playa Mujeres
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This beachfront luxury resort is located in the pristine beaches of Playa Mujeres, about 25 minutes north hotel zone and 35 minutes from Cancun International Airport. The new Villa del Palmar Cancun offers a range of possibilities for fun and relaxation that will make your holiday truly unforgettable. The complex offers amazing 5-star service, extravagant amenities and plenty of activities to keep your adventurous side entertained. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Venere, Otel and Tingo so you can book your Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.