“Darlene F” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Uncasville, Connecticut, United States
“Darlene F”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

This was our first visit to an all-inclusive resort. We found the Villa Del Palmar to be everything we were expecting from all the reviews and info we were able to find online. It was beautiful, away from all the activity of Cancun. Quiet. The food was very good, we especially enjoyed the Italian restaurant. The only thing lacking for us was any type of real after dinner activity. My husband and I aren't big drinkers so hanging out in one of the bars wasn't appealing to us. I had a wonderful massage at the spa and my husband was very impressed with the fitness facility. We would go back for a second visit.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,039)
Red Deer, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

My husband and I just came back from our honeymoon (March 12-18) We thoroughly enjoyed our experience at this resort. I think its your own attitude that will make or break any trip you are on. You are on holidays in Mexico where everyone is laid back, so sit back, relax and enjoy the weather and view! We had a junior suite on the 8th floor with a king size bed. The room was gorgeous with a wet bar (dishes, sink, fridge, coffee pot and microwave) Usually the beds in Mexico are rock hard, but ours was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. Our balcony had a great hammock and view of the whole resort. We loved walking around the grounds looking at the different pools (5) and hot tubs (4or5) and fire pits to sit around and enjoy. The swing bars were fun and they had one right on the beach. The beach was great with lots of chairs and even a couple of shaded beds to lay on. There was plently of beach chairs to go around, we could find some at any time of the day. The food was great even though they don't have the supper ready until later in the evening (we are used to eating at 5 or 6, but once we figured that out we would just have a late afternoon snack) and servers were always good and helpful. We never got a chance to go to any of the a la cartes mostly cause we did a few trips and never knew what time we would be back for supper. So we were just as happy eating at the buffet or snack bar. There was a different theme with different food and entertainment each night at the buffet. The snack bar had amazing food, salads, burgers, tacos, all fresh and so good. We had a couple of not so good room cleaners while we were there and had trouble getting our fridge stocked (had to call 4 times on one day) But some of our room cleaners were really good. Overall our experience was great and would love to bring our kids to this resort some time. The kids pool looks like so much fun. And its a nice quiet resort that I would feel safe bringing my kids. Our best part would have been visiting Isla Mujeres! We went two days in a row! Great beaches, great snorkeling, a big market (if we didn't like the price, we would just go to another one along the way and get it cheaper) and so many cute restaurants. There is even a restaurant right on the north beach, which has the most amazing white sand!

Room Tip: We were on the 8th floor, great view of whole resort and ocean, some mornings around 6am I would hea...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

I just came back with my college aged daughter from spring break (March 11-16). We had an excellent time and thoroughly enjoyed our experience. I must say, I was nervous after reading some negative comments, but our trip was lovely. I honestly believe it is the attitude you bring with you that makes a vacation. We were upgraded to a one bedroom suite, we felt like princesses! Rooms and view were exquisite. Pools were phenomenal, the grounds were gorgeous. Beach was beautiful white sand, they took great effort each day to rake off the seaweed with the tractor. It's all a part of nature. Why get angry? In order to make reservations at Davinos (Mediterranean) or Zuma (sushi and Mexican) you must wait in line early morning for a 6:30 or 7pm seating that night. I was in line by 6:30 am, but with a cup of coffee and the beautiful morning sunshine, what's there to gripe about? Afterward, I would hit the gym, fantastic facility and plentiful equipment. Pool chairs and beach chairs were never a problem. Sushi at Zuma was out of this world, Davinos offered fresh catch of the day and that was outstanding! We had an all inclusive plan, so we were never once bothered for the time share. Yes, you do have to sign for each meal and drink, sometimes you have to wait a bit until the waiter comes, and yes, that can be a bit annoying, but nothing that would damper my vacation! It's Mexico, things run at a slower pace. Food was delicious, staff friendly. The pool snack bar was incredible with fresh salads, pizza, coconut shrimp, chips and fresh guacamole...fantastic! They bring right to your chair. I thought drinks were great. Service was done with a smile and friendly attitude. Everyone seemed to have a great time around the pool. The infinity pool, overlooking the beach was incredibly beautiful and huge hot tub with fire pit. The resort is quiet and away from night life, so if that is what you are looking for, you are in the wrong place. It was peaceful and yet at night by the beach, they offered entertainment and live shows. I did not make it over to the island, my daughter and I were enjoying lazy days by the pool, but hotel guests all seemed to love the island experience.
For internet service, you can pay daily $10 or by the lobby, there is a computer to use at no charge, but please be respectful to guests waiting behind you. There is also a second computer in the Hospitality Suite on the 2nd floor, which they do not advertise, but you are welcome to use it at no charge as well. My daughter and I had a fantastic spring break, full of sunshine, relaxation, fun drinks, exercise and great dinners. We especially loved our suite with hammock on the balcony!! Remember, you are in Mexico, you are on vacation to de-stress, so if you want things perfect, stay at home. Otherwise, go with the flow, and live a little!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

Very lovely lay out of this resort. As members we were surprised that we paid more to enjoy the all inclusive than anybody else we met there. The rooms were spacious and the view was great. The rooms smelled musty and damp. We did get moved to king bed room after letting them know we were members. We were caught in a time share presentation that took up our whole morning. The fellow who took us to breakfast( that we had already paid for)
offered us discounts ( we could have got with our Gold card),assured us of his personal attention to some of our concerns,never appeared again during our stay. Loved the nightly entertainment and enjoyed the Cuban band that played during the day. Missed a swim up bar but we enjoyed the swing bar. Drinks were lovely colors but watered down. We booked a charter through resort to visit Isla Meyeres. We enjoyed the island and the golf cart to tour the island. Lots of construction and the noise that goes along with that. The beach was nice, well groomed but water was dirty and weedy. Warnings to stay off beach at night. Disappointed with no internet in rooms and huge costs for local calls.

West Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

We had a most enjoyable stay last week of Feb/2012--found this resort to be very impressive with its workmanship and landscaping-the pools were very inviting--beach time was very relaxing--food was excellent!! Dinner each night was a little tough as it was always late but worth it--the buffets were always fresh and pleantifull-The service was always with a smile and prompt-the comment about the tubs being high was also a comment I would post as I am only 5'2"-but this
was the only negative-we took the fast ferry to the isle and the slow ferry back--rented the cart,what a fun day we had! We read a few negative comments before we went and were alittle concerned about the food and service-realized instantly we were not going to have a negative experience--those comments were most likely due to the resort being new and getting adjusted-we found the resort ran a very efficient service to its guest--the employees were a very hard working group--we were also very impressed with the cleaniness of the whole resort- we were never bothered by any construction--would highly recommend a visit to this all inclusive resort--thank you,than you

aventura
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012 via mobile

Just came back from Spring Break with my wife and kid. I will number the problems we encountered. I have to be fair and say the rooms were great. I also want to mention a few workers that stood out. Gaudencio, Francisco, Luis, Pedro. It is also important to point out that I give tips even though the all inclusive includes tips. So the extra servicevi got could be a result of my "appreciation".
1. We bought an Ocean view room. All we could see was the roof of the restaurant that blocked the ocean view. We complained and the receptionist told us that in the computer it says ocean view. As if the computer could see. We were told they would try to change us to abother room. Never heard from anyone again.
2. The concierge service is nothing but a trap to sell "vacation ownership". Once they buy your goodwill, they don't even look you in the face.
3. I asked for an extra blanket the first day. Never came and never even heard an explanation.
4. We were given 1 key for 3 people. We asked for more and were told no, because they were out of enough keys.
5. Second day. I asked for a lower pillow for my kid. Never got it.
6. When the concierge hooked us, i complained about the pillow since she said she would be our personal care taker. After we signed up for the "vacation ownership" tour, we never heard from her again. Never got the pillow.
7. During the tour I expressed my insatisfaction to the salesperson. She said the owner was there firing management and everything wpuld change immediatelly. Joke! She asked m to write it all, which i did. Never was even contacted by anyone to address my issues.
8. The all inclusive hotel has 5 restaurants. 2 were closed for the high season. Zama and La Casona are really week. Bad service and food. To reserve dinner you have to do it personally between 7am and 3pm. So, since only 1 restaurant is good, Davino, you need to cut your rest short and be in line at 6:40am to get a decent dinner time.
9. At breakfast a couple of times i complained there was some food missing from the buffet. They went to the kitchen as to go get it, never brought it and never gave me an explanation.
10. Zama, the restaurant, serves sushi. They were out of chopsticks.
11. Davino, good food, has a wine list that has about 5% of the wines. They say they are changing suppliers. Not my fault.
12. one morning, around 8am, they ran out if beach towels.
13. The drinks are sufferable. Watered down. I ordered a strawberry daiquri and it had no ice in it. My kid ordered a virgin pina colada and couldn't drink it.
14. 5th day, we are at the pool and the waiter was being very unpleasant and making faces whenever we asked for something. When i lost my cool, he said he hadn't had lunch and he was leaving. I asked if someone would take over and he said there was no one else.
15. Last day i asked at the pool bar for drinks. The guy tells me they are closed but he would ask the waitress. 20 minutes later i notice he is making drinks for everyone. I go complain and he continues making others and not mine. I lost it and went on a rampage. They serve me this horrible drinks and the bartender mocks me. The manager who already new me came over to appologize. Sorry, one week too late.

Stayed March 2012
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

Oh my goodness! The reviews I've read tonight and the reviews I read before our trip had me perplexed. We returned, tonight, from a one week visit to the most relaxing, the cleanest, the friendliest resort we have ever visited. We have traveled extensively, including Europe and China, and have never had a better experience. We booked seven days, all-inclusive. Yes, we signed receipts, but SO WHAT? They obviously have a smooth inventory system working and never ran out of anything. All of the buffets offered delicious food, lots of fresh fruit, and the hot things were hot and the cold things were cold. We ordered off the Snack Bar menu many times from the pool and were not disappointed. The beach was beautiful, I snorkeled on morning, and didn't see any fish, but did enjoy my swim. We took the "slow" ferry from next door to the hotel and had a lovely day snorkeling on the Isle. It was so convenient! Another day, we took a series of buses recommended by the concierge, and spent a wonderful day at Playa del Carmen. Spending a day at VdP is similar to a cruise....volleyball, soccer, pottery painting, yoga, water aerobics. The pools were clean, interesting shapes, and we always found plenty of chairs available. We took a couple of float "toys" and enjoyed just floating around the pool. The waiters would deliver drinks to the chaises or to the poolside. We tipped $1 for each trip a waiter made, $2 at most meals, $2 for our room maid. Everyone works hard at keeping the resort clean and beautiful. We will go back next year and probably many years after that.

Room Tip: We were on the sixth floor. 1609B Beautiful views.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!