“It has its ups and downs...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Beloved Hotel

You added The Beloved Hotel to your Saves list
The Beloved Hotel
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Condominio Playa Mujeres, Playa Mujeres 77400, Mexico (Formerly La Amada Hotel)   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 30% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Brooklyn, New York
“It has its ups and downs...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

I need to begin this review by stating that the best way to get to Excellence (EPM) or La Amada is via Cancun Transfers. I did my research and was hesitant on almost every company as there were mixed reviews (late picking up at airport or hotel, etc). I even called La Amada to find out what outside service was most dependable as paying $138 for the service by the hotel was outrageous and they recommended Hertz, which I decided against in the end. I live in NYC and I'm used to paying out of my ears for cabs/car service, but that rate is beyond steep. Anyway, I booked Cancun Transfers and they were amazing. After clearing customs, we met a liaison outside holding a board with my name on it. He radioed for the driver and in the meantime wrote me the ticket for the return trip. I didn't book the top car (I chose the $70 option round trip) and the driver pulls up in a Ford Explorer. Not bad, sure beats 75% of the vehicles on the road. Driver was excellent and got us to La Amada quickly, didn't make small talk the entire way. On the return, We arranged to have the car pick us up at the hotel at 9:00AM. The driver showed up at 9:02AM in an Escalade. Again, quick drive back to the airport, very nice driver. For $70 round trip, this cannot be beat. That's half the cost of the service that La Amada provides (their SUV is a GMC) and cab's will cost you $125 from the airport via Hertz. I couldn't be happier with this decision.

I have to agree with the previous post about the check in service. It was lacking the vital details about tipping policy, percent of bill, if we can tip on the check or needs to be in pesos or USD, how the all inclusive works, etc. I stayed in the 2 story casita, which was absolutely amazing. I've stayed at Beach Palace and Moon palace and this room beats the pants off of those. Mini bar is included in the all inclusive, which had Perrier, Coke, Fanta, Bud Light. Budweiser, Heneiken, Corona, Red Bull, Nips of Absolut, Jack Daniels, Jose Cuervo and Johnnie Walker and featured snacks like M&Ms, twix, chips, and Ferrero Rocher. The plunge pool upstairs was very nice, but like most people said, very cold. I called the front desk on the first day and someone came to fix the heating timer to be on longer or earlier. Whatever he did, it worked for sure. If its cold, you need to call and have them adjust. There are 7 Casitas in total, 5 face the beach, 2 are behind and have terrible views of nothing (Bella & Bonita). If you're staying in a casita, request any other one but those two and ask for the #4 side as the #4 room has the most sun (for the plunge pool and laying out on the bed).

The service was good, not fantastic. Most employees do not greet you in passing unless you say Hi to them first, which is a turn off. The waitstaff overall were very nice and accommodating. I can't recall any of them saying no in regards to special requests on dishes. Jorge, Spencer and Yolanda were 3 people that really stood out to my girlfriend and I. One night I wasn't feeling too well and my girlfriend wanted desert, so Spencer suggested that we go back to the room and he would deliver the desert and check to us. About 20 minutes later after the restaurant closed, he showed up with desert and the check for us to sign. Little things like that, which was really out of the way for him, made us really appreciate it.

On the other hand, the hostess at Aroma and Lapita Lounge was always in a foul mood. I stopped by Lapita Lounge to make reservations on my way to the gym and as I was leaving, she looked me up and down and said "don't forget the dress code!" This really took me aback as yeah, i might be in a tshirt and shorts, but theres no need to say it with such tone like I look like a homeless person. The following night, we went to Aroma and she was at the hostess booth again. We arrived around 9pm (which is on the late side for dinner) and there were about 4 tables open with a nice view and much more private and quiet. Instead of sitting us there, she put us at the table under a bright light right next to her hostess booth where most of the staff congregate. I requested to sit in one of the more private tables and she said "did you make a reservation?" and I responded with "no I didn't" (since you don't need them even if its 100% full) so she replied with "then this is all I have for you". No one sat at those open tables for the rest of the night and we sat next to the waitstaff joking around and her phone ringing for room service. It would have been one thing if people who made reservations showed up and sat there, but we were the last arriving party that night.

The hotel seems too structured and not flexible in terms of accomodating to certain situations. One morning I was in the pool socializing with other guests and in the span of about 30-45 minutes about 5-6 parties of people went to the swim up bar to only find that it didn't open until noon. You had to exit the pool, walk into Isla Grill and order a drink. If the pool is busy and there are mass amounts of people to serve, management should recognize this and open up the swim up bar earlier instead of waiting for the clock to strike 12 on the dot. Service on the beach is terrible and its not the staff's fault. Most people go to the beach for relaxation to get away from the families of kids at the only heated pool in the resort and they have 1 to 2 staff members attending to everyone. Ordering a drink is a 30 minute process, whereas you could get it yourself if you go to the restaurant in 5 minutes. Again, management should recognize this and put more servers out there during peak times.

The resort has 3 main pools, 1 near the beach and 2 by the main block of rooms. The pool by the beach is quite small and is heated, which means everyone uses it. The other two are big but are frigid cold. No one uses them for this reason, which is unfortunate because it would spread everyone out and the staff could organize water sports in one of them to promote socializing among guests. Walk to EPM and use their pool, its huge. Lastly, the beach water isn't very nice. There are mass amounts of seaweed covering the entire shoreline and the first 10 feet in the water. The water is not aqua blue like the hotel zone and there are no waves, which is unfortunate as cancun has some of the best beaches.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (598)
  • Korean first
Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

Beautiful hotel, lovely wait staff, house keeping and bartenders. The absolute worst management ever. We received a daily letter in our room that was a complete joke. It discussed the next day's activities which never happened. Bonfire? Not exactly, and by that, I mean, not at all. Tequila tasting? 3 bottles set on a tiny bar with no explanation.

And, what was really special, there was a wedding that (God bless them) took over a third of the hotel and caused one of the three restaurants to be closed down each night--no one from the hotel communicated this to guests, and when questioned, had little remorse. When I called to ask how long the DJ would be playing music that reverberated all the way to my penthouse Ocean Suite ACROSS THE PROPERTY, I was told 1am--did I want to change rooms? Since I'm paying for one of the best rooms on property and would just be moved to an inferior room on a lower level after 8 days--this didn't exactly solve the problem. No apology, no clear plan communicated.

My problem is, it is not difficult to communicate with your guests, especially when you put a letter in their room every afternoon. So, learn how to do it, and do it honestly. If there is a wedding on property that will take over 1/3 of the hotel and disturb your guests into the wee hours of the morning, tell them.

High commendations go to the concierge team, who work hard to make up for management's complete lack of professionalism. I don't know who runs this hotel, but you are not doing it well.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
St. Cloud
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

Where do I start? I was very excited for my time at La Amada based on the reviews and photos. When arriving, we were happy about the seclusion and safety of the setting. It is a beautiful quiet area.

BUT...
The check in was strange - they only had 1 person at the desk, it was very slow, they took our photos, not friendly or helpful. I had to ask the right questions to get answers. Worst part - we had to sign something saying we would not bring any outside FOOD OR DRINK into our room - not even water!! They do this so you feel you have to buy the all inclusive - which after reading reviews we chose not to do. We had a rental car and it was an easy drive into Cancun for food choices. But, water was $4.00 a bottle in your room! Tea and coffee cost in your room - everything was nickle and diming us!!

Anyway - an employee helped us with our luggage - took us to our room - which at first sight I was VERY impressed with - beautiful room with our own pool and private terrace. First thing I noticed - the photos on the website show that your pool is pretty much on the beach - that you walk out into the sand - NOT TRUE! There was not one like this!! There are huts and chairs and palm trees and landscaping all between you and the beach. We got lucky with the perfect location for our room though - we noticed most of these rooms with their own pools do not get any sun.

Anyway, the guy who helped us with our luggage and took us to our room told us a brief summary about the place on the walk there. We handed him a tip as he was about to leave, and he looked at it immediatley and looked angry at us! It was 50 pesos (around $4.50) and he acted as though we screwed him over! All he had done was haul our bags to our room - which we could have done ourselves. He stomped out of the room seemingly mad at us! We were shocked!

The room had an obvious problem with air conditioning. They have it set so you can't change it. We had maintenence come to fix it and he said it was fine, but the entire 5 days it barely cooled the room - we were always sticky and could not sleep at night. It barely worked at all.

The free internet service was AWFUL in our room - worked on and off the whole time - we called 4 TIMES and asked for someone to help us with it - they said they would send someone - they NEVER did after 4 calls!! That was one reason we wanted to stay there so we could keep in touch with kids back home. Internet cannot be relied on there.

Be prepared to hear and see everything when it comes to the toilet and shower in your room. Hope you don't want any privacy! Cold showers every morning before 8 am - I don't know if they shut off the hot water to conserve it or what, but if you are an early riser - don't shower!

Our private pool was freezing cold - all the time. It warmed up a tiny bit when the sun hit it for part of the day, but they don't heat anything. Most of the rooms with the pool get very little sun to even try to heat them, unless you have a pool on the roof.

Jacuzzis by the pools were not heated as well - not ever during our time there. Not even as warm as bath water - very cold.

Bed was hard - 3 small pillows - no box spring - it is built on a wooden frame and every time you turn over it sounds like you are moving around on packing bubbles.

Hot tub in your room is for 1 person, not deep, and no privacy shades to the people outside - only a see-through curtain. You have to pull the drapes shut around the inside of the tub to keep the room light out of the area or you are putting on a show! Then you can't see into your room and it is weird!! The first night I decided I would chance it, dropped my robe and spotted the pool boy on the edge of my pool, facing me, checking the pools chemicals. He saw everything. Wrong place, wrong time for sure, but still - where are the privacy curtains???

Park your own car!!! The valet was the same guy who was ticked at us for the first tip we gave him. He had parked our car and now had to retrieve it for us. He never said hello, acted crabby at us immediatley, and got our car with an attitude. This time we did not tip him at all for being so rude - we were fed up with him!!! Needless to say, he COMPLETEY ignored us the rest of the trip - never saying hello, or offering to get anything - he would walk past us as though we were not there. We did not care, but it was obvoius that very large tips are EXPECTED at all times. We had come from an all-inclusive in Riviera Maya where any amount of a tip was GREATLY appreciated. We were fed up with this guy.

There is a huge lack of service and staff everywhere in the resort. If you do see someone working, they are not attentive to you, or want to help you at all. The ghost town feeling is definately present when it comes to the staff. They are cold and not smiley or helpful at all. Such a huge difference from where we had been and yet this resort is beautiful and could be so much better with better service and attention to details.

I just was so dissappointed that I could never go back. Stay at El Dorado Royale on the Riviera Maya instead.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

My boyfriend told me to take 2 days off from work in February & didn't tell me another detail until we were in the cab on our way to the airport, at which point he showed me a picture on his phone of our terrace suite at La Amada. Holy wow, not only was it amazing that he pulled off such an epic surprise, but boy did he make the right choice! From the minute we arrived, we were treated like VIPs--our terrace suite was, indeed, amazing, and the grounds were just goregous all around! We loved that it's a smaller resort, and it didn't hurt that it wasn't at full capacity while we were there--it was so peaceful and relaxing! We stayed for 3 nights but we decided the magic number was definitely 4--we felt like a week would have been too long, but 4 nights would have been just right. We will definitely recommend this place to family and friends, and we would definitely come back!!

Pros
- Beautiful grounds
- Friendly staff
- Comfortable & spacious rooms
- Almost every room has a private pool or plunge pool--some are not very private, however (ie: the casitas at the pool...our terrace suite in the 200 building had much more privacy!)
- All-inclusive is definitely the way to go!!
- Amazing "caribbean" ceviche w/ papaya (beach grill dinner menu)
- Very good breakfast buffet--this was definitely our favorite meal!
- LOVED the double chaises on the terrace (our favorite, of 3 on our terrace, ended up being the one that is standard with every room!)
- Yummy blended drinks menu--try the banana one!
- Jacuzzi with a view!

Cons
- Plunge pool had some serious heating problems--someone had to come twice to fix it, and it still didn't work properly
- We were shocked that some of the seafood was not cooked well--the grouper (we were disappointed that, for the 3.5 days we were there, grouper was the "catch of the day" every day) was overdone, as was the coconut shrimp. (Salmon was very good, though!)
- All-inclusive ends at 12pm on the day you check out, so if you plan on catching a late flight home like we did, plan on stocking up on room service beforehand! We felt a little jipped on this, as we paid for all-inclusive starting the first day we checked in, even though we didn't arrive until 8pm & only had room service dinner.
- The smoothie bar was never open
- The two restaurants in the main building alternate nights, and the one where breakfast is was somehow open 2 nights in a row, so we missed the "fancy" restaurant
- If you are a true sushi lover, don't bother here!
- WAY overpriced gift shop & too far away from civilization, so bring sunscreen & anything else you might need--because it was a surprise, I hadn't packed enough "beachy" things, so I had to buy a suit and dress, and we had to shell out $25 for a spray can of SPF...serious ripoff!!

Courtenay, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

We enjoyed every minute of our one week stay. The staff were always smiling and were very helpful. I would personally like to thank Eric,Ernesto,Jesus,Valeriana,Isaac, Antonio,Miriam and Yazmin for always making us feel welcome. I didn't catch the housekeepers names but would like to commend them also. The meals were all delicious and when we asked for rice or potato with our meal it was never a problem. Thanks again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

La Amada is gorgeous, clean, sophisticated. It's in a well-protected area with 2 guarded gates. The clientele is lovely, polite, friendly. The staff is absolutely amazing. So nice, so professional. Wish we had more of this level of professionalism at hotels state-side.

The rooms are spotless and have interesting decor. The site is small, so it feels like a community. It's not one of those sprawling all-inclusives that's mobbed with people. The beach is cozy, almost cute, with palm trees and palapas and plants. It almost has little nooks and crannies to hide away in. You don't feel like you're out on a sprawling, flat beach. It's almost kind of private. Really nice. The water is great and they keep the seaweed cleared away. Unfortunately, we had a bit of bad weather and the red warning flags were out for swimming most of the time we were there.

We went to La Amada on our honeymoon after what seemed like months of research. We almost got married there, but our travel agent dropped the ball with the arrangements and everything fell through. Oh well, it's definitely a gorgeous choice for a destination wedding . . . definitely go for the Lupita Lounge location if you can, even though it isn't on the beach, it's absolutely magical.

La Amada is a great choice for a honeymoon -- excellent food, great service, a pervasive calm that you need after wedding planning your brains out for ages! I noticed a lot of unmarried couples while we were there, and we guessed that a bunch of them would go home engaged. It's a great spot to pop the question!

Some things you should know: it's not adult-only, so even though the entire atmosphere is serene and elegant, you will definitely hear babies crying -- all day. We went while most schools are still in session, so the age group of children in attendance was limited to the under-5 crowd. I love kids and don't care about that, but some people definitely will mind it. One little girl cried every morning all the way through breakfast! As soon as her dad got on the cell phone . . . bam! . . . she lost it! We don't mind that kind of thing, but some people really didn't like it at all.

There is little sound proofing between rooms. We stayed in a beautiful beach-front casita with the private plunge pool. Our upstairs neighbors, baby in tow, typically got up at 6:15 and seemingly dragged every possible chair in the building across the marble floor for 2 hours. I couldn't believe how annoying it was. I think they got room service for the sunrise one morning and dropped the entire tray of glassware on the floor. I live on a fairly busy street at home and am used to a decent amount of morning noise. But this was ridiculous! I suggest staying on a top floor so you can drag your own chairs around.

There was construction on the beach (all day long buzz sawing something inside the lifeguard stand) and on the patio near the beach (putting tile on a new outdoor shower) every day we were there. Consequently, there was construction noise at all times. I know this can't be avoided, it is what it is. But I guess I didn't really like it. Let's put it this way: it would have been much better to NOT have construction noise. But there's so much that's nice about this place, you really kind of give it a pass anyway.

I was really satisfied with my stay until it was time to check out. When I purchased my package (including airfare) through the La Amada website, I was given an offer which included 'full American breakfast" everyday and a complimentary Aqua Viva Hydrotherapy session. In fact, as I made the reservation (and I must have gone through the permutations of it 15 times, changing dates, types of rooms, etc., over a couple of weeks before actually making the reservation, so I remember how the process went) a pop-up window came up for EACH DAY where I had to check a box for "Complimentary Aqua Viva Hydrotherapy" and also check a box "full American breakfast." Essentially, I had to check those boxes again and again over the course of 7 or 8 pop up windows, so I absolutely remember doing it.

Nonetheless, I was informed at check out that breakfast had not been included in my package.

I never even eat breakfast at home, so honestly would never have bothered to go if I didn't think it was included. In fact, we always went at the latest possible time so it would be more like lunch. Also, my husband never liked anything on the buffet, so he ordered a la carte eggs and bacon (which cost about $5). We were charged for the buffet for each of us (about $18 each) plus his a la carte meal. Again, had we known we weren't getting the buffet complimentary, we would have made it very clear to the staff that we were doing a la carte only.

I thought there must have been a mistake, especially becase WE DID get the Aqua Viva hydrotherapy session for free.

I brought my confirmation papers to the front desk and worked with Ruben Kuk to try to resolve the situation. He was really helpful and tried hard to fix the situation, but it really is beyond his control. He told me that by the time I made the reservation they had started offering an all-inclusive option and that even if the pop-up windows came up to offer the breakfast, that somewhere on the page there must have been small print that would have said breakfast wouldn't be included after January 1.

To my surprise, the couple next to me that was also checking out leaned over and said they had gotten breakfast complimentary on their bill and they didn't even know they were going to get it. (They didn't have the all-inclusive option either.) So I was confused as to how Ruben could explain that it wasn't offered anymore (regardless of pop-up windows in the reservation system), when someone right next to me was getting their breakfast complimentary. In fact, Ruben again picked up the phone and called what seemed like a command center, to explain that another couple was getting complimentary breakfast right there and then, but again, he was not given permission to credit us. I politely told Ruben he was helpful and that I wasn't about to get upset on my honeymoon, so we just let it go.

All tolled, we probably spent $40 more than we would have if we'd purchased the all-inclusive option. Not a super big deal, but I couldn't help feeling kind of ripped off. And it really didn't seem like that was their intent. I think it was truly some kind of internet problem or glitch. My advice on this would be: print out everything as you reserve, call to reconfirm what you reserved, and then make the check-in staff go over 'what's included' with your package.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to stop in at the desk here and there to review your current tab and tackle any problems as they arise during your stay. To whit: as we were checking out, another couple was missing their ride to the airport because the hotel had charged them for everything individually when they actually had purchased the all-inclusive option. So the hotel was having to back out every charge, subtract out the gratuity and then recharge the gratuity. This couple was definitely getting stressed out while other travelers sharing their ride to the airport waited outside in the van.

So do it early (checking your bill) and do it often.

So as much as I want to say it was paradise, I kind of walked away with a bad taste in my mouth. I feel a little fooled or ripped off or tricked. It's not the end of the world, really, so we let it go because who wants to feel crummy about their honeymoon?

Some of the great staff members who made our trip memorable: Yolanda, Abraham, Isaac. They are terrific and deserve big raises (in fact, put my breakfast charges toward their salaries, please, then I'll feel better.)

Hampton, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

I am just getting around to writing a review now, but my mother and I went to La Amada last March and had an amazing stay-I am hoping nothing has changed in the past year.
The resort itself and grounds are amazing-beautiful, classy, pristine, and immaculately kept.
The beach is beautiful-the pools are beautiful-and the whole atmosphere is quiet and serene, which is exactly what I was looking for. If you are looking for a lot of socialization and activity this is definitely not the place for you. But if you are looking for a beautiful, quiet, peaceful place to relax and enjoy delicious food, read your book, and have quiet conversations then this will be your new favorite spot.
The only downside is that there is only one restaurant on the property, and the only other hotel that is walking distance is all inclusive so you are not able to eat there. But, that is honestly my only complaint.
I would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Been to The Beloved Hotel? Share your experiences!