“Wonderful relaxing resort - away from it all” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Beloved Hotel

You added The Beloved Hotel to your Saves list
The Beloved Hotel
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Condominio Playa Mujeres, Playa Mujeres 77400, Mexico (Formerly La Amada Hotel)   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 30% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Louisville, Kentucky
“Wonderful relaxing resort - away from it all”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

My wife and I stayed at La Amada 1/14-1/17/11 and throughly enjoyed our stay. We stayed in a first floor ocean front casita with a private plunge pool. When we first arrived, I was a little disappointed with the "ocean front" location - our patio basically looked out to the ocean front pool and restaurant area, with the beach beyond. As we settled in, and I got over my initial disappointment, I came to the conclusion that the other rooms in this class have similar views. If you must have a panoramic view of the ocean, a two story ocean front casita maybe your best bet. I have to say, reflecting on the use of the patio and plunge pool, I believe we enjoyed the room we had more than the roof top space provided with the two story casita. The main advantage we had was a much larger pool and shade - we try to limit our direct sun exposure.

The suite itself was beautiful and clean. The two person shower with multiple shower heads was definitely a plus, and was enjoyed. The spa tub, on the other hand, was obviously for decoration - really too small and shallow for a relaxing two person soak. There was a large glass door that opened onto a large patio. We spent hours with the door open, ceiling fan on, and napping on the wonderful two person lounge on the patio. We had afternoon rain two of the days we were there and actually enjoyed the rain - napping on the sheltered patio listening to the big fat rain drops hit the foliage and sand surrounding our patio. As you can see, our trip was for rest and relaxation. This is not the resort for you if your looking for night life. There are nice restaurants and bars, which we enjoyed. The food was very good. We opted for the all-inclusive package, and would recommend it. We're into food and alcohol - if you buy it all on the "european plan", I think you would quickly reach the $80 per person/per day rate for the all-inclusive plan. We ate, drank and did not worry about the cost (a luxury worth paying for in its own right).

The service was very good - all of our servers and other staff were charming and very accommodating. I can see how some people would say they are overwhelmed - we did have to wait for a check or to place our order or to get a drink several times during our stay. No complaints though, we were on vacation with no particular place to be...

We did a full spa day - each of us enjoying the Agua Viva experience before our treatments - the cold water portions of the experience were quite bracing, but enjoyable in the full context - definitely do not do the circuit after a massage - it would ruin the "afterglow". We both had the 80 min signature massage - mine was excellent - I actually fell asleep during the massage! We have had many spa experiences at many fine resorts and I would rate this spa very highly.

We never left the resort - a short stay and really no inclination to go anywhere. I would recommend arranging an airport transfer through the concierge. $138 is probably steep, but to not fight the insanity outside the airport in Cancun and be taken care of with cold water and chilled towels in the car was worth it to us.

Overall, a wonderful, if too short, stay at La Amada. We easily could have stayed another day or two. I highly recommend this resort for a quite couples retreat.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (599)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

My wife and I spent the first half of our Honeymoon at LaAmada. We added the All Inclusive package, and booked a Junior Oceanfront Suite. Overall, we loved it, but we rate it 4 star. We were told for our Honeymoon they would upgrade our room, but that never happened during check in.

The rooms were huge, nicely laid out, and very clean. I don't think the rooms are set up for families, so be aware. The shower door is glass, and there is a window from the shower that looks out into the bedroom. Perfect for couples or Honeymooners. The hot tub is also a nice touch, and provided an ocean view. One thing to note, the pillows were really small, so sleeping with them took some getting used to.

The food was delicious, very fresh, and well prepared. There are limited dining options, and staying longer then 5 nights may be a little repetitive. There were typically 2 of the 3 restaurants open. The breakfast buffet and menu options were plentiful. My wife is more of the continental type, and I have to have my eggs in the morning so it worked out great. The lounge bar had sushi, and althouhgh I was skeptical for the first 4 days, I was proven wrong when I tried it, it was actually very fresh and creative.

Service was a little off the entire week, but we were in no rush, so it really didn't ruin our experience. We stayed January 2-7th, so I believe it was just a product of the new All Inclusive package and the amount of guests still around after the holiday week. Room service was a little slow one day, but another day it was perfect.

I recommend you check out Isla Mujeres, it was one of our best days. We took a taxi to the ferry terminal then took the ferry about 25 minutest to Isla. I was surprised to hear the local guitar player belting out Billy Joel, pretty entertaining. You should rent a golf cart once you are there. We bought a six pack and toured the island. We stopped in at Zama Beach and Lounge, and it was awesome. They have a beach bar, the ocean right there, and 3 pools that you can use. Very cool spot.

The beach at La Amada was awesome, water was blue, no seaweed problem as mentioned in some other reviews.

The pool was great, but the pool bar never opened, really wish it did.

Golf was great at the course right in the complex. It is pricey, but we had the course to ourselves, and it was in mint condition.

The spa at La Amada was great. We did a couples deep tissue massage and with our treatment we received the 50 minute additional Aqua Viva treatment. That was amazing and the quality for being free was unbelievable.

The alcohol selection was top shelf also. Don Julio, Grey Goose, 1800, etc. Only certain wines were on the AI list, but we were able to find a good selection. Doing the All Inclusive made it worth it. Don't be alarmed, this is not the typical all inclusive place, it is a boutique hotel that happens to have an AI package.

Overall, I would recommend the hotel for the value, the boutique feel, and the rooms.

Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

La Amada is an intimate oasis with a world-class spa.
The food was very good, and the service and staff are extremely personable and hospitable.

The all inclusive represents a great value, especially if you drink alcohol.

TIP: Take your mind and body to the next level with an Aqua Viva treatment followed by a eucalyptus massage.
I wish we had gotten a casita - our suite was gorgeous and included a private indoor/outdoor jacuzzi on our balcony, but I couldn't help thinking that the casitas were probably even more amazing.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

This was our first major trip without kids in many years, and our first out of the U.S. We searched hundreds of resorts and reviews, with several main criteria in mind: Affordable, all inclusive, quiet, safe and scrupulously clean. With La Amada offering some steep discounts as they kicked off their all inclusive program, we were able to get a great rate, and the resort was perfect in meeting all of our criteria. It was away from the hustle and bustle of the hotel zone in Cancun, and was very private, with security, so we felt very safe. The rooms and all other areas were spotless, with many nice amenities. There was very little noise at any time to bother us in our relaxation. The beach was beautifully maintained. We were a bit surprised at the food, which was quite fancy Mexican gourmet, with everything very carefully prepared and presented. We are not normally gourmet eaters, but found many excellent dishes that we enjoyed. While we were there, the resort was not busy, so the two main restaurants alternated supper service, with the grill and room service open every day. That was fine for us. We used all of the dining options, including lunches in our lounger at the beach. All service people were very friendly and also very professional. The hotel is clearly very well managed. With the all inclusive being a new option, there was a bit of procedural uncertainty in the restaurants, but in the end it was only paperwork. They'll get it worked out in due time. My wife and I indulged ourselves in the spa, with a massage, and the very unique Agua Vita water treatment which preceded it. This was an extra, but they gave discount coupons, and believe me, it was well worth it. In summary, we got to have the most relaxing few days of our adult lives, and loved every minute of it. We highly recommend this property for anyone looking for a quiet, relaxing, safe, enjoyable getaway. By the way, the pictures on the website look exactly like the pictures we took while there.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

Amazing hotel, impeccable and absolutely stunning. Amazing beach, very private, small upscale resort. Very tastefully decorated with best designer furniture, great style (custom-styled menues, little notebooks, travel brochures, l'occitane toiletries replenished daily - they DO invest in details), lovely fusion cuisine, spa beyond belief! "Aquavita" routine is a must for everyone visiting - don't go home without experiencing one. Dinners at the hotel restaurant better than anything that Cancun hotel zone had to offer. Room service menu is also superb AND cheaper than at both restaurants. Plus, you can dine in the comfort of your home taking in the views. If you want to club and hang out absolutely rent a car - driving around Yucatan is a breeze. We stayed in a swim-up room. It's not really swim-up, as there is a stretch of grass that you have to cross and in August pools were beyond hot - the only complaint I can think of :) I'm quite a picky traveller, so take it from me, the place if PERFECT. No outside food allowed, which is fair, but we did, however, sneak in a few bottles of wine that we bought in a nice supermarket don't the road to the hotel zone. Water was complimentary and plentiful, towels as well. Cocktails on the beach pricey but delectable. If you go deep-sea fishing, you can bring the catch and the chef will cook it for you for a modest price - nothing really beats fresh self-caught fish cooked by a top-class chef, grab this chance!
Would recommend it 100% for both families with kids and couples. Would not recommend fans of loud parties, all-inclusives and spring-breakers. It's on the expensive side but you get loads of satisfaction for every dollar you spend.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago suburb
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

La Amada means "the beloved", and that is how we felt the entire week of our stay. We chose the hotel because, on our internet map, it looked to be far enough away from the hub-bub of the 23-kilometer long main hotel zone, and accompanying shopping and restaurants - something we weren't interested in.

The hotel is situated on a beautiful white sand beach. It has only 200 rooms,many of them junior suites or larger. We stayed in a junior suite with our adult son. (His girlfriend stayed in the next room - we are so proper!) The bedroom/living room was quite spacious, and opened up to a spacious balcony overlooking 2 beautiful pools and a garden area. There was also a hot tub attached to the suite. The washroom was huge - as large as some of the hotel rooms we have stayed at elsewhere. And the shower was amazing! There was also a walk-in closet.

We did not take the all-inclusive meal plan, but breakfast was included in our room rate. The breakfast was nice.

We spent a lot of our day on the beautiful beach under one of the many thatched roof umbrellas that spanned the beach,attended by one of the large and very friendly and competent staff, who constantly came around taking orders. We are not usually beach people, but this set-up was way too alluring! There are some tented cabanas on the beach and we thought about renting one for a day, but decided that the "free" thatched umbrellas were so nice that we wouldn't gain anything by sitting elsewhere. One "warning" about the beach - it gets a bit breezy in the later afternoon - maybe that is only this time of year. So, if you don't like breezes, you can sun from morning until 3, and then take a break!

The resort staff is amazingly friendly and helpful, from the housekeeping staff to the beach staff!

La Amada offers some very nice and unusual activites. It has a spectacular spa that has an "Agua Vita" area - all sorts of water treatments - too many to describe here..see the website. We did the "Agua Vita circuit" one day and were blown away by it.

There is a very nice lounge where drinks and sushi are served and different musicians perform in the early evening every night.

Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

Just returned from a 6-day stay (1/2 - 8/2011) at La Amada on Playa Mujeres. Booked through Gilt.com/Jetsetter.com online buying club and reserved a 2-story beachfront casita with private plunge pool on the roof. Took the all-inclusive package (unlimited mini-bar, room service/all meals and most beverages included in price). We stayed in a casita near the beach-side/adjacent to La Isla Grille. My traveling companion was my 18 year-old son home on a month-long winter break from college.

Airport transfers arranged by La Amada were flawless. Place was super-clean, very elegant, excellent/attentive service. After a few days most of the serving staff and Luis, the pool/beach concierge, knows your name. Food was surprisingly good overall, even if the Grill menu did not change very much. Beach drinks packed a powerful punch. Room service was punctual. Breakfast buffet was excellent. This staff moved a lot quicker than some staff at high-end Mexican resorts I've had the pleasure to visit.

The Spa at La Amada was lovely. Its signature "Aqua Viva" (circuit of hydrotherapy) was a little silly but is complimentary with spa treatment. I enjoyed two massages, one with the hydrotherapy, one without. You can skip the water play and not miss much. 80-minute massage with Adrian (male massage therapist) was excellent.

THIS PLACE SMELLS GREAT! The entire reception area and spa area is heavily doused with aromatherapy scent(s). It was delightful. Upon arrival you are given a welcome drink (ours was champagne) and chilled washcloths. Lovely.

Not much to do here but our purpose was mainly relaxation and reading, anyway. We did venture into Cancun just once to pick up a few gifts (we've been/stayed in the main hotel zone previously -- been there, did that -- so shopping/nightlife/dining was not important to us) and the hotel-arranged private car & driver was punctual and efficient. There is a good-looking, well-equipped gym (which we did not use) and tennis courts. Water excusrions and the like can be arranged via the helpful concierge (see Merle).

My only knock against this place is that on this particular week (week after Christmas and it was still plenty busy) a couple of the features were not in operation: swim-up bar at the main pool never opened, a refreshments stand at the 2nd pool was never in service, either). The resort seemed busy enough to warrant the swin-up bar, but the food/drink service on the beach and at the pool were both good, so we didn't really miss it. Our rooftop plunge pool never really warmed up to a comfortable temperature for bobbing and soaking, either. Beach towels were always plentiful and there seemed to be no problem securing a lounge chair at the beach or pool, things that have eluded me during other resort trips.

Daily housekeeping was excellent and evening turn-down service was prompt (my teen slept on the pull-out sleeper sofa while I got the big comfy king bed).

There's no real privacy in the casitas; it is an open floor plan so the toilet is only behind a glass door in the shower/sink area. (Uh, and no fan, if you know what I mean.) It was ok for us but it might bug others. And the shower...oh my! A HUGE rainforest-type shower head above accompanied by 3 wall-mounted jets plus an available hand-held. Aromatic L'Occitane bath products were ample.

My son and I are big chess players so we were very happy to see the giant chess board and pieces upon our arrival, but, unfortunately, several of the pieces have gone missing. I hope the resort replaces them becaue it was fun to walk around on the board and move the giant pieces around. Also gave us something to do.

Very happy with La Amada. It is far away from the bustle of Cancun. Definitely book a casita and enjoy the lower patio with king-lounger, chairs and table and the upstairs plunge pool (also with king-sized lounger and outdoor shower). Our casita was not very big and we were told that the casitas only have the one bedroom downstairs. I guess if you need more room book two adjacent casitas or two rooms in the main hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Been to The Beloved Hotel? Share your experiences!