“Beautiful and relaxing hotel with excellent service, but poor and expensive food options” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Beloved Hotel

You added The Beloved Hotel to your Saves list
The Beloved Hotel
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Condominio Playa Mujeres, Playa Mujeres 77400, Mexico (Formerly La Amada Hotel)   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 35% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

La Amada is well-removed from the craziness of the Cancun hotel zone, which is both an asset and its downside. My husband and I were looking for a relaxing vacation away from the hustle and bustle, and we certainly found that in La Amada. Unfortunately, we were disappointed and frustrated by the poor and inappropriately expensive food and drink options at the hotel – and the hotel’s isolation made that a problem.

The best aspects of La Amada:

The setting: The hotel is an isolated and beautiful oasis. The grounds are immaculately kept, and the low buildings make the sun and sky the stars of the resort. We specifically sought a hotel where the pace and surroundings would encourage relaxation, and La Amada accomplished that wonderfully.

The rooms: We stayed in one of the 2-story beach front casitas and adored our room. Roomy and relaxing, we had plenty of space between the room, the patio, and the deck on the third story. Our view was fantastic, and our favorite place to relax and soak it all in – day and night - was in our private plunge pool. And as mentioned in many previous reviews, the shower is wonderful.

The service: Every employee we encountered was gracious, friendly and accommodating. During the turn-down service in the evenings, the towels in the room were replaced, the trash emptied, and coupons left for featured spa services the following day. The service around the hotel was exceptional in every respect, and never overbearing.

The cleanliness: Everything was spotless. The grounds, the lobby, our room, the pools, everything. Though I’m not a germ-phobic person, the exceptional cleanliness is noticeable at La Amada.

The worst aspect of La Amada:

The food and drink: Average quality but very poor value. As others have mentioned, breakfast is included in the cost of the room, which is a nice benefit. However, the hotel recovers that cost by charging high prices for drinks and food at other meals. Food options are very limited, with small menus and only one restaurant open for each meal. Lunch ran about $40-50 U.S. pre-tip for two people for entrees and non-alcoholic drinks. Room service at any meal cost about the same. Dinner at Aroma is pricey, and the portions are very small by American standards. By the middle of the week I was extremely tired of paying $4 U.S. for every small glass of flat Diet Coke. Alcoholic drinks were very expensive: my husband’s margaritas at the swim-up bar were $16 U.S. each. We enjoyed the French press coffee at breakfast and my husband liked the beef fajitas at lunch, but other than that I’d be hard-pressed to come up with a single memorable food item. I’m happy to pay higher prices for satisfying, high quality food, but at La Amada I felt like I was being charged prices way out of proportion to the quality of the product.

I should mention that though I’d read in reviews here that outside food and drink were not allowed at the hotel, we were never informed of this policy by the hotel and did not encounter it in any of the hotel information online or in the room. We routinely purchased snacks and drinks at the Superama supermarket (on Bonampak Av. on the right on your way to the hotel) and brought them back to our room, and were never told we could not do so.

Other comments:

The beach was wonderful. The water is clear and calm near the shore, and we spent a good deal of time relaxing in the shallows and soaking up the sun. I’d read about the seaweed on the shore, but it was a non-issue.

Though there were some families with young children at the resort, it doesn’t strike me as a family place. The hotel feels much more like a couples or adults-only environment, and it’s not a place I’d choose to travel with children.

Traveling as we were in August, the pools were all very warm – like bathwater. This made swimming something less than a refreshing escape from the heat of the sun.

The bed was hard by my standards, and my husband was frustrated that the room temperature could not be set below 68F. Other than that, our room was very comfortable.

Recommendation:

I recommend La Amada, but with a few caveats. Unless you are on an unlimited budget, I would spend your money on your desired room and a rental car, and plan to eat all of your dinners away from the hotel. We had a fabulous time trying out some of the Cancun restaurants we’d read about. The hotel really is wonderful aside from the food issue; it’s a shame that the unreasonable expense for meals marred an otherwise very enjoyable experience at La Amada.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (686)
  • Korean first
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

My girlfriend and I booked a trip to La Amada because we found a great deal on Travelzoo, and loved the pictures on the website. We first checked here and found virtually no terrible reviews. We got the Jr. Suite at a steal for about $120 a night. When we checked in we were upgraded to a swim up suite, which we were kind of expecting based on other reviews. I was skeptical because I pictured a loud pool and little privacy. turns out La Amada has 3 separate pools (not including rooms with individual pools). Our room was pretty luxurious and huge. the shower was the size of my bathroom at home and had about 6 different jets. everything was marbled, and we had a separate living room area, as well as a jacuzzi in the room looking out back! the swim up suite turned out to be great. we had a bed and table set on our back porch, and there was actually a stone stepway between us and the pool. i was thrilled with this since i could go back and forth between our room, our porch, and the pool and lounge chairs. la amada had 2 restaurants - aroma for breakfast, isla for lunch, and aroma again for dinner - plus a lounge called lupita. i would say that the lack of more restaurants was really my only complaint, but even thats not a big complaint because the food was outstanding. the prices were definitely above what you pay in downtown cancun, (10-15 mins by car) but youre at a resort, so you expect to pay more. i can't iterate enough how good the food was and the portions were huge. i was shocked. we also found the service to be great, people were always around to take care of you. we found the bar tenders and wait staff to be particularly accommodating and very generous with drinks. one waiter used the line "anything here is possible", we liked that. my girlfriend got a massage at the spa - which they gave us $25 for on check in - and they told her to arrive early for a 1 hour aqua viva treatment consisting of different hydrotherapies, rub downs, steam room etc. she said that she felt her massage - she got like a basic 60 min massage, was way beyond her expectations. I would say that provided this place doesn't start charging prices that are too crazy for us, we will definitely go back, even if we have to go during the low season again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

I just returned from a five night (S - F) stay with my family (12 & 8 yr old boys). We thought it was the perfect relaxing vacation. Everything was as promised. This resort looks just like adverstisment photos. We had a swim up room and the boys loved that the pool was only a few steps away. There are three pools on the property. They all tend to be a little warm which is good heading into fall. The pool with the swim up bar was the coolest. The beach is a beautiful clear, green color and yes there is a little seaweed but it wasn't a problem. We all felt the service from the front desk to the beach was excellent. The staff is really friendly and we all felt we had made new friends after our stay. The boys loved the chocolate treats on the bed each night. We loved the quiet surroundings. We used Cancun Transfers from the airport and they were on time for each trip. We also took a snorkeling trip using Diving Dog Tours and it was worth the drive into Puerto Moreles. We had our own personal tour guide. A few night week took cabs into the downtown area ($20 each way). We ate twice at John Grays Downtown. Great prices, great food and a nice casual atmoshpere. I tried the spa twice and it too was such a treat. Make time for the Aqua treatment that they offer with each service. We ate lunch at the pool restaurant and everything was very good. We also went to the Lupita Lounge a few time in the evening and enjoyed the music and food. Make sure to go on Wednesday for the Welcome Event. Our only complaint was the bed - a little to hard for our comfort level. Everyone was so relaxed by the end of the week we didn't want to leave.

Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

Please don't be fooled by the website and appearance of this hotel. My boyfreind and I booked this hotel based on days of research on various websites and reviews. From the moment we drove up to the resort in our airport taxi, the place was a nightmare. There are guard stations that allow you entrance into the resort. The staff were very rude and suspicious. Although they don't tell you this on their website, they do not allow you to bring your own water or food to the hotel, and strongly monitor your actions. We were constantly being reminded of the rules at the hotel even though we were hardly ever there. We went out to the beach on our second night there, and for the most part traveled to other areas in Cancun. They do not allow you to have guests in your room, or will charge you an additional 60 dollar per person guest fee. It is impossible to plan a vacation with friends with the extreme restrictions. The rooms are beautiful, however, have glass doors for the bathrooms and shower, so forget privacy. We stayed there 3 out of the 5 night vacation and then transferred to another hotel due to treatment we received. We have traveled to Cozumel and Isla Mujeres in the past and never experienced this. They will charge you for everything and not allow you to relax on your vacation. I would not recommend this resort to anyone.

Centreville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

Just returned from my second trip to La Amada and what can I say but spectacular. I simply love this resort and can't think of anywhere else in the Cancun area that even comes close to the stunning accommodations or service that one receives at this hotel. The atmosphere is serene, the beaches pristine, and the service unparalleled in my experience. I stayed in one of the Beachfront Casitas and I highly recommend them...well worth the money. The full service spa is also a must! I will no doubt return year after year for a taste of the good life. If you want to pamper yourself then don't delay and schedule your trip...I can assure you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
El Paso, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

very nice private place further away from all the major hotel zone and all the people and traffic. Best service , friendliest waiters and all the staff are very nice and make you feel as if you are the only people there as in very special. Even if they don't have something on the menu and you ask for it they will do their best to try and make it for you as well as anything you need. i would highly recommend it !

Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

Our room was nice. So were the beach and the swimming pools (although all swimming pools are chest-deep for some reason). The breakfast buffet (included) was fair, but very similar day to day; if you don't mind crappy sparkling wine, you can have it for free at breakfast. The hotel is kid-friendly. The restaurants are overpriced. The Mexican dishes they offer are good. Other things are often not good; their pizza was awful. The cocktails are so ridiculously expensive that you have to be out of your mind to order them (once you realize what they cost). A small okay-quality mojito was 150 pesos (about $12 US at the current rate). Other cocktails ranged between 140 and 200 pesos. The only exception was Ojo Rojo, which is a tasty cocktail made with beer. It was about 65 pesos. Wines were expensive and many were not good.
We have high expectations for childcare places. Their "Kids Club" was a disappointment. The staff kept wanting to turn on a movie for the kids even as they were trying to do another scheduled activity with them. At other times they had scheduled movie time. I don't know about you, but if I wanted to park my kid in front of a TV screen, I could do that myself.
There are way to many people in the touristy Cancun trying to take advantage of tourists, trick them, or simply get their money by being overly persistent. In La Amada too many people are trying to bring you your car to the front while it is parked 300 feet away, carry your luggage, clean your room twice a day, and provide various services for which it is customary to tip. A car was a good idea. Although La Amada is a bit far from the city, we ventured out to the city (Downtown or Center of Cancun; stay away from the ridiculous phenomenon of Zona Hotelera unless you want to overpay even more for badly executed Americanish food there) for dinner and drinks every night. The car also allowed us to visit another town, to get the best meal we had in Mexico for 105 pesos (a meal for 3 with a beer; yeah less than one cocktail at La Amada) at a roadside restaurant outside of Puerto Morelo, a cenote, and an artisans market.
One of the best things about La Amada is its proximity to the archeological site called El Meco (an ancient Mayan village). It is so close to La Amada. But they barely tell you about it. "It is small", they say. It was much more impressive than we imagined.
Overall, it is an okay hotel, but not fabulous for what you get for your money. There are probably better values out there in the Yucatan.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to The Beloved Hotel? Share your experiences!